Flack vs. Danny

Twinkletoes said:
Wifebeater??? :confused:

I have no idea what that is? Could you explain please?? :(

It's a term used to describe those tanktop undershirts that Carmine wears. It's a terrible way to describe them IMHO, but it seems that alot of people call them that.

1CSIMfan, I don't really remember much of the posts you were quoting and asking about, but perhaps "living in Danny's (or was it Carmine's?) shadow" was the wrong phrasing. Also, I was just leaving out the "/" in my conversations about the actors performances, since I was referring to the actors and their characters. Again, maybe I was just tired or whatever when I wrote it. I was talking about how Eddie as Flack played off Gary as Mac. Whatever. Sorry for the confusion.

afrikana & hidinginmyeyes thank-you both for explaining that to me.

I agree; what an awful word to describe something that looks so attractive on him.....

JDonne said:
I don’t think Carmine is on screen a great deal less than he was last season, I believe it is more a case of Danny lacking the emotional depth and ferocity that he has in seasons past, the writers have stripped him of personality and made him something of a pathetic puddle.
I do agree that the amount of screen time is about the same (at least in the first episodes of the season) as it was in the 2nd season.

But I actually think that the writers are really faithfull to his character. True, we have not seen the emotional, passionate and dramatic Danny of season one and two, but I think that's caused by the cases he is on and not by a change of personality.

It is mentioned several times in the 'grade ep ..'-threads that the victims and the scenes the crimes take place at are becoming more and more upper class. For someone like Danny it's hard to relate to those people and their environment. So he does his job and that's it. There is no emotional attachment whatsoever. Therefor his best scene so far this season is in the car with Shane Casey because he did feel a connection with him.

Flack on the other hand seems to be getting more cases and personal situations lately that get under his skin and that's why he seems to be more 'in the picture' right now. And this time not onely with funny one-liners but with emotional outbursts too.

I don't think either one of them should get less screen time, but it will be nice to get some more insight in Flack's story and if therefor Danny's scenes will be somewhat limited it's fine by me.

Since I like something in season 1, 2 and 3 Danny he's still my favourite.

It's a term used to describe those tanktop undershirts that Carmine wears. It's a terrible way to describe them IMHO, but it seems that alot of people call them that.

Personally I like the term but that's just me. :p People call motorcycles "crotch rockets" and that could be taken many ways (which only lands me in the gutter) and it meaning is only describing the way a guy sits on the bike.

I know some people think it's horrid and I did find this: The origin of the term is from the stereotype that the shirts are worn predominantly by men who beat their wives in the 1950's.

Since I wasn't around in the 50's, I don't think of the the term like that because the name of the shirts aren't really associated with that anymore. At least not in my book. ;)

I also found this is the urban dictionary which (except for the 50's mention) describes Danny perfectly:
A type of sleeveless undershirt, of the kind that used to be worn by almost all men in the 50's. Also has associations with slovenly, unkempt, sloppy, etc. Someone who just woke up and hasn't combed their hair or washed up and appears at the door in a wifebeater shirt, scratching themselves, is a stereotypical picture that comes to mind.

I used to love the bed-head look Danny had before he got his hair cut and his wifebeater.

I don't really remember much of the posts you were quoting and asking about,
They were just taken from several quotes before my post from different people.

dutch_treat said:

But I actually think that the writers are really faithfull to his character. True, we have not seen the emotional, passionate and dramatic Danny of season one and two, but I think that's caused by the cases he is on and not by a change of personality.

It is mentioned several times in the 'grade ep ..'-threads that the victims and the scenes the crimes take place at are becoming more and more upper class. For someone like Danny it's hard to relate to those people and their environment. So he does his job and that's it. There is no emotional attachment whatsoever. Therefor his best scene so far this season is in the car with Shane Casey because he did feel a connection with him.

Flack on the other hand seems to be getting more cases and personal situations lately that get under his skin and that's why he seems to be more 'in the picture' right now. And this time not onely with funny one-liners but with emotional outbursts too.

I don't think either one of them should get less screen time, but it will be nice to get some more insight in Flack's story and if therefor Danny's scenes will be somewhat limited it's fine by me.

Since I like something in season 1, 2 and 3 Danny he's still my favourite.

So, essentially, what you’re saying is that Danny’s current drugged state is because he cares less about justice if the victim is wealthy because his own background prevents him from understanding their world? I don’t know if that is a statement about Danny or notions of classism. Is the converse true as well, do the wealthy care less about those less privileged because they can’t understand what it must be? What about Stella, who grew up in an orphanage without any of the benefits that come so easily to those with money, does she also fail to invest herself in cases involving the wealthy? Does she become less embroiled on a case when the victim is wealthy? Well, we know that isn’t true and it doesn’t seem to be true of Danny either. Furthermore why stop at class, why not extend the notion to race or gender? I think once you become a victim of murder, rape, assault what you are suffering eclipses class. Not to mention, I don’t think there is any evidence that Danny is only impassioned when the victims and perpetrators are poor.

Thinking back to Hush in season one, the victim lived in the suburbs in a two story home complete with back yard and Danny was pretty determined and lively when it came to bringing her killer to justice. He was so determined that he took down a person of interest even while they were wielding a blowtorch. I think back to season two and the weather girl/meteorologist case, hardly a profession that sends you to the welfare line, however Danny interrogating her killer brought out the veins in his neck and allowed Carmine to deliver a powerhouse performance. We could go back to season one and the rich woman raped in Central Park, there was Danny working side by side with Stella to bring the rapist to justice. There are more moments that prove that Danny’s fiery nature has less to do with wealth and more to do with Danny’s need to protect the innocent, to seek out the destroyers of families. You can contrast the fiery Danny with the amused and distanced Danny that worked in American Dreamers even though the victim was not only young, but homeless as well, can you get any poorer that that? We can further that with the cruel Danny we witnessed when he questioned the gypsy cab driver’s son, people that barely scrape together a living. Justice is not about class when it comes to Danny, it is something he desperately thinks each person passing through the morgue deserves.

The only character that seems to equate humanity with familiarity is Lindsay.

Though this isn’t the thread to debate Danny’s season 3 catatonia so I’ll let what I said stand without going any further in depth.

Does Flack deserve more screen time, of course he does, but illuminating one character does not mean turning off the lights on another, there is no either or, simply writers that can’t or won’t handle the task of being true to all the characters in every episode rather than three or four.

JDonne said
…he cares less about justice if the victim is wealthy because his own background prevents him from understanding their world?
...do the wealthy care less about those less privileged because they can’t understand what it must be?
Furthermore why stop at class, why not extend the notion to race or gender?
I think once you become a victim of murder, rape, assault what you are suffering eclipses class.
I didn’t mean that his care for justice was less when wealthy people are involved. I think he still will do all he can to find the necessary evidence. It’s just that it’s sometimes harder to relate to people with whom you have nothing in common. And that’s just what I, at first, thought was an explanation for the fact that Danny seemed to be less focused lately.

And of course the suffering of every victim of any crime has nothing to do with that victim’s background. It’s just that it is human that we tend to be more shocked or react more emotional if we hear or read that something bad happened to by example someone from our race and gender who lives in our neighbourhood and has the same age as we have. But that doesn’t mean we don’t care for other victims.
JDonne said:
…some short description of episodes from season 1 and 2…
After reading that I must acknowledge that my earlier assumption was not correct. Danny’s behaviour is not being influenced by the background of the victims. So maybe it’s because of his background, but that, indeed, is not the subject here.

As for why Flack seems to be more 'up front' lately I really have no good explanation. The actor certainly deserves it, but so do they all. I think it’s just the writers doing their utmost to give everyone a fair share of screen time. We’ll just have to wait and see; after all there are still 16 ep’s of this season left.

JDonne's post made me nostalgic for the Danny of season one (and a smattering of season two episodes) who cared passionately about the cases. I will always maintain that this is what makes his character so appealing, and yes, without that, he is a diminished character.

As others have said, I don't really buy into the Flack vs. Danny competition. Flack and Danny, along with Stella, are my favorite characters on the show and the most well-developed. I think it's great that Flack has been getting attention this season (well, really in this last episode for the most part), but I think Flack has been well-developed all along--the development has just been a bit more subtle than Danny's has. Flack's quips and comments tell us a lot about who he is--they have from the first episode of the show. The way he treats the other characters on the show--most notably Danny and Stella--has always told me a lot about his character as well.

I'm glad Flack is getting development, but I don't think it has to be at any other character's expense. I don't think he needs to compete with Danny--the two work together so well and are far and away the most compelling pair to watch on screen that this show has to offer.

Back