"Ghost Town" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Yes, there may well be too much Ray. I feel like the producers sort of painted themselves into a corner on that one. When you hire an actor of Laurence Fishburne's stature, you don't just stick him on the back burner. They felt they needed someone like that to keep the show popular, yet they did it at the expense of the rest of the longtime characters. I hope they can figure out a way of making that balance work in a way that makes everyone in the viewing audience happy. Or, at least, as happy as the majority of us can be, LOL!

Yes, there may well be too much Ray. I feel like the producers sort of painted themselves into a corner on that one. When you hire an actor of Laurence Fishburne's stature, you don't just stick him on the back burner. They felt they needed someone like that to keep the show popular, yet they did it at the expense of the rest of the longtime characters. I hope they can figure out a way of making that balance work in a way that makes everyone in the viewing audience happy. Or, at least, as happy as the majority of us can be, LOL!

Part of figuring that out I feel would be an answer to 1 question -

Does the character of Ray Langston have to be involved in every case?

Have we had an episode since he became a CSI where there have been seperate cases that have remained seperate through to the end? By that I mean he's involved in one case and he doesn't have anything to do in any way with the other case. From what I remember he's either directly involved with the other CSI's like he was here or he's involved through the autopsy. I can't help but to wonder if we'll ever be able to have another 4x4 or Toe Tags. :(

Susan

I think Ray is a positive force on CSI, and am glad he's on alot, he was hired to be the lead and not replacing Grissom,[TPTB SAID] but he was almost in every episode as well, and I like seeing him, he's a strong force and knowlegable, and extremly likeable to me:bolian:

Watching this episode last night refreshed my memory, and a lightbulb came on so to speak is why the show is a different show now then it used to be. It was intriguing and awesome, but what I came to the realization of why. I see that the team is more mellow and calm then it used to be when Grissom was on duty, he was always miffed off and someone, putting his peeps on suspension and running amok with all of them at one time or another. I think the team was a bit fearful of him "what will Grissom say,"? what will Grissom do"? Not that they didn't admire his knowledge, and looked up to him, but our Dr. Ray is on the same level with them. He's never mad, nor angry at his co-workers, never bosses them around or pulls rank. The two scenes that I was glad to see again, was when he and Catherine were giving their theories , view ideas, and opinions. How Cath listens and is in awe and admiration of him, and he with her. She's more serene/calm, and the whole team is more relaxed. He's so mellow that it permeates into them. Not that their not still as sharp as ever while working on a case, they are, but this is a "team concept that works" calmness:) and they seem more happy with his presence. And that's a good thing. Even Icky Ecklie didn't get angry when Ray pulled off his bow-tie, that was funny:lol:and the last scene where Nick was watching the video with Ray talking to Craig, and sharing his remebrances of his dad, and Nick the always compassionate guy that he is, was thinking 'wow, this guys got some dark mysterious history" And the pic. of Ray's supposed dad, looked similiar to him, so maybe this is a pic of his real life dad. A good episode:bolian:

Ray does get angry, though. Grissom never got angry at his co-workers. He suspended them, yes. But it was always with just cause.

Ray doesn't have the power to suspend or reprimand someone, so I don't see the comparison. :confused:

Ray does get angry, though. Grissom never got angry at his co-workers. He suspended them, yes. But it was always with just cause.

Ray doesn't have the power to suspend or reprimand someone, so I don't see the comparison. :confused:

Grissom got angry with Nick a lot.:(

and Grissom only suspended one of his team members, his 'son' Warrick.

I think the team has always been calm. There was great chemistry between them.

Ray is not the supervisor, this is NOT his team. He is part of the team and has the tendancy of staying on the outside of this team.

Grissom was like a father with the team and the people in the lab. He would get annoyed and irritated with them (all of them) at times, but I don't remember him getting angry with any of them. We've all had those moments when we are proud of our kids, and those moments when we are disappointed in them, or we are just plain in a bad mood so we might snap at them. This was what made Grissom real and likable to me. But he was always challenging them to be better and he did compliment them when they did do something that impressed him.

Continuing with the family analogy, Ray is like a stepfather. He's not really that close to them like real family; and he's not their boss so he doesn't have any authority over them. Yeah, he gets along well with them, but he's still pretty much an outsider. And, unfortunately, probably always will be no matter how the writers try to write him.

I totally disagreee, Ray has connected with them exceedingly well, and is pleased to be with them. He relates his ideas and listens to them. He's extremly bonded to them and they are his 'new family' and the writers knowing this have signed him up for S/11, and I think they've done a great job with this character. And I wasn't comparing Grissom with Ray, and he is there equal, but has never went off on them quite the opposite. He's bonded and is in tune with them and we see that every week, and he's the lead, regardless how many fans disagree that he's not. He is a sauve, debonair character and has brought the team to new exciting heights. It's different now, but still an exciting show. Grissom was great but he's gone:(

Back