Food for the Heart

MiaCharlize

Coroner
Hope a thread like this doesn't already exist around here, I do not remember having seen one.

This is supposed to be a place where you can discuss food.

What's your favorite? Do you enjoy cooking/preparing food? Do you just eat everything or are you very picky?

Since there are people from all over the world on this board maybe you can all contribute the specialities of your home countries, you favorite national food etc.

Anyone interested? I've been told that I'm obsessed with food, but in reality I'm mostly just obsessed with cheese and ice-cream. :lol:

Well, my favorite food would have to be anything sweet and chocolate

mochaweddingWEB.JPG

And I love cooking when I'm not stressed out over college or other things, I just hate doing it during the week. But on the weekends I love preparing food with my girlfriend.

As for specialities, I like German casserolles, cabbage rools, red cabbage with potatoe dumplings...well, can't think of anything else typically German right now ;).

Wow! Did you make that?

Great idea for a thread :) Maybe people could post recipies? Help others to try a variety of foods from diffrent cultures?

Just a thought.

Jodie

x

Well, my Russian obsession gave me a taste for Kulich :D It's a delicious cake/bread that is really big, so you have to make it in a coffee tin. You drizzle it with icing, and it's absolutely irrestistable. If anyone would like the recipie I'll post it.

I love baking, especially desserts. Chocolates & cookies are the best. I went to LA a few years ago and had a taste for those big pretzels. I found a recipie and made those, and they became an instant hit in my family :lol:

This reminds me - Gordon Ramsey visited Finland last week and they had given him traditional Finnish foods (poor him :lol: ) and of course- he didn't have good thing to say about those

My absolutley few Finnish traditional food is Karelian Stew - It has bit different variatiosn depending where in the country you are but in my area it's just meat + salt + pepper (and potatoes with that)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_hot_pot

Then another is Karelian pasties - oh so good with butter!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_pasties

Then Easter dessert :p Mämmi - it's not as bad as it looks :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4mmi

Here's some Finnish recipes
http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=26068

:D

As for my food - it's so hard for me to be a student because you have to buy what's cheap and not what's good :p
Food needs enough salt and I fry everything in butter :| There is no other option!

ETA: I forgot herring! Oh like the old email joke says "You know how to fix herring in 105 different ways" :D

it's so hard for me to be a student because you have to buy what's cheap and not what's good

Exactly. Being a student can be so hard... Although my main problem is not the money but coming up with something to cook every day. It's so boring to eat the same stuff all the time...

I like the idea of posting recipes, it's always good to try something new, especially when it comes with a recommendation ;)

I too am a student and have a hard time find cheap, healthy food, plus I'm a vegetarian. I do enjoy cheese, eggs, ice cream, salad, tofu, and hummus.

I like the idea of sharing recipes, perhaps even pictures so someone can know what it will turn out like, no one likes going to something blind.

My all time favorite thing to eat is my alergen. Haha, chocolate, I lovee chocolate, but I'm so allergic to it, if I eat it it hurts my throat, and if I eat a lot I break out in hives. Lets just say when I'm depressed I'm gross looking :p

I like cooking food...but I suck at it. I have managed to burn water, how you manage to burn water? I do not know. I am also a student so Kraft Dinner with some random vegetable thrown in it is the way to go :lol:. Okay, I eat more then that, but it's kind of hard to eat fancy stuff.

Hell, I've been there. I once made (well, tried to) Eggs and toast for my mom. I managed to burn the water and under-cook the egg. I was 9 though. But the toast was good.

Now, I love to cook. My mom was French, and I seem to have picked up a few things form the French cuisine. Also, I like things from my southern hometown ;)

Favorite food: YES (Just about anything but liver.)

I hate to cook. I have enough trouble making toast. Also lost the recipe for boiling water. That is why I eat out EVERY DAY. Some of my favorites include...

Italian: eggplant parmigiana, lasagna, cannoli, pizza, ravioli
Mexican: chimichanga, burrito, taco
Greek: gyro, moussaka, baklava
Chinese: General Tso's chicken, eggrolls, fried rice, crab rangoon
Japanese: chicken teriyaki, shrimp tempura, sushi, spring rolls
Soups: French onion, won ton, egg drop, clam chowder (New England & Manhattan), shrip bisque, minestrone, Wisconsin cheese, ravioli, chili
Fast food: cheeseburgers, chicken fingers, tacos, fish and chips, deli sandwiches
Ice cream: about 50 flavors, possibly more
Chocolate

MiaCharlize said:
it's so hard for me to be a student because you have to buy what's cheap and not what's good

Exactly. Being a student can be so hard... Although my main problem is not the money but coming up with something to cook every day. It's so boring to eat the same stuff all the time...

I HATE making food :lol:

I've decided to go and eat at the uni from Mon to Fri because it's only 2.35€ - it includes salad, drinks and whatever you pick eat,I mean kinda main course (there is usually 3 choises)

Or if not uni, we get food the same price also in where all office workers eat in the centre.

I hate boiled or fried cabbage. Or in general any veggie that is boiled or fried .

ahhh the good old student diet...i am getting sick of it!!

Nothing like eating fries and ice cream for supper :lol: And plenty of pizza...

Canadians eat pretty much the same as americans...probably more healthier though. We don't eat out as much, and we have less fast food. I love meat. I can eat tons of it, it doesn't fill me up.

Here are two canadian things...

poutine2.jpg

poutine, which is a french dish from Quebec. It is fries with mozzarella cheese curds, topped with gravy...mmmm classy. Its great after going to the bar, have done lots of late night poutine runs.

120803timhortons.jpg

and of course, anything from tim hortons. It is a dounut shop, with sandwiches, bagels and soups. They are known for their coffee...and if you go to Ontario, you will see Timmys more than any other store, they are everywhere.

I am a vegetarian and I like to try new stuff from time to time. But my all time favourite has to be pizza!

A nice pizza with tomato sauce, dubble cheese, pine apple and garlic ;) That feels like heaven!

Oh and Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream...! Especially Fish Food! :devil:

So, I'm from Belgium, and what is Belgium more known for than... waffles! :D

waffle.jpg

This is actually a "Luikse" waffle (from Liège) which is basically a belgian waffle with caramelised sugar on the outside. The fun thing about it, is that you can top it with absolutely everything, as long as it's sweet :D

OMG that looks sooooo delicious! I want that right now!

I was just about to cook actually, salmon with carrots & zucchini and rice. But now I'm more hungry for something sweet... only problem is that I don't really have anything here... well, maybe I can convince my girlfriend to make a banana/vanilla milkshake for me later :D

Back