Danny and Lindsay--Was it a mistake?

Was the marriage of Danny and Lindsay a mistake?

• Yes, I'm very disappointed with it

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • No, I think it was the right choice for the characters

Votes: 31 43.7%
  • I'm indifferent

Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters
hmm maybe, i dunno, i never get that really but then i'm the least romantically inclined person on the planet:lol:[/quote]

I think it depends. I'm kind of picky about who I wanted to see paired off, and really sometimes friendships are much more interesting than romance. Again, I reference House... no relationship on that show, romantic or otherwise, will ever be as dynamic, sparkling or as rich as the friendship between House and Wilson.

exactly, hence i can totally understand why there are so many danny/flack ships, both about their friendship and about more than that, they do clearly have "something". so yeah, maybe my point about this being subjective wasn't so much about whether you can see a chemistry as what you read into it as a viewer.

I think that's fair, and definitely what it all comes down to. We all bring our own perceptions to the table and preferences. With regards to Danny and Flack, there's obviously meant to be a friendship there, but it goes past the script, whether it be the way Flack focuses on Danny when they share scenes or his intensity when Danny's in danger, or the way Danny gets a little vulnerable around Flack... that's all stuff that's not in the script that adds layers to their relationship. I think that's why so many people enjoy them.

Ii thought the s2 stuff was quite naturalistic, stuff like her using a slingshot and him being impressed, and him checking her head was ok after the bomb went off in charge of this post, even the silly stuff like the bug eating and so on.

I enjoyed that stuff, but it never really felt it was natural. It always felt like the writers were trying to beat us over the head with, "Oh look, they're flirting!" I thought it was cute at the time, but never really natural because it never extended beyond the script. There weren't any layers. It was cute because it was written to be cute, but I didn't look at them and sense any sizzle.

but for me i think the moment where it went a bit awry was when she hugged him after being a decoy in not what it looks like - it seemed incredibly scripted, i remember thinking (and i still do every time i see it!) "why's she suddenly hugging him like that?" - it seemed to come out of nowhere. the same goes, to an extent, for him being so uber-worried about her in the bit before that scene, i could understand if he was worried, they all were meant to be, but it seemed to go above that but in a really non-natural kind of way. ha, for me i guess that was the point it all started going downhill!

And that's the problem... because that natural rapport never really developed between the characters, because that other layer didn't exist, when the writers took them in a romantic direction, it did seem to come out of left field--even though it was clearly being built up in the scripts. Which is why Danny and Lindsay don't work as a couple now--those building blocks, that crucial base that needs to be built in the flirtation stage, have never been there. It's a relationship built entirely on the script and not at all on chemistry, and those simply don't work.

really sometimes friendships are much more interesting than romance.

absolutely :)

exactly, hence i can totally understand why there are so many danny/flack ships, both about their friendship and about more than that, they do clearly have "something". so yeah, maybe my point about this being subjective wasn't so much about whether you can see a chemistry as what you read into it as a viewer.
I think that's fair, and definitely what it all comes down to. We all bring our own perceptions to the table and preferences. With regards to Danny and Flack, there's obviously meant to be a friendship there, but it goes past the script, whether it be the way Flack focuses on Danny when they share scenes or his intensity when Danny's in danger, or the way Danny gets a little vulnerable around Flack... that's all stuff that's not in the script that adds layers to their relationship. I think that's why so many people enjoy them.

yeah i totally agree, and i think that's there for mac & stella too, to an extent, for me it's totally in a friendship kind of way but you just get an impression that they really do get on and would be friends in other circumstances, as opposed to just being shoved together.

but I didn't look at them and sense any sizzle.

well, no, i didn't either, it was almost like high school type flirting! it was cute but it wasn't particularly exciting.

And that's the problem... because that natural rapport never really developed between the characters, because that other layer didn't exist, when the writers took them in a romantic direction, it did seem to come out of left field--even though it was clearly being built up in the scripts. Which is why Danny and Lindsay don't work as a couple now--those building blocks, that crucial base that needs to be built in the flirtation stage, have never been there. It's a relationship built entirely on the script and not at all on chemistry, and those simply don't work.

yep, i agree with that completely.

I agree with most of what's been said here, but...

*lisasimpson* said:
Top41 said:

It's completely true, but I'm still not sure this isn't the same thing that makes chemistry in general very subjective. I mean, I've seen people say the exact same thing about ie, Eric/Calleigh, Chase/Cameron from House, etc (hell, I myself have said the same thing about both pairings in question), but I know not everyone agrees. And on the flip side, there are pairings that I think do have chemistry, though they've been scripted from the start (Castle/Beckett, for example).

I agree with most of what's been said here, but...

*lisasimpson* said:
Top41 said:

It's completely true, but I'm still not sure this isn't the same thing that makes chemistry in general very subjective. I mean, I've seen people say the exact same thing about ie, Eric/Calleigh, Chase/Cameron from House, etc (hell, I myself have said the same thing about both pairings in question), but I know not everyone agrees. And on the flip side, there are pairings that I think do have chemistry, though they've been scripted from the start (Castle/Beckett, for example).

Any relationship that happens on screen is obviously going to be scripted to some degree--the script is what brings the two characters together. It's up to the actors to add those extra layers. Say what you will about Eric and Calleigh--and I understand the objections to them--but Adam Rodriguez and Emily Procter bring it to the table when it comes to their interactions. I don't know that I'd argue that Cameron and Chase have great chemistry--I liked them as a couple, but I wouldn't necessarily argue that they shared a dynamic chemistry. I don't watch Castle, so I can't comment there.

With regards to Danny and Lindsay, Carmine and Anna have never had that kind of chemistry. They simply don't. You only have to look at Danny and Rikki to see that Carmine is capable of sharing that kind of chemistry with someone--there's no scene between Danny and Lindsay that comes close emotionally to the gut-wrenching scene in which Danny tells Rikki her son is dead, or the heat in the scene the morning after Danny and Rikki sleep together--and Anna has never been paired up with anyone else on the show, so who knows there. But I don't think they've ever had it together, even in the beginning when the flirting was kind of cute. By now, we should really be seeing intimacy between them--they're married--but we're not.

That's not to say people can't like them. That's not to say they can't enjoy the two characters together--of course they can. But the natural chemistry isn't there. To be fair, that's the kind of thing that's either there or it's not, and it's much more rare than people seem to think.

Top41 said:
Any relationship that happens on screen is obviously going to be scripted to some degree--the script is what brings the two characters together. It's up to the actors to add those extra layers. Say what you will about Eric and Calleigh--and I understand the objections to them--but Adam Rodriguez and Emily Procter bring it to the table when it comes to their interactions. I don't know that I'd argue that Cameron and Chase have great chemistry--I liked them as a couple, but I wouldn't necessarily argue that they shared a dynamic chemistry. I don't watch Castle, so I can't comment there.

With regards to Danny and Lindsay, Carmine and Anna have never had that kind of chemistry. They simply don't. You only have to look at Danny and Rikki to see that Carmine is capable of sharing that kind of chemistry with someone--there's no scene between Danny and Lindsay that comes close emotionally to the gut-wrenching scene in which Danny tells Rikki her son is dead, or the heat in the scene the morning after Danny and Rikki sleep together--and Anna has never been paired up with anyone else on the show, so who knows there. But I don't think they've ever had it together, even in the beginning when the flirting was kind of cute. By now, we should really be seeing intimacy between them--they're married--but we're not.

That's not to say people can't like them. That's not to say they can't enjoy the two characters together--of course they can. But the natural chemistry isn't there. To be fair, that's the kind of thing that's either there or it's not, and it's much more rare than people seem to think.

Thing is, natural heat between any two characters is only going to feel like natural heat to whichever one person is watching them onscreen and seeing it that way. I don't see it between D/L, but I don't see it between a lot of pairings either (to be fair, E/C is only one of several). I think Adam and Emily do their jobs just like Carmine and Anna do, and I can respect that; and when people point to little gestures between the characters that are probably supposed to indicate passion or a deep connection, I see the gestures -- I just don't get chemistry from that. I know others do, but I don't see it. That's why I agree that natural chemistry is extremely rare and hard to manufacture, but I also think it's at least 98 percent subjective (if not the full hundred). I mean, if it weren't there probably wouldn't be any disagreement over ships that "have it" -- I've only run into one pairing where the consensus on their chemistry was unanimous, and I still can't figure out what Mulder and Scully were doing that other TV pairings aren't.

Thing is, natural heat between any two characters is only going to feel like natural heat to whichever one person is watching them onscreen and seeing it that way. I don't see it between D/L, but I don't see it between a lot of pairings either (to be fair, E/C is only one of several). I think Adam and Emily do their jobs just like Carmine and Anna do, and I can respect that; and when people point to little gestures between the characters that are probably supposed to indicate passion or a deep connection, I see the gestures -- I just don't get chemistry from that. I know others do, but I don't see it. That's why I agree that natural chemistry is extremely rare and hard to manufacture, but I also think it's at least 98 percent subjective (if not the full hundred). I mean, if it weren't there probably wouldn't be any disagreement over ships that "have it" -- I've only run into one pairing where the consensus on their chemistry was unanimous, and I still can't figure out what Mulder and Scully were doing that other TV pairings aren't.

There weren't any rival ships on the X-Files to Mulder and Scully, were there? That probably helps explain it, plus the skill of the actors plus the way the characters were written... all the right things put in the pot and stirred just so.

Focusing on Danny and Lindsay (since this thread is about them), I don't see a lot of those gestures between them. We're constantly reminded they're married through dialogue, rather than action--the classic misstep of telling rather than showing. If the chemistry was there, that wouldn't be necessary. Even for new viewers... who could see the rings on their fingers and observe their interactions and go, "Oh, they're married." But that's where it's missing, in their interactions.

Since you brought up Rikki, I have to say that I agree with you Top about the lack of chemistry between Danny and Lindsay.

Over the years I can see that the writers,et all have tried to create a love between them. Even the unplanned pregnancy to help them become closer. But I don't see it.

They are cute. But that's it. I actually liked them more when they were flirting than now as a married couple.

As for 'heat' or chemistry. I did see more heat and passion and chemistry between Danny and Rikki than Danny and Lindsay. But again that's all subjective.

To me it was a mistake to have the whole pregnancy/marriage thing. It would have been more interesting for both characters had they had Lindsay go along with the pregnancy by herself and Danny by himself each doing their own daily lives than to have them 'declare their love for one another' and get married.

I voted for indifferent.

Let me begin this by saying I like Danny and I like Lindsay. I also liked the banter they shared in Season Two and the little moments they had but I'm not much of a 'shipper.

As for their marriage, I think it's a bit blah. It's like they're married and that's it. It's as though we no longer need to see them as characters because they've done the marriage and baby thing, therefore they don't need to be individual people now.

The marriage thing was a nice idea but the writers haven't really done anything with it. It hasn't added anything to the show in my opinion, well except for Lucy and how often do we see her?

Actually, it seems I'm more leaning towards not liking it than I am towards liking it. I'll finish this by saying that whilst I think the marriage went down like a lead balloon I do like DL, I just preferred them before they were married when they had some individuality and room for development because that's been massively capped since they were married off IMO.

As for their marriage, I think it's a bit blah. It's like they're married and that's it. It's as though we no longer need to see them as characters because they've done the marriage and baby thing, therefore they don't need to be individual people now.

I do like DL, I just preferred them before they were married when they had some individuality and room for development because that's been massively capped since they were married off IMO.

yep, i agree totally, it's like now they're a unit and that's detracting from both of them as individuals.

Back