has watching these shows made you think...

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by feenx, Aug 17, 2006.

1. csibabe

csibabe Prime Suspect

oh good. it knowing that me and mariel aren't the only 13-year-olds that have chosen a career in forensics.

it just pisses me off when people discourage me in my noble quest. kind of like when they make fun of my vegetarianism. they're just jealous cuz they didn't think of it first. the vegetarianism. not the career. have you started looking at schools yet, sandersidle?

2. Roosey

Roosey Captain

J, I agree with you. The real-life CSIs have a job that's a lot tougher, and that's what I like about it. :)

3. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

haha yup actually i have. ive googled forensic science career. and sometimes when you go on a acsi site they're will be forensic science career adds and i always click on them.

at the univeristy in my city they have recently started a forensic science program and they only take about 800 students or something and they do fake crimes and stuff. they have people searching for pig parts :)lol:) and putting clues together. its really cool, i want to take it. have you looked a websites yet?

i know that being a CSI in real life is not anything like on the show but i dont care. im not interesting in carring guns around, solving cases in 1 day, and have the lab results come back in like 20 mintues :p im just soo interested in DNA and fingerprints. its so cool how you can take someones print and find out alot about them :)

4. csibabe

csibabe Prime Suspect

ITA, sandersidle, if i carried a gun i'd probably end up shooting myself (accidentally, of course)

5. isa_benoit

isa_benoit Victim

This show (among others) has definitely piqued my interest in Forensics. I'm quite passionate about the methods and techniques used to solve crimes with forensic science. I've read many a book about the subject and several biographies of prominent figures in forensics (Sir Bernard Spilsbury mainly). So, yeah, I'd definitely say that I'd grandly enjoy a career in Forensic Science, though I doubt I will pursue my interest that far.

6. GrissomFREAK

GrissomFREAK CSI Level Two

Definitely. I mean, this show is simply fascinating.

Of course, reality is not that pretty -look at all the cool equipment, cars, tools they work with. Idealized depiction sure, but still, you know the job in itself must be so enriching both intellectually and personally :cool:

7. csibabe

csibabe Prime Suspect

i couldn't agree with you more, GrissomFREAK

8. Mini_Catherine

Mini_Catherine CSI Level One

I actually haven't thought of a job in forensics. I kow GeekLoveRulesGSR has, though. :lol: That's just because she's a nerd. I mean, hehe. She's going to kill me.. and then use her forensics skills to hide the body.

I actually haven't even said, "ooh, I'd love to do that." As much of a strong stomach as I do have, I don't think I'd be able to. Plus, the stuff our beloved CSI's do on the show is all combined. There's the collection part, and the whole "solving the crime part," and the anilization, and also the lab rats, ermh, techs. I want to be a vet, actually!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

i would definatly consider a career in forensic science and i would jump at the opportunity to be a CSI

10. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Have any of you tried the Cornwell challenge, parts 1 and 2?

11. talyra

talyra Hit and Run

I'd considered it - for about five minutes! Real-life forensics isn't nearly as glamourous. However, I'm going into something not unrelated... I'm doing an archaeology degree! Archaeology also uses evidence to put a story together - the story of the past. The difference is that you have much more room for subjectivity and less responsibility with archaeology - there are no grieving relatives or possibly innocent peoples' lives to ruin if you make a mistake!
    Not that archaeology is especially glamourous either - but I'm happier with mud than blood and bodily fluids...

12. grissoms_gurl

grissoms_gurl Coroner

I'm currently in the process of getting my Criminal Justice Policing diploma.. and the thought of specializing in forensics is actually kind of interesting to me! It definitely isn't as glamorous, but to me it's worth a try!

13. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Patricia Cornwell, aside from being an accomplished mystery writer, is the present Director of Applied Forensic Sciences at the National Forensic Society. She and her colleagues of the NFS have created this challenge to counter what is known as "The CSI Effect" and to teach us what a true CSI does! I recommend that you give it a chance --it will surely enlighten you ! ;)

14. Laci Caine

Laci Caine Prime Suspect

I'm currently in college for Forensic Psychology with an emphasis in Crime Scene Investigation. Yes, to become a CSI. And yes, I do realize that it is alot different from the show. But I'm willing to work for it.

15. chaosTheory

chaosTheory Dead on Arrival

I really wanted to get into Forensic Science before I ever watched CSI, way back before I went to college.

When I was still in school we got a talk from a pathologist who said that it was really hard to progress up the career ladder as things only change when there's a new state pathologist.

And once someone is the state pathologist they pretty much stay in that job until they retire. This is in Ireland btw.

I'm a lot more interested in the psychological side of Forensics though, i was tempted to do Cognitive Science but instead i'm just an "amateur" psychologist now - reading what i can online and in Scientific American Mind.