Grade 'Prey'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 8, 2009.

?

How would you grade Prey?

1. A+

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. A

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. A-

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  4. B+

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. B

8 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

init i have never heard them mention another university. and i wouldnt go there with the amount of crime connected lol :lol:
    anyway i think reed has finished college he is 23 might be wrong though

2. jwells2472

jwells2472 Witness

The Flack/Angell scene made me all pouty...
    I don't want Angell to go!:scream::(

Over all I think it was pretty good.
    Kathryn McFee (I'm sure I misspelled that) looked and sounded great

I'm a Stella lover but the "Everything is connected to me" thing was kind of drama queenish but the TPTB actually followed it up well and it made sense.

Last scene with Hawkes and Mac was best part for me...can't get a read on Macs reaction to Hawkes in effect giving her (Kathryn) the key to the jail cell.
    Not sure if he was shocked, mad or just resigned to the fact that he said it and there's not that much that can be done about it.

Maybe I was too engrossed in Flack on a bed:devil:
    but where the heck was Syd the whole episode?? Did i miss it?

3. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Overall a good episode. Katherine McPhee as guest star,eh, okay. As for the jumper in RI, by the time they brought her back into the picture, I had forgotten all about her.

Sheldon: Excellent with only one small criticism. I would have liked to see more tension, a little inner conflict in Shelden before he told Mac he recognized the Neon Martini sign in the flyer from the picture taken from the vic's apartment.

Poor Flack: he got the short end of the docorating budget didn't he? I expected more style and order from him, based on the past 5 seasons of suits and ties, but I swear, Danny's place is more of a home than Don's is.

Don and Jess just don't smack of an emotional relationship for me, just a friendly hookup for fun and games. And speaking of fun and games, if the handcuffs had been dangling from the headboard of the bed, our imaginations could have wandered to any number of naughty, luscious places and events from the night spent together. As it was, all I could do was roll my eyes when Jess used the handcuffs on him. Flack's "dammit" when his phone wouldn't stop ringing was cute. We don't hear him cuss much.

Bless Adam's heart. He's back to being scared of Mac and blabbering. This guy is so messed up and so adorable.

Stella guest lectured at Chelsea University. WOW!!! Why didn't we know this before? Surely she would have mentioned it to Mac but he didn't act like he knew anything about it. So the writers add this in retrospect to support a current case and I'm supposed to swallow it and go on? Sorry, but this one stuck in my throat for a moment because that would be great character development for Stella. Missed opportunity guys!

Danny has a new tan watchband. Ever wonder why he wears his watch on his right arm even though he's right-handed? Don wears his on his right arm as well...but then he's a lefty. Something for the Danny/Flack shippers to contemplate ;)

Danny playing with his wedding ring...Lindsay is never far away.
    Danny suggesting flowers for the bike polo guy's mad girlfriend. Voice of experience maybe?

Don's reference to Adam's place: Don's new friend now that Danny is married with kid-on-the-way.

Sheldon's badge. Sheldon is not a sworn-in policeman (from Blue Flu day episode) yet in this episode he carries a badge. I'm confused...do they deputize him every time he goes out the door? He is either a civilian working in the police department or a policeman. Make up your mind, please.

Getting the mail from Odessa Shaw's mailbox...warrant please?

Purple must be a friendly color to film because everywhere I looked someone was wearing it.

Still in the purple theme...watch Stella. All in one day...purple eyes...no purple eyes...purple on one eye but not the other...purple sweater under a coat in the middle of a day with a black top...with purple eyes...then without...

I think that's enough.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. missmeghan

missmeghan Victim

Maybe Sheldon borrowed the badge from the many cop relatives of Danny? I guess I'm the only one who thought the F/A scene was cheesy? OK, I can live in the minority, it's cool!

5. CSI Cupcake

No, missmeghan, you are not the only one. There's always room for an opinion. That's what makes these boards hop sometimes.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, that's true about Kat, but Ashley Simpson started out as an actress and then ventured into singing I believe. She was on 7th heaven as Simon's girlfriend for a fairly lengthy time. I thought she was okay on there, but oddly enough she just doesn't do the bad girl thing justice. Considering some of the things she's done in real life, that's kind of weird. She just wasn't a convincing villian to me. :shrugs:

OMG! Thank you so much for saying this! I kept thinking that guy looked familiar, but couldn't figure it out. :lol:

About them taking Odessa's mail, I'm not sure 100%, but I would think they wouldn't need a warrant if she'd already moved out of the place and left no forwarding mail address. The apartment owner would have to take the mail out to clear the box for the next tennant to use anyway...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  7. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

All in all, I actually enjoyed this episode more than I have enjoyed other eps this season. The storyline was kind of intriguing, in the fact that it focus more on the emotional aspects of the crime, rather than the crime it self. Plus, I loved the continuity in it-from references past crimes for Stella's lectures, mentioning Flack's sister, and Hawkes bringing up Kara. I hate that it was all reduced to one episode, but I really hope they keep that up-it lets me connect with the show a helluva lot better if they acknowledge that things that happened last season or even last week still matter.

I loved the little reference to Adam's apartment when Flack and Hawkes are in Marshall's apartment. :lol: It feels like to me Flack and Adam have a good rapport going on, and (IMO of course) I think Adam's helping Flack out by telling him about Sam's involvement with the case earlier in the season gave them more of a connection, enough for a friendship to come about. It would be nice to see them interacting more in the show though!

My favorite part has to be the ending though-when Hawkes significantly tells her that if she doesn't confess they can't convict her. To me Mac's look was one of anger at him, but by the time he realized exactly where Hawkes was going he couldn't stop him in time for Dayna not to hear where he was going with it. I'm interested to see if Hawkes advice to her pays off, and what Mac's reaction to it would be in later eps.

A :)

8. CSI Cupcake

Yeah, I'm not sure about the mail either, but the apartment was still in her name and apparently the rent was still paid so that's why I was thinking they would need a warrant.

I had forgotten that Ashley Simpson-Wentz was on Seventh Heaven. I thought she was just another star-guest cameo thingy.

9. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It annoys me when they make little mistakes too - they have technical advisors and former cops on their staff, so I don't know why there would be mistakes like that. Taking creative license to make a story work is one thing (although it's annoying when they don't just call it taking creative license, but I digress), but saying something wrong that doesn't need to be wrong bugs me.

It seemed pretty accurate to what I would imagine - I'd picture Flack's place to be pretty sparse, especially since he lives alone and doesn't spend much time at home. He probably spends all of his extra money on suits since he's always getting rough and tumble in them, and people are always messing them up. :p

By the way, Flack's reluctance to ignore his phone - even with a hot woman straddling him - made me think, 'That man's job is his life'. It's not necessarily a criticism, just an observation. While other characters might tell a little white lie ('I was in the shower', 'my battery died', etc) to buy themselves a bit of extra time, Flack couldn't ignore the call of the job. It's both a good and a bad thing IMO. Kind of like the badge is what he loves, and anything (and anybody) else has to take a back seat to it. *hugs him*

'Missed opportunity' describes a lot of things on NY, doesn't it? *sigh*

I haven't worn a watch in a long time, but I used to wear it on my right wrist even though I'm right-handed. I don't know why I did it to start with, but then it became a habit. It causes my watches to wear out faster, especially when I was in school and did a lot of writing (with the band rubbing against the table/desk/etc), but it feels strange to wear it on my left arm (especially if I keep looking at my right wrist to read the time :lol:). [/random]

I wouldn't want to be Adam if Danny gets jealous that it's not all about him anymore. :p

I can see how it might seem cheesy - it was a pretty typical scene (the hot girl in the guy's shirt, they're getting a little romantic - whoops, the phone rings! How many times have we seen a scene like that on TV? Plenty, I'm sure. And the handcuff thing wasn't terribly unique either). I guess it depends on what flavor of cheese we each like. :lol: I think they're both hot, and they're hot together, so if it was cheesy, I (personally) found it cheesy in a pleasant way. :p I definitely see where you're coming from, though. :)

10. MickieParade26

MickieParade26 Victim

Typing as i watch *Thank God for DVR :lol:*

~6 Months Ago...Providence, Rhode Island. Ah i feel speshal! :D
    ~That's really creepy looking.
    ~Well hello Flack :)
    ~Well hello Angell :) Oh boy!
    ~"Coffee's gonna get cold" "Shut up" Hee. I love them. Though I'm not feeling much love for that song.
    ~"We're about to prove them wrong" *Cue The Who* Haha now i can pretty much call when the opening credits will start.
    ~Why hello Doctor Hawkes :D
    ~Oh Flack :lol:
    ~ADAM! *flyingtacklepounce*
    ~Yak hair, huh?
    ~Danny! Looking good as usual.
    ~Haha rejection call line. Love Danny's laugh.
    ~Wow that looks like a safe sport :rolleyes:
    ~Haha Danny, I wouldn't be giving relationship advice if i were you. Just sayin'.
    ~Babbling Adam is very cute, but getting just a bit old. I love his expressions there though :lol: And his eyes look very pretty.
    ~Stella's looking suspicious..."It's me." ZOMG!*commercial*
    ~Oh my gosh Blast from the Past much?! That's fun. :D Ahh Danny's glasses! Bring them baaack!
    ~Angell's on fire tonight. :lol:
    ~I think watching this show could help me get away with murder...
    ~Flackie :D Adam's place, huh? They should show more of them together on screen. *pokes TPTB*
    ~That neon martini glass sign thing stuck out to me for some reason...
    ~Awww :( *Huggles*
    ~Sheesh they're saying Rhode Island alot. Glad we're getting more recognition :)
    ~Wow continuity, seems to be lotsa that tonight suprisingly. I would like to know what's going on with Sam.
    ~Where's Angell? Grrr.
    ~Well, Flack and Danny are in the same room...Aaand that's it :|
    ~Wow Stella must have super hearing. She can't remember faces but she can remember voices? :rolleyes:
    ~Yikes, that's harsh.
    ~Ha i knew that martini glass stuck out for a reason.
    ~Boring ending...

Overall it was an okay episode character-wise.Case was a bit boring though. I gave it an A-.

11. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I loved that they used Rhode Island. Im from Rhode Island and so is most of my family is too, but now I live in New Mexico!!

12. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Oh, Sheldon Hawkes, I love you. I adored his sneaky conviction-dodging advice to Odessa in the end, more so because it piqued Mac. I'm not surprised that he was sympathetic to her plight. As the earlier scene with Flack indicates, he clearly equates the violation of Odessa's privacy and personal safety with his ex-girlfriend Kara's very physical violation. "She was raped, and she lost a piece of herself, and then I lost her." It's angry and regretful and obviously more than Flack was expecting from the normally reserved Hawkes. Flack was clearly at a loss on how to respond, but in the end his quiet, "And I'm very sorry about that, Sheldon" was the best he could've done.

His exchange with Hawkes closely mirrors the conversation he had with Philip, the first stalking victim's brother. Philip, too, is concerned with stalking's effect on his sister and openly contemptuous of the faulty system that makes such terrible invasions of privacy and violations of the emotional self possible, and Flack, as a representative of that flawed system, bears the brunt of his bitterness. Flack obviously understood the man's point of view, and he acquitted himself with admirable grace. I don't think Flack liked his job when he had to question Philip about his sister's stalker; he seemed pained, almost embarrassed, as though his questioning was yet another indignity heaped upon a grieving brother. His second offer of condolences read very much like an apology. He certainly didn't have to make it. After their previous tense exchange, there was no guarantee that Philip would receive it well. But Philip relaxes once Flack reveals he has a sister as well, and advises Flack never to take it for granted.

As an aside, I can't help but think that if Mac had been the one to question Philip, he wouldn't have been nearly as compassionate and tactful as Flack and would have ended up with his jambalayas as a necktie.

That scene and the subsequent scene with Hawkes make me wonder if Flack isn't heading for a fall next season. He grew exasperated--almost plaintive--and momentarily defensive when Hawkes opined bitterly that no one should have to live in fear. "I'm out there every day, tryin' to make it so they don't have to." It was a bizarrely fragile statement from the normally staid Flack, and it makes me think he might be heading for a crisis of faith next season.

Speaking of Flack, the F/A scene was very well-played and quite sweet. I was worried for a moment that it might tip into the tawdry, but a phone call saved the day. And I don't blame Angell for being disappointed. I would be, too. They looked and behaved as any happy couple should. I do wonder, however, why Flack hasn't figured out how Angell takes her coffee by now. They've been on numerous coffee dates. Or is "coffee" a word which here means "hot monkey sex in the squad car in ten minutes? I don't want to see much more of this, lest it become cloying, but this was pitch-perfect. It's amazing what chemistry can do.

Dear Mac,

Despite your protestations to Odessa that you understand what she endured, you don't. You're as empathetic and warm as the handrail in the handicapped stall. I hope Hawkes slips a file into Odessa's bologna sandwich in holding.

A highly-entertaining episode with a sympathetic killer.

13. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I think what hawks said at the end was a very nice touch. I think it shows that he what his girlfriend went through really changed him. I also think is showed a different side of him which I loved:)

14. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Really enjoyed this one, had a good feel about it.

F/A was wierd at first then I just went with the better thoughts about wishing i was Angell instead. Tho I loved how she had control it seems to be a theme with the woman of the show and there men.

Continuity was strange it was odd to see it happen didn't expect it and was like ooh they're remembering stuff and they were strange cases aswell.

The bike polo I was amused over because only week or so ago I saw a Tv spot on it on teh BBC news one Saturday morning so was like oooh i've seen it somewhere before but it was on UK tv. Does look dangerous though not a sport i'd like to try, end up pretty battered.

For once aswell the musical interlude actually fitted quite well, tad to long for me but it didn't feel like a major plug and for someone who didn't know and still doesn't really know the guest start it worked.

Overall was really good.

15. Princess_Laurie

Princess_Laurie Witness

I really liked this episode. The F/A-ness at the beginning was good, the image of Flack being handcuffed to a bed is now the wallpaper on my phone. Although...
    The scene made me a little upset, because I'm just starting to come out of denial about them killing Angell. :(

Hawkes was fantastic throughout the episode. I especially loved him at the end, with the 'They can't go to trial without a confession', or whatever he said. You are too much, Sheldon. :)

Adam was adorable, as always. :thumbsup:

Mac seemed a bit robotic in this one. I'm not sure what it was, but he looked a little distant. I liked Stellas class, even though I didn't like whole 'I'm the connection' thing.

There was no mention of Lindsay. My mind drifted a bit and I let myself pretend that she was completely gone from the show. It was a happy moment.

I guess next week is a repeat, or maybe they just didn't show the promo.

The bike-polo kid (Can't remember his name) looked really familiar. I spent the entire episode trying to think of where I knew him, and then realized he was in a fifth season Miami episode. :)
    I was very proud of myself.