How much is packet of cigarettes where you live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dopebabygirl, Jul 27, 2008.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yes, I smoke

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Yes, but I plan to quit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but I'm open to starting

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. No, and I never will

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Do you drink a glass of champagne every couple of hours and go through three bottles of wine a day? That's what nicotine addiction (not saying everyone who smokes is insanely addicted) does to people. It doesn't mean they're at the same calibre as someone who uses heroin or cocaine, but it's still an addiction. People can be addicted to anything, (hell, even sex and video games) it just depends on how much and how potentially harmful the substance is.

I've even heard some people think that marijuana is 'just recreational' and 'we only do it socially' or 'once in a while'. Well, that may be for 90% of people but marijuana is addictive too, just as addictive as alcohol, in fact. Doesn't mean everyone will get addicted but it does happen to a small percentage.

The American Heart Association deems nicotine very addictive. They claim "Nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break."

It is a drug. Definition of a drug:
    -A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.
    -psychoactive drug , psychotropic drug see under substance.

From the AHA (link found above): "Nicotine is an addictive drug. It causes changes in the brain that make people want to use it more and more. In addition, addictive drugs cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms"

From eMedicine: "Nicotine meets the criteria of a highly addictive drug. Nicotine is a potent psychoactive drug that induces euphoria, serves as a reinforcer of its use, and leads to nicotine withdrawal syndrome when it is absent. As an addictive drug, nicotine has 2 very potent issues: it is a stimulant and it is also a depressant."

So, I would say it is a drug and people can become very addicted. Again, it doesn't mean it's at the same calibre as methanphetamines or heroin but saying that comparing nicotine to drugs is lame, well, in my opinion isn't lame.

Health Canada claims: "Nicotine causes chemical and biological changes in the brain. Although it is less dramatic than heroin or cocaine, the strength of the addiction is just as powerful. It is a “reinforcing” drug, which means that users desire the drug regardless of the damaging effects."

They also go on to claim:

-Withdrawal symptoms can be severe and many smokers might not be able to quit on their first attempt because of these symptoms, and a lack of preparation to cope with withdrawal.

-The most severe withdrawal symptoms occur within the first week although the craving for cigarettes can persist for months even years. The desire to smoke can be especially strong when a person is under stress although others crave cigarettes while socializing or when bored. The typical withdrawal symptoms are:
    • headaches
    • anxiety and irritability
    • difficulty concentrating and sleeping
    • hunger
    • decreased heart rate and blood pressure
    • craving for nicotine
    Like you said, there are some that if they really wanted to quit, could, but the typical smoker would most likely run into the wall above. So some might have just as much trouble as a heroin addict. :lol:

:lol: I think there's half-truths to what those kids are saying. I think on the one hand, it's an excuse but on the other hand, it might very well be hard. But yeah, it really is their decision to start and if they won't even try to quit because they don't want to, that's up to them.

You're right. We could get hit by a bus tomorrow or our heart could just give out and it may not have anything to do with smoking. But it also doesn't mean a smoker's health won't be compromised, even if they do live to be 90.

I'm not saying no one should smoke--ultimately it's their decision. But some do die from smoke-related illness so that's why a lot find it to be such a problem.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

sure nicotine is a drug, its just about the comparison to heroine or cocaine or any other - lets just say 'real' drug (H, cocaine, Meth or whatever) - (this stuff is the real bad one). and talkingabout drugs, caffeine is one too,which make coffee one too.

Smokers don't really change their state of consciousness (i'm not feeling happier when I smoke or hyperactive)which intoxicants do and are made for

When you smoke you don't fell happy or you don't change your perception like you would with cocaine or X. (well at least smoking doesn't causes this feelings in the most cases)

that is was all I wanted to say with my statement there is a big difference between legal and illigal drugs

when i don't smoke for few days I don't have any withdrawal symptoms

it' sabout the website, I'm not saying smoking is good it's just not as bad as they always say, sure you could die from it, but for that you have to smoke a lot.
    there are lot of people who dies because of lung cancer and they have never smoked in their live, it's not only the smoking which causes cancer.

I can run miles without getting brethless, i'd say i'm much more healthy than a lot of non-smokers and i'm not a sports-addict at all.

3. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

Wow, Geni answered a lot of the quetions for me lol I do have a bit of information to spit out at you, yet again.

I'm going to bring up a totally new point, (because I already knew that niccotine is as addictive as heroin or other drugs, it's proven) how many people who smoke here, smoke light, or ultralight cigarettes? Now out of you, how many think that they're less harmful than regular cigarettes?

The fact is, lights, ultralights, doesn't matter, they all contain the same amount of rat poison, urine, dirt, and battery acid (the ingredients of a cigarette) and well, tobacco too. So what's the difference, if they call contain the same amount of ingredients? The filter. But where is the filter? It's at the beginning of the cigarette? Where do you hold the cigarette? Right over the filter, so....technically, you are getting the same amount of nicotine, because both your lips, and your fingers are over the filter, making light and ultra light cigarettes ultimately unneeded.

Now menthol vs. other kinds are a different story. Menthol cigarettes are proven to be the single hardest kind of cigarettes to get off of. I know this first hand, because my manager used to smoke menthols, and she said that she would never be able to go back to regular cigarettes, she likes menthol too much.

4. dopebabygirl

I got your opinion and it's a good one.

I smoke medium and only because the regular are too strong for me. and i got off menthols ;)
    you're not going to make someone quit smoking telling them all this stuff you were saying in this thread maybe you just should let smokers do their thing and let them smoke as much as they want to, it's their desicion, their health and their attitude to smoking

It's up to the smoker wherer he wants to quit or not and smokers are not bad people

and I mean not you - you i mean the people who are saying how bad smoking is

actually i just wanted to know who much a packet of cigarettes is in other counties

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Yeah but you also asked:

So it kind of ties in with how nicotine works, who's tried and why people find it hard to quit. :p Both my parents used to smoke and my siblings (save from one) still do so, I've seen first-hand how hard it can be. And yeah I agree, caffeine is definitely up there with addicting substances.

Exactly. In fact, my brother's a drug addict (and a smoker) and I don't think of him as a bad person because he does that. (He's a bad person because of other stuff he does. :rolleyes:) For the record, I'm not trying to stop people from smoking or say that it's a horrible thing to do (to each their own), I'm just clarifying that some health orgainizations consider it a highly addictive drug.

Hm, I haven't checked lately but I think in my town, cigs are somewhere around $10.00-$11.00/pack and $40.00-$60.00/carton.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  6. HellsBells

HellsBells Tormenting Camp Counselors

This is true. Just as there are "upper" drugs and "downer" drugs. Nicotine just happens to be a calming drug, just as caffeine is a "upper" drug.

That might have more to do with how much you smoke when you do smoke. Do smoke a pack a day? A cigarette here and there? How much you smoke is in correlation to when and if you'll feel withdrawls. A prime example: My mom who smokes about 5- 15 cigarattes a day can go days without smoking and be fine. My dad on the other hand, who smoked a pack to two packs (maybe even three, this is how addicted he was) a day would feel withdrawl symptoms within HOURS of his last smoke.

A good point. They could have easily formed lung cancer from the air quality of the city they lived in. How many of those people died from second hand smoke though? Lung cancer isn't the only form of cancer you can get if you smoke. You can get cancer of the gums, tongue, pharynx, larynx, esophagus, plus many other nasty oohey gooey forms of cancer.

Plus there are other diseases that has a link to smoking, second hand or direct. Namely bronchitis, emphysema and asthma.

But you are right: People know the risks of smoking, and continue to smoke anyway. It is their choice.

Why don't I smoke?

Well, for one I'm allergic to the smoke. I'm also asthematic and have developed bronchitis that stems to cigaraette smoking. Both of my parents smoked in the house, around me, everywhere. I hate the smell, I hate the way my clothes and walls stain yellow. I hate the way my hair feels after hanging out with my mom.

How do I feel about others smoking?

Whatever. It doesn't bother me what you do as long as it doesn't affect me. It's your life but I shouldn't have to be affected by your choices. I stay away from bars, because it makes me sick, and I don't like the atmosphere.

I think smoking in bars and in restaurants is different though. It should be banned in restaurants because even though there are seperate areas for smokers and non smokers, it's still possible for the smell and smoke to seep to the non smoking side. Again, a non smoker should not have to be affected by the choice of someone who does smoke.

And to answer the main question, the cheapest pack of cigarattes are 2.54 and the most expensive is 5 bucks.

7. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Yeah, but this is more fun :p ;)
    I smoke regulars or rolled ones. My grandpa used to say that if you do something, you gotta do it right; and then he lit up his pipe :lol:

When I'm stressed out, I tend to feel calmer after a cigarette. But it's not like getting high or anything :p

I'm actually not arguing that smoking is bad for you. Because it IS bad for your health. I run 10km every two days. If I would quit smoking, I'd probably be able to run marathons :guffaw:

8. dopebabygirl

[
    there are a lot of things which are bad for your health - even fruit and veg - when they're sprayed, meat i don't even wanna know how much medicine animals are getting or what else is happening to them. and even when they say it's all bio, I can't believe that, only do when i'm at my aunt house :D but this isn't the subject

see, and not having any health probems :D even though we'd be healthier not smoking :D

9. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Ah yes, they are quite clever but those still are there when they drive in countries where ads are not forbidden (I don't know has it changed... haven't watched much this year)

Anyways... I guess ciggys cost here from 4euros to ...5.50? I don't know.. haven't buy any since my grandma died :p

I've personally never tasted, my sister smokes and my bro smokes when he is drunk.My grandma died at age of 87 - smoked some good 60 yrs. Had no cancer, but very bad lungs, weight 38kgs because had no appetite really. Finally her aorta gave up. She was one of the reason why I've never been interested in. Besides it makes you smell so bad.

Heh, my bf (who used to smoke few years ago) smoked cigar when his brother got a baby, I told him I won't be sleeping next to him so he changed to diff clothes when smoked :lol:

Here, a year ago, smoking was banned in bars. They need to smoke outside or bars built small rooms for smoking - and you cannot take drinks there (so it would be only for smoking) and it's a wonderful thing. Despite the whining, even smokers are happy that you don't have to go to shower when you get home because back in the old days your clothes were smelly and you hair and when you went to staright to bed, your sheets as well next morning. Headaches and sore eyes even you didn't drink.
    We were in Brussels in April and those who went to bar (some smokers) complained about "oh how awful it was because you could smoke inside"
    So people adjust.

Dad said, in the 70s when smoking was banned in the buses, he said people reacted like it was end of the world. And now everyone thinks it would be really stupid if you could smoke on the bus.

As for tax... oh here EVERYTHING is heavily taxed :p Even alcohol.

10. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I don't what bar you went to but normally, a ventilating system is obligated in bars now. There are pretty big fines for the bars that don't have them. Our favorite hangout was even completely renewed for that ventilating system. (We even have a fire exit now! :D :lol:)

11. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oh I didn't go in the bar, had barely money to buy food every day :p
    The smoking just is..despite the A/C, the smell of it is quite sticky and even a little of smoke, it attachs to your clothes

12. Missing

Missing Pathologist

First off I am not trying to start a big fight but this is one of those topics that just really gets my blood going.

Ok and how about all the beer bottles and cans--glass and alumimum are recycleable but how many drunks are consciencous about that? If you really want to get into the idea that the butts are a really big problem--then think again because look at the trash (go to your garbage and really look) and see what you have thrown that will sit in the landfill for years--see what could have been recycled or possibly re-used. Please do not cite that as a fault of smokers because we are ALL guilty of some type of litter.

Ok Wyoming your REBEL banner says "We are teens, We are educated, We are Not for sale" but let me ask you this... Do you buy/or wear NAME brand clothes? Do you eat NAME brand food? Do you have an IPOD? And I realize buy saying this that none of these things really affects your health but you have bought in to the popular item and thus are selling their item buy using it.

Well that's great and all but facts are facts and people are people and everyone has different views and you can say all you want but everything is relative.... lets say that 1 in 3 people die from tobacco smoke related ...so that 1 person (lets say he smoked a pack a day) dies from lung cancer but lived in a very polluted city and worked at a factory that makes plastics...who's to say what was the cause that killed him.

13. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

Smoking

Cigarettes, cigars, pipes and home-rolled. All that legal stuff. Do you smoke? If yes, for how long? What do you smoke? What made you start? If not, share your opinion. Where should it and where shouldn't it be legal? Does there need to be a tax hike on cigarettes to a) boost the economy and b) encourage people not to start in the first place? Do you judge smokers?

Vote away! And please, explain your choice.

These chat threads are a place of informed and opinionated people: come out and discuss, folks!

I don't smoke regularly - I'll have a cigarette with a group of people or at a party and I do think it's a good way to meet others. I met my current girlfriend when she asked to borrow a lighter at a local show. I don't get cravings when I haven't had a ciggie in a couple of days, weeks, months or whatever. I'll treat myself to a primetime or King Edwards Black Cherry every once in a while (mainly when I can bum one off a friend) and let me tell you non-smokers, it's like a creme brulee after only ever having jello for desert.

14. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Re: Smoking

We already have a smoking thread, so I will move this post to that thread.

15. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Re: Smoking

So, recap:
    Smoker: Yes
    How long: six years (I'm 22)
    What: Lucky strike, when I'm in a rolling mood: Tigra.
    How much: 1 pack every two days. (give or take)
    How did it start: Like it usually starts, with friends. Trying to be cool, I guess. I can't really remember my first cigarette.

I think taxes on cigarettes are high enough already. 4,60€ for a pack of 20 cigarettes? I heard that in February they're gonna raise the tax with another 60 cents. It's getting ridiculous.

I read somewhere earlier in the thread that cigarettes should be expensive so teenagers would have a hard time buying them. How about giving the salesmen who sell it to them a big fine?(Adult) smokers won't be bothered and kids can get their hands on it a lot harder.

Amen, my friend :D