George/Nick: Texan Charm #11

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Well, I'm normally more the lurker in this thread because I never know how to say things right but I'll try to give you my two cents worth on this dicussion.

I never really saw a Father/Son-relationship between Grissom and Nick, not in the early seasons and not later. The best student line is fitting very well to Nick as it fits to George.

Let's see... in the early seasons Grissom never took Nick very seriously. Nick never did anything right and when he did, he got 'The Look' from Grissom. I've never seen anyone of the team getting this look, not Greg and not anyone. Nick had a hard time standing up for himself because when he tried he always got pushed down again. But he always tried to learn from Grissom, he even idolized him in some ways.

It changed a little in Eleven Angry Jurors where he finally stood up to Grissom and sort of found himself. Afterwards Nick was his own man but he never really stopped learning from Grissom.

In my opinion Nick saw Grissom more as a mentor than a father figure. I mean he said 'I'll never forget the things you've taught me.', right? There sure would have been said more emotional words if their relationship had been that close.

But I agree that this scene fits perfectly to George and Billy :) It's one of the best scenes ever.

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I agree. There was never a father/son relationship between the two. Out of them all, Grissom always treated Nick the worse. Dismissed him many times. After Kelly Gordon O.D. Grissom said 'so it's over'. If that was anyone else he wouldn't have said that.

Let's remember the original line was 'you did a good job, Nick'. Like I said before, that is something Grissom would say to Nick, however 'student' fits too, because that is probably how Grissom always looked at Nick, his 'student'. Warrick and Greg were like 'sons' to him, not Nick.

I suppose Grissom was always hard on him, because he saw so much potential in Nick and maybe that's why, or part of why, Nick is such a great CSI now and an Assistant Supervisor.

In any case, I still stand by that was really Billy talking to George. George has always said how much he learned from Billy. Now in real life, I truly believe that Billy and George's relationship was way different than Grissom and Nick's

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I think you've just hit the nail on the head here speedy. I've never looked at it that what but between you and NickyFan you two have nailed it here.

I don't know where the 'father/son' idea came from. It's one of those things you pick up on and mention it. Grissom certainly was more of the teacher and Nick the student. It's nice that the Billy and George saw it that way and that's what is important :)

4. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

I think some of it comes from Grave Danger and the scene where Grissom and Catherine meet with Nick's parents which someone (Tarrentino, maybe?) defined as "Nick's parents and Nick's surrogate parents"

I also tend to think that there's something fairly paternalistic about Grissom's use of Nicky - it always seems to be said with an affection (or as much affection as Grissom shows, at least!) that doesn't quite match the mentor/pupil relationship.

Then there's Catherine's line about "people are building a family around you whether you like it or not" from Burden of Proof, which probably also adds to the idea of a father/son relationship.

And then there's Nick's own attitude which comes across (at times) as "the one thing I can't do is let Grissom down" which has always struck me as something a little more than just pupil/mentor.

For that matter, there's also Grissom's tendency to keep Nick on a short leash right after something major's happened/screwed up which you could view in either light. (Only time this doesn't happen is just after Nigel Crane, but seeing as the next episode HAS to take place at least a couple of weeks later [given how banged up Nick is at the end of Stalker and how UNbanged up he is in Cats Cradle!], you can probably excuse that.)

All of which is a tl;dr way of me saying I can see where it comes from and I think I at least partially subscribe to it, but I don't think that either character would ever have described their relationship that way.

5. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

Love the new promo pics of Nick and Catherine. Looks like his hair is a little longer.

6. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I have to agree and disagree with you. First, I have to agree about Grissom and Nick more like a teacher and student then father and son. I think it's was the tabloid said that, I can't remember. Second, I disagree about Greg being a son to Grissom. Greg is not the son to Grissom, He is like Nick, he is the student to Grissom. Warrick is the son to Grissom, Grissom let Warrick get away with everything. He won't let Nick, Greg or Sara get away with everything, but he let Warrick and Catherine get away with it. Catherine is more of a mother to Nick, she is very protected of him.

7. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Oh Grissom let Sara get away with everything. I see where coming from, but I still think he thinks of Greg as a son. He never treated Greg like he treated Nick.

However, Warrick was definitely like a son to Grissom.

8. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

:shifty: Those of you with season 9 DVD's - do they have a deleted scene for The Gone Dead Train? It's between Nick and Langston. Wish I knew about it earlier. Nick's got a great smile in it. :D (found it on AOL video - I'm bored!)

Susan

9. Jacquie

I do have the DVD for season 9 and on that disc for The Gone Dead Train there is some deleted scenes but I don't know for which episode. I haven't got that far yet but when I do I'll be sure to share the caps if the deleted scene is that :)

10. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Yes, that is the deleted scene on that disc. :) Since I've got it in the player, I'll go ahead and make some caps.

11. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

:D You know, for posting that.

12. Jacquie

What a fun and excellent Nick we had last night :drool: :guffaw:

We all know about the cheerleader line :guffaw:priceless :guffaw: but it was interesting to see George play an embarrassed Nick :drool: :adore: and then we had an innocent and confuzzled Nick when Langston was telling him about the scent of panties. I don't think that was Langston belittling Nick I think that was George playing Nick dumb. As George has said before he likes to play Nick dumb on some levels and that was probably on of them :adore:

And then we had that black jacket :drool: and those jeans :drool: oh and did I mention that shirt :drool:

and blackflag I did actually get to see the clip for next week's show :) The Canadian channel didn't cut in :D

13. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

Nick was adorable last night! His facial expressions were priceless.

14. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

When was the last time we saw Nick blush so much? King Baby? :guffaw: The best part was in the beginning with all the models. I'm not sure when we've seen him go quite so red. :lol:

Line of the ep has got to be "cheerleaders are my weakness!" :lol:

I loved Wendy explaining the finer points of expensive womens undargarments to him. :lol:

I think the whole 'panty sniffing' thing sorta repulsed him a bit. Expecially when Langston told him how you can buy used womens panties from a vending machine in China. :lol:

He can act on facial expressions alone! :adore: (There are some great ones in there for NickyFan. :thumbsup:)

:drool: :drool: :drool: :luvlove: :luvlove: :luvlove:

15. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Nick's facial expressions were good eye candy; George did, as always, a wonderful job.

However, I'm telling you, that is something I could have cheerfully gone my whole life without knowing. Seriously. I mean, I get fetishes and whatever, but this...

I'm with Nick. "Oh" with a squishy face.

ETA: By the way, thank you, George, for not using the "p" word.

*shivers*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.