'CSI' To Undergo Major Format Changes

CSI Files

Captain
It seems 100 episodes in the old CSI: Crime Scene Investigation format was enough for the show's producers, as starting with episode 101, they will spice up the show by radically moving around many of the characters.

In the new edition of TV Guide, the magazine's CSI expert, <font color=yellow>Rochell D. Thomas</font>, reveals that Catherine Willows will be promoted to head of the swing-shift CSI team in in the upcoming episode "Mea Culpa." Joining her each day at 4:00pm will be Warrick Brown - a virtual guarantee for tense situations, as Warrick will now be reporting to the woman he nearly kissed earlier this season in "Down the Drain.".

In addition to providing Catherine with cosier working hours, the promotion will put her at equal footing with Gil Grissom, something he's not too happy with. To make matters worse, with many of his most experienced people moving away from the graveyard shift, he'll be forced to rely on a B team consisting of people such as Greg Sanders, who still doesn't have all his field proficiency tests behind him, and internal affairs officer Sophia Curtis, recently demoted down from the day shift.

All this is the result of the events in "Mea Culpa," in which a murder trial is reopened to explore new forensic evidence. During cross-examination, Grissom discovers a previously undetected fingerprint on a matchbook left at a crime scene, meaning that the man who was originally convicted may well be innocent. Rather than focusing on finding the true killer, Grissom's longtime enemy Conrad Ecklie uses the finding to make life for Grissom as painful as possible, as we reported in our recent spoiler report.

Speaking to TV Guide, executive producer <font color=yellow>Carol Mendelsohn</font> said that these kinds of personnel shifts are exactly what happens in the real world of forensic police departments. "My understanding is that people are always moving around.You don't stay working with the same team. Circumstances change."

The show itself might also change somewhat, as Mendelson hinted we will get to see more of the characters' personal lives. "Our CSIs have been together for almost five years. [...] Relationships evolve." But before fans get their hopes up - CSI will still primarily remain a procedural drama, so the characters won't be hooking up in classic soap opera style anytime soon. In fact, the producers recently cut a scene from an episode which would have followed up on the Warrick-Catherine moment in "Down the Drain." According to Mendelsohn, "it just didn't feel right and we thought we were hurrying the relationship too much."

The original report from TV Guide, which includes more details on "Mea Culpa" as well as more quotes from Mendelsohn, can be found in the new November 21 - November 27 edition of TV Guide, featuring <font color=yellow>Jerry Seinfeld</font> on the cover. Massive thanks go out to <font color=yellow>Al Forno</font> for this!<center></center>

WOAH. Will we still see Catherine and Warrick as much? I'm assuimg Nick and Sara are staying with Grissom and Greg...

What exactly is a swing shift?

hmmm a change could be better or worse for the show who knows.
A swing shift means for example if you worked there, you could be working one shift or another, swing shift also known as "Switching shifts" just means your schedule will be trading off what hours you work.
In this case if they schedule by the week, then one week they work day and the next Night, if they schedule by Days, then they could work 1-2 days on day shift, then swing to Night shift.

Posted by Destiny:
hmmm a change could be better or worse for the show who knows.
I agree. We'll just have to wait and see.
Posted by Destiny:
A swing shift means for example if you worked there, you could be working one shift or another, swing shift also known as "Switching shifts" just means your schedule will be trading off what hours you work.
In this case if they schedule by the week, then one week they work day and the next Night, if they schedule by Days, then they could work 1-2 days on day shift, then swing to Night shift.
According to dictionary.com (I'm a geek, I looked it up :)), the people who work the swing shift, work the shift in between day and night, usually 4pm-midnight.

Catherine Willows will be promoted to head of the swing-shift CSI team...Joining her each day at 4:00pm will be Warrick Brown - a virtual guarantee for tense situations, as Warrick will now be reporting to the woman he nearly kissed earlier this season in "Down the Drain.".
I like the sound of that! :D

Holy crap! I thought that Cath, wasn't going to get a promtion, but she is getting one.

I think this will be good for the show. Something has to change or else it would get stale. Drama is afterall about conflict and we'll see how Grissom and Catherine can handle being equals as far as jobs go. One thing I don't seem to like is the idea of nothing going on with Sara or Nick. I guess they will be staying where they are. They also need to put the rest of Greg's profiency testing and get him to be a real CSI even though he will only be a level 1. It seems like it has been drawn out long enough and something needs to happen there. It sounds like that may be happening soon with the new format. We'll just have to wait and see.

Posted by ThisIsMe:
Posted by Destiny:
According to dictionary.com (I'm a geek, I looked it up :)), the people who work the swing shift, work the shift in between day and night, usually 4pm-midnight.
Different work different meanings though, and it doesn't make you a geek to look it up it makes you look informed big difference ;)
LOL now if my father would have thought of that when he worked swing shift in the factory plant he was at before retiring, he would have loved it..lol
But one day he worked first, then the next day second, or first and second, then the next third, then be on a certain shift for a week and switch off.
Labs and such may work it differently i wasn't sure so my explaination of it was more wide random, where as yours nails down a time for them. :D

Still not a geek :p :lol:

Posted by Destiny:
Labs and such may work it differently i wasn't sure so my explaination of it was more wide random, where as yours nails down a time for them.
Still not a geek :p :lol:
:D
Yeah, I'm not sure how labs work either. The article does say "Joining her each day at 4:00pm will be Warrick Brown", so maybe it is the "middle shift". I guess it's another thing we'll just have to wait and see!
LOL now if my father would have thought of that when he worked swing shift in the factory plant he was at before retiring, he would have loved it..lol
:lol: My brother used to have to work the graveyard shift one week, and then days the next and he hated it!!

I hope they don't do any split teams/shifts on CSI: Miami. I like them working together like they do right now.

I can understand having two teams or whatever on CSI: Vegas though, since they seem to have more supporting and recurring characters than Miami. Vegas show always seem too crowded whenever I check it out.

It all sounds very good to me. 6 people on the graveyard shift just seems too much, and I think a few changes on the show seem good. The only thing I don't like is the entire Cath-Warrick thing, I though they just put that scene in Down the Drain to mess with our minds, but are they going to persue that? I hope not.

Wow, I am so looking forward to the rest of season 5!! :D

Posted by CSI_Files:
Massive thanks go out to Al Forno for this!

I'm new here, so if this has already been asked please forgive me. Who is Al Forno? I did a Google search and only came up with a chef from Italy. My other question is: how do you get a hold of a copy of TV Guide two weeks in advance?

I also wanted to say...thanks for the spoilers, articles, and pictures.

Thanks.

Diana :cool:

6 people on the graveyard shift just seems too much
With all the crime going on these days, 6 is not enough. Besides, they usually split up on a couple of cases each episode.
how do you get a hold of a copy of TV Guide two weeks in advance?
That would be the issue with NEXT week's listings arriving in mailboxes and stores today or tomorrow.

Posted by Dynamo1:
6 people on the graveyard shift just seems too much
With all the crime going on these days, 6 is not enough. Besides, they usually split up on a couple of cases each episode.

I meant for the show, I know that in real life more people are needed. 5 seemed to be enough, but 6 didn't really work out. At least, that's what it looked like to me.

There's something I don't understand. Why does the article refer to the "demoted" Sophia Curtis? At the end of the Nov. 11 episode we saw her in a business suit, and I got the impression that she won Ecklie's old job.

And if getting bumped to the night shift is a demotion for Curtis, I'd like to know if she pissed someone off to earn it.

Catherine's new job--is this Swing Shift lead position the one that Ecklie vacated? I thought he was the lead supervisor for the Day shift.

Back