If WP was to leave will csi survive?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by gregsandersluver, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I doubt that. It will be rerun to death, just like Gilligan's Island and Star Trek.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I voted no. Even if the show continued Grissom is really what pulls people in, at least in my group of friends. I myself may not follow the show after petersen has left, especially if this season's episodes w/o grissom are any indicators of what the series would be like without him.

Every ep I've seen without him thus far has been extremely weak, and not all that entertaining IMHO. *shrug*

3. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I said yes, because a lot of people don't just watch because of Grissom. Would it still be as good, or have as good ratings, I don't know but I reckon it would survive.

4. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

Yeah it would still survive because its about a team of CSI's working together not just Grissom. It wouldn't get as good ratings (unless people don't watch it because WP gets on their nerves, I know a lot of people dont watch Miami for that reason) but it would survive

5. rwf05

rwf05 Hit and Run

Two of my favourite episodes this season were without Grissom, So I think it is possible to go on without him. It will be different, but doable.

6. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

Yeah Gum drops was great and hardley any Grissom, same as Ellie. So it is do able.

7. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

grissom was in ellie and had couple of funny dialoges.

i think that it may survive but not for long. they may still try to do season 8, but it will be the last one. besides, is only WP quiting after season 7??

another thing is, that WP was talking about him leaving CSI since year 2004 i think (first he wanted season 5 to be his last one). somehow the crew had to persuade him to stay (or it could have been his contract which expires in 2007). maybe he will still be in season 8, but this time less often. i really hope so :)

8. ebuzz55

ebuzz55 Pathologist

IMO, CSI may be able to survive another season without Grissom, but not much more. Practically all of the people I know who watch CSI (casual fans, not like us) say Grissom is the character who draws them in.

Considering the direction of the storylines and dragging out of character development in the past couple of seasons, I think CSI:LV has peaked, and I'd rather see it go out in style than to hang on until it's cancelled. That would be sadder than seeing Grissom go. :(

9. Laetri

Laetri CSI Level One

I doubt CSI could survive very long without Grissom because:

a) people are accustommed to having him there and he knows so much that they would need to introduce another character to fill his place.

b) One of the other CSI's (prolly Cath or Warrick) would have to be the supervisor and we have seen how well Sara and Nick listen to them as authority figures.

10. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

you have to take into consideration not only his acting in CSI but also his role as a producer. he gives the show the look and atmosphere that it has now and which draws milions of viewers around the world. i think without his input, the show may loose some of it's wittiness and everything else that Grissom as a character and WP as a producer represents.
    therefore, i don't see the CSI going on for long without WP.

11. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

I used to think that there was absolutely no way that CSI could go on without Petersen/Grissom. He isn't the reason I started watching the show, but he's the main reason I stayed, in the beginning.

But since then, there have been some excellent episodes that I have enjoyed greatly, and they have been no-Grissom, or Grissom-light. And wonder of wonders, I suddenly didn't care.

I think it would change the tone of the show in a big way, but I also think it could survive, whereas I used to think there was "No Way" that it could without him. I adore Griss, but I also think he is no longer the hub of the wheel in the show, as he once was. WP wants to leave, in his own words, and I think the show reflects that, now. I think it will be a vastly different show without him, but I also now think that it will still be entertaining enough that folks will still tune in. Never thought I'd see the day that I'd say that, but there ya have it. I know many of you aren't old enough to remember the original days of the show "MASH", but when a couple of very main characters left the show, alot of folks assumed it sounded the death knell of the series. Lo and behold, it didn't. Folks still tuned in, and the show went on to become one of the longest running TV series in history, and ended with a !Bang! by grabbing the highest rated TV finale in history to this day, I believe. (Of course, that was before the days of cable, so folks didn't have much of a choice as far as what to watch, so that drastically skews the numbers. But the fact that the series flourished after losing "Henry" and "Radar" makes my point). Yes, CSI will survive post-Grissom, should they choose to do so. But the question is, will they (TPTB) actually choose to do so? CBS certainly won't have the ratings juggernaut that they have on their hands right now, but they'll still be in the Top 20 with a Grissomless CSI (I think), and for that reason alone, CSI will still stand behind the series post-Grissom. But if it drops lower than that, they'll dump it, without a doubt, especially since they still have Miami/NY doing very, very well in the ratings, and are newer shows that show no signs of losing main characters yet.

12. Comte

Comte Police Officer

man...
    on one hand..the show will not survive..
    grissom is the backbone of the show...csi w/o grissom wld feel empty...so void of witticism an humor...
    the least the folks cld do is let grissom leave in style...

on the other hand..the show wld still survive...the overwhelming response for the other charracters wld ensure tt..but the ratings may not be the same as before...

both are possiblities...such is my opinion..

13. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

i know i am getting sick of the last couple of episodes...

i really don't like sara and nick being the central characters....i like nick, but he doesn't have the leadership quality or presence that grissom has...

the last part of this season, even when grissom was in the ep...he was in the background...and he didn't do much...and if season 7 continues this, i will probably stop watching vegas

i loved the older episodes where cathrine and grissom are the clear leads, and the dynamic with the rest of the cast this way

besides...without Grissom, vegas is just another cop show...the show will lose its science, he is the only character that actually is like a scientist, and is the only one who actually brings science to the show

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I totally agree. There have been good episodes without him but I don't think they could do it for long. I'm sure they could stretch it out with new cast editions like Law & Order or ER but after a while people won't feel drawn to the cast the way they once were and would stop caring about the show all together. Sort of like the last season or two of The X-Files, it was still on and it still had some decent episodes but it limped to its series finale.

15. Asimplekndofgirl

Asimplekndofgirl Rookie

As much as I would hate to see WP go, I think the show could continue for a while. But I think it will end up losing some of their fan base. I love WP and would hate to see him go but I would keep watching. Taking away any other cast memebers would be especially hard, if WP is already gone.