Eric/Calleigh storyline -- why we dislike it. Part 2 **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Apr 18, 2010.

1. mayra1990

mayra1990 Prime Suspect

Ok thanks for telling me this.... ;)

2. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Sorry, Star Gazer, I'd have to go back and look. I'm on the computer for research and news constantly, and I know I came across it somewhere. I want to say on this website, but I can't swear to it. I'll see what I can find today.

And that's just part of the problem. WHO'S IN CHARGE?? ANYBODY KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?? Trust me, if you ran any normal business like this, you'd be canned before your first evaluation.

[​IMG] Sorry, it's still a little early in the morning.

You bring up a good point, Star Gazer. Is nepotism rampant in the Miami-Dade Crime Lab? :wtf: When Ryan came back, there was a process. Still no question about Delko's fitness to even BE a CSI with two bullets in his brain. In Born to Kill, Rick Stetler :adore: was all over Ryan about accounting for a cash deposit he'd made before transferring to CSI. And if memory serves, when Ryan took the nail in his eye, his fitness to be a CSI came into question with his eyesight.

I realize that in Under the Influence, Horatio said to Ryan about the paperwork "You let me handle that". But he at least ACKNOWLEDGED that there was paperwork and a way to do things. No such acknowledgement with Eric wanting to come back. No physical or psychological evaluation. All Eric would have to do is be involved in an incident. Remember After the Fall? Stand Your Ground? The whole purpose of procedure and Internal Affairs is for the department to protect THE PUBLIC and ITSELF just in those two brain bullets shift and Eric shoots a little old lady or crashes the Hummer into a mom driving a minivan full of kids. (Sorry, there I go thinking again!)

You can't tell me nobody would have bad feelings about Eric just walking right back in the door like that, especially knowing he's Horatio's brother-in-law. But then again, they did get rid of Rick Stetler, Maxine Valera, and how often are Michael Travers and Dave Benton on anymore?

True confession time. In the early years I found Delko to be likable, and yes, even sexy.

Clue time, Hollywood. The CSI franchise originally catered to an intelligent audience. Though I can't vouch for Hollywood, most normal intelligent women in Flyover Country don't find anything sexy or attractive about weak, squishy, clueless men who can break rules right and left.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Not that I've never considered this aspect, but thank you so much for bringing it up.
    I seriously don't get why Eric should be forgiven for whatever he does...even the worst things possible. All of this just because he's H's brother in law??? That's awful!!!!

I mean it's quite disgusting that a person like Eric can go back to work only few weeks after he had been shot with no rehab. It is quite disgusting that no one has ever questioned his ability for years....I know I know....Calleigh saved his ass with the whole cheat sheet crap and I won't ever consider it 'cause, otherwise, I'm quite sure I'll be banned from the forum :lol:.

What about Sharova? He helped a member of the Russian mob hiding anything possible from the team (again, Calleigh helped him out and, again, I won't go any farther) who was legally investigating on it!!!!

He has never been questioned for anything.....anything!!!! This is crazy!!! How many times have the other been questioned even for the most stupid thing when he has always been forgiven just because he is H's brother in law???

I could go on for ages, but I don't want to bore anyone :p

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Seems like ever since Eric's shooting he's been babied & pampered (not appealing to me at all). Would he have gotten away with half of what he's done if it had happened pre-nomance? I honestly don't think he would have. If E/C didn't exist, Calleigh wouldn't have been so forgiving with all Eric has done wrong on the job, especially his "secret investigation"; Horatio would have at least given a small "tough love" lecture. But TPTB have always put this emphasis on Calleigh's men having to be perfect or else they're not worthy of her :rolleyes: so it makes me wonder if were seeing this because it's the only way for Eric to look "good enough" for Calleigh. I mean, had he been seen (even briefly) as a no gooder by the team or Horatio then there's no way Calleigh would have approved either. Heaven forbid.

What's humorous is that some of her old 'playmates' have actually done far less than Eric has, yet they're dubbed as pondscum. Things that make ya go...whatever.

5. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It just makes Calleigh look like a hypocrit to me.She holds others to such high standards but either turns a blind eye to Eric's "imperfections", or forgives him much faster than she does anyone else.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  6. lizziewalker

lizziewalker Rookie

eric has always had horatio looking out for him even when they did they first ep of season 8 were they went back to the year 1997 it was horatio that told eric to go for his badge and to come looking for him once he got it. It seems horatio has been looking out for him for a long time and not just when horatio married his sister

7. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Anywa, what I see is Eric and, now, Calleigh being treated a lot better than the others and I still don't get why.

As for Eric yep he has always been looked out by Horatio, but things, quite honestly, have got worse ever since Horatio's marriage :rolleyes:

Anyway I seriosly dislike the famous bond between Eric and Horatio and I will never get it. Probably that's the real reason why I don't like Eric back at work 'cause he's always been pictured liek "the perfect/special guy"...to me Eric Delko isn't that special but oh well that's me :lol:

8. lizziewalker

lizziewalker Rookie

yeah i agree when h married eric's sister it was like no one else mattered anymore and eric is like the fave i just hope things change for the better next season

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Horatio has always coddled and covered for Delko's incompetence and inmaturity.
    Horatio has always been there for Ryan as well (and for the rest of the team when needed). But he has always stood by Ryan while Ryan dealt with the mess he'd created. And he was there when Ryan truly needed him.

With Delko, Horatio seems to know that it's up to him to step in and clean it up himself. I've always attributed that to the fact that Horatio knows that Ryan is the stronger and more competent of the two (evidenced by the fact that he chose Ryan to help him fake his death - not Delko, who I'm sure he KNEW couldn't handle on his best day what Horatio needed).

It's always been fustrating to watch Horatio protect Delko the way he does.

Then Delko gets shot in the head and he's even more incompetent. He's a danger to himself and any member of the team he's paired with (how about Delko freezing under fire (sorry, can't remember the name of the episode) - can we say "back to work too soon - if at all!" But again, Calleigh covers for him!). With all the time and effort Horatio, and now Calleigh, expend protecting Delko he shouldn't even have a freaking job. :scream:

With Calleigh we basically see her take over where Horatio left off (but Horatio never went so far as to have sex with Delko - just his sister - maybe?) and again see a superior coddle and cover for Delko's incompetence and failings as a CSI and as a man. He's whiney and pouty and quick to anger and not in control of his emotions 90% of the time (not that he every really was). He continues to be a screw up in the lab and at the crime scenes. So Calleigh decides to throw her integrity and credibility into the toilet and she not only covers for his incompetence - she starts having sex with him - one assumes because Jake was too difficult to dominate and Delko, being the wimp he is, just begs to be dominated! After the shot the head - he's definitely Calleigh's type of guy! :rolleyes:

So she joins him in sinking into total incompetence as her whole life, both personal and professional, becomes nothing more than protecting and taking care of Eric and his screwups and then she begins to emulate his lack of professionalism and we get to watch what was once an outstanding female character go straight into the trash.

Sad.

At least there were moments when Horatio made Eric man up. When he loses his badge while "toothing," in "Killer Date" for once Horatio doesn't cover for him and tell Delko he'll "handle it." He advises him to file the report and take the hit - and get out there and FIND IT! And when the report comes in that a murder has occurred with the suspect using a police badge, Horatio truly looks angry as he gets on the elevator to respond to the call.

However, again Delko is never made to assume any responsibility for the death that occurred due to his criminal negligence. The pattern of Delko being teflon coated (admittedly Horatio has fallen into that category at times as well) continues to this day - and with Calleigh in charge of the lab (as it appears for all intents and purposes the last couple of seasons), he never will. (I was actually thinking that Calleigh might be the huge betrayal for Horatio as she used his many missteps against him to get control of the lab. With as low as their relationship has sunk, THAT wouldn't have surprised me at all. And her cold, selfish persona of late, would work well into that storyline. It would increase her ability to protect her boy-toy.)

Unless of course, he does something to make Calleigh angry and loses that precious protection she affords as her boy-toy. Who knows what will happen if she stops protecting him. I guess Horatio will have to step up again. Somethings on this show are just so preditable. :rolleyes:

10. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Delynn I totally agree with you especially on Eric being incompetent because that's what he and Calleigh are now.
    I so wouldn't trust in having the two of them investigating on the murder of one of my friends or relatives. I'm pretty sure they both would screw up (Calleigh won't even waster her time examining the bullets :rolleyes:) while Ryan, Walter, Natalia and Jesse would work seriously....all of this cohordinate by Horatio who happens to help me with my grief.....too bad that both Calleigh and Eric will take credit of everything :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'm done with two incompetent people like the two of them bossing around as if the lab were theirs!

11. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Interesting comment considering how the EC relationship has polarized so many viewers. I know this thread has been around for a while and you've probably stated it before, but have you been able to come up with a reasonable storyline wherein the relationship ends and viewers will be satisfied, or is it too late to fix?

12. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

PC comments from a lead actor trying to stop the hemorrhaging without dissing co-characters. David should be in politics.

13. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I just hope and pray that David Caruso does not really have this idea of the show because all I've seen is loss of respect towards their fans (I'm talking in general not only about the whole E/C storyline).
    I cannot feel TPTB treating us well....I'm sorry but I cannot do such a thing!!!!

Readin the other part of this "interview" it also appears that everyone is still enjoying and appreciating their job because “Just when you think you are tired and you have run out of fresh ideas, you find a new reservoir of energy.” I don't know but I'm too disillusioned to believe in all of this, though I appreciate David's efforto to makel all of them look like a real team ;)

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

David is the lead actor and it's his job to put a positive face on the show. Inthewind is right. With the move to a new night that the ratings getting lower and lower as each season passes, David is trying to keep a positive perspective out there when he does publicity about the show. That's his job and his responsibility as the lead actor.

Everything I've ever read about him is that he is highly intelligent and very attentive to what his fans are saying. One wonders if David was only talking to the fans or if he was sending a message to TPTB as well.

And you're right, Flo. There is a total disrespect for a lot of the fans who have faithfully watched and supported this show from the beginning certainly by TPTB and others who continue to ignore a significant number of the audience who has expressed disillusionment with a tired storyline that is ruining the show for them as their favorite characters are left without a story or any screen time.

I think David's correct when he says there is a bond between the actors and their fans. The problem is that for CSI Miami the bond does not reach beyond the fan and the actor they have chosen to bond with. The fans of this show do not support or embrace the cast as a whole - only certain actors/characters and certain storylines.

And I think that stems from the fact that we don't sense a "team" on or off screen with these people. Unlike shows like NCIS and Criminal Minds, these people don't seem to care about each other as a "family unit" as the other shows do - both on and off screen. And it shows. Big time!

And then for many fans, it is their storyline or character that is the focus and the result is a total dismissal of the importance of the contribution of the others and their fans. This is why the fans of CSI Miami are in a constant state of unhappiness and always feeling so embattled. And it is encouraged by the actions of TPTB.

The, "Just when you think you are tired and you have run out of fresh ideas ..." statement is a recurring statement with David. He been saying that for several seasons now. It sounds like wishful thinking to me because, as much as I love the guy, he sounds like he trying desperately to make us believe there is some life left and a reason to keep watching the Eric and Calleigh show.

Again, Inthewind is right. David has a politicians way of walking that tightrope on a highly emotional issue. There is no way that I'll ever believe that David isn't very much aware of the war raging over E/C. He has just wisely chosen to keep his head down and do his job.

As I said, highly intelligent man! :)

15. 1brattygirl

1brattygirl Dead on Arrival

I love Erick & cahlley(I think dats how u spell ur name)