Grade 'Sanguine Love'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Feb 3, 2010.

?

How would you grade Sanguine Love?

1. A+

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. A

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. B+

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. B-

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Fan123

Fan123 Hit and Run

Carmine's artistic nature shines through in this episode-visually I found it beautifully shot. I think the subtle sensual aspect in the ritual was well done. I like the one case shows as you are not bouncing back and forth and I think some people saw that as slow. I do agree that Adam could have had some great lines in this ep. Lindsey was not a good fit for this ep imho. All in all in his first writing attempt I would give it an A. Ceesau also made it's way into the Tattoo parlor scene with "Tear to Spare" So Carmine was a triple player here. Kudo's to him for making it happen!

2. cooper

cooper Civilian

I am new to this but here goes... I really like the episode. Carmine is truly a gifted and artistic writer. I hope he gets more chances to write. I did no think it moved slow or anything like that. The musical choices were excellent. I do miss it when they exclude certain characters however. Did Carmine purposely exclude Anna and A.J. or was that the producers choice. I do like the Danny/Lindsay story line ( don't shot me... just my opinion) and A. J. always adds something to the show. It just seems so blatant when someone is excluded without mention of where they are. Overall . I give the episode an A.

3. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

At least we know that Adam was around as Mac asked him to develop the roll of picture and it's not from his generation he didn't have a clue how to do it - that's why Danny feels so old:lol::lol::lol:

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Kudos to Carmine. I admit I'm not a devoted fan, but he really impressed me here. The case was nothing outstanding, though I did enjoy it -- I appreciated it more for the simple fact that Carmine seemed to have put his heart into writing for the show & not for Danny -- there was no ego playing a part in this episode & I really enjoyed it for that reason alone.

The scene with Estelle in her little ceremony thing was bothersome -- it wasn't the blood, or the wierdo sucking it from her wrist -- it was her reaction. I thought for sure she'd light up a cigarette afterwards.

The ending was strange at first, but after the closing scene of the boyfriends face it occured to me that the father saying Estelle was able to see the beauty in everything she came across was a reference to her seeing the beauty in the boyfriend. I saw it that way, anyway...it was a nice touch I thought.

Overall, it was an enjoyable episode. Carmine did very well; he should be proud, as should TPTB.

5. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

I gave it an A, because I personally enjoyed the episode very much. Carmine did a very good job, so kudos to him! In fact, for me it is one of the best episodes of season 6 so far. A very interesting & compelling storyline as well as beautifully chosen filming locations. The Flack/Danny scene was my favorite one, they always throw such cool lines between each other. My favorite Flack line was definitely, "You are not gonna bite me, are you?" ;)

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I watched the episode again uninterrupted. Even though the pacing of this one was slower than most NY episodes I didn't find it to be "slow." I was interested from start to finish and I think a lot of that had to do with the characterizations. I liked the set up of Estelle taking pictures in Central Park. It gave me a connection to her that I often feel is lacking with other victims. I felt like I got to know her through her photographs and through the other people in her life even though she never spoke in the episode.

I also felt a connection to the parents. They weren't the typical red herrings because we knew they weren't in the city when the murder occurred; they were just parents grieving the loss of their daughter who was taken from them much too soon. Even though the father tried to hide the vampirism from Mac, I still felt for him because he was simply trying to protect his daughter and every one else in the haven from the ignorance of people who wouldn't understand their beliefs.

Even though I pegged the boyfriend from the get go I even somewhat felt for him too. I also loved the irony that he was trying to "protect" her from people he felt were changing her, but he was the only one who ended up hurting her.

As others have said, the music was spot on for the subject matter and the pacing of the show. Also, it wasn't blaringly loud as it sometimes is during some of the processing scenes. That really annoys me when the music actually distracts from what is happening on screen.

I give kudos to Eddie Cahill for playing Flack as a darker character than he was before Angell's death. He's still got the wit, but it definitely has an edge to it that wasn't there before.

And as I said before, I give major kudos to Carmine for writing a solid episode that featured all of the team (everyone who was in the episode, that is) working together cohesively without a lot of gimmicky techno crap or trying to be too clever/funny/focused on the team's personal lives/etc.

A- It would have gotten higher if I hadn't pegged the boyfriend as the killer.

7. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I watched it with skepticism because of the episode Melina wrote. I'm sure it's not easy writing for a HUGE production like CSI NY. There are lots of things to consider...

Carmine did a great job! Again I was leary because of the subject matter. I'm not a fan of the Twilight series, don't care to read/watch so when it was announced that Carmine was writing an episode dealing with it, I was like WTF. :wtf:

With that being said, I actually enjoyed it. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be. The cinematography was gorgeous. The pictures Estelle were taking were also beautiful. That was the idea, something light and beautiful, and angellic scenery of the park, contrasted with the 'dark' and 'sinful' life of the vampire or vampirism.

The music was also beautiful. It moved along with the storyline. Too many times the music tends to overshadow the storyline.

Which brings me to the storyline itself. I, like everyone else, pegged the boyfriend. It was another 'star-crossed lovers' theme with is getting sort of played out in CSI, but this was done a bit differently with the hint of the vampire ways thrown in. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, again different from what I expected it to be.

Overall, a B for the cinematography and the music.

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, cooper :)

Yeah, it was nice that one of the most important pieces of evidence was a basic roll of black and white film. Too often the show revolves around the newest gadget or some convenient database - seeing Danny develop pictures in a darkroom was a nice throwback to more simple investigative methods.

It also reminded me of "Blink", when he and Aiden were developing film from a camera that was found alongside their Russian victim.

[​IMG]

Oh, season one....*sniff* I miss Aiden. :(

9. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

I liked this episode. The winter scenes were beautifully photographed. The music fit the mood. The story moved slower than usual, it wasn't as frenetic as most episodes, and that was good. The vampire shtick fit in with the rest of NY's odd plots. I loved the "You're not gonna bite me, are you?" comment from Flack. Carmine did a good job. He should write more.

10. raymakay

raymakay Dead on Arrival

I gave it a B+. It wasn't my favorite episode but it was pretty good. I can honestly say I was pleasantly surprised. Considering it was written by a cast member, it had soap stars in it, and it was about vampires I really wasn't expecting to enjoy it. But, even though I thought it moved a bit slow, it was pretty good. For a first attemp,t I thought Carmine's story was as good as anything else this season and hope he writes another one.

11. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

"Sanguine Love" sported some of the most beautiful cinematography in the history of the show, and if Carmine had any say in that, he should be allowed to walk around the set sans pants for the rest of his days. The aerial shots of the snow-covered city were lovely, and the hoarfrosted, tree-lined park was simply exquisite, a scene from a Disney fairy tale. Of only the rest of the episode had lived up to its cinematographic promise, and if only Carmine Giovinazzo had actually written it.

According to IMDB, a Carmine Giovinazzo wrote it, but it wasn't the Carmine Giovinazzo of CSI:NY. It was his older cousin, Carmine "Buddy" Giovinazzo, who scores movies and directs German TV shows like Tatoert. This wasn't precisely hidden knowledge; it was readily available on IMDB, but considering the buzz generated by the announcement that Carmine would be penning an episode, I find it disingenuous of TPTB to let the fans think that the Carmine, the one that makes fans tingly in their naughty parts, was responsible for it. Carmine didn't exactly clarify the issue, either, when asked if he enjoyed writing the episode, and maybe it's the hard-dying revenant of the academic in me, but it feels decidedly slimy for Carmine to publicly take credit for what he didn't write, even if that information is readily available elsewhere.

The episode itself had promise, though it was nearly derailed by a sloppy prop department who did an execrable job of distorting the boyfriend's face in the "blurry" death photo. My myopic ass recognized his features immediately, and making characters with excellent vision behave like legally blind lemurs with traumatic brain injuries to further the plot was a minor instance of the Pudding!! Directive.

What is the Pudding!! Directive, you ask?

A bit of backstory:

On a recent episode of Supernatural, Sam and Dean have infiltrated a sanitarium to investigate a series of suicides. At one point, they sneak into the morgue to examine a victim. They're caught by a nurse, who understandably demands to know what they're doing there. Dean doesn't have a ready answer, so he drops his pants, waves his arms over his head, and gleefully shouts, "Pudding!!" to distract her from their snooping.

Hence, the Pudding!! Directive Resolution, which reads as follows:

WHEREAS, we, the writers of CSI:NY need to advance the plot of our latest ridiculous, trend-hopping episode, and WHEREAS, that advancement requires that one or more characters behave in a manner contrary to their previously-established natures, and WHEREAS, we, the writers, realize that those among our fanbase who do not sniff glue, eat paint chips, or huff whippets might be moved to question these actions,

THEREFORE, be it here RESOLVED by those here assembled that from henceforth, we shall engage in the Pudding Directive to distract those viewers from the inconsistencies and gross inaccuracies to which they are routinely subjected in the name of profit and slothful expediency.

THEREFORE, be it here resolved by those here assembled that the Pudding Directive shall be defined thusly:

Whenever a necessary plot contrivance threatens the ability of viewers to suspend disbelief or causes them to ponder the whys and wherefores of such an egregious act of character assassination, or whenever a necessary plot contrivance causes viewers to put their fist through the television set, then a male character on the show shall not hesitate to drop his pants, wave his arms above his head, and scream, "Pudding!!" until such time as the inconsistencies are forgotten or adequately overshadowed sufficiently to ensure our continued employment.

THEREFORE, be it here resolved that those here assembled shall not abuse this Directive, but employ it for the betterment of the program and our profession.

Resolved on this Day of January 25, in the Year of our Lord 2010.

The CSI:NY Writing Staff

Surely Adam could've cleaned up the photo to allow a clear image of the killer's face. Danny had just made a point of noting that he was a child of the digital age, and this is a show and a franchise that prides itself on its fantastical technological capabilities. They've enhanced license plates from Saturn, for Christ's sake, and created a virtual crime scene by synthesizing and amalgamating the data from hundreds of cellphones. You're telling me that they can't clarify a single still image? Please. Try harder next time.

No one dropped trou, but Flack looked lovely in the snow. I miss the suits. He looked dashing in black, I grant you, but Flack is rather drab without the suits, far less distinctive than he once was. There isn't much to distinguish him from Danny(aside from the better hygiene). His snark is still there, but there's a more caustic edge to it now. I don't think we'll be seeing the gleeful, boisterous Flack of "Child's Play" ever again, and that makes me a sad panda. I'm not criticizing the change; a seismic shift was inevitable after Angell's death and his subsequent execution of Simon Cade, but it makes me sad all the same.

The much-ballyhooed "vampires" were a complete non-factor. Unlike other episodes, where we're subjected to an interminable immersion in the subculture of the week, i.e., the endless slow-motion shots of the lingerie football league, we see the "vampires" for a minute. Maybe. You could've substituted "vampire" with "Jain" for all the difference it would've made. Yawn. The entire case was leaden and felt like an outline they decided to film. It had the necessary framework to get from A to B to Z, but lacked vitality. Aside from the fun Danny-Flack scene in the victim's apartment, the entire cast seemed bored with the material.

As a consequence, so was I. C-

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I could be wrong, but in this case I would suspect IMDb made an error and attributed the episode to the Carmine Giovinazzo who has writing credits rather than that Carmine, Hill and the CBS press department conspired to make fans think the CSI: NY Carmine wrote the episode when in fact it was his cousin. IMDb has been known to get stuff wrong in the past, and I would suspect that in this case, it was an attribution error rather than an attempt to pull the wool over fans' eyes. I suppose anything's possible, but that would be my guess.

I thought the episode was decent--I'd give it a B. It wasn't the most gripping one ever, but I do have to give Carmine major props for not making it All About Danny or some absurd Danny-centric hour a la "Grounds for Deception." It was a nice ensemble piece, and just beautifully, beautifully shot and scored. I'd give the director credit for that, though.

Loved seeing Carlo Rota in this one--he's a big favorite of mine, and I thought he was so good in the role of Joseph!

I loved Danny's joke about Adam, and it was nice to also not see Messer Family Drama in the hour. Not even a reference to Lindsay... that speaks volumes. ;) I will stop short of saying Danny was like his old self... he wasn't, and that's too bad. I miss Danny's fire, his passion. I hope the Shane Casey storyline can bring that back.

13. raymakay

raymakay Dead on Arrival

Yeah, IMBd is wrong. If you watch the behind the scenes interview with Carmine from youtube on the main spoiler thread he is very excited about the episode and he seems like a pretty stand up guy. I doubt he would look in the camera and flat out lie to our faces that he wrote it.

14. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Carmine you did good!:thumbsup: And the scenery with the snow was beautiful. New York was the star of the show this time. A+ for effort!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  15. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

That was my first thought also. So I took a close look. :)

[​IMG]

^ The picture Danny showed Stella in the dark room seemed like boyfriend's. But there's blond hair. Here's the boyfriend at the park.

[​IMG]

So it's Estalle's, not boyfriend's. I wish they had used this photo instead though, less confusing. :)

[​IMG]

...was my thought and... Oh god! I was wrong again! I rewatched and caped a couple more pics and... found this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ The blurry photo was catching this moment! Where is the image reconstruction program they usually use?? They should have known the killer from the first look. Sorry La Guera, you were right!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010