Kids Can No Longe Be Kids

Wait, where has this actually gone into effect? This compliment tag?

That is beyond stupid. The worst that ever happened to me playing tag was that I triped. But you know what? I got back up and continued chasing after so-and-so.

I do, however, understand that there needs to be more restrictions on dodgeball. That game IS violent. It doesn't matter how many times you tell kids to hit only below the waist, they're still going to aim it at somebody's head. And when the teacher can't find the designated soft dodgeball ball to play with they get a soccer ball, so that's not fun. Plus if somebody walks into the gym they might get hit because you can't control a game of dodgeball.

But really. Whenever you play a sport or a game you have to be aware there's a chance you might lose and/or get injured. The criminal justice system calls that informed consent. That's why we don't go around ordering Joe Blow to pay John Smith 500K just because Joe whacked the hockey puck in John's face. No, we say "Sorry Mr. Smith, but you consented to this game, you were aware an injury might happen. And you know what? You seem fine to this court right now".

And of course there's the factor of kids not being prepared for the real world. Imagine that. You're working in a typical office job and somebody asks you to pass them the report on such-and-such. You pass it to them, and suddenly they scream. "You gave me a paper cut!!!" and fall to the floor in tears.

Those of you in the GTA will remember last spring when a kid actually died from injuries sustained in a rugby game. After the parents chose to take him off life support, you never heard anything about it again. The kid who caused it wasn't charged, there was no inquiry, high school rugby games went on. This of course is an extreme case, but everyone knows the risks. A good friend on mine was trying her damndest to get a girls rugby team at our school in tenth grade, and the only reason she couldn't get it is because they didn't have double the amount of players needed. Everyone on the field needed a sub. That was the school taking all the precautions they were required to. You can't blame them if anyone got hurt after that.

Whats next? Kids cannot play any games at all? I mean.. loved running around the school yard playing tag. I enjoyed it. And I cant count the bruises, cuts and stuff that I got from playing games in school. Ball games, tag games...
Arent kids supposed to be having fun and playing??

I think todays kids are missing out on a lot of stuff that we had as a kid. I am only 23 but I see a hughe difference between what I did as a child and what one of the girls I am babysitting (age 7) does. Its a real shame. What's better for a child to run around, get dirty, end up with a few bruises but at least enjoy the game? I know I will let my kids play tag and climb trees anytime!

And compliment tag? Whats the point of that? it can still cause kids to feel left out. I mean, if you dont know of a compliment to give someone you wouldnt tag them now would you? And in the end a kid would realise no one tagged him so he got no compliments... I wonder if it makes him feel good to know the others did and he didnt.

Back to good old fashioned tag!

I always hated school yard games. I would always stand in the corner and wait for the stupid break to be over. I don't feel like I was missing out on much as a kid.

The real fun began after school anyway. I'd climb trees and build stuff with my cousin in our grandpa's cellar. We had our minds full of shit :lol:

Personally I don't remember many games because I didn't play them much but when I was working in an elementary school last year I saw the kids playing around just well. There were no rules prohibiting certain games or anything. The only real rules were not to throw stones/sand etc, put on a jacket before going out and don't hit/kick other kids.

Mostly though the girls would stand in huddles in the corners and the boys would play soccer. Much like I remembered from my own school days...

Although, at my school we didn't have a computer room for the kids whereas in the school I worked at we had 14 PCs for the kids to play on during lunch break. I would have prefered having that, too.

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but in the UK, i heard that some schools are banning kids playing tag because it influences anti social behaviour in later life. I played tag all the time and i'm fine. I was simply brought up by responcible parents. Nothing to do with playing tag, I love tag, i'm nearly 19 and I still play it sometimes. :p

So what? I'm antisocial, do I sound like I've turned out horrible? :rolleyes:

Why on earth would they think "tag" would lead to antisocial behaviour?

To be honest, I think you guys are overreacting a bit. Sure, the schoolboards have taken it way to far, but to say that kids aren't allowed to be kids? It's not like they're forbidden to play the games after school, it's more of a liability issue than anything else. At my elementary school two kids broke their collarbones from tag, one boy got his nose broken and another got a concussion during dodgeball and I know there were other injuries surrounding the games (though maybe we just played harder than the other schools).

Kid's are resilient, they'll find another way to have fun if it isn't through tag or red rover and another game like that.

And the games that don't have winners or losers? They still do. The kids aren't stupid, they know that the team that scored 5 goals beat the team that only scored 3, even if the teacher says that they all played well and that there was no champion. You're not giving them enough credit.

No offense to all of you, but I agree with Showtime. Kids are going to be kids whether the school allows it or not. Getting rid of tag and dodgeball doesn't make you an adult.

I totally got hurt during dodge ball once. I was standing on the wall and the boys thought it was funny to hit the girls and I got hit in the face. My head bounced off the wall and I got a bump the size of a baseball on the back of my head.

At my elementary school, we couldn't play any form of tag. I didn't turn out too bad. No one from my school did, I mean though the kids can't play tag, they find other things to do. They're kids, they're more creative than we like to think.

Erm,if it's going to be "everyone is a winner" there won't be even any scores.

But let's put it that way - if school bans all the games, allk they do there is sit and learn? I think those games just bring fun to the games and days won't be so long and boring. I hate the idea that little kids have to spend schooldays like the ones in Upper Secondary School - just study and study during the day.

I remember, well it was already when we were on 8th grade so more like teens and we asked headmaster if we could get some boardgames and stuff for the breaks so would be more... fun, we'd enjoy more and she just replied "school is place for study, not for enjoy"

:rolleyes:

But then again, what happens to PE? I mean, football, volleyball, basketball,ice hockey, ringette and here Finnish baseball - all where you can get hurt - shall we ban those too?

DaWacko said:
Erm,if it's going to be "everyone is a winner" there won't be even any scores.

The games are still played. Football, baseball, dodgeball, american football, rugby, ultimate ... it's not like they just don't play them anymore. They just don't record the scores. As I said before, you're not giving the kids enough credit. These are sports they're familiar with. It doesn't matter if the teacher says that there was no winning (or losing) team. The kids know that if they make the shot they've earned a point, even if its not broadcasted.

Haven't you ever played a game of football for fun? You've not completely ignored the score and just played, and lost track of who scored what and how many goals whomever missed? Because you should try it sometime, it's just as fun, if not more.

Seriously, why don't you just ask a kid in elementary school if they feel their missing out on something in PE? I don't know why everyone is up in arms about this. It's hardly even newsworthy.

Showtime said:
Haven't you ever played a game of football for fun? You've not completely ignored the score and just played, and lost track of who scored what and how many goals whomever missed? Because you should try it sometime, it's just as fun, if not more.

Not really. It's can be fun even you keep the score. It depends is it play for fun or so. We've had some hilarious little football games.

But I guess I put my nose in wrong subject because I think this isn't problem here (even tho some sports - don't know are those stil played)

I remember when our teacher banned snowball fight :rolleyes:
But that - was really understandable.

Here in the US it appears the big issue of the decade for schools is childhood obesity. This conversation really highlights that problem. School districts, school boards, attorneys and administrators want to change games, or remove games that involve intensive physical activity because of issues pertaining to "safety" or children's psychological development; however, these same adults play the "How are we going to address this childhood obesity epidemic?" card without taking into account their actions.

I grew up playing games. I wasn't the most graceful or athletic, but the games helped me in developing those sides of myself. I wanted to win, so I competed harder and faster. Even if I didn't win, I considered myself a winner if I beat my old personal time/score/etc. If I was on a team, we were cheering for all parts of our whole.

The world is about competing, whether it be competing for a job, scholarship, client, award, trophy or anything else. Kids need to learn that competition is healthy, but honest competition and sportsmanship are the keys to success. They aren't going to learn this if the adults keep babying them.

They banned us from playing with conkers and said if we did want to play with them, we had to wear protective eyewear.

The only reason all this is coming about is not to 'protect children' like they say, it's to stop parents suing the crap out of establishments such as schools and after school clubs.

If there weren’t so many lawyers offering to get you cash payouts for little bumps in the playground, kids could still play in ignorant bliss. Now though, people are looking to jump on the band wagon and see who they can get money out of next.

I think half the things they band these days are completely stupid!! People say school is where you learn skills for late life not just things like English, maths, history etc So I dont see how wrapping these kids in cotton wool untill they leave school is doing them much good! And its not just games is it!! There are a lot more rules and regulations nowadays of people scared of getting sued etc!!! My grandad always goes on about how teachers used to throw things at them after doing something wrong and he said he never did it again :lol: BUt nowadays kids throw things at the teachers and dont get punished in fright of parents etc!! i think the whole thing is ridicules!

I'm with natty on this one.........although probably a generation apart..sigh! I went to school in the 70's and early 80's....We had one teacher who used to throw a board duster at us if we weren't paying attention.sure got us to pay attention :lol: If we were really bad we got we got six hits with the slipper (a very old, very big mens sandal) I never got that but I'm told it hurt like hell....For more major altercations you'd get the cane from the headmistress, see above... Even the most unruly of lads were brought down to size with that one and the rest of us stayed in line for fear of it......I don't think it did one of us any harm, we all turned out fine....AND we had snowball fights, played british bulldog, marbles, had skipping ropes in school (and didn't attempt to strangle anyone with them) played hide and seek, tag and rounders....got my two front teeth knocked out with a rounders post (what are dentists for anyhow?) I can't remember anyone being scarred for life for not being picked first for the football team.........

We also had a health care nurse come around to the primary schools looking in the kids hair...we all used to call her 'nitty nora the biddy explorer' Outbreaks of headlice were few and far between.....but now......It's classed as 'abuse' for a health care worker to look at a kids hair in school.......we're getting letters back from school every other week about outbreaks.....It's unreal...... :rolleyes:

We also had a health care nurse come around to the primary schools looking in the kids hair...we all used to call her 'nitty nora the biddy explorer' Outbreaks of headlice were few and far between.....but now......It's classed as 'abuse' for a health care worker to look at a kids hair in school
Whaaaaaaat??? When I was in the first/second grade, we used to have people come and check us for lice. I never felt like I was being abused :confused: That would have been about 15 years ago (wow, I suddenly feel old... even if I'm not :lol:)

Back