Forensic Science Trivia Game!

Anoxia is a condition in which there is an absence of oxygen supply to an organ's tissues although there is adequate blood flow to the tissue.

Am I right?

I asked my mother, you're right :D

And anorexia is a kind of mental disease that causes abnormal fear of eating and thus leads to dangerous loss of weight,it's mental not physical, right? :rolleyes:

Posted by Selina:
Ok, here is the next question. :)

What is the "Polymerase chain reaction"?

Oh WOW! I can't believe you asked that!!! That's going to be coming up in my Uni exam tomorrow morning! I've just been revising it this morning! Wow! And I was gonna post that one today too but you've beat me to it :lol: man, were you reading my mind?? :lol:

The polymerase chain reaction is a technique that enables multiple copies of a DNA molecule to be generated by enzymatic amplification of a target DNA sequence :D

I'll be explaining loads about this next week when I set up my thread on how to sequence, amplify DNA etc. from a crime scene, DNA profiling and how it's used to catch criminals etc. Watch this space! :cool:

Ok, here's an easy one...what's an ultracentrifuge?

Posted by wibble1:
Posted by Selina:
Ok, here is the next question. :)

What is the "Polymerase chain reaction"?

Oh WOW! I can't believe you asked that!!! That's going to be coming up in my Uni exam tomorrow morning! I've just been revising it this morning! Wow! And I was gonna post that one today too but you've beat me to it :lol: man, were you reading my mind?? :lol:

The polymerase chain reaction is a technique that enables multiple copies of a DNA molecule to be generated by enzymatic amplification of a target DNA sequence :D

I'll be explaining loads about this next week when I set up my thread on how to sequence, amplify DNA etc. from a crime scene, DNA profiling and how it's used to catch criminals etc. Watch this space! :cool:

lol, maybe I was rading your mind?? :lol: :lol:
looking forward to your threads!
And good luck for your exam! :D

Posted by ancienttomb:
Posted by wibble1:
It's a rotating machine using centrifugal force to separate substance :cool:

To which I would add that the ultracentrifuge is a commonly used piece of laboratory equipment that rapidly spins materials (up to 1,000,000 times the force of gravity) in a rotor while under vacuum in order to separate materials by density. Its rotors are exposed to enormous forces every time they are used. When rotors are used incorrectly, they can fail catastrophically. Seen one fail and it's scary.

Yep, TallyHo, you're right.
They can be dangerous.
And they also heat up, so they all have their individual aircondition (especially if they are bigger ones and used for a longer period than a few seconds).

Btw, welcome to the forensics forum ;)

Also if the tubes aren't balanced properly they can jump along the bench (or whatever it's standing on) and fall out the window. :lol: Honestly! It's happened at my Uni. :D

Posted by Selina:
Yep, TallyHo, you're right.
They can be dangerous.
And they also heat up, so they all have their individual aircondition (especially if they are bigger ones and used for a longer period than a few seconds).

Btw, welcome to the forensics forum ;)

Oh, I've been here before but thank you for the welcome. :)

The one that I saw fail, tore the room apart. The rotor went into a wall and there was shrapnel embedded everywhere. It sounded like a massive explosion. Scary thing was that some of us had been in the room about 1/2 hour before the thing went ka-blooey. I'm scared silly of the damn things now. :eek:

Wow, you were very lucky then :eek:

But speaking of dangerous, also gas bottles are very dangerous too.
When the vent is torn off they go like a rocket.
Gladely I've never seen it, but I heard they can go up a 4 storied building.

Posted by Selina:
Wow, you were very lucky then :eek:

But speaking of dangerous, also gas bottles are very dangerous too.
When the vent is torn off they go like a rocket.
Gladely I've never seen it, but I heard they can go up a 4 storied building.

EESH thats scary! :eek:

Allrighty people, enough talk of exploding/jumping ultracentrifuges, and flying gas bottles, on with the game! :D

ancienttomb it's your turn to ask a question! :D

Posted by CSI3:
Allrighty people, enough talk of exploding/jumping ultracentrifuges, and flying gas bottles, on with the game! :D

ancienttomb it's your turn to ask a question! :D
Ok :D
If a mother has leukemia, what the chance of her son's hereditary?

Back