Grade 'Murder Sings the Blues'

It was ok,
I agree, they should hav more cases that don't involve the white middle class in Manhattan
I liked the B case better, Stella with the 'old maid' was priceless so was Flacks face...
he's HOT man :) but that woman didn't have blue eyes at all or even close, her skin was dark and so were her eyes
I wish they could have said a REASON why he liked them blonde with blue eyes.
grade B- but better than last weeks

I want to see some random person dead in a 500 square foot studio apartment who just works for a living and they have to find out what happened.

I have a friend who used to live in a 250 sq feet apartment in Manhattan. With a roommate. So 500 sq feet is like paradise.

I can't imagine any of the CSIs actually living in the city. I keep hoping Stella's apartment is in one of the boroughs, because that gigantic apartment with parking garage included in Manhattan? No way would she be able to afford that on a CSI salary (and she has a car, too, doesn't she? Who on earth would buy a car in New York?). My cousin lives with a friend and her son in a one bedroom shoe box in the Bronx, but because it's 5 minutes away from Manhattan they pay this batshit insane rent. The building doesn't even have an elevator and they're on the last floor. No doorman, no parking space, no utilities, nothing. Oh, and as soon as you walk into the building you're greeted by the soothing and pleasant sight of guys smoking weed in the staircase. It's crazy.

I think this show's idea of a poor person, though, is someone who lives uptown. And of course, they're white. From the Mid West, too, so we can get all of Lindsay's issues out in the open. I notice every time someone is 'struggling', said person always manages to snatch a fabulous job that allows her to live in these luxurious apartments among the rich people. Those maids tonight and that babysitter from Montana (among others). Whatever happened to working in McDonald's or a bodega? Do bodegas exist on CSI? Do the writers even know what they are?

I gave the episode a B -. I’ll probably end up watching it again tomorrow because my attention kept drifting in and out, so every time they would introduce a new piece of evidence, I was out of the loop.

I thought the ending with Peyton and Mac actually wasn’t all that cheesy. Unlike the ending between Danny and Lindsay, the shot wasn’t slowed down to make an enormous point about it. I thought it was rather cute and I didn’t feel like the giant ominous cloud of cheese-dom was hanging over my head. It didn’t feel awkward, but flowed rather nicely.

But I’ll admit the couple has actually grown on me. I’m always leery about mixing romance and CSI, but I like that P/M pop up a little here and there. The only thing that bothers me, is that Mac looks so damn uncomfortable. Half the time it looks like he’s ready to bolt whenever Peyton moves to touch him.

As for the scene between Hawkes and Mac – well, Mac will chew you out wherever he catches you. I think Danny had the luck of being reprimanded with a smaller/no audience (unless Mac called him into the office, so I might be mistaken). While I saw Mac’s point, I still thought it was a little callous to chew Hawkes out in front of Lindsay. I was glad to see him stand up to Mac though.

I agree about the serious lack of diversity in CSI: NY. I liked in S1, they would at least explore the different social and racial classes…but now it’s seems to be all about half-naked women and other rich, beautiful people.

Other than that, the episode was all right.

Funny you mention Mac and Peyton. I was going to mention how hesitant he always seems to be around her. I can't tell for sure if that's a function of the work relationship or Mac being too stiff to unravel even a little for a woman that he's seeing.

Anyway, I liked this episode. The scene between Mac and Hawkes was beautifully done - I was cringing. Mac was totally out of line to rail at Sheldon like that in front of the entire lab, and Sheldon just as wrong with his parting shot. Lindsay's "um, I'm just going to go... somewhere else" was pretty good too. You could almost see her wishing the floor would open up and swallow her.

Flack observing Stella work the crazy was simply priceless. You could see him thinking, "What the hell is she doing???" But he went along with it all the same and was plain old amazed at the results. Flack and Danny questioning the suspect was just plain bland though - looks like Danny is continuing to take his medication.

The conclusion to the A case, once again, seemed rushed. But what really interested me was the maid-swapping thing. I read an article about this not too long ago, about women who swap housekeeping duties with a single man in exchange for room and board. This sort of takes it to the next level though.

midnight the one thing I can agree with you about - well two things, actually - is the exploitation of the female in so many episodes and the demographics of the murders. Seriously, are you that hard up for cash that you would clean some rich guy's apartment in your lingerie? Is it some form of a high-class call-girl service? And can we please see a murder down in Queens where the accents are melting pot and not everyone lives in a nice, well-appointed apartment with no money worries?

Wait, I did say that I liked the episode, didn't I? :rolleyes: I did. There were also so many flaws.

I rather liked this episode. When it comes to movies and tv (especially CSI), I'm just not all that critical. I just thought it was very simple with everyone doing a great job. LOVED the scene with Mac and Hawkes. I also thought Anna did a great job conveying the fact that she wanted to get the hell out of that room. I always love Stella and Flack together. Not in a shippiness way, I just love the interactions.

My only peeve... where the heck was Danny all night!?

I gave it an A.

EDIT: Did anyone do the quiz? Just wondering.

I gave this a B+. The scenes between Mac and Hawkes balanced out the scenes between Mac and Peyton. I agree that Mac always looks uncomfortable with Peyton but the two scenes with Hawkes were excellently done. Loved the Stella/Flack interaction and did Flack call Danny 'Danno' or not? Too little Danny in this episode which is always a shame. Looking forward to next week's episode with great anticipation.

Showtime said:
Oh, God. They better not turn it into a one night lapse of judgement thing with Danny.

I will actually scream.

That'd be something out of a fanfic. I highly doubt that'd ever happen, I'd like to think the writers aren't that stupid.

The eppy was ok. I thought the blue train murder was more interesting then the rich guy's death. Mac and Hawks had great interaction between them. Poor Linds tried to exit the lap and yet still had to stay for the chewing out too. Well, I gave it an A-. Still felt it lacked something.

I think they were going for some more character development in the past two episodes, and it did take away somewhat from the tightness of the cases. In all 3 CSIs, IMO, we either get some good character background and weaker cases, or really riveting cases but mostly just seeing the CSIs rushing around or in the lab doing their jobs, and no character goodies whatsoever. I don't think any show of this franchise has perfectly mastered the art of putting both elements together in a seamless ep, yet.

Re: Mac/Peyton and his discomfort around her, he didn't seem uncomfortable at the opera at all, to me. But once they got into the work element, he stiffened up. I think they're trying to show that although Mac pretty clearly adores her, he really isn't wholly comfortable with the notion of now working with her. And in the work scenes, part of his hesitance, I thought, was because he was partly wrong in how he handled Hawkes, and he knew it afterwards. And Peyton is no shrinking voilet, so he knew she'd call him on it, which she did. He wasn't sure he was forgiven in the end, so he approached her with the reluctance of a man who senses he might still be in the doghouse.

Actually, I was glad they portrayed Mac as making a mistake in judgement. Everyone else has certainly had their missteps along the way, but although Mac can lose his temper with both suspects and staff, he pretty much ultimately knows the "right" way to handle both a case, and his people (perfect example, his gentle scene with an emotionally frazzled Stella the week before). I thought it went a long way in humanizing an otherwise "on a pedestal" character. I also figured that since he went to see Hawkes at the end, even though we didn't actually hear an apology, it was still there. The writers chose to focus instead on Hawkes reminiscing about it, but I assumed both men took the opportunity to make things right with eachother. And also, I think the writers chose to introduce a blow-up between the two men now, to make any future scene of friendship between Mac/Hawkes all that more powerful (don't want to give any spoilers away here, but folks who have read spoilers probably know what I'm referring to).

I gave it a B-. The cases were interesting enough but like others have said, the emphasis on rich, white, beautiful people in unusual circumstances is not the epitome of NYC and it's getting to be too routine. Nice to see some more Hawkes development--guess the writers are making up for ignoring him all last season. Could this mean that in a couple of years it'll be Flack's turn to finally get developed beyond being "the cute, snarky cop with an attitude"?

What are they? I don't even know what a bodega is lol

I caught the Danno thing too...was kinda giggling at my mom, the Hawaii 5-0 fan lol

I'm just going to say it: Mac pissed me off tonight. I love Mac most of the time, but he crossed the line tonight with his public excoriation of Hawkes. He was absolutely right in saying that Hawkes should have recused himself, but it was absolutely unprofessional of him to scream at him in front of co-workers. It reeked of posturing and grandstanding, and it was just plain unbecoming.

And while we're on the subject, why would Mac, who has consistently championed science and following the evidence, suddenly and inexplicably start lecturing Lindsay on the importance of character in an investigation? If the roles had been reversed and Lindsay had been waving the character banner as a reason to string McQuinn up by the ghoulies, Mac would have launched into a screed about not allowing emotions and perceptions to cloud judgment. Rightly so, I should point out. But because it's Mac-a seasoned investigator who should damn well know better-it's okay? Everyone, welcome to the Hypocrisy Bus. Mac Taylor will be your driver today.

And why is it that the ostensible heroes of a show never apologize for even the most blatant asstardry? Sheldon apologizes for...being nice, I guess, and Peyton apologizes for chewing on Mac's moneymaker for his buttholery, but Mac gets a pass because his motives were pure? Mmm. Okay. My respect for Mac, already at a nadir after his mind-croggling appropriation of Flack's pain in COTP, has officially plummeted into Satan's jockstrap.

Flack and Stella were adorable, though. Flack just can't keep his hands off food, can he?

Everyone, welcome to the Hypocrisy Bus. Mac Taylor will be your driver today.

La_Guera that was a good commentary & a funny one on Mac actions in this episode. I did find it odd that he would talk to Lindsay about making judgements about certain people.

I rated it B+, but I forgot to comment. Or maybe it's because I don't know what to say :(
Not a great episode, really.
Give it a B+ because I liked some scenes.

Pissed Mac with Hawkes was too much (even if it was an amazing scene, great Gary Sinise!!!), but maybe it was because his sexy b-day was ruined :rolleyes:
The most stupid scene was the angry Peyton :eek:

I liked Flack eating the wedding cake, and the little b-day party at the 5th floor :)
And finally we have some Hawkes private life :)

But don't know what to say more...
Oh yes: WANNA MORE DANNY :mad:

Back