"It Was a Very Good Year" Discussion **SPOILERS**

I really enjoyed this episode and not just because it was a Greg case. I thought it was a strong forensics episode and really had a good share of all the cast in the episode. Overall it really felt like a team effort.

warrick17, this was the first time we actually saw Greg's book. A lot of us didn't think we would ever see it but they brought it back which was great.

Only thing I thought was a little weak was the guy's actual motive for killing Alison.

I really do enjoy the old Vegas history. I find it fascinating. And it was nice to see Morgan point out Greg's enthusiasm for it. I've always loved how Eric's plays that out. The little flashback with him narrating it was very cool.

I loved hearing some of the music until they had the hip hop track. :lol: Hodges is funny. But that was a cool thing about the wood glue and vinyl albums trick.

I would say more but I will save that for the Greg thread. Overall a very solid episode. I'd give it an A.

I liked the episode. Greg/Eric did a great job, and it was nice to see him a lot since he's only had small parts in previous episodes. I thought the little twist at the end where Alison was to give the record to Greg was nice, though bittersweet.

I would like to see Morgan and Greg hook up; but I will admit, I wanted Sara to be there for him in the locker room at the end, kind of like he was there for her in The Chick Chop Flick (was that the name?).

I agree with Dizzney that the motive for the killing was kind of lame, considering the rage it involved, but that has been an issue for me in several of the crimes on CSI. Often times the killer isn't fleshed out enough to make it totally believable; probably due to time constraints.

I was happy to see a good amount of Sara, and I thought she looked great. Nice to see Brass. Hodges was funny. Some good forensics, especially with the vinyl records and the glue. (more believable than the pottery lines in Committed, lol.) DB was great, as always; nice to see his LDR issues are resolved so easily, unlike a certain couple that I'm rather partial to. .:censored:

I would have liked to hear a little more music in the episode, but what was there was well done.
And it is nice to have continuity with so many past storylines this season. I think the new writers are doing their homework.

B+ from me for this one.

Last edited:
Loved this episode!

I was initially sceptical how they Greg was going to take the personal issue, particularly seeing as we've had the CSIs getting personal in the past three episodes. But I think they did it well in this one. The personal loss was put in the background and didn't dilute the case. I particularly love how Greg initially felt sorrow for Allison's death but when it came to the case he went into his excited "Old-Vegas geek" mode.

The scene between Greg and DB about conflict of interest was excellent. I liked that Greg had the confidence to call DB out and DB admitted he was wrong. The decision to take Greg off the "frontline" was good executive one, and one which put DB back in my good books.

Lots of crime scene investigation in this one! Liked seeing the reappearance of the luminol spray, the procedure to retrieve serial numbers and Hodges' explanation of the vinyl glue. It was refreshing to have an episode where guns weren't drawn too.

I'll agree with all of you who said the killer's motivations were weak. I think it would have played out better had he inadvertently killed her, stuffed her in the piano to cover up and felt bad about the killing afterwards. I did not see the twist concerning Ledo coming though! That one to one with Greg and Ledo near the end (and the two uniformed officers too, that's refreshing!) was excellent too!

Loved seeing Brass back in action, and his little piano dabbling at the beginning. I realise that's contamination of the scene but it was worth it for that little insight! Nick, Sara and Finn didn't have a huge amount to do in the large scale of things but they were very prominent throughout, I like it when they get a good balance of the characters in. :)

I think they missed out not having a scene with Greg and Sara, considering their friendship throughout but I was pretty happy with his scenes with Morgan. I'm not wild about a Greg and Morgan pairing but I'd take it over a Morgan and Hodges pairing and the two work well together. It will be interesting to see where the writers will take them.

Overall... it was a very good episode! Definitely in my top 20 partly because Greg's probably my favourite character on the show (although it's pretty close between them all). Strong case, strong forensics work, nice subdued emotion tied in with a nice bit of continuity. :)

I hope this is a good sign for things to come because after a shaky premiere, each episode appears to be getting better and better.

Rating: 8.8/10

A strong, solid episode. One minor nitpick: mobsters and pianos involved and no mention of Warrick? Other than that big :bolian: up.

The scene between Greg and DB about conflict of interest was excellent. I liked that Greg had the confidence to call DB out and DB admitted he was wrong. The decision to take Greg off the "frontline" was good executive one, and one which put DB back in my good books.

Lots of crime scene investigation in this one! Liked seeing the reappearance of the luminol spray, the procedure to retrieve serial numbers and Hodges' explanation of the vinyl glue. It was refreshing to have an episode where guns weren't drawn too.

I'll agree with all of you who said the killer's motivations were weak. I think it would have played out better had he inadvertently killed her, stuffed her in the piano to cover up and felt bad about the killing afterwards. I did not see the twist concerning Ledo coming though! That one to one with Greg and Ledo near the end (and the two uniformed officers too, that's refreshing!) was excellent too!

Loved seeing Brass back in action, and his little piano dabbling at the beginning. I realise that's contamination of the scene but it was worth it for that little insight! Nick, Sara and Finn didn't have a huge amount to do in the large scale of things but they were very prominent throughout, I like it when they get a good balance of the characters in. :)

I think they missed out not having a scene with Greg and Sara, considering their friendship throughout but I was pretty happy with his scenes with Morgan. I'm not wild about a Greg and Morgan pairing but I'd take it over a Morgan and Hodges pairing and the two work well together. It will be interesting to see where the writers will take them.

Agree! Especially about the part concerning a Sara/Greg scene. Whoever said it yes back in the Chick Chop Flick Shop I think it was :) Strong beginning for the season. Hopefully it continued that way.

kudos to csi, to achieve a really smooth character transition over the years.the progress with greg reminds me a bit of john carters(ER) story, but of course with less drama.at least it reflects some intentions from authorities on how they planning his character development.yeah, it could be obvious that people need to gain experience in order to mature, or learn about their mistakes.in gregs case im just glad they showcased it in bits(side character), but continuously.that makes good tv.

kudos to csi, to achieve a really smooth character transition over the years.the progress with greg reminds me a bit of john carters(ER) story, but of course with less drama.at least it reflects some intentions from authorities on how they planning his character development.yeah, it could be obvious that people need to gain experience in order to mature, or learn about their mistakes.in gregs case im just glad they showcased it in bits(side character), but continuously.that makes good tv.

Good point ! Congratulations. Unfortunately, I don't feel the same about others characters like Nick. He's still my favorite but at some point they lost his soul.

When I watched Nick flirt with a witness only because she has opened the door using underwear... :confused:

And I've seen more things like that. :(

In this episode they also used the same joke they did in season 1 episode 3, with a Grateful Dead mention. In season 1 it was Sara asking Grissom if he was listening to a Grateful Dead CD, this time it was Finn asking DB.

I don't know if this should be seen as a hint that the writers haven't forgotten about the old seasons or if they can't come up with new jokes... :rolleyes:

I had forgotten about his book until this episode mentioned it.

I didn't forget but I was sure the writers had. It was great (at least for us Gerg fans) that we finally found out that his book was published after all. There had been no mention of it since 'For Warrick'.

I really enjoyed this episode, we don't get eps that focus on Greg very often and the last one AKBF was disappointing because it was too different. (and IMO did not put Greg in a very good light)

I somewhat agree with Dizzney that the motive was weak. however there are some people that are so obsessed with another person that the thought of that person loving someone else could potentially make them snap.

A lot of old Vegas stuff, good forensics and solid character time.

Last edited:
Thought this episode was one of the better ones this season ... though, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm really getting tired of the "personal connections to cases" trend in which CSIs should immediately recuse themselves. However, beyond that, I was amazed at the Sinatra sound-/lookalike. He just about stole the show. I wish they would've used him more ... but then it might have been more obvious that he was the killer.

Sorry guys! They pulled the ol' switcheroo and ran this one last night instead. :alienblush: So I'm sticking the thread if you want to discuss. :)

I was glad they switched because I really did not want to watch "Karma to Burn" again. I think that was my least fave of the season so far.

This episode and CSI On Fire are my 2 favorite season 13 episodes, so far. All the season 13 episodes have been good but, IMO, this episode and CSI On Fire have been the 2 best ones so far.

Back