Episode 9x12 - 'Wheels Up' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Jan 15, 2011.

1. yen35

yen35 Witness

I like and totally agree with what you've said here about H. I don't know whats happening to him. In season 6, 'Kill a Predator' ( I think the episode was called), he dealt with that guy but that was done in an alright way and that was just a one off thing. Here, in this season, it has happened far too often for my liking.

The episode, plotwise, was overall OK. In the part of the world where I live, we don't have this sport, so I had to ask a friend overseas what the aim of the game was and things. But it was an interesting and reasonably well written episode and quite educational for me sport-wise!

I was pretty obsessed with Miami last year but now, my attentions are shifting more to NCIS which I started watching about 3 months ago and catching up fast. I will of course watch Miami as long as it airs but it doesn't hold the same interest for me anymore.

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

@ Court, I fully agree with you. :) I am one that hasn't given up on Horatio. I can't say I enjoy the run-around with all this, but like you, I too believe there's a reason for it & that TPTB aren't planning to take the character out this way. IMO, this is nothing more than a chapter in Horatio Caine's "story" & eventually (praying it's soon) TPTB will move him forward & away from all the gloom.

3. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I, personally don't think they've ever planned for him to become a villain (and all that it entails) but I think one of the reasons I have a problem with the storyline is that the writers tend not to follow through with their arcs (at least sufficiently to me) so I wouldn't be surprised if they simply drop it in favour of something else, like the NY angle or quickly resolve a couple things and leave the rest unanswered, a la Jesse's storyline.

Unless his actions from previous seasons will also come into question this season, I didn't see any reprimand (or anyone finding out) during the episode where it was implied that he worked over a child molester. And the episode name escapes me, but I'm sure some people remember when Horatio shot and killed a suspect who had 1) dropped his machete, therefore it ceased to be wielding at an officer and 2) he was on the ground, pretty much unarmed. Horatio could have kicked the machete away and controlled the situation, but he spat a one-liner and killed him because it's CSI:Miami and it looked cool.

Some might disagree with me on the latter being an example of unlawful conduct, but based on the first example, I'm not entirely convinced that he'll be called out on his behaviour just because we saw it and it seems to be the natural conclusion.

That being said, I'm hoping that if/when this arc concludes or comes to a precipice, they don't minimize his behaviour and sweep it under the rug because Horatio is on some kind of Holy Mission of Justice and the Baddies Deserve It. I'd prefer that he be knocked down a few pegs and face some kind of consequence, as the imperfect person and police officer he is so he can reflect and move forward. I like the character and I find this arc interesting, but I feel like it's been dragging and that's why I'm a bit weary of the direction it'll take. Either way, I'll be watching. :)

On the bright side, the scene definitely got us talking! :p

As for the rest of the episode, I enjoyed most of it. I think my favourite part was at the beginning when Eric and Natalia were trying to determine how the victim ended up where she was and what might have happened in the locker room. I found it engaging as their theories changed as the evidence was presented--it was just some good old fashioned CSI work, as opposed to the incessant interrogations. People will drag you all over the planet for the truth, the evidence by itself is a little more straight-forward and a lot more fun for me to watch. :p

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

This is exactly what worries me about what's happening with Horatio. The writers have proven time and again that they easily leave arcs hanging and lack continuity. There was absolutely no follow up on To kill a predator when it was implied that Horatio did something to the child molester. We speculated and a lot of us thought for sure that it was going to be brought up sooner or later, but it never was. I do hope this time it is different and it should be because it's happening way more often, but I can't say that I'm convinced they'll do something with it. Miami has a good record of doing stuff simply because it works for the one moment and then has no follow up, or because it looks dramatic or cool. I really do hope this time it's different.

5. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Not a good sign. Here is Matt Rousch's response from TV Guide:

6. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

I posted it in Spoiler thread :)

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I am a child of physical and verbal abuse every day of my childhood. I know what it's like to feel hopeless, helpless and alone. I know what it's like to try and run and hide, but there is no one to run to. I know what it's like to cry youself to sleep and hurt so bad you just want to die! I know that it's like to try and hide the belt marks and bruises from classmates so they won't guess I'm living in hell.

The physical as well as emotional ramifications last for the rest of your life. You're right. It does define how you choose to be as an adult and the relationships in your life.

But at some point you have to take control of your life and others become more important than you and your past. You decide to suck it up and get past the pity party. You have to decide if you're going to turn it around and use that life experience to become a better person.

I agree that dealing with abuse in your childhood is a lifelong process. My heart breaks when I see a child who has been abused, because I've been there. The sympathy and empathy I feel for those children knows no limit. I'm sure it's the same with the children of alcoholics.

But as I said, at some point you have to decide that you aren't going to let it rule you. You take your life back.

The writers on this show use Calleigh's alcoholic father as an excuse and I've seen endless posts that assign every misstep she makes to the fact that she's still dealing with being the child of an alcoholic. Again, at some point you have to stand up and take responsibility for your own actions and not let actions that you had no control over define you as a human being.

If they could show Calleigh making the decision to move on and asserting herself, like she did at the close of "Under the Influence", that might get my attention. Right now I see her using Duke's alcohol issues as a crutch and excuse for all her problems.

The writers are doing the same thing with Horatio. We're seeing all this "dark" persona and him doing things that are obviously something totally wrong for the character, and we're left to assume that it's because Marisol died (will that horrible storyline ever end! :scream:) Horatio ALWAYS had a sadness about him, but he channeled it into positive action. No more. Now, instead of shooting everyone who crosses his path, he just beats them up!

I don't excuse him at all for his actions. He's wrong. His childhood was apparently a nightmare (been there, done that) and he's suffered a substantial number of losses in his life. That is no excuse for his actions. What he's doing is on HIM and he needs to take responsibility.

The difference is that, once someone finally gets in Horatio's face and makes him see that the crap he's pulling is wrong, I don't see him blaming it on his childhood or the losses he's suffered. I see him saying he was wrong and taking responsibility. Just my take on the character - others are sure to disagree.

But they need to get a freaking psychiatrist on the payroll for this show if you're going to turn all your characters into a psychological mess!

Just my opinion. Others may differ. Disagreeing in a civil manner is what this county is supposed to be about. :)

They could have done some really remarkable things with both Calleigh and Horatio and their pasts. They elected not to. As a result I find Calleigh boring and, at this moment where they going with Horatio is really annoying the heck out of me!

For some, I'm sure your right. Just not me. You identify with Calleigh because it speaks to you. I get it. I just don't find her character sympathetic.

To each his own. I'm enjoying Calleigh in the background or gone while it lasts. I think Natalia is lead character material and would love to see her new-found screen presence continue.

Maybe they can find a way to make us both happy.

EDIT: Apologies for being so long-winded!

No flames here, sweetie. I agree with you completely.

Again, I totally agree. I just hope he's called on it sooner than later! :)

It's a double-standard, you're right. For some reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of sympathy for Horatio. Don't understand it myself, but I agree it would be nice if the character could be shown the same compassion and understanding as goes out to other characters. He does appear to have the more devasting childhood and to have experienced many more significant losses.

For some reason it appears to be more fun to be negative about him.

{snip outstanding synopsis of the sad events in Horatio's life]

Agreed. I keep hearing Rick demanding that Horatio get counseling! He was right and Horatio should have listened.

I agree! ;)

I agree (this is getting a bit repetitive... isnt' is? :lol:) I'm truly enjoying this season, if for no other reason that we are seeing the "TEAM" working together and Ryan, Natalia and Frank are coming out of the shadows and into the sun! It's truly a breath of fresh air and I'm going to enjoy every second while it lasts. (And hope it continues! :))

For this amazing post? Not a chance! ;)

8. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

We all need to step back and remember this is bizarro-Miami Dade PD. Police lieutenants are able to fly to Brazil and murder people, get extradited back there years later and kill seven more people, and somehow manage to make it back into the U.S., when their passport and credit cards would have presumably been confiscated. :D

The problem with badass-H is that the "police" and "procedure" in this police procedural show are non-existent. The boss is beating suspects, Delko is rarely collecting DNA, CD is too busy making up theories and not following evidence. Wolfe now barges into crime scenes, gun drawn like Dirty Harry. There's no crime scene investigation in CSIM anymore, save the opening minute with the coroner and some cop wisecracks from Frank.

9. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

IMO about throwing H to the wolves where others might get a pass...my reasoning is this. He's the leader of the lab and of the team. He's supposed to be leading the others and setting the example for them, not breaking the laws and putting them in positions where they have to lie, especially given the history Delko,Ryan and Natalia all have.
    Again with the Without A Trace comparsion, but it's only because it fits. Malone garroted a suspect and nearly killed him and punched another man right out in the police station. And in the very next episode, he proceeds to rip into one of his agents for putting the department at risk. The hypocrisy of it all made me quit taking the show seriously.
    And that is what's happening here. I'm sorry, the truth obviously has great leeway but it's insulting to the viewers to see H break the law week after week and suffer no reprucussions for it.

10. Court

Court Prime Suspect

We could go round and round about this ...

Okay, I can understand your argument that H is the leader and should be held to a higher standard. But he's still human. For years, people have complained about and made fun of "Super-H." Well, now he's human. He's hurting and really has no one he can turn to.

He can't turn to his team because he has to set the example. I mean, how many people would be comfortable with their boss unloading all of his/her personal problems on them? Sure, some could say he could go to Eric or Calleigh, but Horatio seems to be one of those people that won't open up to the people who are closest to him. But H and Calleigh haven't exactly been besties these last few years, and Eric sometimes appears a little too fragile to deal with other people's problems. Another example: Yelina. H kept her at arm's length for how many years?

I seriously, seriously doubt all of this craziness is going to simply go away. I don't necessarily trust the writers either, but these instances are consistent, not randomly spread over several seasons. Something is about to go down.

11. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

I hope you're right, there hasn't been an underlying storyline this season like usual. It'd be great if it were character related instead of action packed.

12. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

I'll NEVER give up on Horatio Caine! He's too multi-leveled and many faceted and fascinating a man and character to EVER give up on! I just want some resolution on this walk down the dark side as do many others! As, I've said in the past, I'm all for going back to NY, in order to deal with his past- perhaps that can be an CSI NY cross over (Mac is his friend and would surely help Horatio) and Rick could probably be worked in and have his day too-(I'll never believe that he turned "dirty").

13. Linda&Horatio

Linda&Horatio Witness

I agree with this statment and that of others here who will NOT give up on Horatio. I am worried about him though. He's in pain and for that I feel bad for him. But I also think as many of you do, that TPTB may, just may drop the storyline like it never happend. They do that sometimes. :rolleyes: :scream: THAT is my concern. I hope I'm wrong. I just hope it does lead up to something good and then it's settled once and for all. Or at the very least deal with this dark side and even if we don't get to see the backstory of how his mom died, then at least give H some much needed peace. But I and so many other fans want to know what the h**l happend in that experience in New York. Please TPTB listen to the fans!!!!! :eek::brickwall:

Thanks folks,
    Linda :)

14. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I have gotten more of an opportunity to read everyone else's posts than post one of my own, but now that I have time......

I liked the roller derby being the focus point. It was an okay episode, but again quite watchable.

Random Thoughts:

--Roller derby is rough stuff. Fun to watch though.

--Ryan: "That is the sexiest, scariest thing I've ever seen" and "That's not very professional" Both lines and his reaction to being punched made me laugh out loud. Jon has GREAT comedic timing.

--I am also glad Walter shut the announcer up. He was grating on my nerves. Oh, I use "geez louise" too:lol:

--My biggest thrill this season has been watching the team interact together in positive and fun way. They seem very comfortable with each other (they should; all of them but Walter has been together for awhile and Walter seems easy going and which has him fit right it). It is refreshing from the "every man for him or herself" that seemed to be the word of the day in the last few seasons.

--Gosh, Frank makes me laugh.

--Good to see both Mike Travers and Dave Benton in the same eppie:thumbsup:

--Thought the motive for murder was pretty creepy. Lucy seemed WAY too possessive.

--As for Horatio, I, like everyone, is rather concerned with the direction his character has taken. He acts like a man who has seen WAY too much and is getting fed up with it. He does things that are pushing the envelop and I fear that sooner or later he'll really cross that line. I have actually cringed and have felt very uncomfortable watching some of the things he's done this year. Horatio has always struck me as a solitary figure, one who isolates himself from everyone, which doesn't help now that he seems to be burning out. Who is he to turn to? I won't give up on Horatio; I would like to think this is leading to something but knowing these writers who start something and don't necessarily finish it--who knows if it will or end up in the trash heap with other story arc? We'll just have to see.

3/5

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  15. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

well I finally got to see this episode-liked alot of what others said-those funny moments and comments that the team makes..I was waiting for more emotion or reaction from Natalia when the subject of abusive relationships came into play but I can see she's removed herself from her painful past..maybe that's the hotpoint for Horatio-he's seeing his mama's own painful past in every girl who gets beaten by a boyfriend/husband and he lets it take over his violent actions...he's being pushed over the edge by his job and what happens to others..he's gone from victim empathy to losing himself in their lives..it's painful but I'm hoping he'll come to some epiphany or self realization..maybe that's where the writers are taking him? if only he had a balanced family life (his son home or maybe a love interest by now?) then he wouldn't take work so seriously..damaged H is one thing but broken H is another and I hope he doesn't go down that path..