Flack vs. Danny

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by cSiNyFrEaK30, Nov 10, 2006.

1. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

As i've been watching this third season, i've noticed that the emotional, angsty Danny that we all know and love is disappearing. I loved his emotional storylines in seasons one and two, and i was hoping to see more of that in season three...but besides the whole Danny/Lindsay thing i didn't see anything worthy of his character...

..for this reason, i think i've been drawing closer to Flack as one of my favorite characters. It seems that the writers and taking more of the emotion from Danny and giving it to Flack-anyone else noticing that? Danny, although he still plays a role in all the episodes, isn't nearly the same as he's been in the past two seasons, and Flack is coming out of the limelight a little bit more...

so i was wondering if anyone felt the same way...i still miss the old Danny, but i'm loving the new Flack...i just wish there was more of a balance between them.

What do ya'll think?

2. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

I think you're definitely onto something. Danny will always be my favorite, but season 3 Danny is somewhat lackluster. That's no fault of Carmine's at all. The writing just isn't there for his character this season.

Perhaps because last season was dubbed by many as "the Danny show," the writers are making a concentrated effort to develop the other characters. I understand that. I hate to see it happen at Danny's expense, but I understand.

Flack was fantastic last night. Eddie's comedic timing is flawless, but we rarely see anything more than that. It was really nice to see him given the opportunity to play a different emotion and he rose to the occassion nicely.

While I personally am a diehard Danny lover, I can certainly see why the fangirls might be gravitating more toward Flack this season. Even to me, his eyes are looking spectacularly blue these days.

3. Cahill_Fan

Cahill_Fan Rookie

I have to agree as well. Eddie is my guy, and last night he was awesome! (Forceful Flack is HOT!) And Danny seems to be missing something. He is just not the same. I never had a problem with his airtime last season, and it just seems so obvious that they are keeping him and Montana away from each other. she turned him down, they should still be working together, have some sort of tension. give us something!

4. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Given her present condition, unless they want in write in that Lindsey is carrying Danny's love child, it just wouldn't play well to have Danny pursuing an obviously pregnant co-worker. Best to just keep hiding her behind lab equipment for now.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I decided at the end of last season that FlackEddie was my guy. It's partly because I tend to root for the underdog; not that I'm saying that FlackEddie is that in any way, but that he was sort of living in DannyCarmine's shadow. Granted, Carmine has higher billing, but I think (and PLEASE don't anyone flame me for this, it's just an opinion) that Eddie is the better actor. I see what I see. Anyway, I LOVE it that Eddie was given a chance to really show his talent and the way he played off of MacGary in the latest episode was great. It's great to see Eddie do something besides just sarcastic one-liners.

Carmine is an enigma to me. I have my opinions on who he is both onscreen and off. It doesn't bother me at all that he has a bit less screentime so far this year. I agree that last season was "the Danny Messer show", so this season it seems to make sense that they would showcase the other characters more. Not just Flack but Hawkes, Adam, Sid. But the more Flack they want to give us, the better, IMHO!!!

6. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

I think perspective goes a long way towards answering this question. Perhaps part of the reason it seemed so much the “Danny show” last season was that the writers seemingly hitched Lindsay to his ass as they could not and have not developed her as a character outside of Danny’s existence. I mean honestly, half the time Danny was on screen there was Lindsay, so it wasn’t so much the Danny show as it was the Danny and oh look here’s this character named Lindsay that we really want you to embrace and love show and oh by the way aren’t they the perfect couple. Given the reception on the board, I’d say it was not a runaway success and perhaps the writers and show runners would do better to heed the old adage of all your eggs in one basket. Danny had one showcase episode last season, RSRD, and in that episode he had half an episode because the other half was used to set up Stella’s following week brutalization at the hands of Frankie the psychopath.

I have always appreciated Flack and Eddie’s portrayal of the character, whether he was in an episode for 10 minutes or 40 minutes, he shines and is talented. As a viewer since season 1 I don’t feel the need to live in an either or state. Danny and Flack both have their talents, they both have their draws, and they are both portrayed by immensely talented actors. Eddie deserves his time on the screen and Carmine deserves better at the hands of the writers, there is room for both not one or the other. I don’t think Carmine is on screen a great deal less than he was last season, I believe it is more a case of Danny lacking the emotional depth and ferocity that he has in seasons past, the writers have stripped him of personality and made him something of a pathetic puddle. At the same time, the writers have started to move beyond simply using Flack as the comic relief, they have begun to deliver on some of the dramatic promise we saw in season one’s The Fall. The problem I think is a seeming inability on the part of the writers to write effectively for more than 1.5 characters at any given time.

So, what I want is not to trade in, up or around, but Flack wonderfully written and portrayed and Danny wonderfully written and portrayed, why settle for one of something when you can demand two.

7. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

that's not necessarily the case. Carmine may be listed 3rd in the credits after Gary and Melina, but Eddie has the 'and' credit at the end. From an actors point of view, the best spots in the credits are usually first billed, or last billed with an 'and' or a 'with'. So I don't think we can definitely say that Carmines position is better than Eddie's.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

"that's not necessarily the case. Carmine may be listed 3rd in the credits after Gary and Melina, but Eddie has the 'and' credit at the end. From an actors point of view, the best spots in the credits are usually first billed, or last billed with an 'and' or a 'with'. So I don't think we can definitely say that Carmines position is better than Eddie's."

You know what? I remember someone saying that recently in a post somewhere. Thanks for the reminder, because it's a good thing for us to know.

9. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Apart from RSRD (which I haven't yet seen :() Danny was the main focus in the episode which featured the panic room wasn't he?

10. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

Yes, you are right; he was heavily featured in Trapped. I'd forgotten about Trapped, it was the episode that set up the existence of Louie, thereby serving as a necessary setup to RSRD, but with a little arm exploitation thrown in for good measure and viewer contentment.

However, those two episodes don't really justify the label of the "Danny Show,” considering the season was 24 episodes long. So I'm still wondering where I can find the "Danny show,” I'd certainly watch. I'd also watch the "Flack show" and the "Stella show."

Eddie's placement in the credits is fitting considering his roles prior to NY, which included not simply a stint on Friends, but his own show on the now defunct WB network.

I don't think any characters development suffered because Danny emerged as a frontrunner in popularity. I also think somehow people see Danny's popularity on the board and that somehow translates in their mind's eye to 40 of the 45 minutes of each episode focusing on him, which is absurd and does not happen. Danny had bite and now his teeth have been yanked out one by one until he has become an almost ghostly presence on screen. While that is happening to Danny we are seeing a new side of Flack emerge, an angry side, one that I hope ties back into his injuries and the psychological impact of almost dying. There has always been more to Flack, at least I always felt there was and all it took was that one moment in The Fall to illustrate that beneath the one-liners and easy smile, there was some darkness.

The viewers have an understanding of what each character is about whether it be summarily or in-depth. Part of Flack's lack of screen time in seasons past is due to his roll, which is that of homicide detective and not that of CSI. Eddie deserves to be highlighted, but I imagine that what we are currently seeing is the development of an ongoing storyline and a connection back to the season finale, so it is the status quo, but I doubt it will be the norm.

11. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

Danny is just absolutely adorable and his whole not-really-bad-boy wrong-side-of-the-tracks thing makes him so tick. Plus, he's good to look at! But no, I wouldn't say the Louie-Tanglewood thing overshadows everything.

Although, I'd love to see Flack's story... like living in the shadow of his legendary father. That'd be nice. Flack is developing quite well. Eddie manages to get effortless humor into his scenes. I found myself laughing about getting a vanilla cake or whatever it was a while ago.

But, Danny's "appeal" is that he tries to make the jokes as well... but often it's not very funny.

Still though, I love the character developement in Danny. It's as if he's growing up a little.

12. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I'm confused. :confused: How was Flack living in Danny's shadow? I know Carmine has had several Danny-centric episodes (which I loved) but I never thought of Flack living in his shadow. Also, I'm a little confused with the FlackEddie and DannyCarmine phrasing. :confused:

JDonne, I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Nobody's gonna flame you for this. It's your opinion. Personally, I don't feel Carmine is better than Eddie or that Eddie is better than Carmine. To me, I could care less where the actor is in the opening credits. Sure, they always put the main character first but I think they are ALL important. I agree with JDonne that Eddie is last in the credits with the "and" because of his stint of Friends and other shows.

Hmmm..I've never noticed that. I guess because to me Danny's appeal is that he's so passionate, he's a sweet guy, and he sure is hot in that wifebeater. :devil:

I guess what I'm getting at is that I have a hard time with Danny vs Flack. :rolleyes: I like them both but if forced to pick..I'd pick Danny. :lol: But then again, I like Danny/Flack. :p

13. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

Ain't that the truth? :lol:

14. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Wifebeater??? :confused:

I have no idea what that is? Could you explain please?? :(

15. afrikana

afrikana Pathologist

^vest/singlet