Eric and Calleigh #37: Against All Odds

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Audrey2419, Jul 30, 2009.

?

New Thread Title

Poll closed Aug 4, 2009.
  1. Powering Through Adversity

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Against All Odds

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  3. Eye to Eye; Heart to Heart

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. No Distance Between Them

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Together to the End

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Now and Forever

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  7. Adversity Only Makes Them Stronger

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. They Belong Together

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. Love Knows No Boundaries

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. No One Loves Him Like She Does

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delkolover

delkolover CSI Level Three

I don't like how they are writing Calleigh with this storyline. It is becoming apparent that writers are literally changing the characters to fit this story. Her personality, even in the finale, was soooo off it is/was rediculous. Same thing with Eric. Someone and I had this discussion where they said that when they noticed the character changed it immiediately spelled to them that one of the two of them was going to leave the show.

It is obvious b/c the writers built this ship up to be sooo strong and in a matter of 2 epes they basically torn it down and last night pretty much kicked it in the teeth! Emily did say in an interview that Calleigh is being very cold about the situation and putting up the professional front but THAT was just horrible. She literally blew Nat off and was totally devoid of all emotion in that scene...which, even though Cal can be a "I am all business" type of woman, was out of character for even her.

Did anyone else notice the car she got out of? Isn't that Eric's car? She has a Crossfire and from The DeLuca Motel we know that Eric has a silver BMW sedan ;) And even though IAB told them not to speak with each other, something tells me they have had some kind of contact or something....why the hell is she driving his car? For posterity?

I honestly do think they have or will break up b/c of this and have little faith in our writers that we will get some semblance of a happy ending with these two. These writers are too much "out of sight/out of mind" for them to write something that will make us happy. I mean c'mon GSR left the show and STILL got a happy ending! They got married....why can't our writers do something like that for E/C?

This show is honestly starting to ware on my last nerve!

2. Composer1234

Composer1234 Witness

the only reason I can think of is because Calleigh is a such a popular character. She gets most of the screen times besides H, most of the 'team story lines' involves her. Therefore, if her romance is settled, like if Eric and Calleigh got married, then the writers can't create 'on screen' drama/romance with her. It also doesn't help she is really quite pretty and charming.

Thats the only good reason I can think of....But how silly!! I re-watched the 7.16 preview, and it was practically a preview about E/C! the last message of the preview was 'nothing can keep them apart' or something. All the build ups that leads to nothing?! Seriously, if the 'leading up to nothing' is the big surprise then I think the writers should have just sticked to cheese...cos at least cheesiness makes people happy. :p

I questioned myself the other say, what if the writers were treating E/C the same as CAKE...so nothing TOO speical, just a love story. Cal and Eric could simpily have broken up, Eric leaves and Cal starts seeing someone else! Just like when Jake left and Cal and Eric got together after that.
    Remember how CAKE were pretty serious,it also started offically with a kiss in the finale therefore it could be treated as a cliffhanger for CAKE fans. So I also re-watched the preview for 5.24 and no, there were nothing about CAKE just that short snippit of the kiss.
    So from the difference of the leading up process, I would have thought that TPTB were serious about keeping the E/C relationship going therefore, I still have hope!:lol:

But...notice how in all the interviews, if the interviewer asks Emily about E/C romance, her response is always 'my romance is in jeopardy!!':shifty:

I still have hope though!! :lol::lol:

3. SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart Prime Suspect

I'm totally just going to cheat and copy and paste the comments I left on a friend' LJ about these two eps and E/C....

I'm with you on there being a sad, sad lack of E/C present-day scenes in the season premiere, but I loved that scene with Natalia and Calleigh in the beginning of the second ep. I love that she's unapologetic about shooting at him, because it WAS her job, and she didn't do anything wrong. And I love that she's going to give an honest testimony, even if it hurts him, because it's the RIGHT thing to do. And I was so pissed off at last year's finale when she did NOT do the right thing, did NOT do her job, and it is part of what got them into this mess in the first place. I can't get behind E/C if being in that relationship means she compromises her professionalism, so I'm glad to see that's not happening again.

As for what the rest of the season may hold... I've avoided spoilers so far, aside from the news about Adam. But I'm not sure if Eric only being in ten episodes means they will not be together anymore, or if it means we'll just hear references to them offscreen. And at this point, I'm almost not sure which I want, because Calleigh needs a guy who is strong, and does the right thing, and I'm not sure anymore that Eric is that guy. So we'll see. It's a shame, though, because he WAS that guy up until the finale. Up until then, he was someone who seemed like he would be really, really good for her long-term. And now.... I don't know. We'll have to see how they deal with this.

4. nwolfson22

nwolfson22 Police Officer

Wow! Nice catch! DelkoLover! I just re-watched it and it totally is Eric's car from DeLuca, unless I am just seeing things.
    As an optimist I want to see this turn out ok for both parties...and I want this ship to continue past the point of Eric's departure. And if TPTB don't end it the way WE want...we should all write our little FF hearts out and make it end to OUR favor. F- TPTB these are our characters for 7-8 years they won't rip them appart.
    (End Rant)

5. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

Hey, it's really nice to see you here again! You're one of my favourite FF writers :).
    About Eric, I agree with what you're saying, but
    when you're writing your FF stories, pleeeease don't change Eric's personality like tptb did. Keep him the way he was before season 7's finale. With everything that tptb's been putting us through lately, we desperately need some feel-good E/C stories!

6. SomewhereApart

Thanks! I definitely won't be changing their characterization in anything I write -- mostly because everything that's a WIP was started before the finale aired, so it doesn't include that as part of its canon. I am still planning to finish A Tour of the Heart at some point, and Bella and I have (briefly) talked about finishing Hunting Azrael. Altho after the last few episodes, I kind of feel like those two stories are swan songs for a dying ship. :rolleyes:

7. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

Isn't his car black? I could swear that at the end of And They're Offed" when Eric was walking to his car & trying to call Calleigh, he was getting into a black car, and in The Deluca Motel, wasn't his car black?

*sniff* That makes me really want to cry *sniff* . I so love A Tour of the Heart, and have loved everything you've written, not to mention the rate at which you once cranked out the delicious EC stories. But I digress... I do understand that people move on from fandoms, and our ship doesn't seem to be doing very well right now, and the future may be bleak (although, I refuse to lose hope and do hope that when the season is over and Adam has left the show, that Eric & Calleigh are still together)... but its just depressing. I mean, its bad enough that Eric & Calleigh are having problems on the show, but when the ship loses fans, and worse, its best writers move on, its even more depressing.

As I said above, I'm still holding out some hope that EC lasts... it can be done, and should be done, damn it. I can't say with 100% certainty that after this season I'll still want to write EC, if Eric & Cal have broken up for good, because who knows how I'll feel then, if I'll be too pissed off to care... but it is my intention to keep EC alive in the world of fanfic.

8. SomewhereApart

I have a vague recollection of his car being grey/silver, but I don't think it was a BMW. BMW seems a little out of his price range anyway. My guess is it's just a new car for Calleigh -- which makes it her... fourth? Calleigh goes through cars like nobody's business.

I'm hoping they last, too, but only if they don't gloss over the events of the finale. They need to actually deal with the collosal craptasticness of the decisions they both made, and decide whether or not them being together is still smart. Because wouldn't you know, IAB was exactly right about people making bad judgement calls and job performance suffering when people are involved. Calleigh dropped the ball. Eric lost his logic. The writers just yoinked them out of character for an hour and expected us to all go "oh, okay" and just buy it. And that's crappy. That's crappy showrunning, right there, and unfortunately it looks like it will have long-term repercussions for them.

As for fic... In all honesty, the biggest reason the writing slowed down for me was because I spent four weeks in March mainlining Battlestar Galactica to see if it was as good as I'd always heard it was (and it is, it so is). And I meant to keep writing during that time, but was a bit distracted. Heh. Then once I was out of the habit, it was hard to get back into writing mode for Calleigh and Eric. And I have a couple other fandoms that I've been writing for, so my writing energy has been a bit scattered. However Tour of the Heart has been totally plotted out from beginning to end since before I started writing it, and I love the story and the characters, and I love the later bits that are already written (and my new roomie was one of my betas, and is in LOVE with the story, and bugs me about finishing it every couple weeks hehe), so I am going to try to get that one done sooner rather than later. Maybe it will be good escapism from the direction the actual show seems to be taking them.

9. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

I LOVE your FF stories also! Please don't give up :(! Like I said to SomewhereApart, we need well written, feel-good E/C stories now more than ever. Adam said he`d like to make guest appearances after season 8; this gives me hope that the writers will probably keep our couple together! Let`s just be more patient :rolleyes: and see what`ll happen this season. Deal :thumbsup:?

10. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

SomewhereApart, what you said about mainlining Battlestar Galactica made me chuckle because I've been doing the same thing, but only with Criminal Minds and NCIS. I've begun a CSIM/NCIS crossover with a serial killer as the villian. It's not really plotted out completely yet, but I'm laughing my butt of writing it. Of course this is why I haven't been working on my Little Steps and now I've screeched to a complete halt because I was going to end the story right after Sink or Swim, but now......dangit. Iron Chef Miami Style is still around, I'm just trying to write around the competition without being repetitve on the cooking processes. Hmn...maybe I'll angle it in from the judges' P.O.V. for a change up. I do find it funny that I have Calleigh being an excellent cook in most of my stories well before Sink or Swim aired. I know that Emily, herself, said she doesn't like to cook because she'll never eat what she spent time making because she gets full on the aroma. Same thing tends to happen to me. I eat through my sense of smell so when my nose is finished, so's my tummy. But she's a Southrn woman and I bet she really can cook well.

11. rhee52

rhee52 Hit and Run

Hi this is the first time for me to post but i have always read your posts to get updates about my favorite ship... I just want to say that even though things are not looking good for E/C right now I'm not giving up on them... kudos to you all for keeping the this ship alive. HIPHUGGERS til the end!

12. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

Hey rhee, welcome to the thread! It's always nice to see new names here :)! And thanks for nor giving up on our ship; we need all the support we can get! Like you said " HIPHUGGERS til the end!" :thumbsup:

Psst, AJ where are you? You haven't reported to Hiphuggercentral for a while now :guffaw:!

13. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

This is AJ posting live from Hiphuggercentral....:guffaw::guffaw: All power to our president and the wedding pic.(a D&D and AJ JOKE!) .:guffaw::guffaw:
    We don´t have pic yet.:shifty: and will only share with members of new ship.:guffaw::guffaw:

Well I am pondering SomewhereAparts point as the reprecussions....

IF I was prepared to "see" thing correctly ---Yes, she DIDN`T do anything wrong. And he was fleeing the scene. BUT::p

1. This is tv-land. Correctness is subject to personal writer - interpretaion as to mistakes made by maincharacters in tvland. AKA Where is the wound for Calleighs shot?
    2. When they as in showrunners chose(?) to go canon? and they went the lovedovy way with 2 main characters. They chose show emotions from characters which IMO added to our viewing of the characters. But can you retrack that development? Now she is heads over heals in love - now she is not.

As Nat is a friend of Call´s she should show some emontion as the Eric - thing. Calleigh might never have been the most emotional character AKA any interaction with her dad. BUT IF this doesn´t affect her then she will be forever the same and stale(?). I am sure what or where I would like to see Call go from here if not with E. Or if I would enjoy 5 more years with Call being the good old Call. Worst case: Call. being rejected by next loveinterest too.:(

Hey! by the way do we know theme of investigation? He flirting with the wrong side of the law or her shooting?

Hi rhee52 and a warm welcome.

If you ever swing by the Tallyboard Call. is an important character but is succes based on her staying the same or us learing more? Jesse seems to be doing fine as Eric replacement ....But how will Erics on and off showing work ? Will we like it even if in the occasional episode we get a hint of "they might get back together"

First Fan Fic by Ajbuckly:

They are still together- Just respecting IA rules- . Writers dropped the break-up and IA theme is: Gun fired by CSI at coworker. He leaves for her to keep job. And they will invite the whole team to wedding May sweps 2010.

THE END

Do you think they will choose a Cake-ending to hiphuggership? AHGRRRRRRRRRR I want kissing and love forever.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  14. SomewhereApart

I don't think that Calleigh isn't upset about what happened (although do we know for sure that she SHOT him, not just shot AT him? We know he's hurt, but I don't know that we've seen any injuries on him that can't be attributed to the car crash), but I also think Calleigh deals with her emotional stuff on her own time, not on the clock. I mean, think back to when Hagen died. She'd just seen her ex-boyfriend shoot himself in the head, and her reaction was "I have to get back in there, I have eleven open cases." She was clearly shaken up when she said it, but her initial reaction was just bury herself in her work. That's how Calleigh deals -- or doesn't deal, might be more accurate. And that's not going to change even if she's in a supportive relationship, especially if whatever upset she's going through is related to that relationship.

Even Emily herself has said that Calleigh is acting like she's okay, like she's holding it together, but that she's upset about it underneath. And that's typical Calleigh. When she's at work, when she's in her professional world, it's rare for her to be visibly shaken by anything that's going on in her personal life. That's why it's always so interesting to see her in episodes like Stand Your Ground, where she's crying on Eric's shoulder, or crying with Alexx in the premiere of this season. She isn't someone who acts upset on the job, no matter what is going on in her personal life. So I like that they've stuck with that right now, and that she's acting like things are okay, like it's fine, like she was just doing her job. In reality, she shot at her boyfriend, who was fleeing a crime scene and I'm guessing may be looking at possible criminal charges for doing something she warned him not to do, her butt may be on the line because she ignored evidence for him, and now she can't even see him until after IAB takes them through the wringer on this. Right now, her work is probably keeping her sane. If she can do her work, and not have to deal with the Eric thing, she can get through the day and get home and deal with it then. But not at work. Never at work. I think this is a case of classic Calleigh-masking-her-emotions-to-cope-with-stress.

15. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

Aj, you're hilarious :guffaw:!
    BTW, I LOVE your first hiphugger fanfic. I think you should send it to CSIM's writers and DEMAND they follow it to the tee :guffaw:
    And no, we don't want a Cake-ending to hiphuggers, but rather a cake-ending, as in wedding-cake-ending for them.:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.