Grade "Hammer Down"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 9, 2009.

?

How would you grade Hammer Down?

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. A-

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. C

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

How cool good for you how wonderful, bet you'll never forget that experience, and I totally agree LF does have a strong screen presence, he's wonderful; and did a great job in all 3 episodes, were lucky to have him in this role:bolian: The writers did good in choosing him~:bolian:

2. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Just catching up on episodes, but had to comment. Ray is a qualified Doctor, yet he lets Flack stay with the wounded cop just so he can go all Renegade on the motorbike and catch the perp? WTF?

3. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Well, I always thought Ray is a qualified pathologist......he's not an actual medical doctor like Hawkes is, he may have gotten a little triage training in med school but it's not what he does.....and having Dr. as a title doesn't mean the person is a qualified medical doctor....

And besides, Ray has a personal stake chasing after the perp, this is his case and he wants to see this through, after all, he has to be the one to tell the girl's mother whether her daughter would be coming home or not. So this is more than just a simple case, this one became quite personal for him so of course he wouldn't hesitate going after the perp to find the girls.

Yeah it's a stretch that Ray's running around, but from an emotional standpoint, Ray's got all the reasons in the world to go after the perp.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^Ray was definitely a medical doctor. He left the hospital he worked at after an angel of death killed some patients under his care. I wasn't thinking of that either, but yeah, you'd think he would go to help the wounded cop since he could do a lot more than Flack could. I guess they didn't want to pull him away from the action.

5. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

Curiosity, I don't get why you think that Sheldon isn't considered a "signature, defining" character on the show. If my memory serves me correctly, Hill's name was in the credits since the show started. I'd rather watch more storylines with Sheldon than with Adam. I don't know if your post is indicating that the main characters' personalities have been opposite to their usual personalities (Sheldon included) in this crossover, but Sheldon interrogating the doctor fits the storyline well. Given that Sheldon was a former doctor. And yes, he was still simmering from his failure to help the poisoned couple from the last episode, as Don was still hurting over the loss of Angell.

Truthfully, I am GLAD that Sheldon has his time with that scumbag doctor rather than Flack's delivery of his usual interrogation methods. And that his past as a doctor relates well with that doctor's ignorance of the oath. To wish otherwise in favor of redundance of characters or character favoritism is petty and teenybopperish. Not to mention racist when considering that Sheldon is not a defining character of CSI:NY!!!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Fine post up until this point. Let's not throw around accusations of racism or being teenybopperish and petty just because someone disagrees with you about a character's importance. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. You made your point just fine without the insults. Play nice.

7. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

It depends on how one defines a “signature, defining” character. I consider those types of characters to be the ones who by virtue of their personalities, relationships, roles, etc. contribute in a significant way to the style, tone, and identity of the series. Being in the credits isn’t necessarily a distinguishing factor since not everyone in the credits has equal prominence or impact on the series.

Maybe Hawkes was intended to be this type of character at the start, and in the beginning, I thought his role as the ME was intriguing and even a bit mysterious. When he became a CSI, however (at the same time that they brought in Lindsey as a new character), I think Sheldon lost some of his “uniqueness” as a character and seemed to drift somewhat to the background while other characters like Lindsey and even Peyton took some of the spotlight. Seems like it’s only been within the last season or two that Hawkes has started to get more focus with storylines like the ones involving his girlfriend Kara, the old college friend who wanted the flashdrive, and more recently his financial crisis.

So, when I look at the entire five plus years of this series, Hawkes doesn’t stand out to me as a signature, defining character, especially compared to others who also have been there since day one – Mac, Stella, Flack, and Danny. However, if they continue to give him more focus and development as in the last season or two, he could become that type of character imo.

Well, as indicated in my earlier review, I thought some of the regulars seemed a bit bland and flat in the crossover compared to their normal personalities. However, my point about leading the interrogation and pursuing the suspect was that these aspects of a case usually aren’t the ones in which Sheldon gets involved – it’s more typical of characters like Flack and Stella and in my view is actually a strong point for them. So for a significant crossover like this one, I was surprised they didn’t make different choices that imo would’ve been more representative of the show and characters in general. I do understand the connection the writers probably were trying to make with Sheldon being a former doctor – it just didn’t strike me as a particularly powerful moment. But YMMV of course.

It’s best not to make such assumptions. I’m not a member of the majority race nor am I anywhere close to being a teenybopper. My comments about Sheldon’s role in the crossover have nothing to do with race or some “teenybopperish” view of who is cuter. It does have, however, something to do with my view of which characters are more believable and convincing in certain situations based on what’s been shown in the five plus seasons of this series. It's fine with me if you liked Sheldon's role in this particular episode....I just have a different opinion about some of the choices made and how it played out onscreen.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009