Episode #510 'Come As You Are' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

I thought it was a pretty good ep. Some good, heartfelt emotions in it, and I didn't see/feel any overt disrespect intended towards the military, and I also come from a military family. Yeah, Horatio & Co. were definitely out of their jurisdiction at the end after the crime scene suddenly grew to encompass Iraq, which one of the suspects pointed out in the show. And the killer truly did a botch-up by assuming nobody would notice the blood not far from the crime scene (or the drag marks from his feet). But I didn't find that too distracting I guess, even in my overly exhausted state last night; I'm used to the CSI franchise asking me to suspend my belief on a rather regular basis :lol:

I enjoyed the montage at the end; yes it was longer than what they usually do with that sort of thing, but it was meant to establish a specific feeling and emotion, and I think they accomplished that nicely. Plus I love Mr. Cash. :)

Re: Nick/Valera/Natalia, hard to tell where that one is going to lead. Surely Valera has already heard snippets of gossip about Nick's reputation, but she has obviously chosen to judge him on her own, instead of by what she has heard. Admirable on the one hand, but possibly foolhardy or downright dangerous, on the other hand, if what Natalia has said about him is indeed wholly true. I agree with whomever said above, I think Nick is Mr. Charm face to face, but a controlling, manipulative bastard behind the scenes. We shall see, though.

TylerDalton said:
Maybe I was over-reacting about the disrespect of the military but I'm just a little sick and tired of the media using TV shows to push their agenda recently.

I thought the episode showed the reality of war, more than push any agenda.

I actually found that episode pretty good. I've been so interested in military and marines. But once again, I think they're rushing episodes.

I'm almost worried for Valera but I'm not. It is nice to know she'll probably be showing up more.

Ryan's lame comback about being "frosty" was memorable.

I thought this episode was rather good. I was dissapointed with the lack of Valera (again), but overall, I actually enjoyed the episode. I found it very emotional, and said emotions were played very well.

_ransom said:
Ryan's lame comback about being "frosty" was memorable.

I didn't think it was lame, I thought it was the best line of the episode. Way to go Ryan! :) Certainly better than Horatio's one-liner about the war being staged but the murder being real.

I, personally liked the episode. It was far better than anything in season four (in my opinion) and it dealt with some pretty sensitive subject matter, but was pulled off tastefully.

A great part was the tribute to the 'fallen soldier' and his funeral at the end of the episode. Definitely the highlight for me, and this was one of the few episodes that ended on a slightly lighter note than usual. Very uncommon these days for Miami. :eek:

I actually loved all the lame comebacks and one-liners. :lol: It's what makes me love this show even more, as stupid as that sounds. :p

As for the minimal screentime for Valera? Yuck. There should have been more, and I think the fans deserve more than a thirty second conversation. I like that they have a subplot going on, and they didn't revisit it in this episode (As I can imagine, they had more pressing issues to deal with than 'OMG! You're going on a date with my ex!') because then it leaves more Valera screentime later on this season, which is always a plus. Recurring characters can drive up the ratings just as much as the regular cast. ;)

Out of 10, I give this episode 8 cows. Great episode, but it did feel a tad rushed. :)

Geni - don't insult the cows :p

I mean wow. 2nd episode in a row where they mention terrorists. I mean wow.

I was so bored. I have respect for the army, but not necessary for the US army. Yeah I know - they only do what they are told to do but still.

Seriously. Where is CSIM going to? :( We have US war and Iraq and Afganistan stuff in ER and a bunch of other shows, why cannot CSIM just STICK WITH THE FRIGGING MIAMI AND THE FRIGGING CRIMES THAT FRIGGIN HAPPEN THERE! (Dr. Evil impression :p ) :rolleyes:

They could totally take this away from CSI show family :rolleyes:

I mean, soon The Saint H will be solving crimes in Finland

H: "This american was killed with a... some heavy object. Hmm.. bright glass... a vodka bottle! Finlandia Vodka bottle, to be exact!"
*H flies to Finland*
H: *finds a drunk man* YOU hit him with the bottle!
Drunken Finn: Nhooo... I whas jsut showwing hhow Finnnishh baseballl is phlayed! Besides! I swear there was a million other Finns who drank that vodka yesterday!

:rolleyes: I can see that happening

So yeah. Lamelamelame.

I start to feel like Speedfans, who hope Speed isn't dead.
I mean, I hope CSIM wouldn't go lower and lower with its storylines - but it's still happening.

So. I was so bored that I don't even have any other thoughts about the episode :rolleyes:

Ducky... you're the drunken Finn, aren't you? :lol:
I can see how this episode could come off as boring. But I was touched by it. And as for Valera, big things are coming up for her, me thinks.
I agree with Geni's assessment, 8 out of 10 :)

DaWacko said
I start to feel like Speedfans, who hope Speed isn't dead.
I mean, I hope CSIM wouldn't go lower and lower with its storylines - but it's still happening.

Very true.

The show doesn't seem to be getting exceptionally better, however I feel it's not exactly doomed either. So I know that it might never get better but, I'm still hopeful that things won't be so dissapointing. - Since we still have a long way to go.

Don't you just love my dillusional mind? :lol: I guess that's what happens when you've been a Speed fan so long. (Hey maybe the substance and asskickingness of the show left with him. :p)

Geni - don't insult the cows :p

:eek: I would never. I love cows. I use that rating system in the most loving way. ;)

DragonflyDreamer said
Ducky... you're the drunken Finn, aren't you? :lol:

:lol:

And agreed about Valera. I figure she'll be getting some more screen time this season, even if it's only for a minute. I'll take it! It's still a storyline for her. This episode was a great start to that. :)

Does anyone know when there will be a rerun of this episode? I thought I had recorded it on my family's DVR but apparently it didn't record or someone from my family erased it.

Thanks.

Valera somehow managed to get practically no screen time in her own storyline. She's so gifted.

And why didn't Natalia tell her about Nick? When I go out with a friend's ex, I expect the phrase, "look, that's fine and all, but just FYI... he might come at you with a burning rod and print a chess board on your back. Might, though, so, you know. Um, other than that, good kisser, snappy dresser, bit of a leftie..." to be uttered somewhere in the conversation. If Valera gets hurt now, yup, I agree it's on Natalia.

Cooper finding footage of the attack was the biggest bullshit that ever bulled. And what a coincidence that through the whole conflict, the cameraman decided NOT to pick up his gun and defend their post, but film Kevin (Patrick, whatever) the whole time. My brother, who's into the military, walked out of the room in anger at that point.

My brother also figured out straight away that Kevin's killer had been to Iraq. You have to pretty much be down to your last two IQ points to think you can get away with that. This show, along with all its characters, keep getting stupider and stupider.

Oh, why don't they just make Horatio Caine president of the world? Really, give him the universe. Make the UN bow down to him. He's so ridiculous, I nearly expected the episode to end with him finding Bin Laden while Bob Dylan wails in the background.

Forgot to mention:

the challenge keeps us frosty, that's the CSI way

Has to be one of the worst lines ever been written and I can't believe Jonathan Togo didn't burst into fits of laughter halfway through saying that. There's no way I'd agree to say something that lame on the show. No way! They'd have to dope me first. They'd have to kidnap my family and threaten to kill them. They'd have to blur my mouth and then add a voice over, but God, that was so lame. And it made Ryan ten times lamer. Who says that? God, I'm still cringing. It was so bad.

*shakes head* After episodes like last night's I wonder why I still watch this show. I know that Miami has always been a bit more 'out there' than either NY or LV, but the Miami Dade Crime Lab solving a murder that took place in Iraq? Give me a break, please.

And Valera...I was so happy b/c I thought that we were finally going to get some good, quality Valera screentime. I should have known better I guess, as all it amounted to was the same 10 seconds or less that we normally get--if we're lucky enough to get that much. And it pained me so much to hear her meekly ask Natalia, "Are you mad at me?".

Speaking of Natalia...I was waiting for her to reply, "No, but you should know yada, yada, yada," and maybe fill her in a bit on what kind of guy he really is. And the whole scene was just odd, the way it was just stuck into the episode and never brought up again. I don't know, the whole thing just didn't sit right with me. I suppose they'll get into all of this in a later episode.

And...I like Horatio-or I should say I like S1-3 Horatio-but what we've been getting from the character this season (and last) is just too much, it's too much. I know that they've always set H up to be this larger-than-life, heroic type figure, but now he's getting ivovled in cases in other countries, cases that he has no jurisdiction over anyway and solving them? *sigh*

I usually don't get too upset over the way this show mangles proper procedures and whatnot-I realize that it's a drama, not a reality/documentary type show...but I can only suspend my disbelief in reality so far before I have to cry foul.

*shakes head* After episodes like last night's I wonder why I still watch this show.
I hear ya Jenn! :( Infact, I have been asking myself that same question for 18 months now. I watch in the misguided hope that it might, just might, improve. No such luck.
I like S1-3 Horatio-but what we've been getting from the character this season (and last) is just too much, it's too much.
Agreed wholeheartedly. As midnight so aptly posted:
Oh, why don't they just make Horatio Caine president of the world? Really, give him the universe. Make the UN bow down to him. He's so ridiculous, I nearly expected the episode to end with him finding Bin Laden while Bob Dylan wails in the background.
....I hear rumours that all of the above are predicted for the remainder of Season 5. ;)

Destiny said:
The whole ep passed me by lol I wasn't feeling well and feel a sleep before it started and then to top that off I didn't set the vcr. Got it ready but didn't set it. So I will either have to watch it on the CBS site or wait for the repeat.

Sorry you're not feeling well Destiny & that you missed the ep. Hope you get feeling better real soon.

ThumpyG42 said:
*shakes head* After episodes like last night's I wonder why I still watch this show. I know that Miami has always been a bit more 'out there' than either NY or LV, but the Miami Dade Crime Lab solving a murder that took place in Iraq? Give me a break, please.

And Valera...I was so happy b/c I thought that we were finally going to get some good, quality Valera screentime. I should have known better I guess, as all it amounted to was the same 10 seconds or less that we normally get--if we're lucky enough to get that much. And it pained me so much to hear her meekly ask Natalia, "Are you mad at me?".

Speaking of Natalia...I was waiting for her to reply, "No, but you should know yada, yada, yada," and maybe fill her in a bit on what kind of guy he really is. And the whole scene was just odd, the way it was just stuck into the episode and never brought up again. I don't know, the whole thing just didn't sit right with me. I suppose they'll get into all of this in a later episode.

And...I like Horatio-or I should say I like S1-3 Horatio-but what we've been getting from the character this season (and last) is just too much, it's too much. I know that they've always set H up to be this larger-than-life, heroic type figure, but now he's getting ivovled in cases in other countries, cases that he has no jurisdiction over anyway and solving them? *sigh*

I usually don't get too upset over the way this show mangles proper procedures and whatnot-I realize that it's a drama, not a reality/documentary type show...but I can only suspend my disbelief in reality so far before I have to cry foul.

i still can't believe people expect realism out of CSI. It has always been pretty unrealistic, the DNA testing drives me crazy, it is retarded. They just pipette stuff, and use a tiny centrifuge, which is WAY to small, and is never balanced properly, and I have yet to see an electrophoresis chamber in the lab. And you would NEVER use glass tables in a lab!! That stuff bothers me WAY more than procedural stuff.

I also love miami because it is so crazy. I find it entertaining...and that is why the ratings are huge for this show worldwide, because it is entertaining.

Back