Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology class?]

i dissected a sheeps heart in bio klass n we saw all da 4 chambers n d valves n tendons n dat :cool:... now dat woz ace :)... ma klass freaked out thou'!! :lol:

I dissected an owl pellet in science class the other day... it was very interesting....found two vole skeletons... my partner was slightly grossed out... but I was very interested... kinda felt like a CSI :D

Let's see...
In Grade 10 we did a frog. It was cool. Then in Grade 11 we did a fetal pig. My partners were so squeamish! I just grabbed the scalpel and said, "FINE! Give it to me, I'll do it!"
Then last semester at my new school (a special school for health science), we did a fetal pig again. We tried to get at it's brain, but the scalpel broke. oops! Good thing they were those dispo-scalpels. We also did a pig's heart. We were *supposed* to do a cow heart, but due to Mad Cow concerns it was decided to switch to pig. We were also scheduled to do a kidney (likely from a pig), but our prof said no. She told us that last year's group couldn't really make out the structures and it stank up the lab like urine.

I have seen "pre-dissected" specimens of cats and some human parts. We saw glass encased, preserved, sagittal sections of human reproductive systems. I.e. the waist to just at the upper part of the thigh. That was really interesting.

I don't have a problem with dissection. I've dissected a frog (twice), a lamb's eye, and a cat. The cat was for my human anatomy class and I spent from October to April dissecting it. I got very apathetic about it towards the end and I ended up taking a picture of the dissected cat with dissection tools placed in its paws. It was a black and white photo which turned out kinda cool in a disturbing sort of way.

I dissected a small shark. It was neat because it had this oil inside of it's stomach. When we cut it's stomach open, the oil sprayed up and covered my partner. Smelled ridiculous. We also found half digested smaller fish in it's stomach.

Re: Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology clas

At work today, I saw some bone samples of various animals and humans...it was pretty cool! :)

where do you work?

that reminds me of when I took forensic anthropology at my university last fall and being in the anthropology lab with all of the bones, human and nonhuman. I would be in there for hours on end working on my case reports and just studying the human skeleton. lets just say I know more now about the human skeleton than I think anyone would ever want to know!

I actually don't work in a forensic science lab; I don't want to say exactly where, but my work isn't directly related to forensic anthropology...more of like the effects that certain stuff can have on bones. :)

gotcha. seeing the effect of certain things on bones seems equally facinating. the knowledge of learning and investigating, two of my favorite things to do.

I dissected a small shark. It was neat because it had this oil inside of it's stomach. When we cut it's stomach open, the oil sprayed up and covered my partner. Smelled ridiculous. We also found half digested smaller fish in it's stomach.

A shark? wow that's kool, all i did was a rat, very originall hey! :D

a shark sounds interesting.

i cut up a pigs heart today! it was so much fun, but it stunk sooo bad, so I was feeling a little sick after. we were just looking at them, and cutting wherever, and the teacher told us what the tendons looked like, so we began to snap those, and we, well really mutilated it. It didn't look so good after we had finished with it.

Back