Episode #608: 'Permanent Vacation' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Della

Della Police Officer

Re: Episode #608: 'Permanent Vacation' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Pusher Not being funny but first off, when someone claims to smack a rhetorical question in the midst of some somewhat meaningful opinions, I do wonder if perhaps all of what you have to say has a rhetorical edge to it.

...and second, how can you take someone's words too literally? They either are or are not what you meant, and if they aren't what you meant, then what exactly did you mean?

Also, the points you raise, aren't really in conjunction with the point that I was making. In my opinion, you seem to spend your time knocking the Horatio character in a way that bares no relation to what I was saying in the first place.

When all is said and done, how you view the Horatio character is definitely different to how I view him, and to be honest with you, neither point can be debated to a satisfactory conclusion because you see Horatio one way and I see him in another way.

Also, I disagree with your opinion as to what level of intensity some of the audience watches CSI Miami. I have the impression that you think all of us watch it as if it is true to life and what not, when, to be honest, at least from my POV, I watch it because it is fun and exciting.

The only thing that I ask of CSI Miami, with any seriousness whatsoever, (and to be honest any program/film that I watch) is that they keep to the character establishments they have introduced throughout the past 5 and a bit Seasons, that they make sure that the continuity is accurate and that any inter-departmental romances are either kept to a minimum, such as giving them a 'b' storyline status, or, more peferable, that they are left to the writers of fanfic.

Other than that, whatever they want to bring on, then by all means, bring it on. As long as it is fun and entertaining, and they keep to the above, then I'll keep switching my brain off, picking up a carton of popcorn and watching to my heart's content :)

DaWacko - That scene did make me grind my teeth but not for the same reason it did for you - chuckle. I honestly don’t care if Horatio can afford the house or not, it wasn't and still isn't an issue with me. What I objected to rather strongly was that, as someone else mentioned previously, it seriously damaged Horatio's integrity, and that really is the core of the character for me, and that's why I was really pissed off with that scene :D

MiamiRocks - I think you've mentioned a couple of times now about Horatio and his avenging Mariol's death, that it was completely out of character for you and how it really made you grind your teeth.

The way I look at that is that given certain circumstances everyone is capable of seeking and administering their own revenge. In my opinion, if someone who has just murdered the most important thing in your life is ther in front of you, and if you're still in the raw grieving period, I think you will want to inflict as much pain on them as they have inflicted on you. It's human nature, in my opinion.

In all honesty, I think the thing that tipped Horatio over the edge was finding out that the Feds had made a deal with Riaz – that and also the place where he was informed of that, which was at Marisol's grave. Horatio had found his closure and could grieve, but all of a sudden he didn't have that anymore.

Then with Ray dying in such a horrible way and that Ray Jnr was in serious danger of losing his life, all of this happening in quick succession, I honestly could understand him killing Riaz in the manner that he did, the most personal manner of all, with a knife.

However, the way Horatio looked afterward said it all for me. It wasn't a look of pleasure, that he'd eradicated the man who had murdered his wife and brother, he actually looked ill to me and that, for me, was at the core of Horatio pulling away from his team during S5, because he had killed a man out of pure revenge and with that sacrificed a piece of himself in doing so, the part of him that always sought justice.

In my opinion, I think you're right in that given any normal circumstances, it was very much an out-of-character thing for Horatio to have done, but, for me, if an out-of-character moment can be explained so that the action that is taken is understandable, then I never complain. I only grind my teeth when it isn't understandable and that’s why Horatio’s deal at the end of ‘Permanent Vacation’ really pissed me off, because there wasn’t anything fuelling Horatio’s penchant need to make the deal that he did, and so, as far as I could see, Horatio sacrificed his integrity without good reason at all.

Hope that makes sense :)

:)

2. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Exactly, and therefore it's probably best to agree to disagree and move on.

While this discussion has been interesting and well thought out, I think maybe it's time to move on, as we are in a sense veering off-topic in some respects (in relation to the episode 'Permanent Vacation'). If anyone would like to start a new thread to discuss the inconsistencies of Horatio Caine's character, please feel free to do so. :)

3. Della

Della Police Officer

My apologies Lucy. I tried really hard to keep things on topic, but couldn't quite manage it ...Sorry... :)

:)