Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI3, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

I am against death penalty. Rotting in jail forever I guess is a pretty much a punishment for criminals already. I dont think death penalty would deter crimes.

2. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

This is an difficult topic... I'm kinda on the fence on this. If a criminal did somethign bad that would warrant the death penalty like taking someone's life. But that starts all over again as we take the criminal's life. Which makes us bad as that criminal. But it does deter a lot of people from the death penalty and the death penalty is neccessary for the worst of crims, ( if they are really guilty)

But then however, for a lot of crims, living in a prison all your life is more of a punishment than if they were on the death penalty.
    Then there is the matter of guiltyness of the crim, if he wasn't guilty and we put him on the death penalty, that's injustice. And there is just no way to bring back that person.

SO...I'm on the fence. :D

3. CSI3

CSI3 Lab Technician

I personally am against the death penalty. Last year I wrote an essay on my opinion of the death penalty, and found some interesting facts, such as the death penalty costs more than life in prison.

Anyhow, I think the death penalty should not be used since though judicial errors an innocent victim could be killed for someone else's crime(s), and that would be horrible. On this point, people who don't have money for a lawyer get public defenders, so their representation is sub par, possibly leading to a conviction.

As well, I'm Catholic, and one of the ten commandments is "Thou Shall Not Kill", this does not give any leeway as to who you may or may not kill, even if the person was a serial killer, killing them is still a sin.

4. tuesdaymorning

tuesdaymorning Judge

I used to be for the Death Penalty but lately in my classes and here on this forum -- I'm in the middle.

Part of me wants to agree that when a person takes another person's life away they deserve to die but then again there's another part of me that thinks that there's a much more better punishment than death.

Religion has no part though in my decision though.

5. TTHipFreak

TTHipFreak Coroner

I am against the death penalty. I always have been. I always will be. I believe if a criminal does something really horrendous; they should be locked up for life, with the key thrown away.

My aunt's brother is a prison guard. A few years ago he told us of some of the ways prisoners, kill inmates. Trust me. They don't need the death penalty. A couple of the ways...turned my stomach. Just thinking about it, I am feeling queasy.

There is also that code in prison. When the other cons find out a new inmate has harmed a child, their lives are in danger. I say let the other criminals carry out the death penalty. No one can be as exacting as they would be.

15 years ago, there was a nightmarish incident up here. The prisoners at the penitentiary, found out this scumbag was being sent there. They had a riot. They did not want this monster there. About three or four years ago, one (?) of them managed to get the key to this demon's cell. The key was retrieved, but the public heard all about it. We all wished, they had been able to carry out some prison justice for us. This creep will be in solitary for the rest of it's life.

Creep has lost all rights to be classified a human in my opinion. Therefore I don't assign it a gender classifcation. What occurred is that upsetting.

So, I guess what I am saying, is let the other prisoners take care of it. It's not as if they're going anywhere.

6. CSIri

CSIri Captain

I'm all for it. But they shouldn't be able to sentence someone to death if there's only circumstantial evidence in the case.

7. WASSITO

WASSITO Pathologist

If the case warrents that conviction, I'm all for it.

8. beautiful_loser

beautiful_loser Pathologist

Circumstantial evidence can be quite--convincing, and it can definitely hit the final nail in someone's coffin so to speak. Usually, a good defense attorney will point out that there's only circumstantial evidence. If it's the truth, if the person did actually do what they are charged with, but if the direct evidence was thrown out, or if there is really strong circumstantial evidence? What then?

9. nicksbabygurl

nicksbabygurl CSI Level One

If they did a horrible crime, then yes they do deserve the death penalty.

I know that this might sound harsh, but Scott Peterson that man is scum and he deserves to die. That man should've been killed on the stop when they found out that he killed his wife and the baby.

Sorry, I just don't like talking about that.

10. Caderyn

Caderyn Pathologist

I'm against the death penalty because I think spending the rest of your life in jail, with NO POSSIBIlITY OF FREEDOM, is a worse penalty than being 'humanely' put down by a lethal injection. Why should they 'rest in peace' while the victims' family not only have to still deal with their loss, but also live with the fact that they'd 'killed' someone?

Besides, the criminal justice system is not flawless. There's always a chance that an innocent is executed.

Hey, btw, has anyone noticed that the three cities in CSI are all in states which have the death penalty? I'm not too familiar with state laws in the US, but I think there are a lot of states which don't?

11. samanarkCSI

samanarkCSI Pathologist

I'm all for the death penalty. The main reason I have is because there are people out there like Charles Manson, to whom, life in prison is a joke. Also, the fact that we're all going to die some day, eventually just makes it seem to me like what's the point of prolonging your life in prison?
    I do have some other reasons, but they're too confusing even for myself to understand :lol:

12. gregsandersfan

gregsandersfan Pathologist

The state shouldn't have the right to decide when someone shall die.
    And there's the possibility of mistakes.
    -> against it

13. Calihan

Calihan Captain

But I think there are a lot of states which don't?

I live in the US and currantly 38 stats and the federal government use capital punishment.

Also recently when the serial killer in Conneticiut was executed after spending 20 something years on death row, one of the family members said it was to peaceful.

14. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Yes I support the death penalty. I think it should be used more. There are a lot of people on death row and they sit there and wait. Meanwhile we are getting overcrowding in prisions and the taxpayers are paying for this which is ludacris. In my opinion prision is way to good for murderers. We treat them too well. They didn't care when they killed someone why shoud we care about them now?

15. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

I believe everyone deserves a 2nd chance no matter how big or small their past mistake has been, but criminals should rot their souls away in jail, where they cannot escape. Dying is just a way to say God forgives you, (well it does in my eyes). If the death penalty continues on, we might as well let all the criminals free.

Thank god that there is no death penalty in the UK, you are sent to prison. (Proud to live in Britain :))