Grade 'Second Chances'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Dec 16, 2009.

?

How would you grade Second Chances?

1. A+

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. A

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  6. B-

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. C-

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I wasn't expecting too much from this episode, so I was really surprised to find how much I liked it. The scene at the beginning with Mac and Stella was great -- not even finding out they were getting a tree for charity could spoil that -- it was such a lighthearted and fun moment, which have been kind of rare in the past few episodes. I haven't seen Mac that upbeat in...gah, a while :lol:

Maybe it was the twist to the case that made it so much more interesting to me. What Kim and Vanessa's characters were doing, it was a really dark way to twist the theme of volunteering that underlined the episode. Those were some epic levels of coldheartedness, and that made the whole thing fascinating to me (admittedly, it was more fascinating on the second rewatch, when I already knew what the girls' motives were).

Flack and Danny had some fabulous lines that made me laugh -- I loved their interrogation together. And was extremely happy with Flack's scenes with Kim Kardashian's character, can't really say why though. He was so snarky to her, I'm still LOLing. Another interrogation I really, really liked was Mac's final one with Vanessa Minnilo's character. Again, can't really say why, but I thought it was really well done. His "doing good" line didn't bother me; I saw it as him trying more to one-up her than meaningless sanctimony.

DL has been getting on my nerves like whoa ever since the season began, and it's so, so not getting better :scream: That being said, I think the whole "Boom" thing was supposed to be a joke. Lindsay's adopted that same catchword how many times since Season 4? The real irony would be if she said it again and Lucy picked it up from her. I agree that that...might be worth watching :lol:

Someone said earlier that Lindsay's blue top clashed with the Santa outfits...I agree, it hurt my eyes in that last scene and was distracting -- but she was cute with the kids, so I forgave it. That final scene was extremely heartwarming, I'll be corny and admit it :lol: I wish it hadn't been done in montage-form, though I love Pat M.'s singing. I felt like that laid on the cheese just a little too much. And it would've been a hundred times better if it had been Sid to dress up as Santa Claus -- or even Adam (who would've made an even more perfect Santa). This musical-chairs game they're playing with the disappearing actors is not fun.

On Vanessa Minnillo's (sp?) and Kim Kardashian's acting... I thought Vanessa did a better job than Kim; she wasn't too bad (except for that one scene in the morgue, with the single tear), and I enjoyed her final scene with Mac. Kim, not so much -- I agree that she didn't convey much emotion (or anything else) at all. Lucky she was supposed to be playing a cold-hearted villain. They might've picked better actresses for these parts (Pat, on the other hand, did very well). But it didn't ruin the episode for me, so I'm satisfied.

One random note -- I kept rewinding the scene where Vanessa's character ID-ed her husband's body in the morgue. No matter how many times I watched it, the coroner who removes the sheet still looked like Mark Sloan from GA, which was hilarious and distracting :lol:

Final Grade: B+

2. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I gave this episode a B+, I wasn't expecting anything big to happen in this episode but I wasn't disappointed. The part I loved the best was Danny, Lindsay and Hawkes dressing up as Elves and giving out presents for the kids....how cute was that?

3. starrybluemoon

starrybluemoon Dead on Arrival

Hey Guys!
    I thought that this epi was okay, but deifinately not the best, but it wasn't horrible....although it kinda got boring in the middle,
    but, the ending just brightened me up!!! Flack, Danny, Lindsay and Hawkes just made me laugh, they were soo cuteeeee (although I wonder how Sid & Adam would have looked if they were in elf costumes...:thumbsup:) and then the Smacked hug at the end...

I didn't find this episode very familiar...(probably because I never watched the closer..), so I thought the case was pretty interesting

Overall: Okay, maybe a B+??

4. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

Definitely A+. And to be honest, all I cared about was to see Eddie aka Flack in the elf costume :). He looked freaking adorable, and this was my personal Xmas gift to myself HEHE. I was also able to do some awesome HD screen caps of the CSI: NY elves, so check out my site below if you wanna see them ;).

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I watched it again last night. It is a great Christmas episode! Wow at Mac and Stella! They can be a great couple if the writers decide to take that route. But personally, they should stay as good friends. I always have fun watching them work, fight and care with each other.

The case is something different. I thought it would have been more chilling if the confession scene was done right. Kim was okay with her scenes but her acting at the confession wasn't convincing at all - as if she was just reading the script. Vanessa was good. Lala had one scene but it was fun. "Is this the part where I look at the bloody crime scene, break down to tears and confess to murder?!" Flack: Only if you did it! :lol:

The last scene is also great to watch. It is cheesy but not the most! I still give the cheesiest moment of the season to Mac's football catch scene! That was so unnecessary and ruined the shock value of the scene before it.

I still enjoy it a lot. A.

6. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Geeno, i believe having Mac and Stella as main characters and not putting them together is like enjoying a sunny and extremely hot day watching how all people enjoy delicious ice creams and cold sodas meanwhile you are thirsty behind a bullet-proof glass wall

a complete WASTE!:wtf::wtf::wtf:

This episode was one of my fav of S6 :D mainly
    because that precious scene at the beginning:drool:
    the case, touching, emotional:thumbsup:

the musical background (Just INCREDIBLE!):drool:

and just because it was the first Christmas episode and it was very well done!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And i remember i gave to this one A+:thumbsup:

7. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yeah that's true. I'm not anti-Smacked at all. Maybe I just don't see them as a romantic couple for now. I think I need more time. :lol: Actually, Mac/Stella is my favorite pairing in all CSIs. I like all the scenes they had in the episode especially the Christmas tree and hugging scenes in the end. The spark between them never fades since season one. Who will forget their amazing confrontation scene on 'Officer Blue'? How about the hotdog scene on 'ReCycling'? :)

I felt like Christmas when I heard that!

It's an awesome feeling to have another Christmas episode, since 'Silent Night'.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Oh if there are TWO episodes i will never forget are those 2:drool::drool::drool:

One positive side of S5 was precisely that side of their relationship. We could watch them having catfights like in Officer Blue or Supply and Demand back in S1 and we had the same dynamic and ALWAYS the same chemistry:drool:

Definitely S1 , S4 and S5 marked their relationship:drool:

well i think when i started watching CSI NY was still summer;)Having Marlee Matling as guest star was a priviledge. I was a little one when i saw her movie with William Hurt:drool: and i believe it was my first non- kid movie(And the second one was Lady Jane. Not surprise why i am the Drama Queen:lol:

However I can live without Mac making up with one of his girlfriends. Thanks, no thanks:lol:

Again, the idea of more catfight between Mac and Stella and then a making up scene is my idea of perfection (I still remember Aiden's face when she saw them arguing. It was like "Mom and Dad are having one of those days":p;)

9. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I can't remember a sparky Mac/Stella scene during season 2. With season 3, the last scene of '...Comes Around' when they were talking about their first cases.

I miss Aiden. :(

10. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

mmm there were cool moments but still they were apart in S2 .
    Someone of those cool moments i can recall

2.01 and Stella saying just the female of thr specie (mosquito) bites :D
    And then when Mac fired Aiden, Stella was there just to check on him and the same in Heroes when Mac was alone and Stella went to him and he told her Aiden's story:thumbsup:
    Or in Charge of this post and Stella trying to control the situation despite her voice was telling another thing:drool:
    And the best when Mac heard in the radio there was a shooting at Stella's apartment (All Access) we have never seen that Mac again and i still wonder why:shifty:

ps: I miss Aiden too. She was great and specially as Stella's sidekick!

ps2: S3 had several moments too but i still like S1, S4 and S5 (maybe because there weren't intruders in sight :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  11. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

One of the best episodes of the season(despite the lame guest stars).

A- from me.

12. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Intruders... you mean Frankie and Peyton? :lol:

I almost forgot about season 2. It's my least favorite season but it had some awesome episodes too (Aiden's story, crossover, and finale)!

13. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Geeno, you could work as mind reader:lol:

yeap, i was talking about Frankie and Virus. Frankie was a psycho so it was a matter of time to get rid of him but Virus was another story:lol:

Life without intruders is sooooooo perfect:lol:

14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

They were the first to come in my mind! :)

Whoa, her name is Peyton not Virus! ;):guffaw: I actually like Peyton. I think she's charming. :thumbsup: Frankie is creepy! Good thing, he died. My favorite Stella is not for him!

15. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

*cough, yeap i meant Peyton:lol:

(It's not so easy to get rid of old habits:lol:)

Actually believe it or not, absence made love grew:lol: I do like Peyton now :D Not for Mac of course ;) but definitely it's the type of character i can be fond of:lol: