Is Lindsay a Mary Sue character?

*breathes deeply* :D Have I mentioned before that I love a good discussion? :D *pets TalkCSI*

xfcanadian said:
Yeah, like the fact that we're supposed to believe she's in her mid-twenties, given her years as a CSI and the training she would have had to get beforehand?

I would say that Hawkes is more unrealistic for this category, since he is WAY to young to be a forensic pathologist...
It's been established (at least in the online bio) that Hawkes was a prodigy. With Lindsay, I wonder if they even considered the time it would take for her to become a CSI?

midnight_tiptoes said:
If you put Lindsay through a Mary Sue litmus test, you don't get that high of a reading.
Not everybody goes into the same detail or to the same extreme to define a Mary Sue--it depends on the person. *shrug* I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't think we're wrong either. ;)

Though Lindsay knows about cows and farming and shit, that, to me is a BILLION times more realistic than Mac knowing every single thing about everything that's ever been in this world, including a myriad of foreign languages.
There was apparently a spoiler about him translating French or whatever, but that wasn't in the show and didn't actually happen. So saying that he knows different languages doesn't make a lot of sense to me since there's been no proof of that...

Only Lindsay haters seem to think she's special or perfect.
Expressing criticism always comes down to 'only the haters feel that way.' I'll express criticism of any of the characters, even the ones I actually like. I generally have more to criticize about Lindsay, but the others aren't immune from my bitchiness. :p

Lindsay's biggest downfall is being Danny's love interest, plain and simple. If she were dating Hawkes, no one would care cause no one worships Hawkes.
Uh, I'd care. Hawkes might not get as much fangirl love, but I'm not talking about Hawkes or Danny or anybody else when I'm talking about Lindsay. Whoever she's with, the character doesn't seem to have much substance beyond that 'relationship.'

Funny that more people were pro-Danny/Angell, and to me, Angell exhibited more Mary Sue qualities, or at least had the potential to be a bigger Mary Sue, than Lindsay.
My thing with Danny/Angell is that I liked the idea in fanfiction, and if they had to go with one or the other on the show itself, I would have preferred Danny/Recurring Character rather than Danny/Main Character. I also think people were open to the potential of Angell as a love interest because we hadn't seen her in that role--I've seen the way they portray Lindsay in that role and I'm not convinced. *shrug*

I also think that there's no basis for comparing Lindsay's characterization with Angell's since Angell was a minor, recurring character who wasn't meant to be anything more than a 'detective' to do Flack's job when he wasn't working both cases. Lindsay is one of the main characters and should be more rounded than a recurring character.

Top41 said:
That's true, though she's so plain it seems like they went out of their way to make her Average American Gal--ie, someone any fan could see herself as.
Yep. Also, part of the Mary Sue trend is trying so hard to not have a Mary Sue that it ends up being one on another part of the spectrum. Rather than being super-sexy and knocking all of the guys' socks off, the girl is the opposite, just being Plain-Jane but still attracting the attention of the guy who has said he's not looking for love, blah blah blah...Anna Belknap is an attractive woman, and it seems that Lindsay is deliberately made to cover up some of that, which doesn't make sense. *shrug*

everclaire said:
It’s as though Every. Single. Thing. that happens in the show these days is to further their relationship.
Yes. I don't see much, if anything, that seems to be about Linday herself (and I'm not even talking about Danny)--even when the character gets a touch of development, it always swings right back to Danny in the same frickin' episode.

Yes, all the CSI's on all three shows have Mary Sue or male equivalent characteristics to some extent, with their secrets, tragic pasts, a general lack of living family members, and amazing skills coupled with serious investigative prowess. Wow, those guys are incredible!...The difference really is that some of the characters have been developed better than others, as more rounded and likeable, their cliched attributes used positively and to the benefit of the overall storyline.
Exactly. What makes a difference is what else is there, what the character is above and beyond those cliche, Sue-ish aspects of their personalities. Lindsay doesn't seem to have much...

midnight_tiptoes said:
Why? Danny's not special and he's not the lead, and he's just one of many cast members. I know he's a demigod around here, but his opinion means nothing to me. Is one Danny worth like 40 Stellas or 30 Hawkes or 4 Macs or something? Point still remains - only one character finds her cool or whatever, the others seem to see her as I see her - some random chick from the Midwest.
Danny isn't the lead, but he's astonishingly popular amongst the fans. When I first came into the fandom, I was surprised by how popular he was. The character grew on me, and yeah, I'm a fan, but even as my personal love for the character has waned recently, my opinion about Lindsay hasn't changed. The fact is that Lindsay came and was immediately pushed toward Danny. The writers are more than aware of Danny's popularity with the fans. It doesn't seem accidental to me. *shrug*

A whole year went by without Lindsay ever exhibiting any problems wrt her past. Since she went to Montana and dealt with it, we've seen her very cheerful and happy. Well, normal at least.
But that's part of it. She goes from being totally unphased to completely overwhelmed in the blink of an eye, and then goes from overwhelmed to totally-over-it just as quickly. The writing was ham-fisted, and that's where the fault lies with those problems--suddenly being overwhelmed by something that happened in your past is realistic for some people, but for someone like me who hasn't been through a similar situation, a bit of an explanation would have been nice. It's not all down to the characterization, but also how the writers portray the character, and while they apparently didn't have time to give more information about Lindsay dealing with her past, they sure found time for her to suddenly be OMG-SO-OVER! it to pull Danny back for a kiss in front of the reporters.

If Mac hadn't become Exposition Harry in that one episode she went away and if Danny hadn't gone to the trial, we never would've found out what actually happened.
The trial told us exactly what happened, Danny going was unnecessary to understanding her past. It could have been done well, but with the end result being the last scene that we got, it's not hard to see what the writers were going for. Have they ever done something for Lindsay and just Lindsay?

It's Mary Sue-ism in the eyes of the people who like the guy she's getting together with, which just proves how subjective Mary Sue-ism has become.
Danny is the most popular guy with the fangirls, that's a pretty sure thing. Maybe not on every message board, or in every online community or whatever, but overall he's wildly popular. And a lot of people here like him, but that doesn't automatically mean that they feel Linday is a Mary-Sue because of that.

But Mary Sue-ism isn't like beauty, it's something you either are or you aren't
Not necessarily. Definitions of what makes a Mary Sue vary depending on who you ask. Lindsay might be a Mary Sue according to some definitions but not according to others.

Dude, I may go to Miami tomorrow! If I run into David Caruso I'm totally gonna throw an ice cream cone at him.
Ooh, please to be taking pictures if you do. :p

This show will never be what it used to be.
:( This is very true.

midnight_tiptoes said:
(Danny was the only one who needed to think it was cool anyway ),

Why? Danny's not special and he's not the lead, and he's just one of many cast members. I know he's a demigod around here, but his opinion means nothing to me. Is one Danny worth like 40 Stellas or 30 Hawkes or 4 Macs or something? Point still remains - only one character finds her cool or whatever, the others seem to see her as I see her - some random chick from the Midwest.

No, Danny's not the lead, but he is the one she's supposed to be impressing since he was intended to fall for her. So that's why his opinion is the only one that matters because OMG it's true love! And I would also say with that scene, they were all gathered around paying attention to her eating the bugs. Flack was the only one visibly grossed out.

Yeah, but for every thing she knows, there are other things she doesn't know that Mac has to teach her.

Well, yeah, Mac being the lead is always going to trump Girl Wonder.

I just don't think she's the genius/know-it-all she's made out to be sometimes. I see her more as a girl who's kinda eager and likes to learn. The girl who probably sat in the first row in class and reminded the teacher to give them homework. Yeah, we all sat in the back and threw paper balls at the back of her head, some of us may have lifted her skirt in front of the boys, but those people exist.

Yeah, I agree, she was the girl at the front of the class we all made fun of, but she's still a know it all. Fay posted some interesting points about that in another thread, which I'll repost here because they were excellent illustrations:

Faylinn said:
"Super Men" was on Spike last night, and I noticed something when I was watching it--Danny was totally useless on that case. Lindsay figured out the phone number written on Tyrone's chest (although hello, I don't think Danny and Pino are too clueless, they could have figured it out, but then Lindsay wouldn't have been the sooper speshul one :rolleyes:), she realized that the room service cart was missing, she found the pump itself...Why was Danny there, exactly? Oh, he had to say the line about having to ask her to marry him. :rolleyes:

I also re-watched "People With Money" and that scene with Lindsay and the tie experiment griped my ass for some reason. It was like Mac and Stella were just so confused when she said that the woman was innocent, even though they were the ones who had told her not to make assumptions. Then she said she'd 'followed the evidence,' and Mac just looked so f**king lost. Oh God, I'm so glad that Lindsay was there, otherwise Mac might not be able to tie his own shoes. :rolleyes:

Sorry, it might be over-reacting, but it annoys the shite out of me. They are all capable, intelligent CSIs, and they shouldn't have to make others look less-so in order to have Lindsay look better by contrast. :rolleyes:

It's scenes like that where Lindsay is particularly Mary Sue-ish. She also was right, at least partially, with her theory in "Cool Hunter" which came way out of left field.

Mary Sues have such unbelievably perfect personalities that it's impossible to find people as perfect as them in real life. They overcompensate for the author's insecurities. Lindsay is not the beauty/brains/awesomeness everyone wishes they could be. I think that title would probably go to Stella.

No, I agree. But I think she's the somewhat average girl that the average viewer is able to relate to. Let's face it, not many people will be Stella. But I've seen countless posts from people saying they relate to Lindsay, or she reminds them of themselves. I think she's a proxy for the average viewer. I think the show came across as "too New York" the first season and the producers felt the need to drop in someone who they felt the rest of the country would relate to. Enter Mary Sue Monroe (or Canon Sue).

No, this was just preparation for an upcoming storyline. To me, an emo person is a person who's always bitching and moaning and crying and talking about their feelings and shit. Emo people turn everything into a huge deal. They even make happy situations depressive so they can moan about them.

Yeah, but it was a lot of prep, and she seemed to have a problem in quite a few instances. There aren't many happy occasions on CSI shows--they do deal with death--but Lindsay underwent a personality change at the end of second season and seemed to have issues with a lot of things. (Live or Let Die, All Access, Stealing Home, etc.)

A whole year went by without Lindsay ever exhibiting any problems wrt her past.

She pretty much became Issue Girl at the end of second season. It was an abrupt change, too.

Since she went to Montana and dealt with it, we've seen her very cheerful and happy.

Which isn't realistic either. You go to this trial for a guy who killed all your friends, have to testify facing him, have to point him out, and then suddenly as soon as the verdict is read, you're fine? Oh, wait, I'm forgetting the hot guy waiting in the wings. I guess we're supposed to think Danny is enough to make anyone fine, no matter what the issue. ;)

Well, normal at least. I don't know, it's kinda like saying Stella is a drama queen because she keeps worrying about her HIV thing. Both characters were/are going through an emotional upheaval, and I really wouldn't expect them to be robotic about it. They were exploring a storyline and it would've been very anti-climactic if Lindsay was just totally fine with it.

Except she was. There was no emotion when she told Mac she was leaving for the trial in "The Lying Game" and then as soon as the trial is over, poof! she's fine and ready to make out with Danny.

How long has it been since Columbine? 8 years? Students still have a hard time dealing with it. A lot of them have emotional problems or deal with PTSD. I don't think of them as emo because they're still dealing with what happened. It was horrific. I don't think I could say I wouldn't lash out every once in a while at a reminder, and I basically don't care about anything of anything of anything. Hell, sometimes I have these nightmares about planes flying into my building, and I wasn't even in NY when 911 happened. You can't expect people to go through an emotional trauma and remain collected at all times. Shit happens. I thought it was fine. Not awesome, but whatever. This show will never be what it used to be.

Not saying she should be fine with it, but it came up in like half a dozen episodes, maybe more. That's more outbursts than Danny, the resident Drama Queen, has.

I don't think so. If Mac hadn't become Exposition Harry in that one episode she went away and if Danny hadn't gone to the trial, we never would've found out what actually happened. All we knew was something bad took place, but she didn't go into detail until Mac and Stella confronted her about it. Until then it was just tiny hints of something, which were necessary for them to tell the upcoming storyline, otherwise it would've come out of left field. But otherwise only three people actually know what happened. An attention whore would have it up in her LiveJournal, in great detail, possibly with pictures, for the whole world to see.

Yeah, but ugh, that's more annoying than saying what's wrong and moving on. To me, that's plenty dramatic. I hate it when people are like, "I have issues, I'm going to be all dramatic about it, but when you ask, I'm just going to say, 'Leave me alone!'" That's more annoying than if she'd cried into her beer about it in three episodes.

Stella snapped at her not too long ago when Lindsay was having Dairy Queen Killer issues.

Wasn't that after Lindsay told her to leave her alone? That would piss anyone off.

It was just one time, but it broke the Mary Sue rule that they're awesome no matter what. None of the characters seem particularly close to her, save Danny. A Mary Sue is loved and worshiped by all, regardless of what she says/does. Everyone wants to be friends with her. I don't see that happening with Lindsay.

Stella covered for her, though, and basically told her she was there for her. And Mac gave her time off and has been understanding, and didn't ream her out when she came at him with a suspect and no evidence (People with Money). Danny has forgiven her shitty behavior numerous times (All Access, Love Run Cold, Oedipus Hex). Hawkes seems fine with her. So it does seem like everyone in the lab likes her.

That's because their arcs haven't been properly explored. Lindsay's took the bulk of it because the writers decided to have it out in the open and resolved by the time Anna spawned. But again, we had a whole year of Lindsay being normal and she never had issues with it before, and hasn't since she came back from Montana. They were telling a storyline that they felt they needed to rush, and though it may not have been the greatest way to tell it, it's the writers' fault and not the character/actress.

I think there's plenty of blame to go around, but I think she's been emo and moody since the latter third of second season when she inexplicably started having issues.

House is a well-rounded character though.

Mary Sues/Gary Stus are very seldom shallow characters. They tend to have histories that would make poor Jesus Christ hand them over his crown of thorns. House and Mac are huge Gary Stus. Grissom not so much, because he lacks that ass kickingness that it takes to be a Gary Stu. But Mac? Oh my God. He's the master of martial arts, can yield a sword like some mo fo, he speaks every language imaginable, he knows everything about everything about everything and he gets to sleep with a young, gorgeous, smart woman with emotional issues. He may be the lead, but it doesn't excuse it.

OK, I'm understanding this a little better now--yeah, I can see how the know-it-all aspect of House or Mac would make them Gary Stu's, but not everyone likes them (especially not House), neither is hooking up with the most popular chick and neither are emo (OK, House is a bit emo ;) ). So they might be larger-than-life--that seems to me to be because they're the leads and fictional heroes. I think if you broaden the definition that much, every character on TV is a Mary Sue or Gary Stu.

It's Mary Sue-ism in the eyes of the people who like the guy she's getting together with, which just proves how subjective Mary Sue-ism has become. But Mary Sue-ism isn't like beauty, it's something you either are or you aren't (well, not us, I mean the characters). Danny is the most popular character HERE, and not every poster worships him. Over at Television Without Pity, the most popular guy is Flack. It varies from place to place. I don't know how Danny fares with the people who don't have internet access.

Given the TV Guide and People magazine nods, I would say Danny is pretty much given the mantle of the babe of the show. That doesn't mean everyone feels that way about him, or that everyone thinks he's the hottest, but somebody always gets the hottie label and it does seem to be Danny on this show.

I get the feeling the most popular guy overall is Mac. Does that make Peyton a Mary Sue? She certainly has the awful name to prove for it.

I actually think they did a fairly good job of not making Peyton a Mary Sue where she easily could have been. She doesn't seem to have any deep, dark issues, no overly emotional tendancies, and she doesn't have all the answers--she had problems finding the COD on a body in like her second ep.

That's not to say Lindsay doesn't have Mary Sue qualities, she does, all CSI characters do, but it has to be the sum of all parts rather than a few quirks here and there. When you pick apart every single aspect of her, Lindsay lacks most of the Mary Sue qualities. Like they would say on ER, she's not that pretty or special.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think she's more of your everywoman Mary Sue--one that seems to know it all and yet the audience can still relate to her. But, I agree, she's not the glamazon perfect girl everyone wishes they could be.

The saddest part is, I'm supposed to be on vacation, but my brother is working and has left me home. All I want is to go to the beach, goddamn it. Dude, I may go to Miami tomorrow! If I run into David Caruso I'm totally gonna throw an ice cream cone at him.

So...I wasn't supposed to send Caruso that love letter from you? :confused: Damn. :( Well, if he runs up to you and says [hands on hips, then removing one to lower his sunglasses], "Yes, I will run away with you!" do not blame me. It was all Bitten. :eek:

And to add one more thing...

Elsie said:
Yes, all the CSI's on all three shows have Mary Sue or male equivalent characteristics to some extent, with their secrets, tragic pasts, a general lack of living family members, and amazing skills coupled with serious investigative prowess. Wow, those guys are incredible!

Yeah, I mean if you go by the extraordinary-ness, pretty much every character on the CSI shows fits the bill. Almost every character on TV does. But they're more than a bunch of facts and their deep tragic pasts or the sexy piece of ass they're dating. I don't think Lindsay is.

Definitions of what makes a Mary Sue vary depending on who you ask.

The problem with that logic, then, is that I could argue that every character in the history of television is a Mary Sue and no one could tell me otherwise, and so then, starting a thread to ask if Lindsay is a Mary Sue would be quite useless. Hell, there are people out there who think the Holocaust never happened. Definitions of Mary Sue-ism vary from person to person, but there IS a real, true definition of it.

Mary Sue has become an irrelevant adjective, much like the words 'retarded' and 'gay', but that doesn't mean calling someone retarded makes them so. I don't think Mary Sue-ism is subjective, because deep down, Mary Sue is a character who reveals the author's greatest wishes. Mary Sue is a phrase for self-insertion, simple as that. In the fanfic world, Mary Sue is the girl the author wishes she could be, this is the true meaning of it, and it just so happens that she's practically perfect in every way because she's a way for the author to deal with her insecurities. Mary Sue is a literary affliction. So to me, it's like asking if a person is Bipolar or not. Either they are or they aren't.

The problem is that in the last couple of years people have started throwing the term Mary Sue around, and most people don't know the real meaning of it. There are a lot of misconceptions about what the term actually means, such as "Mary Sue is a character that hooks up with the dream guy of the show." No, it isn't. Mulder was the dream guy of the X-Files, but 10+ years ago I remember encountering MANY Krycek Mary Sues, Skinner Mary Sues, hell, I wouldn't be surprised if there are Cigarette Smoking Man Mary Sues out there. I've encountered Mary Sues that would send Lindsay haters running away in sheer horror, so when people call Lindsay a Mary Sue it makes me laugh. God, she's NOTHING compared to what I've seen out there.

To determine if a character is a Mary Sue, then, you have to follow the original Mary Sue guideline, otherwise I could just come in here and say, "Lindsay is a Mary Sue because she has brown hair" and no one could argue with me because that would be my view of a Mary Sue, rendering a discussion useless. Obviously, Mary Sues have evolved during the years because trends change. 15 years ago grunge was cool, but today it isn't anymore. But deep down Mary Sue is the same girl she was 10 years ago. She's the author.

As far as "television Mary Sues", the term makes no sense whatsoever because we don't know the writers' motivations. A lot of people see Meredith Gray as a Mary Sue because she is (very obvious sometimes) this girl Shonda wishes she could be, who hooks up with the dream guy and everyone loves her and she's loved by all, etc. As far as television fiction goes, Meredith is the only character I would actually call a Mary Sue, but loosely because I don't know Shonda and I don't know what the hell is going through her mind. I don't know Zuiker, either, but I'm willing to bet he doesn't spend the bulk of his days wishing he was a tiny little white girl from the Midwest.

You could use Mary Sue as an insult/adjective, I guess, but then I don't think we could ever have a real debate on whether Lindsay is one or not. Her haters will think she is, her lovers won't, and no one would ever get anywhere. Unless you define her by the original Mary Sue standards, there will never be one real answer.

OK, I'm understanding this a little better now--yeah, I can see how the know-it-all aspect of House or Mac would make them Gary Stu's, but not everyone likes them (especially not House), neither is hooking up with the most popular chick and neither are emo (OK, House is a bit emo ).

That's because Mary Sue-ism follows the same discriminatory rules that exist in the real world. Gary Stus don't have to be liked by everyone. Whereas everyone loves Mary Sue, Gary Stus are often misunderstood rebels without causes. There are different guidelines for Gary Stus. Men and women tend to write differently and have different appeals. Gary Stus are fucked up, though, I won't go into that. They're even more pathetic than Mary Sues.

midnight_tiptoes said:
Mary Sue is a character who reveals the author's greatest wishes. Mary Sue is a phrase for self-insertion, simple as that. In the fanfic world, Mary Sue is the girl the author wishes she could be, this is the true meaning of it, and it just so happens that she's practically perfect in every way because she's a way for the author to deal with her insecurities.
It seems to me that the character of Lindsay has been created in a way to be open for fans to insert themselves in her place, as others have pointed out in this thread so far. It's not the author's fantasy fulfillment, but they're writing it to leave it open for other people.

Her haters will think she is, her lovers won't, and no one would ever get anywhere.
Why does every discussion of Lindsay always come down to lovers vs. haters? Everybody who dislikes her isn't going to agree that she's a Mary Sue, and thinking that she exhibits the traits of a Mary Sue doesn't just happen when your brain enters the 'OMG-HATER' category.

I still say that it's possible to consider a character a Mary Sue even if they don't fit every single trait that has ever been given for one. As you've pointed out, other characters exhibit Sue-ish traits too. Some people might consider a person with a certain number of traits a Sue regardless of whether they exhibit them all. TV show writers are (allegedly) professional writers, so I would hope they'd be able to avoid at least some of the Mary Sue traits when writing characters.

It seems to me that the character of Lindsay has been created in a way to be open for fans to insert themselves in her place, as others have pointed out in this thread so far.

Maybe, maybe not, but if that was their intent they failed miserably. I don't think the character lends itself to self-insertion.

Why does every discussion of Lindsay always come down to lovers vs. haters?

Because I like to start shit up. It amuses me.

So...I wasn't supposed to send Caruso that love letter from you?

That's okay, I'm Hispanic. I could shoot him and he'd still sleep with me. I could get pregnant, give him a child, and then sue him for palimony.

Well, one distinction that can be made is that we're not talking about fanfic here--we're talking about the show, which is why I posted the "Canon Sue" bit from Wikipedia. But here's a little more from Wikipedia, which goes on in the main definition to say:

Though the term itself is not limited to fan fiction, its origins lie in the name of a character from a 1973 Star Trek fanzine parody, and its most common usage today is still within the fan fiction community or in reference to fan fiction. Characters were originally labeled as "Mary Sues" for being portrayed in an overly idealized way and lacking noteworthy or realistic flaws, similar to the character in the original parody story, A Trekkie's Tale.

(Itals. are mine.) Obviously a Mary Sue in a TV show is going to differ a bit from a Mary Sue in fanfic, since she is being written by professionals. Like midnight said, I don't think Zuiker (or Veasey or Lenkov, etc.) is wishing he was Lindsay. But I do think the character was written so that fans could relate to her--she's the CSI they could be.

Wikipedia adds this at the end:

It is important to remember that affiliating a character as a Mary Sue is an entirely subjective process and personal decision, typically made by people — paid critics and non-professional readers alike — who generally disapprove of overused plot devices or stock characters found in most fan fiction, and that not all fan-made characters would necessarily qualify as a "Mary Sue". But while characters are usually unintentionally written as such, some authors deliberately create Mary Sues as a form of parody.

so yeah, it's obviously somewhat subjective.

But I do think she fits the definition of a Canon Sue in my original post:

Canon-Sue (in original source)
A "canon Sue" may also refer to a character whose canon portrayal resembles a Mary Sue, rather than a character who has been altered in fanfiction. Typically, this refers to a character accused of being overly idealized or having other traits of traditional fanfiction Mary Sues, such as being 'special' by having a gratuitously tragic past, unrealistic skills, or a seeming inability for the character to do wrong. Characters such as Wesley Crusher[4] and Amanda Rogers[4] in Star Trek: The Next Generation have been criticized for being Mary Sue (or perhaps a Marty Stu in the former case) by fans of the series. In another, non-Star Trek example, the character Elminster in the
Forgotten Realms is often similarly criticised for being a Mary Sue.

I mean, yeah, Lindsay is really plain and doesn't fit the beauty standards, but she's got the overly tragic past (more people are orphans than have seen their friends shot to death) and despite her erratic behavior, everyone sticks by her. Like I said, she's got the unrealistic skills, but they all do.

Top41 said:
Like midnight said, I don't think Zuiker (or Veasey or Lenkov, etc.) is wishing he was Lindsay.

Great discussion and food for thought, everybody ... but I gotta tell ya, the above line had me laughing like a nut. :lol: I would watch if Zuiker came on the show dressed up as Lindsay with Lindsay's hair do. :lol: And can you imagine how Danny will react to this Lindsay then? :lol: :lol: :lol: :devil:

I will admit that I shamelessly stole the idea for this topic from a brilliant LJ post I came across
*snicker* I believe that was me :p.

I did bring up the Mary Sue aspect of Lindsay at the beginning of Season 2 because I thought she basically fit it - the know-it-all girl whom everyone loves and ends up having 'something' with the hunk of the show. I'm not sure how much of a Mary Sue she is now because they've only started showing Season 3 where I am but I guess I just didn't like how perfect she was when she first came in. At least Ryan Wolff (CSI:Miami) had the character to be a little annoying and flawed so that we're not forced to like him straight away. I miss Speed, but I grew to like Ryan too. My main issue with Lindsay was that it seemed as if the writers want the audience to like her as soon as she appeared.

Isn't Hawkes in his 30s? How would that make him too young to be a forensic pathologist?

Well, there is 4 years pre med, then med school, which is 4 years, and then you have to become an intern for several years to specialize as a pathologist, and then you have to intern to specialize even further as a forensic pathologist, and then you can be one...Don't forget Hawks also worked as a doctor after med school...even with being a protigy, he would still need to put in the years. I was under the impression that he was in his late 20's, though.

Okay, off-topic, but:

I was under the impression that he was in his late 20's, though.
The form that he filled out at the end of season 1 gave us __-8-1973, which would make him 33 or 34 right now depending on the month. But like anything else on these shows, they could change it whenever it pleases them. ;) But according to cbs.com: "Dr. Hawkes was a child prodigy who graduated college at eighteen. By twenty-four, he was a board-licensed surgeon...Two years later, Dr. Hawkes left the operating room, retreating to the safety of the medical examiner's office. After years of helping solve crimes through his skill as a coroner, he decided to make another change and join Mac Taylor's team in the field as their newest CSI."

So, uh, yeah, back to the discussion at hand. :lol:

CrimeShark said:
I will admit that I shamelessly stole the idea for this topic from a brilliant LJ post I came across
*snicker* I believe that was me :p.

I did bring up the Mary Sue aspect of Lindsay at the beginning of Season 2 because I thought she basically fit it - the know-it-all girl whom everyone loves and ends up having 'something' with the hunk of the show. I'm not sure how much of a Mary Sue she is now because they've only started showing Season 3 where I am but I guess I just didn't like how perfect she was when she first came in. At least Ryan Wolff (CSI:Miami) had the character to be a little annoying and flawed so that we're not forced to like him straight away. I miss Speed, but I grew to like Ryan too. My main issue with Lindsay was that it seemed as if the writers want the audience to like her as soon as she appeared.

Well, I kind of got the impression that she went from "know-it-all" to "knowing-nothing-at-all" kind of CSI.

I mean, look... Mac hired her because she's thorough. She said it herself, that she's thorough. But come season3, how many times did she jump into conclusion before evidence could prove anything? From first season3 episode, she was overly eager to present her suspect to Mac and Stella who weren't even mildly convinced.

I'm not sure there's much I can add here. I tend to agree that Lindsay displays some distinct features of Mary-Sue Syndrome (very well explained by Top), despite the fact that she misses some traditional fanfic ones: extraordinary beauty, remarkable talents (plays violin, sings etc), and always saves the day.

Part of this is because a) she isn't the traditional author-inserted Mary-Sue, b) she is played by a real actress, and c) she will always be trumped by the lead, Mac, and to some extent, Stella. Otherwise, she is perilously close.

Someone pointed out that Mary-Sues have become a bit subtler in recent years, as the phenomenon is widely known and understood in fandom. People have tried to differentiate their characters from Mary-Sues by attempting to flout the above characteristics.

In my opinion, there is one feature that always differentiates a Mary-Sue from a well constructed original character: the Mary-Sue doesn't serve the story, the story serves the Mary-Sue. I know; Lindsay is not the main character etc etc. However, a Mary-Sue will tend to warp both the story and the other characters around her needs, usually to the detriment of both. Lindsay's trauma story was a big feature of season 3 (whether it would have been so without Anna's pregnancy is hard to say), it also popped up (in some form) at inappropriate moments in season 2 (eg. "All Access"). Was the story worth the amount of airtime it received? That tends to be a matter of personal opinion.

Her character has also warped the other characters around her to a certain extent, but it is most glaringly visible in Danny. From what we learned of Danny in the first 2 seasons, the likelihood that he would be much attracted to her seems highly improbable. Danny certainly gave the impression of being a bit of a player, who preferred short term, no committment relationships. Danny's sudden and overwhelming attraction and the commensurate changes in his personality only served Lindsay's character, not his own.

All of this is highly subjective, of course. But I think most would agree that the biggest problem facing Lindsay is the extreme lack of consistency and definition in her personality (despite almost 2 seasons of episodes). Unless this problem is addressed and her character becomes capable of supprting her own weight, without sucking sustenance from her co-characters, she will always be open to the accusation of Mary-Suedom.

I think the traumatic event was written to compensate for Anna's pregnancy and nothing more. It's very rushed, poorly written and very poorly executed. In that way, the story was written for her.

She doesn't affect anybody other than Danny. It's like she doesn't have any other co-workers other than him.

Back