Grade 'Flash Pop'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 29, 2012.

?

How would you grade Flash Pop?

1. A+

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. A

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. B

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

You know, I don't mind getting into their personal lives somewhat because they do a good job with everyone except for Danny and Lindsay. I just don't want the personal lives of all of the characters to take over from the crime drama aspect. Once that happens the show isn't CSI:NY anymore.

My fear is that S9 will turn into CSI: DL because Veasey wants to pretend they're some perfect, "wholesome" couple and TPTB watches the CSI:NY hashtag on Twitter and it is overrun with inane DL comments from the same few people. That is not representative of what the 10 million or so viewers want to see. I'm much more interested in the other characters' personal lives because they're not as insipid and pointless as DL.

2. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Lee Majors is actually 73 in April. But that's the trouble with Hollywood, everybody looks younger than they are, so they'd have needed an 80 to 85 year old actor to look 77 :)

THe ep was a bit dissapointing. I figured it wouldn't be Harland simply because Flack was the one pushing him as a suspect and everybody else was "oh noes, can't be *him*". And I agree that Lee Majors was criminally underused. Unless they're bringing him back to work with Jo on the Cold Case in a later ep.

3. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

IMO, he isn't coming back and by next week the cold case will be forgotten.

4. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

For me, the best part of the episode is the flashbacks. They were beautifully done. They reminded me of the playstation game I really love called "LA Noire" about an LAPD detective in 1947 and his job. (It's so cool to play as a detective!) I find it fascinating how the flashbacks worked in parallel with the present day case.

However, the little (BIG!) problem I have with the episode was, as said earlier, that the killer was not wearing anything on her hands while commiting the crime! The CSIs would have detected her prints all over the murder weapon and the victim. The victim was wearing a mitten but the killer wasn't? It was supposed to be very cold outside! That was a fatal mistake on the production's side. They would have gotten away with it if they didn't show the flashback of her killing the victim. (I know it's not CSI without the crime reenactment but clever editing could hide that mistake.) By that, we could just assume, that as someone who's very familiar with crime scene investigations, she wiped her prints off the murder weapon or she wore a mitten.

I hope if we get a season 9, we see Jo solve the cold case! I think she can do it! And as the show 'Cold Case' was always pointing out, there could be a murder witness back then who was unable or unwilling to give testimony to the police but can now, or there could be a key evidence back then that couldn't be processed by the technology available but can be now, and many more reasons.

I'm torn. The case present day case, the motive, the killer (what a psycho) are all mehs. The 1957 flashbacks win me over so A- is enough.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Not one of the favorites and how Mac treated Adam in this episode...I can't give it anything higher than a C.
    On Lee Majors age and the age of the case..Cold Case did that all the time. You just have to go with the flow on that.

6. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

I'm not entirely sure why people think Mac should have treated Adam any differently. He didn't yell at him, and Mac is the boss. Not just Adam's boss, in charge of the entire CSI department of NYC. Think of it from his point of view - on a technical level he's got the integrity of the lab in jeopardy and the reporters were absolutely right, the potential implications on past and current cases could be drastically impacted. He would have been more than within his right to be even harsher with Adam, even though Adam's feelings were quite understandable. Mac is in no way obligated to be all sensitive and be Adam's friend in this situation. I think with the personal level of interaction and relationships that they've built between the characters on the show, it's easy to forget that there is a professional separation and distance between Mac and everyone else. Now if Danny or Sheldon had talked to Adam the way Mac did, yeah I'd take issue with that, or if Mac had gone off on Adam like he did with him back a few seasons ago when Adam hadn't reported evidence directly to Mac. But this wasn't that, and while I could definitely see where Adam was coming from and would probably feel the same if I was in his place, neither do I think Mac over-reacted given just how much was on line in the big picture.

Overall I really liked the ep (which I'm kinda surprised to see I'm in an apparent minority). I loved the visuals of the flashbacks. I think that era looks fantastic on screen, and Geeno, I LOVE 'La Noire' too!!!! :D I was pleasantly surprised with how as obvious as the case was made to seem, the eventual perp and especially the motive wasn't predictable for a little while. The utter cutthroatness of the motive particularly had me actually a little floored. Kill someone over a potential job? I'm not surprised Jo got so angry. And I agree with whoever said it was better her to get outwardly angry as opposed to Mac.

I also agree that Lee Majors was criminally underused. The scenes he was in were great and I thought he and Gary worked well off each other. I really really wish Majors had been in the ep more!

And I love how they're writing and treating Mac's personal life. Way better than with any of the other love interests they've introduced for him. With both him and Christine basically being taken by surprise with their feelings for each other, the pace feels so much more natural and normal. And I loved the contrast from the beginning opening of Mac staying obscenely late, alone, tired...to the end where he's out with Christine and happy and they're surrounded by her family. You couldn't get a more opposite comparison, and I thought it was quite clever from a structural and writing perspective.

'A'

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I actually liked the episode, a lot. I don't remember any of the other CSI's doing an episode were the lab techs were suspects and I thought that was original. I liked how the mood was set from the beginning and it really did felt they had lost someone they worked with. I also liked seeing Mac's struggle thinking he should've done more even though realistically he knew there was no way he could've prevented it.

I loved Jo's scene when she stepped into Mac's office and told him how much she appreciated him. I loved even more the last scene when she teased him about his suit. That was just awesome :).

I really liked Danny and Lindsay's banter in the shoeprint scene. It was fun and lighthearted and they do seem much more comfortable with each other. Not exactly sure if it's Danny and Lindsay or Anna and Carmine, or maybe both, but there's an ease that wasn't there before. I especially liked when he left and told her job well done lol. He was in such a high and that made me laugh.

The flashbacks were cool. I liked that we saw a bit of the old case and not just heard a narration about it. I liked how 50's it all looked. The cars, the clothes, loved the hats ;).

Cristine is still pretty meh in my book. Probably this is the part I liked least about the episode. The whole scene were she kept rambling about how her family members were staring and asking questions kind of made me roll my eyes. So not yet a fan of this one.

Overall good episode gave it an A.

8. Rena

Rena Rookie

You're right when you say that Mac is the boss and that there is a distance between him and his employees. When Mac was criticizing Adam previously for hacking the computer of the FBI it was correct to do that. But in that particular scene Mac was just an a**, IMO. He was all so sorry because he didn't pay much attention to that tech lab and bla bla, but spoke to Adam in such a sarcastic way. This stupid Q&A tactic to point out that someone is wrong instead of just telling him that he's wrong. I hate that. It's what you do with kids, not with employees 'cause then you'd treat them like they were kids. I cannot explain it very well, but Mac really p**** me off in that scene ;) And by judging the face of the team, they were thinking the same (like when students look down at their desks while the teacher is critcizing one of them but inside they feel sorry for their fellow student).

9. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

As much as I adore cold cases, especially the flashbacks, this one kind of had me confused. Well, since it was my first watch, I'd probably watch the rerun sooner or later. So, I am introduced to 3 shots of 2 girls killed decades apart on the same spot similarly. And not 3 dead girls. 1. There is Lana from the '50s inside the book, 2. Mac gets a picture of a similar recent murder, 3. Jo is at the scene of the crime. The flashbacks had me confused since I thought there were two recent girls (one blonde, one brunette). Okay, so it ended up being one recent crime victim. I guess the whole odd cat's eye similarities were just a coincidence.

I think that Mac was pretty restrained in his order towards the team that no one but them investigate with the crime, especially to Adam. Truth be told, he has been restrained and somehow soft over the years and has been more like friends with them than as an authority figure. But, the Mac I know would not tolerate any big screwups when it comes to serving in the NYPD. If a boss of mine were in anyways like Mac, it's my need to remember where he stands whether I like it or not. I try to get used to it, and it is what I would expect from him more than anyone who is not as no-nonsense or strict as he is. It is expected.

I get that there's gonna be a time for CSI: NY to end, and I'd like to believe that the whole Mac/Christine is a pretty saccharine moment, enough for me to believe that they will ride off into the sunset, move to a farm town, and make little Macs and Christines once the show does end. Hopefully, it does not end, but I would really like to see less of a potentially perfect romance and focus more on what the show is all about, forensics and crime science.

As for the spelling of DNA to Do Not Analyze back in the days, that was pretty funny.

Mac and Jo getting angry at the killer = Pretty intense. As was Mac's suggestion that no one else works on the case but the main CSIs. What did Jo slammed on the table before leaving? It then seems like nothing was on that table on the next shot.

This gets a C+.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  10. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I'm going to re-watch this episode a bit later.

There were two women, one in '57 and then another woman that was killed currently. Jo and Mac BOTH got the same photo sent to their phones, Jo was probably checking out where the photo came from.

I thought Jo had a folder but I'll check that scene out, seems like some sloppy things going on. Danny's arms and something Jo slammed that disappeared as well as in the promo, you could see the back of the killer's head.

11. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

To the people taking up for Mac's treatment. Perhaps that time Mac's actions were in order, but on top of the other "Adam is an idiot." scenes over the seasons, it just seems played. Course Adam is a funny loving guy so he doesn't let it bother him I guess. I wonder if a person in the real position would take the flack as readily. But I am perhaps over analyzing it.

12. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I've rewatched the episode and actually I like it after the second time around.

I'm wondering if the snow might have made the fingerprints evaporate or something since it did snow.

I don't think Mac was as hard on Adam but didn't like the comment where Mac asked if EDNA was a suspect. I don't think Adam caught the sarcasm either. I'm not sure how the trace from EDNA got onto Kim in the first place. Since Kim's grandmom was involved in the case of Gregory's, I would have thought she'd be more fascinated with it than Harlan.

The scene where Jo left the interrogation room, there was a black folder and she did have it with her when she left the room.

13. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I loved the flashbacks. The fact that it was different because lab techs were suspects. I am not loving the romance between Mac and Christine at all. I don't think they have a great vibe. I gave the episode an A-. I thought they could have used Lee Majors more and they could have given a little more at the end to Jo trying to solve the cold case.

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I knew the killer would be a woman as soon as they showed all those footprints on the computer screen and Danny told Lindsay to remove the woman's footprints. I thought to myself, "and the woman will end up being the killer, right?" ... And I knew which girl it was when they interrogated Harlan and he said he went home and left the two women at the club or wherever ... and then when they were questioning her, she said she went home and left Harlan and the vic alone together. So, it was kind of predictable.

The case wasn't really interesting anyway. The reason for the killing was kind of stupid and made the girl come off as a sore loser cry baby lol. Oh boo hoo someone got more attention than you (and got a better score than you). :rolleyes: Ugh.

I agree that Lee Majors was underused. When the show was over, I found myself going, "what was the point in having a major well known actor in a role that was only on screen for that short a time?"... I just don't know what to think.

Like others, I also thought when someone (Jo I think) mentioned Adam running evidence that he wasn't going to be in the episode. I was glad to see that he was.

15. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

About Lee Majors, a friend of mine I chat with thinks they might bring him back to help Jo with the cold case.