Does Danny Seek Out Abuse?

Just wanted to bump this one back up to ask...what do you guys make of Danny in the finale, taunting the hostage-takers? Adam had already gotten the solution and gotten back to the truck when Danny started making fun of the guys, basically inviting them to beat him up some more. Why do you guys think he did it, given that the reason for the diversion was over?

Top41 said: Why do you guys think he did it, given that the reason for the diversion was over?
Because he is just one of those guys who has to say his piece, tell them exactly what he thinks of the type of person who commits mindless violence against innocent people. I guess that, given his line of work, he doesn't often get to tell the perpetrators what he really thinks of them. :p

Although, I think he's definately the type of character who would react like that, my first thought was that he couldn't tell how long it would take Adam (who was scared, and did fumble around way too long!) to get the solution and get back unseen. So, he may have just be buying time to make sure... ;)

Elsie said:
Top41 said: Why do you guys think he did it, given that the reason for the diversion was over?
Because he is just one of those guys who has to say his piece, tell them exactly what he thinks of the type of person who commits mindless violence against innocent people. I guess that, given his line of work, he doesn't often get to tell the perpetrators what he really thinks of them. :p

True, though it certainly was inviting them to hurt him further, and I think he knew that.

Although, I think he's definately the type of character who would react like that, my first thought was that he couldn't tell how long it would take Adam (who was scared, and did fumble around way too long!) to get the solution and get back unseen. So, he may have just be buying time to make sure... ;)

Danny was facing Adam, so I assumed he could see him, but maybe not. And he did know these guys were vigilent, since they caught him with his cell phone!

Why do you guys think he did it, given that the reason for the diversion was over?

I think Danny did it because he just simply wanted to taunt them. He knew that if they wanted to kill them, they would have already done it (as he said to Adam in a previous scene). Granted it probably wasn't the smartest thing as he got beaten up for it, but IMO it was definitely brave. I think he wanted to show that he was not willing to back down even in his given position. Despite having a broken hand and body, he still fought with words and refused to give up. I've always seen Danny as a tough person, so his taunting didn't really come as a huge surprise to me.

I definitely think it was a control thing for Danny; he needed to fight back in the only way he could--verbally--to maintain some semblence of control. It wasn't a rational move, and that further suggests to me that Danny has previously been in situations where he had no control and the idea of that frightens him more than getting beat up.

Danny verbally arguing with the captors and answering back kinda proves to me that he's been in that situation before. No one would really go as far as he did, I mean he was even shouting at them after Adam got the solution. Just seems like he'd been in that position before and that was the only way he knew how to handle it.
It was in the sense if he was going to get killed, he was going out with a fight, kicking and screaming.

^That's a good point. And yeah, I think Danny's been knocked around quite a bit in his life, one way or another.

Elsie:
Because he is just one of those guys who has to say his piece, tell them exactly what he thinks of the type of person who commits mindless violence against innocent people.

I'd have to agree. He seems to be the type of person that's just frank and honest.

Rmember in one of his best episodes "Trapped", season 2? He was in that panic room for hours. He was tired and frustrated. Then finally the metal door opens and its the killer who has a gun to Danny's face :eek:.

What does he do? :confused:

*Danny: YOU! all this time you could have opened that door and you didn't! :mad: You just let me alone for hours with a dead body! :eek:

He still complained about being trapped, instead of worrying about the fact that there was now a guy threatening to kill him. He could have gotten shot and he was still a drama queen :devil:.

That is a kind of funny quirk about Danny's character. He's such a child that way--in "Trapped" he was more pissed off about being left in the panic room than he was about having a gun pointed at him. :lol:

It's almost as if Danny care more about mouthing off than about what happens to him physically.

*Danny: YOU! all this time you could have opened that door and you didn't! :mad: You just let me alone for hours with a dead body! :eek:
Oh, yes! That's why I love him. But remember, he was tired, nervous and confused about his brother, Louie. That sentence just broke out of him after a long and frustated time in the panic room. In spite of these things, when Stella and Don arrived and this locker guy got Danny he was at his mind and he spilled that liquid thing on the guy. :)

Elsie said:
Because he is just one of those guys who has to say his piece, tell them exactly what he thinks of the type of person who commits mindless violence against innocent people.

This is 1 of the many characteristics that show that Danny may have a 'death-wish', but it also shows that his character is CONSISTENT and BELIEVABLE
:eek: He is a hot-head that mouths off 1st then thinks (and tends to regret what he's said/done) later.
:eek: He is impulsive, and at crucial times he tends to be lead by his heart not his head.
:eek: Inwardly, he has low self-esteem, (may be due to his rejection by Louie), and looks to the ever-righteous Mac for approval, but on the outside he can be a cocky little devil.

Thankfully, he is consistent in that, yes. He's definitely hot-headed and often seems to care more about having his say than he does about his well-being (On the Job, Trapped, Snow Day).

He definitely has low self-esteem. I imagine Louie had something to do with it. Danny lets people he cares about mistreat him, and I think that probably stems in part from how Louie pushed him away that night with the Tanglewood boys (and maybe before that). I also would love to know what kind of relationship Danny had with his parents--there could have been abuse there, too.

Top41 said:
I also would love to know what kind of relationship Danny had with his parents--there could have been abuse there, too.

I would imagine that his relationship with his Dad was not a positive one, as he appears to look to Mac as a 'father-figure'. Though, whether he is the right person for Danny to look up to is another matter!

Yeah, I think whatever trouble Danny had growing up ultimately probably does center around his father. The way Danny would desperately seek out Mac's approval and yet defy him in the same breath was odd and quite sad. Danny clearly was seeking a surrogate father in Mac. Like so many things for Danny in season three, that kind of fell by the wayside this year. I hope it gets explored in more depth next season.

Top41 said:
I hope it gets explored in more depth next season.

So do I, along with his other relationships e.g. Louie, Flack BUT not the relationship with Lindsay... that would be suicide :(

Back