Grade 'Hostage'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 21, 2008.

?

How would you grade Hostage?

1. A+

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. A

20 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. B+

12 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. C-

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. CSINYAddict

CSINYAddict Rookie

I agree, I like how Stella is very dedicated to her work. Of course, she was concerned about the safety of her partner. But well said, give the woman a gun - She will rock it. Yes I read earlier that it is evident that Mac is there to stay (THANK GOODNESS!) :) Nonetheless, I was seriously entertained with such a cliffhanger.

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'm probably being too harsh, but this episode gets a big fat F from me. It wasn't a horrible episode, the performances were good, the story line OK, but using it for a season finale was a horrible choice. It just seemed to me that they could've wrapped up the story in an hour. Having Mac in ZOMG! DANGER FROM TEH EVUL ROBERZ! as a cliffhanger is just lame. We know nothing bad is going to happen to Mac. He's the star of the show for chrissake. This first half of the story arc just felt like a midseason filler episode because all it did was set everything up for the action in the S5 premiere. CSI: NY has had awesome season finales, so that made this one an even bigger disappointment to me. I'd think three seasons of great finales combined with trying to overcome less viewers tuning in after the writers' strike would've motivated TPTB to come up with something huge and exciting instead of phoning it in, which is what this episode felt like to me. I know I'll watch the S5 premiere, but after this I can't say I'm too excited about it.

The one thing that made me very happy was the absence of any Drama Llama. That would have made a "meh" episode completely sucktacular and I thank TPTB for not going there.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Yeah, the second half of a two-part story is far more exciting 99% of the time--I guess they're putting their effort into an exciting premiere for the fall? Hmm...

That being said, I thought it was still good. :)

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Yeah, I know the second half is usually much more exciting; but considering it was a season finale I expected more than what they gave us. It didn't leave me with a "OMG! I can't wait till S5 starts so I can find out what happens!" feeling.

5. febgrl24

febgrl24 Dead on Arrival

^^^
    I have to agree with your assesment that this finale didn't leave me with an "OMG, I can't wait to see the S5 Premiere and find out what happened!" Now, the Criminal Mind's SF before this one definitely had me saying that! But overall, I did enjoy the epi. It definitely kept my attention the whole time, that's for sure. LOL! And I'd just like to add, I am not in any way a huge Mac fan, but I LOVED him in this finale!! I thought he was incredibly hot the whole time he was trying to process the crime scene and prove the bank robber's "innocence." And I'm also happy that we got a least some scenes of D/L. It's good their "drama" wasn't brought into the s/l.......definitely wouldn't have made any sense in the epi.

6. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

I give this one a D.

Sorry, but yet another show this year that has left me going 'fucking awful cliffhanger'. Just lacked any pace or dramatic tension for holding over like that. This could have easily been a split with last week's cabbie killer tie-up, and would have been more interesting - mainly because it wouldn't be Mac, yet again, in peril.

Also, did anyone else find the fact that the cop Flack talks to outside the bank near the beginning is called Ruben really tasteless on TPTB's part?

The only reasons it didn't get the full F treatment were the fact that Adam was there, and they stayed the hell away from the whole Drama Llama shit. Oh, and that virtual autopsy technology was cool.

Shame, because the story itself isn't all that bad.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The virtual autopsy thing was like something out of an episode of "Bones" :lol: which was cool.

I too noticed the cop named "Rueben" and my response was "Another Rueben? Man they like to reuse names on these shows."

I had read on this site that Elias Koteas was in this episode, but when I saw him on the show, it took me a while to realize it was him. I kept going "that guy looks familiar" and then I realized "oh wait, that's Elias." :lol: The robber guy is who I'm talking about by the way. He was Casey Jones in the Ninja Turtle movies (the ones from the late 80s or early 90s whenever they were made).

I was a little disappointed as a Danny/Lindsay fan that the so-called spoiler that D/L fans would be happy by this ep didn't happen. There was nothing about them relationship wise at all. Not that this episode needed it, but I just don't like being lied to. :lol:

The episode in itself wasn't that bad, but that was the dumbest cliffhanger I've EVER seen! :rolleyes: I agree with the person that said the Criminal Minds cliffhanger was better.

Can I just say that Flack has the most beautiful eyes? They closed up on him once and man he's got some nice eyes.

When Mac attacked that bad guy, I nearly screamed "Mac, are you crazy?" at the tv. I was so afraid he was going to get hurt (though I know he isn't going to die). But, I agree that the cliffhanger seemed more like a "before Christmas/New Year break" cliffhanger rather than a season finale. It was just the stupidest, the worst cliffhanger in cliffhanger history as far as I'm concerned.

Now, Miami left us with things to ponder "Is Horatio really shot?" "What was Ryan and the text message all about?" and CSI left us with somethings to ponder as well. Some are wondering about Warrick's fate and who will find him, etc... But what does NY's "cliffhanger" leave us with? "How long will it take Mac's team to rescue him?" LAME!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  8. Faylinn

^^Where is Joe/Douglas taking Mac? Was he really in on the robbery all along? What happened to the guy who actually robbed the bank? Does Joe/Douglas really even have a family? Why was the bank manager's wife killed? Why that particular bank? Where did the shooter get that kind of a weapon (or did they already address that question and, like the surveillance footage, I missed it)?...

I think there are quite a few questions to be answered in the premiere. :p

9. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

Just because there are questions, doesn't eliminate the total utter snooze factor of 'Oh lookit, Mac's in trouble again.' Nor does it make it interesting.

And people were saying Danny is a poor judge of character...Mac FTW on that, methinks...

10. Faylinn

Just because people were bored by the episode doesn't mean there aren't still questions that the S5 premiere has to answer. :p

11. origin-nknwn

origin-nknwn Rookie

This is very true. ;)

I mean, there's the DL question... :p

*hides*

12. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

^^That post I quoted^^ has got me doing like these emotes.
    :rommie::guffaw::lol:
    Faylinn, you crack me up.

*takes deep breathe and let's it out slowly*
    OK now to this episode. Of the 2 CSI shows I watch, CSI: Miami and CSI: NY, this year CSI: Miami had the better finale. I was like: OMG!!! Someone shot Horatio!!! I was fit to be tied...down that is...Monday night. This episode I was like: I'm starting to feel bad for this guy. Then the ending happens and I'm like: Oh man. This guy just put one over on Mac. Dang. Notice NO !!! Well this CSI: NY finale didn't make me feel !!! like the season 3 finale. At the end of CSI: NY's season 3 finale I felt like this: WOW!!! Could someone please come peel me off the ceiling?!?!?! And posted something to that effect. This one I didn't feel that. In fact, when I finish this post and grade this episode, I'm gonna go watch Horatio get shot again. More !!!:eek: to it then the end of this episode.
    My overall grade for CSI: NY's season 4 finale 'Hostage': B

13. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yes, I agree with all who said that this episode was a bit crap. :lol: To be honest this was one very disappointing finale.

OK, so I choose to read spoilers, and often because of that I have an idea of what might happen in the episode, that doesn't usually bother me because TPTB still manage to surprise me week on week, they really didn't this time. There was nothing else to the episode, so my disappointment is really my own fault.

Looking at it from a general episode point of view, if it wasn't the finale it would have made for a decent episode, Mac was great, Flack was hot, Stella wasn't bad either, Sid's new piece of autopsy technology was over the top but totally cool and all in all the acting and everything else was good. But, in terms of suspense, I didn't feel it, and I'm fully convinced that Mac will be perfectly fine. Although he does deserve reprimanding for his stupidity of going into the bank in the first place, why on earth would he do that or be allowed to do that? :lol: :rolleyes:

The point at which the episode started had me wondering how they could possibly fit a gratuitous Danny/Lindsay scene in, because I definitely expected something. Clearly it didn't fit anywhere, they worked together but there was no suggestion of anything more, and I'm glad they didn't put something in just for the sake of it. But I can't help but think that if I was a Danny/Lindsay fan I would be disappointed with this. Yeah they worked together, but it was suggested that D/L fans would be happy by the end of the season and I'm not sure that's happened.

This finale really was the Mac show, and as that it worked, Gary Sinise is pretty awesome after all, but it's still a fail for me. Not that I'll rate it F, I'll probably give it a C-. :)

14. Myownfan

Myownfan Civilian

Hmmmmm, what to think?

Well I was totally glued to the TV through the whole episode, but I was also thinking the whole time, when are we gonna see the rest of the team?
    This might as well been called CSI : Mac Taylor Style. I really love mac and all, but really share the spot light.

Happy to have Adam back, really loved the new gadgets. But after 'Snow Day' this was kinda disappointing, but hey I quess you can't make that great of an episode everytime.

I fully agree that D/L stuff would not have fit into this episode, but WTF, spoilers, really got my hopes up.

Anyway I gave it a B+, and can't wait til S5

15. Caprian

Caprian Hit and Run

I gave it C-.
    I expected more from this episode and I didn't really get it... I'm a bit bored by :rolleyes:SuperMac:rolleyes: although he trusted in the wrong man. Honestly, I really loved the scene when Flack and the team rushes into the "wrong" house, meanwhile Joe points the gun at Mac. Joe was faboulus. :D I can't help it but I love the evil characters. :devil:

Oh, yes. At this time I want more Adam or Sheldon storylines! :thumbsup: