Grade 'Obsession'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 17, 2007.

1. detdonflackjr

detdonflackjr Rookie

I liked the episode a lot. Flack was hilarious. "I locked em up for fun" lmao

Love when Stella Flack and Mac work together :) They had a great case

2. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

Yeah, I picked up on that too. That scene in the hospital reminded me of All Access, with the rope burns on the wrists & the "attempted" rape & such. You could see Stella's pain in the hospital. Only this time it was a set up like in Open & Shut. I feel for Stella because she's think she has come close to finding a victim who relates to her past situation but nope, those women are just liars with some freaky fetishes.

3. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

CSI:NY was so insipid that I read a book and only looked up at the sound of Flack's voice. I'm tired of the increasingly ridiculous motives assigned to the villains on the show. The cart case was solid and well-handled, but the kidnapping was an insulting joke and a shameless grab for shock value. I can buy that Rich Wifey got off on dangerous situations, and I can buy that Ex-Hubby got pissed at seeing her donking her new beau. What I cannot buy was Wifey's sudden declaration of love for her ex and his subsequent assertion to Stella that the comission of murder had been worth it because "Now I know she loves me." Jesus Christ. It wasn't edgy or cool; in fact, revealing outwardly "normal" human beings to be ravening psychos is becoming an overplayed cliche on CBS shows. Goddammit.

The shopping cart case was much better in that the perpetrator had a motive with which the audience could sympathize. When one is homeless, a shopping cart is sometimes all they have, and to see their lone possession used and destroyed in a puerile race-and then to have their rage mocked by a clueless, spoiled, arrogant yuppie-would incite anyone to blind rage. Kudos to Danny for having a flicker of disgusted empathy as he cuffed the man.

I do wonder why Danny and Hawkes have suddenly become bestest buds. Is Hawkes doing something medical for Louie on the side? It might explain why Danny knows his routine and financial situation so well. Is the burgeoning friendship a signal that his friendship with Flack has ruptured irrevocably since the bombing? I realize that the Flack-Danny friendship has been inflated by fanon, but it was canonical, and it has evaporated. Poof.

I'm sure A.J. Buckley is a lovely man, and I appreciate the zing and humor of Adam Ross, but so help me, if they bring him out into the field, I'm going to scream and give serious consideration to finding another show. Just because a tech inspires a strong reaction within the fanbase, that doesn't mean it would behoove the show to slam them into a bigger role.

And how cute was Flack with those kids who came to confess that their football had killed someone?

Mac: Who found the body?

Flack: Buncha kids came running into the 35th to say they'd killed someone with their football. I locked 'em up just for fun.

I love you, Flack. Really.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Indeed. Though I seriously expected to log on this morning and find this post from you: Danny lives with his mother! That explains so much!!! :lol: I can't believe you let that one slide. :lol:

Danny calling Adam 'cupcake' was cute, and inviting Hawkes over not to his house but his mother's! for dinner was hilarious, but he needs to stop turning down hot women who ask him out. He's either gay or blind, because everyone who has ever hit on him is way hotter and way nicer than Lindsay. It's laughable.

Flack had some great lines, too.

But this was a pretty predictable and by the book episode. I wasn't surprised in any way by either case, and that's not a good thing. I gave the episode a C+--very, very average. I also think they missed a great opportunity with Stella--why wasn't her character either taken in by Elizabeth or skeptical of her? Why was it all about Mac noticing the holes in Elizabeth's story?

How has the Danny/Flack friendship been "inflated by fanon"? The idea of a romance might be fanon, but the friendship has been an ongoing thing since Blink (BST, On the Job, Trapped, Necrophilia Americana, RSRD, etc.). As recently as Murder Sings the Blues, we saw Flack calling Danny by a nickname. You can argue Danny's a shitty friend for his behavior in CotP, but calling the friendship "fanon" is absurd.

As for Danny and Hawkes, I think it's cute, if a little one-sided. Danny always seems to be chatting to Hawkes about his personal life, but Hawkes is much more reserved. However, we did see him open up to Danny in Mrs. Azreal, so he must at least feel somewhat close to Danny. They're kind of an odd couple--the refined, sophisticated doctor and the loquacious, excitable CSI.

He was in like two scenes in this episode, wasn't he? I'd hardly call that a bigger role, but I don't ever think it's unwise to showcase a popular character.

That was hilarious. My favorite line of the episode!

5. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

I didn't like this one at all. The best part was Danny calling Adam Cupcake.

6. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

I believe she said the friendship was "inflated" by fanon (ie, the fanfic writers put in lots more friendship moments between Danny and Flack in their fics than what we see onscreen), not that the friendship doesn't exist. She also said the friendship IS canon, but that it's not been evident lately--to which I agree. The Danny-Flack friendship was one of the best aspects of the show in S1. I feel like S1 has been largely swept under the carpet, with the exception of Aiden's firing, Tanglewood, and the occasional mention of Mac's late wife. Perhaps they want viewers to remember only as far back as Lindsay joining the crew? There were some lovely Danny-Flack frienship scenes sprinkled throughout S2, but they seemed to be mostly earlier rather than later in the season, and now there are hardly any such scenes.

Personally, I think Flack was a more integral part of the team in S1 than he is now, and it's a shame he hasn't been better developed. That said, it is nice to see Hawkes included more and better developed (finally). It's great to see him viewed as a friend and not just a co-worker.

Someone upthread asked about Danny's mother...he mentioned her in the episode where Louie was so badly beaten up (referred to her as "Mommy", although we didn't see either of their parents). I don't think he lives with them, but I'm guessing that since Louie was hurt (or died?), Danny's spending more time with his parents, like having a weekly family dinner.

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Well, if you look at it that way, then every relationship between any of the characters has been "inflated by fanon." I agree that there's less there between the two, but then you could say the same about Mac and Stella. Season one established those relationships, and maybe the writers see less of a need to focus on them now that they're already established. That's not something I agree with--I love the moments between Danny and Flack and think they're their friendship is deeper than any other relationship on the show--but that could be the angle they're looking at it from. I'd love some more scenes for them this season.

I think Flack's division from the team this season has been purposeful. He's been at odds with Mac twice this season, and I don't think that's coincidence. It seems there's been a real effort made to show that Flack is separate from the CSIs, and that his interests as a detective sometimes clash with theirs as CSIs.

I also disagree that Flack isn't well-developed. There's a lot to the character if you dig deeper and think about why he reacts the way he does to certain situations.

The living with his mom comment was a joke, but I do think that Danny is a bona fide mama's boy. He joked about her dressing him in the first ep of season two, he called her 'Mommy' in Louie's hospital room and now he's talking about taking Hawkes home for some of her cooking. :lol:

I'd love to know more about Danny's relationship with his father.

8. FlackAttack

FlackAttack Prime Suspect

Clearly the meh-ness of last night's ep has been expounded on so I'll try to be short. The one thing that made no sense to me is if the Idiot Run participants knew the route well enough to sabotage each other, shouldn't they have known where all the grates were and been careful (esp. when running in heels)??

Yes, CSI:Q must die. Since a winner is chosen randomly there's really no need to race and try to answer first, the least they could do is put the choices at the end.

Flack rocks as usual, but as mentioned earlier it would've been really fun if he had taken the hotdog from the ex-con and eaten it. :lol:

9. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

It's long, and cross-posted on my LJ, but here we go:

I thought the football playing children were a great way to start the episode, but I thought it took them quite a long while to actually hike the ball. Still, when the one kid announced to his friend that he thought he'd killed someone, I laughed out loud. And the guy in the shopping cart was pretty comical, too.

Have I mentioned I love Sheldon? He picks the oddest moments to be goofy, and then while everyone else is looking at each other like, "What the hell?!" he gets serious and asks the on-topic questions. It's amazing. I was sad that the intro was the only place we saw Det. Angell. I was hoping for more of her. Still, I did like her ( very brief ) exchange with Danny: "You wanna go shopping?" & his reply of, "Race you to the finish line," were very fun and flirty. Their chemistry seems so much more natural than the chemistry between Danny and Lindsay. But I could be biased here, too, and what I was really hoping for was a moment between Hawkes and Angell...but I suppose I'll just keep waiting.

Was it just me, or was Adam FAR more mellow and snarky in this epsiode than he's been at any other point this season? AND I LOVED IT. For one, I loved Danny calling him out ( "Quit shivering like a girl, Adam!" ), and I like how he shot back the line about being from Phoenix. I can empathize with you there, Adam! I guess our boy isn't from Queens after all -- perhaps he just lives there now. At any rate, I was seriously jazzed to see him outside of the labs and in the feild again...does anyone else smell a jump from tech to full-fledged CSI in the cards for our tech? Boy I do -- because having him photograph the prints, ect., isn't really a tech's job. I hope they keep throwing Adam out and using AJ to his full potential, and I really like how calm and ( ohmigod ) sexy he was -- particularly back at the lab, sans labcoat, explaining to Mac and Stella that there wasn't a second kidnapper, just a previous break in.

Mac and Stella had some nice moments, more silent and physical than out loud. I really liked the way that Mac kept touching bases and not hovering over her work. I've said it before: I love the level of absolute trust between this pair, and I hope that at some point, Stella confronts Mac about his troubles with Peyton. It seems to me that these two are too close for him to feel uncomfortable going to Stella -- she was the one encouraging him to have a life back in seasons 1 & 2. Besides, it would be interesting to see how Stella handles it, I think.

I like that Danny always interviews the ladies in the skanky outfits, don't you? But I called the bum right away, and my friend said that our "kidnapped" lady was gonna be a little freaky, too. But basically, after the scene where Mac interviews the so-called kidnapped victim and then concludes with Stella that she's lying, the show ( for me ) really slowed down. Not that I lost interest, it just seemed to change pace. The inevitable wind-down, if you will. However, I did truly love that their original theories were thrown out of the window. I like when Mac and Stella theorize and then are forced to re-think those theories as more evidence is uncovered.

Among my favorite scenes was the one where Hammerback shows Hawkes and Danny that the cause of death was a blow to the head from a woman's right foot. I liked Hammerback's physical comedy -- some of his shining moments were just in his expressions as he reacted to Hawkes and Danny in that scene. I love him in autopsy, but I love him more when he's kidding with the guys. Another truly amazing scene was when Flack and Stella shook down the parolee, and then Flack arrested him anyway. The look on Stella's face as she slides on her sunglasses and follows Flack and the collared suspect is priceless. It's obvious that she enjoys Flack's snarky, spiteful little counters as much as we, the audience, do. And I just love when Flack snaps cuffs on people. He could bring those cuffs my way...I certainly wouldn't complain.

Another cute moment was Adam saying that the victim and a horse were in the trunk of the car, and the way he laughed when Mac pointed out the car wasn't that big. I like the way they sometimes sneak in the technical stuff, like how Adam analyzed the manure to get the meds that the horse was on, and how the could zero in on the stables from the car's milage.

Over all, this was one of the better episodes of the season, and despite a predictable wind-down, it had cute moments. Perhaps a little pun-heavy, but I like when the characters laugh with us, and we still haven't reached Horatio's level of absurdity when it comes to cheesy puns. I was glad for a lack of serious drama in this episode -- no Danny getting into trouble, no Lindsay breaking into tears or Internal Affairs dropping in. It was nice to a more lighthearted episode in leiu of everything else going on in the characters' lives, and it made this episode not only fun to watch, but more relatable for those of us who aren't affiliated with the mob, haven't been arrested, and certainly haven't survived any mass-murders.

...A couple of things I didn't originally mention were that I really like the friendship developing between Hawkes and Danny, although I miss Flack and Danny working together, too. Also, Flack locking those kids up for fun was awesome.

10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

It was OKAY, I haven't seen as many episodes as everyone else
    the cases were sort-of bizarre, the shopping cart race... oh well gotta have a crime scene somewhere

and I'm sorry I called the dead guy in the brownstone... come on... strawberries and Champagne??? who DIDN'T get that and when they found the duct tape and rope...

SEX is what I was thinking... not attemped rape ( and also not to make light of what happened to Stella) you could see the pain on her face as she watched the so called victim

but Mac did say he thought she was lying.. good for him!

I do like to see Mac and Stella working together they are good together...

Danny was adorable asking Sheldon to come have real mozzerella at his mom's house --how cute was that?

and the Lab GUY out in the field-- cute too :)

again, this was OKAY

11. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

It wasn't anything special..it was like season 2 and 3 of CSI LV (in my opinion)..

I really hate the standalone episodes...and yes I know this is a procedural show..

Everyone was trying to out-pun eachother! ack! I mean, Danny says something clever, then Angell has to respond to his pun with another pun? like WTF?

B-

12. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

Voted B

Didn't like the cases very much. The 'kidnap' one was way too predictable and in the 'shoppin carts' case I just felt sorry for that homeless guy and for his dog; what will happen to that poor animal now that his 'boss' is locked up.

Only good things were Angell being there, the fact that Stella got to interrogate and close the case on that woman who made up the whole abuse/kidnap story (Stella looked so hurt in the hospital) and Danny the dog whisperer.

13. Kridden

Kridden Victim

it could have been better but hey! at least we got one after 3 weeks haha.

14. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I never said it wasn't canonical; I said it was inflated. I get the impression that most fic-writing fans assume the relationship is an emotionally intimate one, and that I'm not sure I see. I don't doubt that they would go to the wall for each other, and I know that they socialize outside the job, but I don't see them getting together for beers and discussion of that one time at band camp...

As for Adam, if they want to showcase him in the lab, fine. But to make his appearance in the field a recurring event would be a mistake, IMHO.

15. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I agree with you, but at the same time I kind of disagree. If they show him in the field with the intent of making him a CSI, it would be a bad idea as far as I can see, for various reasons (namely that his character just isn't the type to be a CSI, and there are already enough CSIs on the team). However, we've only seen him 'in the field' twice, and both times were humorous and showed that he was distinctly out of his element. That's fun to see every once in a while. ;) So while I agree that he shouldn't pull a Greg, I still think seeing him at the scene from time to time can be interesting. :p