How to Revitalize CSI: NY *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Well, Danny likes women, that much is definitely true. Beyond that is anybody's guess. ;)

Exactly--so much of the reason that I've stuck with D/F for a long time, and most of the reason why I think it would be horrible in canon, is that it's complex and trying to simplify it for time constraints and all that would be iffy.

People like the idea of Mac and Stella together, or Flack and Lindsay, or Hawkes and Stella. They just do. They like the interaction and the relationship and the possibilities. Liking Danny with Flack or Mac with Adam is no different. Sure, some people pair up characters just for sex, but I think a lot of people sometimes assume that's the only reason for wanting two guys in a relationship together. That's not to say it's how everybody feels, but it's the impression I get sometimes--that no matter how many reasons I give it's not enough to convince people that I just happen to like A and B together, regardless of their gender. Yeah, homosexuality is a touchy subject on tv, but I don't think there need to be any more 'reasons' to put it there than to put a guy and a girl together. What reasons did the writers have to go with Danny and Lindsay? He's a cute guy, she's the new girl, they're from different backgrounds...not a lot to go on, if you ask me. ;)

That being said, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing about homosexuality on the show, I'm not saying that. Some people just don't want to see it, and that's perfectly fine. I just, er, have this tendency to want to discuss stuff like this. :lol:

Exactly. This season has had some great stuff, and I hate that a few things can bring down my overall impression of the season. :(

ETA: Actually, after reading through this thread, I didn't see anything that was actually about Danny and Flack in a relationship--just about Flack having feelings for Danny. I didn't actually see anybody saying that Danny was even expected to return the feelings. :confused:

2. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I disagree wholeheartedly. Flack showed a great deal of concern for Moran at the end of "The Fall", and he was startlingly gentle with Stella in "All Access". I don't deny that he and Danny have a close friendship-at least until COTP; now, I'm not sure. But that doesn't translate only to a sexual desire. It may just be that he and Danny started their careers at roughly the same time and therefore became close friends.

Even if they did decide to take that route and have Flack confess his feelings, if Danny is straight, it can only end one way: in Flack being rejected and possibly ostracized by his former best friend wjile the rest of his precinct rides him for failing to toe the macho standard. There wouldn't be, couldn't be a Great TV Romance without twisting Danny's character.

And where is the solid evidence that Flack is gay or in love with Danny? In "People With Money", he told Lindsay that he'd gotten three numbers from interested parties during his recovery and was seen flirting with unnamed techs, and he was checking out the girls in "Jamalot". In "Corporate Warriors", he was eyeing the personal trainer, who was female. There is no clear indication one way or the other about his sexual preference.

As for him loving Danny, I don't see any clear evidence on that count, either. I submit that he does...but not sexually. He looks at Danny because they work together a great deal, and he's there for Danny because he's a loyal bastard, and that's what friends do. He hovered over Stella in "All Access", and I have no doubt that when he offers to exchange himself in an upcoming episode, it will be for the sake of everyone involved, and not just Danny.

I'm going to bed now, and I certainly never intended to go on so, but I'm beginning to resent the implication that the only way to revitalize the show is to inject same-sex drama. And that's the impression I get when this thread is opened despite the already-opened Dear Writers thread.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I agree that he was respectful of both of them, but I don't know if gentle is the word I'd use. He did what needed to be done with Moran and helped the man retain his dignity. He was compassionate. With Stella, I actually thought he avoided being gentle, because he knows Stella is strong and might have taken it as condecension. He asked her the questions that needed to be asked in a respectful and again, compassionate way, but at no point did he coddle her, or Moran for that matter. I was actually surprised at how professional Flack remained throughout with Stella, despite the fact that it's been well established that the two are friends.

Contrast that with how he's been with Danny--pushing a cop out of the way who was simply mouthing off about Danny. Rushing to comfort Danny at the diner in OTJ--not reason with him or present the case or ask him tough questions, but to comfort him. There was nothing of the professional about Flack in that scene, which is part of why I loved it so much--he's very clearly desperately trying to help someone he cares about a great deal. In RSRD, he stands guard to protect Danny. I think he's noticeably different with Danny than he is with anyone else in his life, but the point of this thread really isn't to argue whether Flack is or isn't in love with Danny, but to offer it up as a possible storyline for the character since there's some material to work with there.

Again, not looking for a Great TV Romance--I'd rather see something much more original than that. And I don't think it can only end one way. I think it all depends on how it's handled.

I've never seen Flack express much of an interest in any woman--he's been hit on before, but he seems to take it in stride and move on. There was the pickpocket who told him he had nice eyes and the Asian woman who checked him out (sorry, I can't recall the eps!), and Flack didn't react either time.

I guess so--it just seems like everytime Danny is in distress, Flack is right there for him. Over and over. To me that says something. As for the upcoming situation, I guess we'll see how it plays out. But I think Danny being in jeopardy will add a layer to it for Flack.

Actually, this thread was opened mostly because the forum has been deathly quiet lately and in dire need of some discussion topics. It's less a list of suggestions for the writers than it is a wish list of things that might help energize the show and take it in new directions. At least, that's how it was intended.

Interestingly enough, I was reading a thread at a ratings forum (http://www.pifeedback.com) and NY's ratings have been on the decline since Lost went up against it. Lost is trailing by a little in overall viewers, but it's kicking NY's butt in the key 18-49 demographic. While I don't think the show is in danger of cancellation, the problem it and all the CSI shows face is that they tend to skew older and up against competition like Lost or Grey's Anatomy, tend to lose younger viewers. So I think it will be interesting to see if changes will be made next season in an attempt to draw in younger viewers.

CSI hasn't really changed--they've just pushed themselves creatively and turned out their best season yet. Despite the fact that Grey's tends to beat CSI in the ratings, CSI is still pulling in upwards of 20 million viewers a week. NY is averaging in the 13-14 million range, so it's entirely possible that they'll feel some pressure to shake things up.

4. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Considering the way the show's been going on, adding another relationship (same-sex or not) will just worsen the whole mess. Like Fay mentioned, D/F fans are simply talking about the possibility of the ship being explored for real on the show (heh, that'll be the day). We know the chances of it remotely happening is one in a trillion. :p I don't see the same-sex relationship being implied as the only thing to revitalize the show. :confused: There are loads of other suggestions in the thread that have nothing to do with it.

I certainly agree about Flack caring very much for Moran. We've yet to actually see the consequences of Flack arresting his former mentor, and it'd be great if the TPTB gave us more insight to Flack's past. And Flack/Moran? Heheh, there are quite a few stories featuring that pairing, good ones too. ;) Flack/Moran is just as valid as Danny/Flack, Mac/Hawkes, Flack/OMC, Stella/Lindsay, etc., would be, if the TPTB's ever gutsy enough to explore a same-sex relationship.

Huh. Ya know what would get people talking? Get Hammerback and Flack in a scene, and Flack hints he's in a threesome with another man and woman after Hammerback brings up his ... randy sex life. :lol:

5. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

:lol: Ha...that would definitely be interesting, wouldn't it?

My wish list:

1. I hope that they would keep the relationships (whoever they may be with) more in the background than they have been. I was attracted to this show b/c it is a crime drama , not a soap opera.

2. I want to see more of Flack. His snarkiness is wonderful, and his interactions w/each character always great to watch. I think we should find out more of his background. And, if they are going to keep Lindsay, I would like to see more of her and Flack interacting. It is interesting to see him blow her off. I would like to find out if he blows her off b/c of the obvious (she's annoying), or if there is something deeper to it.

3. About Lindsay: if they insist on keeping her in the show, I think (like most of you) that she should stay in the lab. Her character is more likeable (???) in the lab. I also think that since they ran the story of her super dark secret past, they should show her getting some kind of counseling.

4. They should quit pushing Danny into the background. He is one of the main characters and shouldn't be reduced to some sappy, googy-eyed, love-struck wimp. There is nothing wrong with being in love, but come on, give the man some of his depth back.

5. I think we should see more of Adam. (should've seen that one coming). His quirkiness makes him a loveable character. I don't want them to move them into the field-he should stay in the lab. I know there is no indication of that-but you never know what 'they' might have up their sleeves.

6. Hawkes should be developed more. His scenes w/Flack are always great, but I would like to know more about his past.

7. to reiterate some: One case in an eppy wouldn't kill anybody. ;) It would make it more interesting.

8. Just b/c Stella is a woman doesn't mean she has to be continually victimized.

Mac is fine, just a little corny.
    There, that's my wish list. :)

EDIT: had a wittle typo. :)

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

YES. This might be what pisses me off more than anything else about the show, and the CSI shows in general. Why do they feel like they have to cut down their strong female characters by victimizing them? I would argue that Stella is the strongest of any of the women on all three shows, and so what do the writers do? Give her a psycho boyfriend and have her make some stupid, out of character moves so that he can beat her up and tie her up and just generally terrorize her. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That was wretched, just wretched.

Even Lindsay, who I'm not fond of at all, started out more promising than what she turned into. Initially she was this tough chick who dove at suspects, and yet this season, she was reduced to whining and running away from crime scenes because she couldn't deal with her horrible past. :rolleyes:

And Aiden, tough, strong, savvy--she gets murdered (and raped?) when she follows a known rapist into an alley.

This show, and the CSI shows in general, take way too much pleasure in victimizing strong women. :mad:

7. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

I agree with you-Stella is the strongest. And why they have to victimize every female has stumped me. It would be far more interesting to see the strong lead female (like Stella) be the hero to one of the guys--or any victim for that matter. There is absolutely nothing wrong w/showing that a woman can be just as strong as a man and just as much of a hero.

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I absolutely agree about Stella. They do things to show her strength, but the ways that they test her strength aren't always necessary. The HIV storyline shows that she's having trouble, but not giving up, and they didn't have to tie her up and drag her around the apartment in a sundress to show it.

Wow, I totally didn't see that one coming! :lol: I agree, though, that they need to leave him in the lab. The character that they've showed is someone who is uncomfortable in the field, out of his element--for him to suddenly be a CSI would be out-of-character if you ask me. And after the finale, I can't imagine him wanting to leave the lab for a very long time. :lol: They seem to be giving themselves the option, though, which I hope they decide against. Aside from it just being a bad idea for the character, they've already got enough CSIs. If they put Lindsay in the lab permanently, maybe, but even then it comes right back to the fact that I don't see Adam as a CSI. ;)

9. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

My wish list:

1. Brokeback Crimelab becoming canon.
    2. Lindsay being eaten by a alliagtor.
    3. Peyton and Sid becoming main characters.

I'll be happy with numbers 1 and two being official. :D

10. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I have to agree with you on all three counts but I must add Adam to number 3. :p

11. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Oh, tough toodles. I forgot Adam. :lol: But we all know I would like him added as well. ;)

12. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

*spits tea everywhere*

Okay. I sure didn't expect you to say number one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And uh, are there alligators in NYC?

13. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

vegaslights, I gotta say, I'm loving your list! :D

14. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

Oooh, ooh........raises hand....I know....

Let's test this theory by dropping Lindsey down a sewer manhole with a coupla live chickens strapped to her belt and see if the 'gator can resist.......

15. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

lol yeah i see what you mean, i keep seeing the idea of a Danny/Flack relationship and while i have nothing against gay relationships on tv shows, i'd really rather see the two of them as really close friends who care about each other. Whichever way the show choses to go though, i'd still love to see more of the two of them...they have great chemistry together.

I'd also like to see more continuity in the show....like maybe letting us in on what happened to Louie, instead of waiting until the next season to even mention him again. I dont know whether or not they are remedying this in the next few episodes, but even if they do it has taken way too long...

..and what about the characters getting robbed of their screen time??? Hawkes was slowly building up to getting more time on screen until Lindsay came along...and now even other characters like Sid and Adam and Peyton havent been getting much screen time, even though they seem to have great chemistry with the rest of the cast. more development, please!!

as for lindsay...well my wish list for her would be to keep her locked away in the lab....if not shipped back to montana...she steals attention and screen time from the other characters that deserve it, and her character has seemed to have run its course.

(i love this thread.... :D)