Episode #617 - "To Kill A Predator" ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Wow - I think there are two topics here:

1. The "justice" system and what is justice.

2. Horatio - how his character deals out justice.

I'm more inclined to talk about this in regard to H's character, as opposed to my own personal beliefs on the justice system and whether it works.

Seeing Horatio go from a guy who wouldn't beat on a pedaphile that killed kids to a guy who LIES in order to dish out some kind of vengence (on a case where NO ONE in his personal life was directly affected) is just difficult for me. (Although I can somewhat see how he got there - I think I'm just annoyed w/the way the writers have dealt w/his character over the past 3 years.)

He used to be the hero of the show - everyone looked to him to see what was right. Remember what Eric said to Stetler in "After the Fall?", after he was intereviewed about the police brutality thing?

Stetler: "He's [Horatio] trained you well."
Delko: "He's trained me to tell the truth"

Now that's out the window - H had to LIE to give a reason for why the guy was beat up - I guess that pisses me off more than the fact that he actually beat on the guy. (I don't care that they "faded to black," you could definitely hear the scream - he did SOMETHING to him that was not good. So I don't think Horatio just handcuffed him and walked away :rolleyes: .)

The fact that David Caruso actually said in an interview that beating up criminals would land you in jail, and that's why they cut it out of "Inside Out" - that alone makes this a horrendous act, if only b/c he's putting his TEAM in jeopardy. As Cal said in "After the Fall," "Technically, Stetler could have you relieved of duty, and then we're all in big trouble."

I agree w/HoratiosStalker - H is definitely going over the edge here. Most everyone I talked to — whether they thought H's actions were "justified" or not — believe he CROSSED THE LINE as a police officer. When you're a cop, you're held to a HIGHER standard, and there needs to be repercussions for this - BIG TIME. You can't just throw serious stuff like this into an ep. and forget about it - that's just LAZY on the writers part! :wtf:

It certainly was a surprise to see H do that, so TPTB definitely got SHOCK value. :lol: It's just that I feel this is a betrayal of the entire team - whether or not his actions are justified. The repercussions could force IAB to look into the lab again, and possibly mean bad news for Eric, Cal or Ryan.
It's as if H doesn't care about his team anymore, and that makes me really sad :(

I mean, even DC said that if he roughed up LeBrock in "Inside Out" that would do more harm than good - that's true in this case too! Poor Cal is just coming back from a traumatic incident - what if she (again!) has to run the lab if H gets called out on this? It's not fair to her or the rest of the team. Someone needs to call H out on his behavior so he can somehow start the healing process. Maybe he just needs a hug or good cry:confused: (Now THAT would TRULY be SHOCKING! :eek:)

Last edited:
But haven't you, dogbert14, spent a few posts in this thread justifying Horatio's actions concerning the Gang Member he executed, by saying that as far as you're concerned the Gang member had deserved it?

In all honesty, that to me seems pretty forgivable of Horatio murdering someone.
I said in most cases. That man was a nefarious gang member. If it had been an innocent civilian who just happened to be there, then I would most certainly look at H the way you do now. I have to admit, H executing him did bother me for a couple of days, but after thinking about it for that long I've obviously reached a true opinion on the scene.

Not being funny, but if your aim is to want to solely protect the innocent, then what is stopping you from doing that now? Why do you feel the need to join a Law Enforcement Agency in order to simply protect the innocent?
Nothing is stopping me from protecting the innocent right now, but joining law enforcement makes me deal with criminals, sometimes murderers, on a nearly regular basis. As a civilian right now, I cannot arrest anybody and/or throw them in jail. As a cop, I obviously can. Simply put, becoming a cop helps me protect society more effectively.

Last edited:
It certainly was a surprise to see H do that, so TPTB definitely got SHOCK value. :lol: It's just that I feel this is a betrayal of the entire team - whether or not his actions are justified. The repercussions could force IAB to look into the lab again, and possibly mean bad news for Eric, Cal or Ryan.
It's as if H doesn't care about his team anymore, and that makes me really sad :(
This was exactly my though about what happened. It really could put the enitre team in troubles with IAB and let's say it's not good to have another problem. Each member has a problem and other stuff going on
-Eric...his constant problems due to the shot in his head.
-Ryan...the whole gambling stuff.
-Natalia a lot of troubles like the last year arrest or the constant problems she's having with guns.
-Calleigh.....let's say she's most unlucky person in the lab right after H:rolleyes:.
Another trouble for them to me is too much:(

Poor Cal is just coming back from a traumatic incident - what if she (again!) has to run the lab if H gets called out on this? It's not fair to her or the rest of the team. Someone needs to call H out on his behavior so he can somehow start the healing process. Maybe he just needs a hug or good cry:confused: (Now THAT would TRULY be SHOCKING! :eek:)
Oh gosh this is unfair....just unfair for everyone and as you said especially for Calleigh.
In my opinion after her incident she won't be able to replace H for a long time. It's sad to know that H won't be the only person to get in troubles for his actions :(

dogbert14 said:
As a civilian right now, I cannot arrest anybody and/or throw them in jail. As a cop, I obviously can. Simply put, becoming a cop helps me protect society more effectively.

Well, you're able to make citizen's arrests which is exactly what cops do but in an official capacity.

For the most part, the whole meaning of being a cop is to intervene by maintaining order, preventing/detecting and investigating crime (without pulling a 'Dirty Harry') and upholding the law with the best of one's ability. It doesn't mean "But when it suits you, take off the badge and do whatever you want however you want because he/she deserved it. To hell with an established system." Police officers don't have that luxury and shouldn't. Though I'm not dismissing that there is corruption on any level of 'law enforcement'. Even if the law is a bunch of mandates and rules on a piece of paper governed by a group of people who take it upon themselves to dish out justice in an ideally controlled and fair environment catering to both innocent and guilty, it stands whether we agree with it or not and whether or not it works.

And the reality is, Horatio took the law into his own hands after being represented previously as a man who believes and has faith in the system as well as being a part of an organized group of people who uphold the afforementioned system. Those were his morals as referenced in 'Forced Entry', 'Entrance Wound', 'Broken', 'Blood Brothers', 'Dispo Day', 'After the Fall', 'Body Count', 'Simple Man', 'The Best Defense', 'The Oath', etc. Just off the top of my head. Yes, he may have evolved and those ideals no longer drive him. If that's the case, I am a little disappointed because I've always admired a character--even people--with those ideals, but the fact that he's evolved this much adds more depth and edge to him, I will admit.

Though everyone has made excellent points all around, I still tend to agree with Della. *shrugs*

And by the way, welcome to the Miami forum, Iamthey. :)

Last edited:
If you don’t mind I am going to pick here and there from your last post. It may be out of order but I will try to supply the needed context.

If we look to history, not a 1000 years ago they tortured people in public, burnt them alive, and executed them for similar offenses. That was certainly an action by the state, would you say that’s just? Furthermore would you say that’s just while condemning the simple taking of justice into ones hand and beating up a pedophile who you know for certain committed a vile and heinous act against a minor?
First of all you are talking about laws that were around 1000 years ago. Admittedly such things still occur in certain parts of the world today, but I would hope not in Miami. I do know such things don’t occur in the UK. I would also hope that our laws today are far more civilised than those of a thousand years ago.
To begin you have mis-understood my point here and that is law itself is arbitrary, and does not constitute any true system of ethics, or morality; or at the very least it does not constitute a system of ethics which can be universally applied. Law is ultimately just the common opinion of the moment what the people of today think is right or wrong, but as I pointed out earlier 1000 years ago actions which were legal and committed by the state would be horrible heinous acts of abuse today. But you missed the point, illegality does not mean immorality nor does legality mean morality. Take the notion of revolution, while we would all say the American revolution was justified, it was most certainly not justified in the minds of the British living at the time. Additionally we would say that the actions of the British were technically legal while we would also say that they were from our perspective immoral/unethical, or unjustified. Furthermore in almost every case revolution is illegal within the country it is being committed for it is the literal act of dissolving the system of laws themselves, and committing rather violent acts in achieving this end. The point of my argument is that illegal acts can be justified, and the can be moral, and that the law is in no way perfect nor is it universally applicable as some grand system of morality or ethics.

On this point going back to the colonists there is a common philosophical/sociological concept that would apply here and that is the classical notion of the social contract. Both John Locke’s and Thomas Hobb’s contract would be applicable here. Locke says that the government exists to protect an individual’s live liberty and property, and that if it fails to do this unilateral action on the part of the individuals living under the contract is necessary. Thomas Hobbs says that the government exists to protect the life of the individuals living under it. Meaning that if the state fails to uphold this end and doesn’t maintain security then it too can be violated on the part of the individual or nation living within the state to ensure that such action is upheld. This is the foundation of the American government. Jefferson plagiarized John Locke nearly word for word.

Furthermore personal morality and ethical systems can be adjusted to fit the current circumstances of a situation for that is the very purpose for the assumption of moral autonomy, and rationality. That we can make on the spot moral decisions and judgments assessing whether or not what we are about to do will be ethical or unethical.

Brining back my original point on this that the people running the government making the laws, and deciding the trials are potentially corrupt, and based on H’s perspective he probably feels the same. Meaning that he may have made the moral judgment on his part that the state wasn’t doing its part to protect the life of this individual (the victim), and thusly it was his prerogative to assert the due punishment upon the criminal who he witnesses, and without a doubt knew was guilty of said crime. That is another aspect to be noted there is no doubt he is not innocent which means that this person convicted or not committed the act and was due retributive punishment the agent whether an individual or state actor is irrelevant.

What does bemuse me though is why you are using history as a quantification of why you appear to feel that the laws of today are failing? Shouldn’t we actually be looking at what transpired in our History and be learning from that, and then actually admit that perhaps with these laws that do govern us now, we are a bit more civilised now than we were back then?
I do not think there is really a sliding scale of civility, we may hold our laws are more civilized than another set, but its ultimately irrelevant to the context of this discussion. Civility is a matter of qualitative, and subjective judgment your own opinion based on that which you have experienced, learned, and deduced. It has no objective bearing or truth its just what we believe to be the case. 100 years from now another society may hold itself to be more civil, or correct than ourselves and that will be their opinion.

Additionally civility may not even be the true goal that we should be trying to reach it is just a system of measurement and a socially constructed way for us to justify our legal system versus other alternatives. Its just something that allows us to say we are better. Perhaps the correct alternative is to be as brutal as possible, or to re-inact the crime exactly as it was committed. Or to simply eliminate all crime, meaning to execute all criminals for any reason. It makes no difference our way of examining such things is as I said earlier arbitrary.

Now, judging by some of the comments I’ve read in this thread and elsewhere, I think some might opt for the “eye for an eye” and go seek their own form of justice. So, say you go and do that, which will also be taking the law into your own hands, and you go murder a member of their family. Well, once you’ve done that, what’s to stop them from opting for the same option and avenge their family member’s death by murdering another member of your family? ...and so on and so on, until all members of both families are pushing up daisies.

Would you be willing to risk the annihilation of all your family members, or would you rather know that the remaining members of your family are safe from the ones who initially committed a murder because they have been dealt with by the law? I know which one I would prefer.
First of all you do not understand the purpose or the reasoning behind retributive justice. Retributive justice is based on the idea that justice is a matter of balance, contending that within society humans have the capacity to commit actions which have negative and positive value. Value which inherently determines the “worth” of the person who is committing said action. At birth a human is a neutral in value meaning they have not been a positive actor nor a negative actor. So if you want to say that “why don’t we just kill children then they haven’t been a positive help”. The reason we don’t is for A) They haven’t committed an action lowering their value, and B) We already do its called abortion. Moving on though as we live and experience live value is accrued, another important notion to note is that even in death a person still retains value which is a reason why we mourn the dead. However when a crime is committed against a person it is a symbolic act on the part of the criminal actor making the claim or statement that they have more value than the actor they are committing the action against, and an inherent action on their part of taking value from another individual. In order to restore the rightful position of the victim, as well as keep balance it is the place of justice to inflict relative retributive action against the criminal thusly taking away their undue value, and restoring it to the harmed victim. This is done in their name, and for them. That is the notion of retribution. So in instances of the death penalty, and individual by killing another is asserting their holding that they are “worth two people” and thusly deserve that persons life. Therefore the place of the state or the actor of justice is to kill that murder thusly restoring the value of the victim, and removing the undue value of the murder. Not doing this is basically saying that the criminal is more valuable than the victim of the crime, and thusly we can’t kill him because he was rightful in his actions.

Now if your question is what is the point of all that how does it relate? It relates in that the actor of justice doesn’t have to be the state only that they are acting in the place of the victim, and in their name to reattribute against the criminal. H by acting as he did was acting for the victim against the criminal who raped her thusly he can’t be held accountable, and it would be another unjust act on the part of the criminal to reattribute against the victim or H again because the balance has already been restored.

These are important questions you need to ask yourself, what made the government the sole moral actor when it comes to criminal law, and what made them so pure on that matter than any one else compromising that system is just as bad as the criminal they are punishing? Was it not four months ago that a judge if Vermont gave a pedophile twenty days in prison? Was that justice? Everyone has the capacity to be corrupt, especially the government.
As said earlier, this is not an ideal world we live in and that’s because Humans are corruptible, but then not all humans are corrupt, or corruptible. Besides, in your example, it wasn’t the law that was corrupt, it was the official in Vermont who was. So, in my opinion, to disband the laws of the land, as I think you wish would happen, simply because a few have been corrupted would, in my opinion, be committing Social suicide.
Ok on your whole “this isn’t an ideal world” point. Yes its not but that is the very purpose of making law my friend should we not strive to make the world the best that it can be (in our own perspective of course). Therefore I would pose that we should have a certain degree of idealism about us, that we should attempt to achieve some level of perfection, because if it is “perfect” why not strive for that goal. I don’t think its that much to ask that politician do their job, or at least serve the higher cause of those who elected them before their own personal greed. Additionally I don’t think its a lot to ask that a judge consider the general reality of the case rather than the inconsequential details and technicalities of the law and the case itself. Wouldn’t you agree?

Furthermore if we are just going to say “the worlds not perfect lets give up” they why the hell do any of this. Why have any justice system, or any law, or any system of ethics or morality. Why not just leave everyone to their brutish, and horrible state of nature?

To begin with the question what makes a judge, jury, or executioner special, what gives them the special privilage to dictate justice. Is a local bystander who is also familiar with the law not capable of judging, and determining fair retribution? Additionally isn't a jury itself just a bunch of citizens unfamiliar with the law.
Isn’t that what we have now? Isn’t a Judge a local bystander who is supposedly knowledgeable of every quarter of the law? Isn’t he the one who determines an appropriate sentencing in accordance to the crime that has been committed?

A member of the jury is not required to know the law, and shouldn’t be required to know the law because they are not there to determine an appropriate sentence according to the laws of the land, they are there to determine whether the man or woman is innocent or guilty of the crime they have been accused of and they are also members of the public who are, or should be, impartial to the crime that has been committed. In other words they are not emotionally involved with the person who may or may not have committed the crime and also the prosecutors.
Two things, First they actually they aren’t; in our society we have elevated these individual above that of a normal individual. These individuals are granted, and given the special power of determining truth, more so in the case of a jury, than in the case of a judge. A jury is a group who determine guilt or innocence meaning they determine history, and what occurred. Additionally this occurs separate and outside of what actually happened. Meaning they don’t really know a thing, yet they are given the authority that should be idealistically given to an individual who witnessed, and was onsite for they are the only ones who really know “beyond a reasonable doubt what happened”. But this is not the case instead they get to decide what “actually happened” and thusly if the government is to take action or not. If a criminal is truly guilty and is made to be innocent then the balance has yet to be restored and anyone would be justified in taking action in the name of the victim. My point with this was that these individual are merely that individuals by nature, and thusly are no more qualified to make the call than you or me. Yet they are given the literal authority to re-write history to be what ever they want if they choose to do that. As for the case of a judge, in the instance where the judge determines guilt or who wins in the case, this is also an arbitrary, and ultimately unqualified decision that is no more just or unjust than my own or your own judgment.
My point was that just because you vest authority, and such significant distinction in these people doesn’t make their decision the just or moral one.

Secondly if you concede that they are just normal people then who cares about law anyway or justice its all just the opinion of normal people making my opinion just as valid as a juror, or a judge. Why can’t I be judge, jury, and in distributor of punishment?

The law should never be deemed as meaningless, especially when it comes to a law Enforcement Officer.

Let me ask you a question, why do you think Horatio chose to become a Law Enforcement Officer?
Clearly because at the time he felt that the law was the correct, moral, and right distribution of justice. However I said earlier that moral conceptions are dynamic, and constantly change based on our experiences, current external stimuli, and in short the circumstances of the situation. H might have changes his ethical system right then and there for this situation in which case he would resume his old system afterward. This means that he wouldn’t be working as a cop under these false pretenses you suggested. Additionally he might not have changed his moral system at all, and simply had that caveat within his system that allowed him to violate law something that would normally be immoral to him, and instead give a pedophile a beating, before hauling him into the station. You are making his moral system too general, and too sweeping. I can be a cop yet still disagree with certain legal actions and opt to have certain instances where I will take the law into my hand rather than go through the normal channels. This doesn’t mean I general don’t agree or want to enforce the law it just means in that one instance I believe I have a moral obligation to violate the law, and enforce what I believe, and hold to be justice. (Note I am not a cop if you were worried about the rest of my analysis of the law lol.)

Additionally I would say that the law hasn’t been rendered meaningless it is still enforce just not in its traditional sense. The intent of law is justice, the end is the same, then intent is righteous the means don’t matter. Furthermore I would say means can’t even be measured without resorting to simple dogmatism (un-warranted claim, and assumption based notions of right or wrong possessing no real bearing in rationality or reason), and that deontology, and consequentially only consider intent, and the ends of an action, so H isn’t acting immoral anyway because there is no way to really measure it determine it.

In my opinion, the laws of the land are a set of standards that prevents the innocent from being persecuted, murdered (such as the Paediatrician), beaten, physically abused, stalked, etc, etc, etc.
Lastly an observation on the innocent until proven guilty point. You can take what I just said about a jury acting on false authority, and add to that, that H witnessed the act, and that there is ultimately no doubt that the individual is guilty. Meaning this argument holds no ground in this debate, and shouldn’t even be part of it.

And by the way, welcome to the Miami forum, Iamthey.

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Horatio witnessed the guy coming into the house and the guy actually admitted that he was there for that reason but then after he decided to lie and say "I didn't do anything wrong". If Horatio does get hit-up on this, that girl will have to be a witness and Wolf is also somewhat of a Witness since he knew where Horatio was going at the time.

Now, next monday I think something else is going to be happening and it wont be on Horatio, it will be on Calleigh. Calleigh and the team were able to put those 2 guys away. Now lets just wonder what happens to Calleigh after she went through all that crap and at the same time those guys don't get sentenced because we all know that, that can actually happen and it has in the past.

Now Calleigh see's that those guys got let go but later finds out what Horatio did. I believe Calleigh is ready to do something about justice. That right there would make perfect sense for the show (I think I said that before though so I might be repeating myself....good typing practice at least). lol

It's obvious that, that whole episode is about justice and I think it's a hint on what's to come. Something is going to happen and I will bet it's going to involve Calleigh and how justice in her mind might switch for that exact moment.

Now someone brought up Innocent until proven guilty. Let's go back to Horatio's last scene shall we :). "innocent until proven guilty" makes perfect sense here. If he resists arrest the guy is not innocent until proven guilty anymore. He was at the scene and so was horatio and once he said "lets see how long that lasts" which means he doesn't want him to go through that whole innocent until proven guilty. If that guy resists in which Horatio wants him to do just that, he is guilty period for attacking a police officer unless someone comes forward (the girl) but maybe she will back him up.

Last edited:
Now someone brought up Innocent until proven guilty. Let's go back to Horatio's last scene shall we :). "innocent until proven guilty" makes perfect sense here. If he resists arrest the guy is not innocent until proven guilty anymore. He was at the scene and so was horatio and once he said "lets see how long that lasts" which means he doesn't want him to go through that whole innocent until proven guilty. If that guy resists in which Horatio wants him to do just that, he is guilty period for attacking a police officer unless someone comes forward (the girl) but maybe she will back him up.

Agreed!

Anyway not to mean anyone here and disrespect, and I hope I don't step on anyone's toes, if I do I apologise beforehand. But I was thinking let's get back to bascis shall we? I mean I think this thread had to one of the longest or most hotly debated in a long time for a single epy.

At the end, why are we doing so? IMO me, tptb wanted controversy with a cliffhanger, and that's what they achieved. So we could debate about this till the cows come home, but since we're all diverse there's no way we'll all completely agree with each other's POV.

So why are we watching this show again? For me it's to be entertained, and I still am, very entertained. If it bothers some of us that much, then maybe it's time to throw in the towel and stop watching. For those of us who aren't bothered or not so bothered by it then we should keep watching. Whatever makes you happy.

surely, but thats the fun about this. No one here can really understand why he did, we all have really good guesses but that is about it. This episode made most of us delve deep into CSI: Miami's later episodes. I don't think any of us are really trying to have people agree. I mean let's face it, if we all agreed this whole thread would have been done after 1 page, of course there is no fun in that. But get something like what we saw on TV and not everyone agreeing is what makes it so great. People like to debate, people always have but it depends on what the debate is about in order for a person to like the debate.

I say, keep the debates going, and make them go strong because this is just awesome. LOL

Hrockz said:
Anyway not to mean anyone here and disrespect, and I hope I don't step on anyone's toes, if I do I apologise beforehand. But I was thinking let's get back to bascis shall we? I mean I think this thread had to one of the longest or most hotly debated in a long time for a single epy.

At the end, why are we doing so? IMO me, tptb wanted controversy with a cliffhanger, and that's what they achieved. So we could debate about this till the cows come home, but since we're all diverse there's no way we'll all completely agree with each other's POV.

So why are we watching this show again? For me it's to be entertained, and I still am, very entertained. If it bothers some of us that much, then maybe it's time to throw in the towel and stop watching. For those of us who aren't bothered or not so bothered by it then we should keep watching. Whatever makes you happy.

I found it quite refreshing to read everyone's point of view. :) Plus, I still enjoy the show despite having reservations about some aspects of it. One doesn't have to hate the show in order to have a debate and vice versa. Also, if we all agreed all the time, this forum would become pretty stagnant, like Bigdog stated.

That said, Misc. might be a much more suitable home now for discussing the history of law/police brutality/justice/corruption/politics on its own; Though I can understand one's need to use such facts to support one's views on the episode itself--otherwise, again, it's more Misc. material. ;)

Last edited:
I am not trying to get off topic but I just need to know something. What happened to the judge that Horatio almost put away. Later on the judge said something like "i'll pay you back for this" and he did while letting loose a criminal, just to get back at Horatio. So what has happened to that judge since we all know he's a crook/corrupted/etc etc.

I do wish the writers would RESEARCH better, the publics misconception of what pedophilia is, is bad enough, but this episode didn't help. There is a HUGE difference between sexual predators and pedophiles. Pedophiles don't go after teenage girls, they are too old. A true pedophile is attracted to PRE-pubescent children. As soon as pubic hair or any other signs of puberty hits...then they completely lose interest. This is much much worse than older men being attracted to a 15 year old girl. A sexual predator is usually men who take advantage over women for sex, by using power and manipulation. That is one of the reasons they choose younger females...because they have the bodies of adults, but are innocent and easier to manipulate. But they are NOT pedophiles. It isn't unusual for men to be attracted to young females, it might not be appropriate, but not pedophilia.

Also, why do they have to show females to be so stupid? I used chat rooms at that age..i knew there could be some older men trying to sleep with me. Not stupid, i knew not to give out personal info. Jeeze...not all girls are dumb as bricks.

Finally after perusing all the comments on this board someone said something that makes a good deal more sense. Too many people are all up in arms about H's alleged (we never saw nor heard it) beating up of the computer geek with the wine coolers and nobody else talked about this particular fact.

In many states/provinces, the age of sexual consent ranges from 14 to 16. While some girls and boys in that age range are innocent and easily manipulated, there are quite a few that would and do hook up with older adults quite willingly for a variety of reasons (i.e. mommy/daddy issues, getting better gifts/dinners than they can from someone in their age group, true love, simply sexual pleasure or other such things). When I was in high school, I knew a 15 year old girl that was dating a 30 year old man WITH HER PARENTS' BLESSING. The got married during her senior year of high school and she had a baby about 5 months after she graduated. Believe it or not they are still married to this day (22 years and she just turned 40!).

While I am not someone that necessarily advocates May-December romances, I have been in a few with older women when I was younger. I am almost 40 now, but when I was 15 I had a realtionship with a 23 year old woman for a time. When I was 26, I was involved with a 36 year old woman. When I was 28, I was involved with a 39 year old woman for a time as well. I do realize that out of all these relationships, the only one that would have raised any eyebrows of the law would have been that relationship I had at age 15.

Of course today, that 23 year old woman could be convicted as a sexual predator for being involved with me, but back during that era, parents might not have approved, but society's attitude was more like "He's a man now, eh?" The thing is, I was not coerced, seduced, tricked or taken advantage of in that relationship. I chose to get into that relationship of my own volition and I think it would have been wrong of the courts to go after that woman when I was the one that made that choice. Still, I didn't tell my parents about that relationship at the time I was in it becuase I know that they wouldn't have approved and my mom would have probably gone ballistic on the woman.

Now, as the father of 2 kids whom I love dearly, I have a better understanding of how and why parents would go ballistic on an older adult getting involved with their teenager in that manner. Still, unlike some parents who have NO CLUE as to what their kids are up to, I make it my business to know what their doing and try to keep an open dialogue between me and my kids.

My daughter is 6 (and very beautiful, which makes me worry about those that do go after pre-pubescent girls) and my son is 3. I can easily visualize them both as being very attractive teenagers that might attract the attention of an adult. While I am going to do my best to make sure my kids know about appropriate and inappropriate touching, relationships and what not, I also have to face the fact that it is probable that after my daughter passes through puberty, she is going to want to be intimate with a young man who may be her same age or possibly a little older. Same thing with my son once he's gone through puberty as well, but with a young woman.

I do not allow the kids email accounts or instant messenger use on the computer. My son is just learning to read and my daughter can read, but is just learning to type, but even after they do, I will not allow them a cell phone or chat/IM access until they are 15, but under another restriction: I have admin access to the computer they will do this on and will also via the service back up all their chat logs to know what they are up to and will check on it regularly. If some inapprorpiately older man (i.e. a 40 year old) is chatting nasty with my 16 year old daughter, I would probably report it to the cops and they could nail his butt,a nd my daughter and I would have a LONG TALK. If it were some 19 year old young man, I would still not be happy about it, and I would still have a long talk with her, but it would be less discomforting for me as a dad.

I would also want her to tell me what she was really wanting out of a relationship with a boy or man in general and to tell me WHY she wanted that--i.e. is it her own reasons or did this guy just put some ideas into her head? Does she say she wants this because she feels she owes the guy something for taking her out to some nice dinners or is it because she feels actual chemistry? Even further, has she thought about the long term impact of such a relationship on her hopes/dreams she's working towards? What if there is an unexpected pregnancy or if she catches an STD?

Also the law varies in different states/provinces as well. In Florida, those men caught on TV get shamed but they can't be arrested because there was no minor girl present there for them to actually violate. In those states, those men could easily sue that TV station and those reporters for entrapment/defamation of character/libel and actually win cash judgements against those that staged the report.

In Houston, TX, where I live, the law is based more on the intent of the person in question rather than on whether the person was real or fake, so the police could arrest and prosecute the guy. Stephen Dean http://www.click2houston.com/newsteam/524031/detail.html on Channel 2 here in Houston ran such a sting operation in conjunction with the Houston police department, as opposed to that that TV station in Miami did on TKAP. He was specifically posing as someone that was pre-pubescent (not a 14 year old or older) and they got film of man afer man showing up expecting to hook up with an 11 or 12 year old girl. HPD busted every one of those guys. One of them even brought his 3 year old son along to go play in another room while he would be hooking up with that young a girl. In a word EEEWWWW!!!! http://www.internetpredatorsbook.com/

Just recently in Texas, the raid at the FLDS compound in El Dorado has brought to light the actions of an odd religious sect and their practices, which include having POST-pubescent females married to older men. It has caused a HUGE debate on the Houston Chronicle website because the raid was prompted by a crank call from a woman in Colorado Springs. The State of Texas is going on and on, along with some posters calling those men pedophiles, but again, most of those celestial brides were 14 or older (post-pubescent) and many have said they willingly entered into those marriages. Many people who are revolted at the thought of polygamy and younger women getting with older men are still very concerned because it appears the State of Texas and Child Protective Services have wiped their collective butts with the 4th Amendment, which guarantees protection from unreasonable arrest, search and siezure.

There are a number of constitutional lawyers that are saying that this could end up in the US Supreme Court and it is highly likely all those kids taken away from the compound will be sent back and the State of Texas may be on the hook for a multimillion dollar lawsuit due to the fact that the raid was based upon a false report and because every one of those brides or women with kids has been adamant that they entered into those relationships willingly.

The question that has never been adequately answered on these kinds of cases is how young is too young to give consent to an intimate relationship? Each state and province has its own laws and they vary widely. Also, are the actions of TV stations like the one in this episode or Stephen Dean entrapment or are they a good way to catch people that may commit crimes in the future or who already have committed such crimes that have been unreported? Are we going to live in the world of Minority Report now where we will be arrested for potential crimes we *might* commit and risk getting our butts (allegedly) kicked by a cop claiming we're resisting arrest? These are some hard questions that have come out of this episode for me and I have no easy answers.

Sorry if this post blathered on too long.

Last edited:
I have yet to hear about a state that says it's legal for a 14 yr. old to go out with an adult, no way. it's 16 years old but if the person that is going out with a 16 year is an adult of a CERTAIN age range then it's fine, if that age doesn't meet the required age range then it's stachatory rape.

My girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years. I am 27 and she is 38, I have yet to see eyebrows raised because of my age and hers.

The reason for why they call it pedophile even at the age of 14 is probably because puberty hits in different ages for everyone and 14 is one of them. I'm seriouse when I say some women don't hit it until 14. regardless it's considered being a pedophile having sexual relations with a 14 year old. Yes, each state and province has it's own laws to a certain point. 16 is the youngest, even in florida. there is still no state or province where it's lowered to 14.

^ I heard that in Missouri, the age of consent is 14 but with some exceptions. :shrug: Don't quote me on that though. Other sources say 16, others 17. This site states many more states with consent ages starting at 14. It may have been ammended to strictly one age since that information was posted. (since I don't know when it was posted, and because sometimes it depends on the type of sexual act.) Here in Canada, the age of consent used to be 14 (in 2006) until about March of 2008 where it changed to 16.

Even so, I believe they said in another episode that someone in Florida at the age of 16 is allowed a partner up to the age of 23? (It appears to be true) This Lou Durning guy seemed to be older than 24 to me, which is why it would be illegal in the first place. (The actor who plays Durning was born in 1971, so I don't think they expected him to play a 23/24 year old...but who knows, maybe they did. :lol:)

Hankster said:
Also, are the actions of TV stations like the one in this episode or Stephen Dean entrapment or are they a good way to catch people that may commit crimes in the future or who already have committed such crimes that have been unreported? Are we going to live in the world of Minority Report now where we will be arrested for potential crimes we *might* commit and risk getting our butts (allegedly) kicked by a cop claiming we're resisting arrest? These are some hard questions that have come out of this episode for me and I have no easy answers.

Exactly. That's the one aspect about this episode that I liked--there are no easy answers for this type of situation and it really forces one to think.

Last edited:
Here in Serbia, we have two age-lines, 14 and 18. If one of the sexual partners is younger then 14 and the other is older it`s illegal, and it`s the same thing if one of the people is younger then 18 and other is older. Of course, no one will charge you if you are 18 or 19 and your boyfriend/girlfriend is 16 or 17. I have a friend who is 17 and her ex-boyfriend is 34 and they didn`t have any problems... To be honest, I`ve never actually heard about someone being sued for sleeping with a minor, here in Serbia, if the sex was consensual (I`m talking about 14-18 minors).

I have yet to hear about a state that says it's legal for a 14 yr. old to go out with an adult, no way. it's 16 years old but if the person that is going out with a 16 year is an adult of a CERTAIN age range then it's fine, if that age doesn't meet the required age range then it's stachatory rape.

My girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years. I am 27 and she is 38, I have yet to see eyebrows raised because of my age and hers.

The reason for why they call it pedophile even at the age of 14 is probably because puberty hits in different ages for everyone and 14 is one of them. I'm seriouse when I say some women don't hit it until 14. regardless it's considered being a pedophile having sexual relations with a 14 year old. Yes, each state and province has it's own laws to a certain point. 16 is the youngest, even in florida. there is still no state or province where it's lowered to 14.

When I was growing up the age of consent in Lousiana was 15, o r 14 with parents permission. It's now 16 there. However, there were many states that until very recent years had an age of consent below 16.

My point is not that I want some old creep going after my daughter--I clearly do NOT. My point is that there are many people age 14 to 16 that are sexually active, and some choose to be with partners that are a good deal older than they are. Many of these 14-16 year olds do know EXACTLY what they are getting into, so just saying "It's the law and that's all there is to it" is ignorant. True pedophiles want to have sexual encounters with PREPUBESCENT CHILDREN. The men in this episode were NOT PEDOPHILES because those young women were clearly post-pubescent. The term for those men is DIRTY OLDER MEN.

By the way, In North America and Western Europe, many girls enter puberty at ages 10 to 12--a bit earlier than in some Eastern European countries and in Asia. Some people blame hormones in milk or meat, but it could be due to any number of factors. Back during the later 1800s, many girls didn't enter puberty until age 16. A lot of variance from era to era.

The thing is, those guys could very easily argue they were victims of entrapment by that TV station and the laws in Florida wouldn't allow their arrest. In Texas, they would be arrested, but if the person was posing as a 16 year old, it would be hard to prosecute since that is the age of consent in Texas. If the young woman testified she was willing, then that DIRTY OLDER MAN would get off scott free and not have to register as a sex offender. Something to think about here in any case.

Back