Votes: 1 1.6%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D-

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
~That neon martini glass sign thing stuck out to me for some reason...
It stuck out to me too - I guess they focused on that picture a bit longer so we'd see and remember it.

That scene and the subsequent scene with Hawkes make me wonder if Flack isn't heading for a fall next season. He grew exasperated--almost plaintive--and momentarily defensive when Hawkes opined bitterly that no one should have to live in fear. "I'm out there every day, tryin' to make it so they don't have to." It was a bizarrely fragile statement from the normally staid Flack, and it makes me think he might be heading for a crisis of faith next season.
I worry that they might be foreshadowing something to do with his sister (clunky foreshadowing if so, but foreshadowing nonetheless). If he's a cop and can't protect his sister next season, that will definitely get to him. As much as he stands by the badge, it would be hard to believe in the system - and yourself - if you couldn't keep your own sister safe.

I'm not sure if that kind of a storyline would be a good thing or a bad thing. It would definitely provide excellent material for Eddie and Kathleen Munroe, but...it would be sad. *is a wuss*

There was no mention of Lindsay. My mind drifted a bit and I let myself pretend that she was completely gone from the show. It was a happy moment.
*sigh* You and me both.

I guess next week is a repeat, or maybe they just didn't show the promo.
Next week is a repeat of 5.05 "The Cost of Living" - 5.21 "The Past, Present and Murder" airs 4/22. (The last episode aired and the next one on the CBS schedule are always in the sidebar over on the right, underneath the CSI Files news links. :))

The bike-polo kid (Can't remember his name) looked really familiar. I spent the entire episode trying to think of where I knew him, and then realized he was in a fifth season Miami episode. :)
I was very proud of myself.
Oh yeah, these shows use a lot of the same guest stars - sometimes even the same guest-star on the same show (albeit several years between appearances). Looking at their IMDb pages, a lot of them have been on a variety of different TV shows - which is a bit frustrating when you're sitting there like, 'Gah, where have I seen you before?!' :lol:

I doesn"t like this episode
Because, it's like the last is so confuse...
I apprecied Stella's story line
but I never apprecied the all star story..
Likes a different murder for different episodes, its like for me so easy
A take a c-
I'll hope the next one is so cute.

I quite liked this episode, but it was a little slow in parts. I did enjoy the gratuitous Flack/Angell scene at the beginning. :) I thought it was a good episode for Flack, and also Hawkes. It was nice to see Hawkes getting some good screen time. Also interesting to get such continuity, mentioning of Sam and Kara, incredible! :lol: Seeing the old crime scenes was fun too.

Flack going to Adam's apartment? In my fangirl world I'm hoping they were playing Guitar Hero together and geeking out. But actually I can't imagine why Flack would have been there, and if he was, why wasn't Hawkes? :lol: I'd love to see a scene of all the boys together watching a game on the tv and eating pizza... Kinda like the scene in the hospital with Sid, only all of them, happy, and just hanging out. :devil:

I worry that they might be foreshadowing something to do with his sister (clunky foreshadowing if so, but foreshadowing nonetheless). If he's a cop and can't protect his sister next season, that will definitely get to him. As much as he stands by the badge, it would be hard to believe in the system - and yourself - if you couldn't keep your own sister safe.

I'm not sure if that kind of a storyline would be a good thing or a bad thing. It would definitely provide excellent material for Eddie and Kathleen Munroe, but...it would be sad. *is a wuss*

Yeah, I had the same thought. It probably would make a fantastic storyline for Flack, but I don't want anything bad to happen to Sam. :(

I rated this episode a B+. I wasn't to convinced that Stella would be able to remember the voice of a student she had in one class she taught. Even if the class was not that long ago it still seemed a bit far fetched. That being said I loved Hawks; his display of sympathy for Odessa was really sweet and I hope that Mac's response to the advice Hawks offered her is addressed in the next episode.

The opening scene with Flack:drool: God I love him.

I gave this one a C+ -- seemed like just an average filler type of episode and not one likely to get much repeat viewing from me.

The plus is for a couple of things....

The Flack/Angell scene was actually pretty well done. It could've ended up being tacky but the actors did a good job making it seem natural and believable. And I think they do have chemistry.

I also appreciated what they were trying to do with Hawkes. I've been thinking that the writers needed to do something that would elevate his presence in the team, and it was nice to see him play a larger role in resolving a case. That said, I found myself wondering whether it was realistic for Hawkes (who's not a detective as far as I know and doesn't carry a gun) to be involved in so much of this case, like accompanying Mac to make the arrest. I know it was necessary for purposes of the ending, but I couldn't shake the feeling that Flack or Danny were supposed to be with Mac in those scenes.

And I don't think Mac was too happy about Sheldon's "advice" to Odessa at the end -- he gave Sheldon one of those stern, no-nonsense looks twice. I gotta say I'm probably more cold-hearted than even Mac in this particular case because I didn't feel much sympathy for her. It would've been perhaps a bit more understandable if the stalker had confronted her and she had shot him while emotionally distraught...but, as someone else mentioned, planning out a murder the way she did (including attending a forensics lecture) is a pretty cold, calculating thing to do, and it doesn't quite track with the image of a victim who has been driven to the end of her emotional rope.

That brings me to my final comment, which I'm not really sure I can express clearly. In certain episodes, especially single cases like this one, the stage is starting to seem "crowded" for lack of a better word. Now that the main cast is larger, it seems like they have to try to include most of them in almost every episode, even if the case really doesn't need it. The result seems to be that we end up with a lot of extra, sometimes even redundant stuff -- e.g., people in scenes without much to do and/or extraneous dialogue -- which just slows the pace and gives the episode a cluttered feel. I don't really know how to explain it any better, and maybe this is just an issue for me alone.

Anyway, I'm just ready to move away from the filler episodes and reruns and get to the last episodes of the season, where hopefully some of the ongoing arcs will finally wrap up.

Sarah, you may be right. I just haven't noticed it before.

Curiosity, great points and I understand exactly what you are talking about. The scenes do appear cluttered at times trying to give everyone something to do.

I agree with your concerns about Hawkes being involved in the police side of the episodes. I questioned why he carrys a badge in my first entry on this thread. His role seems to blur the lines between ME, CSI Tech, and police officer and I wish they would define exactly what his boundries are, simply for my peace of mind if for no other reason. :)

Overall I liked the episode. But it's not one of my favourites.

I thought the scene with Flack and Angell was really cute.
Personally I was a little sad that they didn't even mention Lindsay and that Danny wasn't in it very much.

I am really happy that there was a lot of Sheldon though. He needs screen time too

I felt for the victim in this episode. Maybe it was planned out but as someone who studies and works in the criminal justice system, I've seen first hand how weak most stalking, child abuse laws etc really are. Many stalkers can do exactly what Baxter did and worse and still not be locked up for them. Same with child abuse laws. By the time authorties are able to take action, the victim of the stalker/ abuse is either maimed or dead. Despite clear warnings it would happen, the law was powerless to do anything. I see the killer in this episode as a victim. She may have planned it out but unlike Mac,I can see what Sheldon saw, a woman who did everything she could to get away from the stalker. Fleeing to another city, changing her name etc and he still found her. As for not coming foward, my theory is the same with many victims of abusers/stalkers who finally snap. The police and the law didn't do anything to help them when they needed it, why should they trust them now?

I can't say I missed Lindsay or Danny one bit. They have been monopolizing the storyline all season -- with poor results in my book -- at the expense of other characters like Hawkes and Flack. Time to let Hill Harper shine, finally!

Loved the F/A scene - can we have more, please??? :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

I was freaked out by what she did to try to confuse the CSI's. That is just freaky, freaky, FREAKY! :wtf:

Loved the acting from Hill and Eddie - especially where they were concerned about what happened to the 2 women. They BOTH nailed it well! Congrats, guys! ;)

There wasn't enough Sid. I NEED more Sid. AND more Adam! Adam! Sid! :scream:

As for Stella remembering the voice...it's really not that unbelievable that she could remember a voice. Some people remember faces, some remember names, and some remember voices. I'm one of those whoe remembers voices more than anything else. I can't explain why or how, just that I do!

There was no mention of the incubator or the pea in the pod. Wow, it IS possible to not hear about Montana, or the dead beaver or whatever it was! :guffaw: I'm just glad we didn't get a whole ep of Danny walking around asking everyone what they thought of girls names!

I loved what Hawkes did at the end. That look on Mac's face was a mixed one. He looked a little mad, and a little like he was in agreement with Hawkes. Remember, when the group was gathered in the conference room, Mac said "We need to stop thinking of Baxter as a vic and think of him as a perp." That makes me think Mac almost thinks Dayna/Odessa did the right thing (sorta). What a bad boy he is - Stella must be rubbing off on him (does that comment make anyone else have dirty thoughts?!) :drool:

No new ep next week. This was what, #20 this season? Wow, we should get several weeks of new CSI:NY in a row to finish the season. I can't wait! The spoilers are making me anxious for the end. I just want to see how the season pans out. I think things are starting to get better. I just don't want a whole lot more baby talk. Not for entire eps. It IS possible for people to go to work without mentioning their kids ALL THE TIME. Please, TPTB, don't make us suffer by telling stories about the kid pooping or getting a bath, or taking a bottle. We just don't need it.

I can remember voices too, but not when I've only heard them once. :lol: Wasn't her class a one day lecture? If it was more than one day then I guess I could see it.

I'm just glad we didn't get a whole ep of Danny walking around asking everyone what they thought of girls names!

No, they're probably saving that for the next episode. :lol: I like D/L, but that even annoyed me. :lol: It was cute the first couple of times, but then just got old after that. :lol:

Did anyone else get the impression that when Dayna told Mac he doesn't understand, that was foreshadowing of the whole Ella thing and what might be coming with that storyline? (Though I haven't heard anything from spoilers about her).

Last edited:
Good episode. My favorite part? The one that made my Don/Adam muses fly with happiness. :D

I'm surprised that the police didn't do anything about that stalker. Can they really do nothing against stalkers except restraining orders? That's shocking. :O

I felt really bad for Odessa (or whatever her name is), and I really felt like hugging Sheldon. Only, I wonder... I bet he'd get in trouble for saying something like that to her. Then again, the CSIs seem to get away with a lot. :rolleyes:

Did anyone else get the impression that when Dayna told Mac he doesn't understand, that was foreshadowing of the whole Ella thing and what might be coming with that storyline? (Though I haven't heard anything from spoilers about her).

You know, I had actually forgotten about that... Maybe it could be foreshadowing...

Is she due to come up in another episode this season, or is she too going to be dropped into the Black Hole Of Continuity?

You know, I had actually forgotten about that... Maybe it could be foreshadowing...

Is she due to come up in another episode this season, or is she too going to be dropped into the Black Hole Of Continuity?
I think Ella's already appeared in three episodes this season, so if they are following the apparent "three episodes" rule that seems to apply to some guest stars, she would be done for this season.

I agree with your concerns about Hawkes being involved in the police side of the episodes. I questioned why he carrys a badge in my first entry on this thread. His role seems to blur the lines between ME, CSI Tech, and police officer and I wish they would define exactly what his boundries are, simply for my peace of mind if for no other reason.
Yes, to some degree, the very premise of the series stretches credulity because the CSI's are the ones calling the shots for the cases they work and it doesn't seem like things would work that way in the real world.

Even within the CSI-centric world they've created, however, the roles do seem to be blurring. Take Hawkes, for example, if he's supposed to be the prodigy, you'd think he'd be a resource for all kinds of useful and sometimes obscure information. But Mac, Lindsay, and even Stella at times are all prone to rattle off facts, figures, and random bits of info that not even the best-educated among us likely would know, so Sheldon's intelligence doesn't seem to stand out. And with Danny's seniority, I'd think there would sometimes be more of a distinction made between the types of things he does and what falls to Hawkes, Lindsay, and Adam.

To give everyone adequate screen time while still meeting the needs of the case, though, I suppose they can't really make those types of distinctions. Guess it shouldn't be a big deal but to some degree, they're starting to look like generic CSIs who don't have any specific or unique roles.

As far as the police vs. civilian issue, I thought Mac, Stella, Flack, and Danny all went through the police academy and are full-fledged police officers and Mac, Stella, and Danny are CSI's as well (can't recall if Danny also is a detective). Hawkes and Sid have MD backgrounds, and I guess Lindsay and Adam would be civilians. However, I've always been a bit confused about whether Hawkes and Lindsay have special police authorities and privileges (badge, gun, etc.) that go along with their CSI status.

I felt for the victim in this episode. Maybe it was planned out but as someone who studies and works in the criminal justice system, I've seen first hand how weak most stalking, child abuse laws etc really are.
I think the writers did a good job showing some of the flaws and weaknesses in the system re: stalking, and it was enlightening for me in that respect.

I see the killer in this episode as a victim.
I agree Odessa was a victim, but I think they could've made her more sympathetic by having her show a bit of remorse and/or relief when Mac and Sheldon caught up to her.

Seems like it would take a significant shift in mindset to deliberately set out to murder someone in such a meticulous way (while going to great pains to evade suspicion) and then move on with one's life as if nothing happened and no consequences should be meted out. I think that's the part that made her seem callous and calculating. But that's probably somewhat beyond what the writers intended to convey with this particular scenario.

Last edited:
Back