Flack # 7 - Everybody Loves A Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^It would make sense. He does have a lot that the others wouldn't understand. All the characters have their problems, Mac was a marine, Danny has the Tanglewood problem, Stella was in foster care and so on, but Don has to deal with the pressure from his father, the scrutiny from his peers and the judgement from his superiors. Maybe he just wants people to think everything's okay so he can work things out himself.

hidinginmyeyes said:
I need to watch the last several episodes again and sort of analyze Flack's behavior.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the friendship between Danny and Flack is more in fandom than it is canon. Danny seems to be closer to Hawkes than Flack, especially now. In season 1 we heard them planning to shoot hoops on Saturday and we've seen them work a few cases together but not as many as Danny and Hawkes have worked, and lately there hasn't been much in the way of any friendship dynamic between them that I have noticed.

Huh? Any talk of romance between Danny and Don might be purely in fandom, but the friendship was established in the first episode of season one and has been evident ever since. There are plenty of examples from this season: Danny being comfortable enough with Flack to open up to Shane about his brother in front of Flack, Flack calling Danny "Danno" at a crime scene, Danny joking with Flack by asking him if he was impressed with him getting the guy to leave his prints on the car in "Love Run Cold." As others have said, both Eddie and Carmine have talked about the uniqueness of the characters' friendship in the genre.

As for Hawkes, up until "Raising Shane" I kind of assumed he and Danny were just work buddies. They chatted during processing a bit, and Hawkes unloaded after Danny asked him what was wrong in "Mrs. Azareal" but it didn't seem to go much beyond that, until it became clear in "Raising Shane" how determined Danny was to help clear Hawkes.

In Raising Shane we saw that even though Flack works with Mac's team, the Captain is his boss and his first loyalty is to him. Whether we like the Captain or not (and I didn't) we see that he is in fact Flack's boss, not Mac. There's been discussion about how Flack lives in both worlds, and he does, but he's a cop first.

Agreed.

I think the cops who are talking about Flack, bad-mouthing him for handing over the memo book are small-minded at best. I mean, come on, do you *want* a bad cop out there making it harder for the honest ones? Get serious. They'll get over it, I think. It might be tough for Don right now but he did do the right thing and everyone will see that in time. It would be interesting if we saw a follow-up to this issue at some point.

Loyalty is a big deal among cops. It's a big deal for Flack. I think most of his turmoil comes not from how others are treating him but his own feelings that he betrayed one of his own.

It does seem like Flack is an under-used character. Hopefully they will do a good back-story episode about him at some point. Like they did with Brass on the Vegas show. I'd like to think that since they know what a great actor Eddie is that they are working on something that can really let us see his talents.

Again, I've got to say, huh? While I'd love to see more Flack, I think if you dig beneath the surface, you'll see there's a lot we do know. He's loyal to a fault, and values loyalty above all else. He's also incredibly honest, and when it comes down to it, will do the right thing even if it means risking scorn from his colleagues. He's a bit stubborn and sees things in black and white more than the CSIs tend to--people are good or bad in Flack's eyes. He's protective of those he cares about (Danny) but knows when not to condescend (Stella in "All Access"). He hates being lied to, but he believes in his friends no matter how bad things look. He's snarky, but he knows when to be serious. He's an eating machine. :lol: He likes Monopoly, steak, Letterman, playing the lottery, hot dogs with everything on it, etc.

We know a lot about Flack because like Danny, he's one of those characters that makes good use of every second of screen time he has. I'd love to see more of him because he's fantastic and deserves even more to work with, but I don't think he's quite under-used (see Hawkes before this season) or under-developed.

Good insights, Top41. And I admit that my interest in the character is skewed by the fact that I'm such a huge Eddie Cahill fan and can't get enough of the guy. I agree we actually do know quite a few little tidbits about Flack and are learning more with each episode. Just not enough for me personally, that's all. I'd like to think that Danny and Flack are good friends. I think I said that's how I see them. But I'd like to see them actually do something together outside work. Shooting hoops or having a drink together. Wouldn't that be nice? I doubt there's time for it with any of the characters in the show's time frame but it would still be so cool.

hidinginmyeyes said:
Good insights, Top41. And I admit that my interest in the character is skewed by the fact that I'm such a huge Eddie Cahill fan and can't get enough of the guy. I agree we actually do know quite a few little tidbits about Flack and are learning more with each episode. Just not enough for me personally, that's all. I'd like to think that Danny and Flack are good friends. I think I said that's how I see them. But I'd like to see them actually do something together outside work. Shooting hoops or having a drink together. Wouldn't that be nice? I doubt there's time for it with any of the characters in the show's time frame but it would still be so cool.

I'd love to see that, too, but this is a procedural show. It's unlikely we'll see much of that period. I don't think anyone would object to seeing Danny and Flack play hoops together. :D

The same is true of the character stuff--you kind of have to weave the little tidbits together to get a picture of each character as a whole. I think that with the exception of Lindsay (a walking cliche) and Hawkes (actually under-developed, but improving), it's been done very well with Mac, Stella, Danny and Flack.

I'm a huge fan of Eddie as well, and I hope after NY he goes on to get his own show again (like Glory Days, only one that survives!). I think he's fantastic, and one of the best actors in the cast. He really makes Flack, and is a lot of the reason there's so much to the character--his delivery of his lines is fantastic, and I haven't seen him off his game in a single episode yet (something I can't say for any of the others, save for possibly Melina). We're only halfway through season 3--give it time, I think we'll get more Flack.

Top41 said: "I'm a huge fan of Eddie as well, and I hope after NY he goes on to get his own show again (like Glory Days, only one that survives!). I think he's fantastic, and one of the best actors in the cast. He really makes Flack, and is a lot of the reason there's so much to the character--his delivery of his lines is fantastic, and I haven't seen him off his game in a single episode yet (something I can't say for any of the others, save for possibly Melina). We're only halfway through season 3--give it time, I think we'll get more Flack."

Agreed on all points! :D

flackpromo.jpg.w300h448.jpg

Love the pose & sunglasses!

hidinginmyeyes said:
Top41 said: "I'm a huge fan of Eddie as well, and I hope after NY he goes on to get his own show again (like Glory Days, only one that survives!). I think he's fantastic, and one of the best actors in the cast. He really makes Flack, and is a lot of the reason there's so much to the character--his delivery of his lines is fantastic, and I haven't seen him off his game in a single episode yet (something I can't say for any of the others, save for possibly Melina). We're only halfway through season 3--give it time, I think we'll get more Flack."

Agreed on all points! :D

Second that! I think Eddie is a fantastic actor who hasn't been allowed to show what he can really do yet, and Flack is an under-used character who seems to simply act as a bridge between the lab and the NYPD. Sure, this is what he would do anyway, but I feel there is so much more of Flack still to be shown and would love a Flack centered episode for Eddie to show what he is really capable of, if nothing else! :)

^^ That was what I was trying to say in my other post. It might be hard for them to do a lot with Flack because he's not a CSI but I've seen them do a more involved story on Brass on the Vegas CSI so it's conceivable that they could do one for Flack. The NYPD legend father angle is a logical choice. We Eddie fans hang by the TV waiting for our little 30 seconds of Flack here and there in an episode. Yes, sometimes he is in there more than that.

I'm consoled by the knowledge that Eddie is a young actor with a long career ahead of him so we'll be able to enjoy him for a long time to come, whatever he ends up doing!

I agree. Eddie is an amazing actor and with CSI NY and so many other great credits under his belt he should enjoy a great career in acting. And we Flack fans do wait through an hour of CSI for only a few minutes of our hero. Hopefully he gets his time in the spot light soon.

I'm consoled by the knowledge that Eddie is a young actor with a long career ahead of him so we'll be able to enjoy him for a long time to come, whatever he ends up doing!
I started :lol: and giggling :devil: at that. I think I fell on my head. Actually its proabably lack of proper sleep. But sometimes we all need to fall in the gutter with him. ;)

LOL!!! I made a funny! Well, I agree with you about falling into the gutter with him although at my age it would almost be like robbing the cradle! I guess I could say he makes me feel young again. Either that or I'm just a dirty ol' lady!

hidinginmyeyes said: I'm consoled by the knowledge that Eddie is a young actor with a long career ahead of him so we'll be able to enjoy him for a long time to come, whatever he ends up doing!

Amen to that - I hope Eddie's career goes from strength to strength and we have lots more Eddie to look forward to! He is too good to not have a long career ahead of him. ;)

^^ I concur! He is too amazing to disappear into the background. Hidinginmyeyes, we have the opposite problem, you're robbing the cradle and I'm a minor! That's okay, we can love him anyways!

^^Eddie lovers come in all ages, sizes, shapes and colors I guess! I'm still planning to start an Eddie forum as soon as I decide where I want to put it. Probably EZ Board. I have to have something that does all the work for me. I'm too right-brained to handle the technical stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back