Episode 9x19 - 'Caged' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Apr 9, 2011.

1. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

This was this season's weaker episodes. I could have sworn there was more MMA fighting than forensics in this episode.

-Strange that the villain killed everyone who got in his way except Ryan.
    -Molly's got a gun?
    -Laughed at the FPS Game type POV in the opening scenes
    -Hated the shaky cam (I hate shaky cam:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall: )
    -Ending saved it.

Rating 3/5

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

He killed the guy in the car so he could use his ID badge to get into the arena. It wasn't because the guy got in his way. In the arena, there were too many people in way too close quarters for him to do much, which is why he only knocked Ryan out. Not to mention the fact that he had to have known other cops were around and he just needed to get away as quickly as possible.

3. yen35

yen35 Witness

I didn't like this episode. I don't like boxing and I enjoy the show partly for the forensics and evidence gathering etc and there was very little of that. Also, kidnapping the wife and forcing the husband to coorperate is kinda a old plot for me.
    I have a question about the episode. How come Molly carries a weapon? I remember Natalia joined in season 5 but it wasn't until late season 6 she carried a weapon and she had to take some tests before being able to carry a gun. And I cant also remember if Wendy in the original CSI ever carried a gun and I thought Molly did the same kind of work Wendy does.

4. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

So glad that someone sees H the same way as I do. I'd like to continue this subject, but it's not episode-specific, so I'm moving to the H thread.

5. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Ryan asked Molly if she was still doing target practice so she may be qualifying or is qualified to carry a weapon.

6. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

Lots of people see H the way you do. I'll see you on his thread :)

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Molly is a trace tech, Wendy was DNA. I don't recall Wendy ever having a gun though.

8. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Wendy didn't carry a gun,but she did want to become a CSI so had she stayed,we might have seen her carry a gun at some point.

Ryan asked Molly if she was still doing target practice so she may be qualifying or is qualified to carry a weapon.

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

This was a yawnfest. Way too much fighting scenes, barely any forensics except that scene with Molly in the field with a gun :rolleyes:. I don't buy it and it just seemed a contrived way for the sake of getting her to do the little experiment on the field. Bless Frank's soul for a glimpse of something worth watching in this episode aside from Calleigh's two seconds. One of the weakest, if not the weakest of the season, and that's saying a lot.

10. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^
    To each their own,it was a little different,but I liked it.
    I thought Calleigh's portion highlighted Tom being territorial again
    about the evidence,so that was the highlight of that scene for me,the continuity.

11. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

Definitely not one of the season's best, but then again nothing could top Hunting Ground and the final scene with H chasing that guy down with the shotgun... *sigh* :)

12. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

I guess I'm the only one who like ShakyCam, huh? It provides a more realistic energy for those action scenes that are supposed to be chaotic, but it doesn't always come across that way with smooth sweeping camera angles. For me at least. I actually liked this one, I'm a bit violent myself so I don't mind the fight scenes at all. But seeing Molly in the field annoyed the hell out of me for some reason. its like she really is only there to be Ryan's girl and not much else. Characters like that break my heart because the poor actors could do so much more and then they're reduced to a single description. Develop her a little more TPTB. Thought it was hilarious that Ryan said, "I fight crime...". That was just too cute.

Loved seeing Horatio behave so warmly with that guy and his wife. When was the last time we saw him actually act like a friend and not just a defender with a badge? I so wanted H to snap at Chris Titus about his cell phone. Biotch don't even think of talking about my cell phone like that! And Frank!! Oh how I love him!! For his screentime alone I'll give this episode a B+!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  13. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Certainly not one of the season's best. But then again, I'm of the opinion that with the exception of "Hunting Ground", most of this season has been a constant blur of suckage. And yet, I keep watching. :lol:

The shaky camera annoyed me. I have a pretty strong stomach (I've been known to eat ice cream or pizza while in line for a roller coaster at amusement parks), so the shaky camera didn't make me feel funny it was just annoying. But I can appreciate that it is more than just a little bothersome for others, and I'm certain the producers/director/whoever is in charge should've left it out.

Back to the split-screens? They're marginally (and it's a very slim margin, indeed) better than the shaky cam. I have one thing to say to those responsible for it, and it can best be described in picture form:

[​IMG]

Anyways, I really didn't like that Molly, a lab tech, went out into the field with a gun. I wouldn't have minded her there if it had been set up differently: with her in the car while Ryan and the uniformed cops clear the scene before bringing her out; or having just the patrol cops clear the scene before Ryan and Molly went to investigate the source of the lewisite.

Frank was great, as usual. I liked his way of comforting the dead guy's wife- it was very Frank to just put one hand on her shoulder instead of embracing her completely. He's not very touchy-feely, but his demeanor and actions still conveyed the sympathy he felt for her.

I still miss Calleigh. I suppose, on the bright side, that it was good that in her one scene, she recovered evidence that ended up being very important to the case. Without her collection of dirt in the guy's hair, they never would've found the lewisite, and in turn wouldn't have found Dante's hideout.

With the exception of Calleigh, screen time was fairly even for everyone. Maybe a little less of Tom, but that was to be expected, as the focus was on catching a specific, living fugitive instead of using a crime scene and a body to find an unknown criminal.

14. greatfan

greatfan Captain

The actress was slated for very few episodes.I wouldn't expect her to be developed. The recurring characters we saw more on a regular basis in the earlier seasons didn't have much development, why expect it of a character that so far has only been slated for 4 episodes.Maybe she was only there as a potential girlfriend.I get the feeling that perhaps the whole thing wasn't thought out.I smell another dropped storyline coming up.

15. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

I almost feel like Molly is a temporary replacement for Calleigh. Even though I enjoyed the Ryan/Molly scenes, I did have a hard time wondering why she was in the field. Also, it felt like they were filling time with the fight scenes because they didn't have enough good script to work with. I don't understand why they do this. They could have easily expanded the scenes with Ryan; e.g., instead of rushing through his knockout scene, we would have loved to see Tripp find him and help him back to his feet. Also they could have offered a better explanation of Molly and her goal of becoming a CSI. It seems again like the writers were lazy.