CSI: Why examine a crime scene with flashlights?

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Guest, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I've yet to understand why the investigators always seem to examine a darkened room with flashlights rather than turn lights on. This occurs regularly in both CSI and CSI Miami.
    Anyone know why? Is there a good reason for this? Couldn't one see better with bright lights on?
    How

2. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

it's been mentioned somewhere (one of the dvd extras maybe) that using a flashlight - even in a bright room- helps a person pick out something they might not see otherwise. Your eyes are more apt to focus directly where you are shining the light.

3. GGgirl1

GGgirl1 Pathologist

And I think that if you shine the flashlight diagonally, let's say on a foot print, you can see the details better than with direct light.

4. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Isn't there also the concern about the light switch having possible latent prints or blood? Besides catching things better, I think they like to wait until they swab and dust as well before touching the switch.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

they cant see without flashkights cause it'll be to dark for them to see. so they have to use there flashlights to see with.

6. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Along with what kaylyne and GGgirl1 mentioned, investigators like to keep the scene as-is. But of course, if the lights are already on, they'll certainly use flashlights-for reasons like the other two posters mentioned. ;) Just thought I'd add my two cents.

7. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Another thing is that they are not ordinary flashlights because they use special filters to help find bodily fluids and other clues left behind.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I found out the following from doing a search:
    "When they're going over the scene, they have to leave it exactly as it was left when the crime was committed (well, when the perp left). It allows them to better reconstruct the scene so they can figure out what happened. Plus, like previously mentioned, it helps to catch evidence that might not be seen otherwise. Kind of like why the photographers use flash on their cameras as well.

This means that they can't turn on the lights (as well as with those other reasons), they can't open exterior doors (shouldn't, really), open windows (again, shouldn't) or turn off a television without (well at least someone) first noting that it was on/open/closed/whatever and then why they did this action. Plus, if they wanted to do something like that they would have to do that (for example, open a window) like no one else would open a window. Latex gloves can still smear prints, y'know?
    Another reason might be is that they are supposed to be the night shift. Flashlights are essential for night shift folks. Also, they do not want to disturb any fingerprints that may be on the light switch. And some of the flashlights have filters to see some bodily fluids."

9. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

Also, details stand out better when the flashlight is focused directly on an object : especially imprints. You get different types of flashlight, but usually, they are separate : you wouldn't get a flashlight that lights corners up and reveals bloiod at the same time. THe second reason is that with a flashlight you can see from further away, like in corners or near shelves without getting too near, and therefore risking compromising any evidence that might be between you and the area you are illuminating

10. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

I talked to one of the senior crime scene gals here. She said examining a crime scene with flashlights only is one of those TV-CSI things that's crazy.

With the exception of situations where oblique lighting, alternative (different colored) lighting, or looking for luminol blood stains, they always turn the lights on to make sure they don't miss anything.

11. Roosey

Roosey Captain

But what if the electricity bill is part of examining a Crime Scene to find a killer/rapist/thief?

12. thegluups

thegluups Prime Suspect

I don't understand, I was reading somewhere about crime scenes...or maybe it was a documentary on TV, anyway, it was a serious source, that the use of flashlights was highly recommended because it helped you pick up details that you might have missed otherwise, and then use a special flashlight for a more detailed examination. But when I think back to what you say, using flashlights doesn't exclude turning on the lights...I guess they both need to be on?... :confused:

13. Finch

Well it depends on the investigators. If the investigators feel that flashlights help them to see things better, then they'll use it. I wouldn't call it just a CSI thing because it does happen.

The CSI writers don't just pull things out of the air, and people need to realize that. A lot of the advisors on CSI are actual investigators. And if you take CSI:Miami for example, Liz Divine is a criminalist. -Now I know investigators and criminalists are different, but they do associate with each other. So maybe one state's policy isn't to use flashlights because they think it's a waste of time or there's no point, but other teams may find it useful. It depends who you talk to.

-But maybe they do leave both on. (Lights on and using flashlights) Again, it depends who you talk to.

14. Forensics_Guy

Forensics_Guy Witness

Remember when I said I talked to a senior crime scene person where I work, I was only relating her response to a question I asked her about why would you examine a crime scene with a flashlight only, and not turn on the lights. She didn't know it was in reference to a CSI enthusiasts forum posting. And it is her just opinion based on about 7 years of experience.

I have no doubt that other crime scene people would have different opinions. All of forensics is based on opinions, there is rarely if ever only one way to do something. Situational variables always require investigators to handle each problem from a new angle.

I asked someone I worked with because I have very little scene experience. I'm one of those people with a college degree who is paid very well not to have to go outside of my air-conditioned laboratory.

And while CSI does have real criminalists/forensic scientists who consult and help out with technical issues, it's still the script writers who have final say and get a little crazy many times in the final TV product. But then we are all intelligent human beings, and we realize that TV drama shows like CSI are not real, but rather fictional shows loosely based on real technology for the purposes to entertainment - not education.

15. Finch

Thanks for the clarification. :)