has watching these shows made you think...

Yes I am taking forensics right now.. freshman year.. and I'll be taking it for the next three.. and then college. I am going to be a forensics photographer, or toxicology, or chromotology. yeah it's just my first year in this class. not really that sure right now but one of those three. probally more choices as I go along though.

It's run around in my mind but i'm already in school from something else and i don't think i could really deal with dead bodies and blood.
Although I have fiqured out why I did so well in my Vet Lab Techniques class. It was the same reason I love watching CSI. Looking for things in microscopes and determaning what they are, etc.

I was looking at a career in the police and then i started watching csi i realised that is what i wanted to do. In the uk a csi is know as a soco (scene of crime officer) so i applied to university.

Just started last week and i am loving it, i have my first forensic science lecture tomorrow the rest have been biochemistry which is fairly hard lol. Cannot wait for tomorrow and the next 3 years then hopefully i can get work as a soco.

Although the job is totally different from the show i still want to do it. Forensic science deserves more credit, ok so there is detection work involved in getting an arrest etc etc but it is the science and people behind it who interprete it that ultimately put people away.

:D

oo yay .. hope!!! Some people told me that it was boring and they left college for a differet career. =[ But thnk you Grssom4ever

I've definately thought about going into that field, but I really don't think it would be something I'd be good at. I'm horrible at noticing little details and I'm not sure I could deal with the all the blood and autopsies. Also, since I'm so used to seeing cases solved so quickly on the show, I'm sure it would be frustrating to see how long it really takes...

blackened623 said:
I've definately thought about going into that field, but I really don't think it would be something I'd be good at. I'm horrible at noticing little details and I'm not sure I could deal with the all the blood and autopsies. Also, since I'm so used to seeing cases solved so quickly on the show, I'm sure it would be frustrating to see how long it really takes...

Don't let that discourage you. There are plenty of fields in forensics that do not require you to deal with blood or autopsies, or even notice minute details.

Forensic chemistry (drugs/toxicology) for example. Most forensic scientists do not go to crime scenes.

You know unfortunatly things aren't like in the actual show.. and that is what gets me. I don't know what it is really like to actually have a job as a forensic scientist. Because if I am at work half of my life and have no outside life.. I'd shoot myself. =[ That was a random thought by the way. Just thought I would put it out there.

iilovecsii said:
You know unfortunatly things aren't like in the actual show.. and that is what gets me. I don't know what it is really like to actually have a job as a forensic scientist. Because if I am at work half of my life and have no outside life.. I'd shoot myself. =[ That was a random thought by the way. Just thought I would put it out there.

I have the opposite opinion. Fortunately things aren't like they are on the show. I don't want to carry a gun around with me and interview/deal with criminals.

I live in a rather hot part of the US, and I MUCH prefer to be inside the nice cool air conditioning when it is 115F outside. When I feel the need to get some outside time, that's what breaks and lunch time are for. Most adults spend their work lives indoors.

I meant outside life like dating.. getting married..having kids...having friends.. I wouldn't want my whole life to revolve around one job. =[

I love the way it is on the show, I would love to walk around with my own gun and question the toughest murderers. And I'm definetely going into it. I don't believe in having a social life anyway, and I dont believe in marriage, so I can easily make this my career. Plus I don't mind the weather, I can deal with it whatever the weather should be.

Life ain't as easy as walking around with a gun and questioning the bad guys, infact you probably won't even see the bad guy unless you are in court giving eveidence.
The show helps with the whole CSI stuff but seriously is nothing like the show.
You don't get to work with sexy men or women in either case, it has it's ups and downs, but as i was told by a science teacher back in school, think it over, nothing is never as glamourous as it seems on TV, she was right but I'm still glad I took it up.

A career in forensics would be awful. I don't think I would be able to cope with the stresses and pressure of it all, let alone manage to remain objective and professional when dealing with such horrific crimes. I'm pretty sure I would be in tears every day! I think I would find giving evidence stressful as well. I think that where I live, there are people who collect the evidence, and then the forensic scientists all work out of a lab (of which there aren't many in the country - although there is one about 5 miles from where I am). It would be frustrating to have to wait 4-6 weeks for results, unlike the 5 minutes it takes Wendy or Hodges to seemingly get you a result.

Then again, maybe I would be willing to work in forensics if I could share an office with Nick Stokes... ;)

I think the shows are very good but a career in forensics would not suit me. Of course I have dreamed of becoming a doctor before, so it may not be just the dead bodies part, but I don't want to have to deal with them, or the long work. You take a risk for anything you choose in life and I will not take a risk for this job.

Back