Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • D-

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Not a bad episode, definitely they should let CG loose with a typewriter again.

One thing I didn't like. About half way through the ep when Mac was being all sanctimonius and smug towards the head vampire guy Vance (?) and had his "I know it was you what done it" attitude, I really really wanted the guy to be innocent, just to prove Mac wrong*. And then practically the next scene, Mac was all "Well just because I don't agree with his religious beliefs doesn't mean he's an evil killer". It just felt like a complete turnaround without any specific justification. And maybe it would have sat better if Mac *hadn't* been so full of it in the earlier scene.

(* I had the same attitude towards a killer in CSI Miami once, when I wanted him to be innocent, just to wipe the smug look off Horatio's face. He wasn't, and I stopped watching the show after that)

I really enjoyed this episode. I liked the whole idea of the vampire cult. Yes, it was creepy but it's something that's probably real. I thought the beginning scenes in Central Park were beautiful and well done. Kudos goes to the director for that one.

When I heard Carmine wrote this episode, I was expecting a lot of Danny and a lot of Lindsay. I was surprised. There was a few scenes with Danny, and I don't think Lindsay even showed up in the episode.

I liked the twist that the boyfriend did it and that they didn't make a member of the cult do it as is typical on the CSI's. I think that the episode did a great job of showing how people react when they don't understand something or don't think of it as "acceptable".

I gave it a B+.

Hi! I have a question. Does anybody know what music sounds at the beginning of this episode? It's so beautiful, but I can't find it.

since Carmine wrote it i somewhat liked it but i was so bored the whole ep.

i was so excited to hear "Tear to Spare" in the tattoo parlor scene.

i was very happy to not see Carmine in it so much that he gave the other characters to have a chance to be in it.

so on the whole: extremely boring and if this had not been written by Carmine i would be giving it an F

Liked how Sid was all factual about vampires and then he had to ruin it by asking if the father was from Romania. Tsk tsk, Sid.

Another thing that bothered me about the show was we see the murder through the camera lens. We see her lying there all night. We see the park worker discover her. When the CSI team comes the camera is buried several inches in the snow. Just didn't make sense.

And then yet another thing that didn't make sense is that there were pictures of the girl at the gathering when they were pointing out that the boyfriend wasn't there. Who took the pictures? I thought it could have been the boyfriend who took those pictures. But Mac made such a big deal about him not being there. Why did she feel the need to hide the film?

So. Sanguine Love.

Well, I'm certainly not gonna be among those who will like it just cos Carmine wrote it. :p

Nor I am likely to credit him solely on aspects I would count as a win for the people often overlooked, the art dept, dop, camera and lx, sound, scoring, visuals and post, all stood out to me. Carmine, who either lucked into or was gifted with Noberto Barba for his ep, gets his due along with his director for the good that was there, but he's not the only one. The rest get theirs too. Wish there was more good to go around.

Good: Style, visuals, music
Lacking: Content.

It was indeed a pretty picture. How many words it might be worth, well, beyond me to guess.

I liked a winter episode for New York.

I liked the b/w and photography motif, the palette, the muted colors punctuated here and there with splashes, the shots and visual points of view. (I think Wardrobe musta been delighted Estelle's boots got such attention in the opening minutes :p). I thought that it was a nice touch that the mug shot at the end of Keith was also b/w (wif accompanying sound punctuation).

I liked the use of photography to introduce the victim, and the lapse photography motif right thru to the discovery of the body. I liked that Sid was used to introduce the Cult and the issue of pseudovampirism into the realm of a New York City homicide investigation. I liked that Sheldon got some decent screentime in an episode that wasn't written to highlight him. I personally appreciated the omission of Lindsay from another episode. I very much missed Adam. What can I say :p. (Perhaps with having Carmine double up on duties, budget-minded kieblers nudged at having this be one of the shows Buckley and Belknap didn't appear in...?)

I think the scoring was very well done, and a nice change.

I thought it amusing that I'd done so well to avoid recent exposure to wampiric drek, and yet, an hour I was gonna sit down to was gonna be Sanguine. I was further amused in my oversaturation to be bombarded with commercials, regardless of channel, for the upcoming Wolfman pic.

I liked that Carmine seemed to take a step back and look at the whole of the show and the talented chess pieces he had at his disposal (not talking just actors here folks). It was an ep of NY, with characters and background filling their roles as detectives and lab personnel in an investigation. It looked a busy lab occupied with many things, with our focus on this one particular case. I think the episode also had solid guest actors, though neither they nor our own main roster were obliged to stretch much. Well. Beyond portraying believing in Sanguine convictions; portraying skepticism of them not so hard methinks.

I liked the casting of the father, I thought the actor playing Keith was very good, that the material for both was best early on and waned; I liked the guy playing the concierge; wish Carlo Rota had more to work with.

I do think the show made a concerted effort to make Vance a Worthy Adversary, but even with the gravitas, the careful, slow, deliberate crafting and revelation of the Sanguine, he didn't have substance, and I suppose I never bought him for a herring, red or otherwise. The tattooist didn't even qualify for consideration :lol:

I liked that, for the first half of the episode at least, we were spared the usual fx on zooms and processing and cuts and inserts. They did reappear later, but the first half had a very paced, near-serene, and stylized quality that worked well. All layers were fused. Even a scene with no music or fx at all, just the words (and a few wee mallets).

I think the ep did well where dialog and character interaction were concerned.

The doorman made me smile. Sid made me smile. Sheldon getting "here you go, doctor," and receiving a folder while in Mac's office, made me go "aw," and smile. Sheldon snapping "hey - my man..." made me laugh. The tattooist asking Flack and Sheldon if they were gonna get NYPD tattoos was fun.

The scenes of Mac and Sid were solid, very good and fun. Sid's "...don't give me that look..." made me smile. Mac's "don't waste my time" to Christenson Sr. fit well. The fact that there was a sanguine family named Christenson was vaguely and briefly interesting I suppose.

Flack's "you're not gonna bite me are you" was good, (and yes, made me smile), and while fun, Mac's "you are deeply disturbed, I'll give you that," was perhaps spoiled for me, literally :p, but also came in a scene that was posturing both men and trying very hard to be Pivotal Point in the episode.

Carmine clearly knows the people he's writing, NYPD or tattooists or what have you. I thought he wrote for their positions well. Mac's involvement is what it should have been and also didn't overstep it, Flack and Sheldon had some screentime together in ways that worked well and was believable (and fun).

Similarly Danny and Flack, though I think the show should be careful in blandly relying on that dynamic; in some instances, the writers start to come across as trying to be cute, where the DF dynamic has always the most solid when it's effortless and unimposed. Carmine did pretty well here, but theirs wasn't a stand out scene for me as for others. Danny and Stella had a few quick scenes, good but essentially keeping things moving, etc. Sid and Mac had some good scenes together too.

Carmine was far less successful in creating a juicy story (so to speak). It was all just a bit ...thin. And even. Little sense of pursuit, no gravity to it, being a homicide detective seemed very sedate in this episode. If I thought it to comment on the daily grind of the NYPD I'd be happier for it. I think the bait and switch of developing the Sanguine aspect of the victim's life and keeping up statistics with the partner/spouse being the perpetrator was a less than terribly clever Twizt. Nor was it a mallet-free episode.

It was, for the most part, a linear story, with a focus on clarity, and did have a certain visual and auditory precision and elegance and ambiance, but the substance didn't benefit in the same way. If Keep It Simple Stupid was a motto, they managed, but I think they coulda pushed just a little bit more.

I think the nature of Estelle's killing by Keith seemed rather odd element, one somehow didn't fit the other, it just fit the plot device; there were also some ankh and ear issues. I also had Keith pegged. So I wasn't surprised they (finally) returned to him (forensically of course, franchise mandate and all, wouldn't do just to look at a piccie). But hey, it all sure did enable a nice opening sequence, the premise, and the opportunity to have vampires in Gotham... :p

Overall rather humdrum, another case, and even the investigation of a pseudo-vampiric cult couldn't infuse it with a sense of energy, or even suggest that someone could be on the edge of getting away with murder. The focus was on the puzzle, which was lacking.

In one sense, this is the opposite of how I'd have guessed a current CSI:NY episode involving Vampires might typically be portrayed, and I suppose I'm somewhat happy for that... :lol:

One of the best tips to come out of the episode was to ensure that your tattooist isn't also a Wampire. Unless you count that as a good thing of course.

So. Overall. Low key and deliberate is one thing, but even in dealing with the undead it might be nice to feel there's a pulse... :p

Call it slightly above average. Bonus points for visual style and scoring, which is what I'll remember of it most, dinged for thin content, vampires notwithstanding.

B- or a C+. Hmmm. C+.

Last edited:
I don't want to deny the fact that Oberto Barba's work is not important, I read that the quality of this episode is only at his credit. But he directed 7 episodes and the last one was "death house" it was good but banal and none of these 7 episodes were very differents of the other CSI NY

But this one is different, and this fact let me think that the director's job is also to do with the script, we saw a few pics of Carmine with head phone during the shooting (in central park where Danny doesn't appear), a video with the musician... I'm pretty sure he didn't give the script and say do what y want with this stuff...

So I would say half/half for the credit

Grade = C.

Count me as another one who thought the opening sequence was beautifully filmed – it reminded me of certain scenes from the movie, Snow Falling on Cedars, which won awards for its cinematography IIRC. I also liked the visual imagery they used in the opening sequence to depict the passage of time from the murder to the discovery of the body to the arrival of the CSI’s....The music for the entire opening was really haunting and beautiful.

The case was less interesting. This was the second week in a row with a slower paced, low key type of case/episode, and the focus on lab work, interviews, and exposition really gave it a repetitive, plodding feel. Also, the boyfriend’s motivations and actions didn’t quite make sense to me. His girlfriend came under the influence of what was to him a dangerous man and group, and his response was to kill her and bite off her ear in a fit of rage? And why did he try to frame Joseph with the ear when the presence of unknown DNA was almost certain to be discovered and implicate someone besides Joseph?

As for the vampire element, I didn’t think it added much to the story – almost any type of cult-like group (and charismatic leader) could’ve been used to set up this scenario. I do think it was interesting that the girl’s father looked at vampirism as a religion; whereas, it seemed like Joseph’s motivations may have been different. Would’ve been interesting to see this difference explored with a bit more depth; but in the end, it seemed the vampire element was just there to allow for a few semi-erotic scenes involving attractive young women – sort of like last week’s lingerie football.

Overall, I thought the writing was ok but seemed more oriented towards presenting and solving the case. What was missing were some of the personal moments and interactions which reveal more of the characters, their personalities, and/or relationships. There were a few moments of that sort but not enough, and without such moments, the characters tend to come off as a bit too generic and bland. Another slightly odd factor was the absence of markers that would tie this episode to the current “reality” and continuity of season six. Seems like this episode could’ve been dropped into any of the previous three seasons with very little change.

As for comparing this episode to Grounds for Deception, it’s a bit tough for me because they seemed to have different purposes/goals. GfD was supposed to wrap MK/Stella’s Greek coins arc, so I don’t find it surprising that there’s a lot of Stella in the episode. Sanguine Love seems like more of a standalone episode showing the team doing normal, solid forensic work to solve a crime (albeit with the unusual element of vampirism).

Anyway, judging from the promo, looks like they’ll be back to more action-oriented stuff this week. Going into the break, will be interesting to see if the show ends on a strong note.

I gave it a B+. Would have given it an A had there been some Adam. :)

Loved seeing Charles Shaungessy (sp?) again. Haven't seen him in anything since The Nanny reunion. :lol:

Flack: That's a relief. She's got a bed.
Danny: What did you think she'd have a coffin? :lol:

Sid: maybe they're descendants of Vlad The Impaler.

Flack to Suspct: You're not gonna bite me, are you? :lol:

Suspect: I am deeply disturbed by Estelle's death.
Mac: You are deeply disturbed, I'll give you that much.

Stella: What about Dracula?
Danny: Should I put him on the suspect list?

Back