CSI: The Movie

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Adzix, Apr 20, 2009.

1. alynch

alynch Dead on Arrival

Eh, TV show adaptations have a knack for spending years in development hell before they actually, if ever, get made. The folks behind 24 have spent like the last five years talking about how they'd love to make it into a movie, yet as far as I know nobody's ever even attempted to put a single word to page. People behind shows typically talk about how they'd love to do a movie but never really think about it that deeply. Until an actual script exists, it's barely even worth considering.

With that said, let's consider it! I'm seen some people suggest Tarantino, but I really don't think there's any way he'd direct it. He'd never direct a film that he didn't write. Sure, he'll guest direct a TV show like he did here or with ER when he's looking for a month-long diversion, but a feature film would require months of his time, probably close to a year once you factor in prep and post. Spending that much time on what wouuld basically be a gun-for-hire gig doesn't seem like it would suit him.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I thought Tarrantino also wrote Grave Danger? Or co-wrote it? They could always let him write the movie too.

By the way, a lot of movies these days are more than two hours long. A CSI movie could go two and a half to even three hours long. :)

I think it might be kind of cool if they made the movie in 3D. :D Well, maybe not the WHOLE movie, but possibly just the flashbacks (of the crimes or whatever).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

I think that if they do it right and that's a big IF then they can appeal to everyone concerned. We all know that if it includes past and present characters that it'll be a Grissom/Langston main event. As long as they don't neglect everyone else then it should be alright. And there is no reason why they couldn't bring in some personal stuff(ie: GSR, Wedges, whatever)as long as it's done in moderation. I am a Sara fan and a GSR fan but I don't want that in a movie just for the sake of it being in there. I would be fine with just an update on what's going on with Grissom and Sara and then let's get back to the case or whatever. I am a CSI fan first and foremost. I love the show. I still think it's a wonderful show. If they decide to actually make the movie, I'll go see it because it's CSI and you know that's all that matters to me....

4. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I would hate for them to jump on the 3D bandwagon! IMO 3D is kind of, well, kidish. Am I the only one that feels that way?

5. alynch

alynch Dead on Arrival

This might be a bit overly simplistic, but from what I've read his "Story By" credit basically amounted to him saying, "Hey, what if Nick gets buried alive." All the actual word-to-page scriptwriting was done by the regular CSI writers. For Tarantino, it was still a gun-for-hire gig, albeit a very high profile one.

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Hope this helps..
    Grave Danger discussion thread

7. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

I absolutely agree on that one... we got enough of that already. But I guess that that will be the stuff we would see then...

Devinitely it would be a Langston centered movie... man he's the main guy on the show remember??? :eek::shifty: Ohhhhh I so hate that thought.... like I would hate a GSR movie... :scream:

I'm sure as close as Petersen and Friedkin are that Friedkin will be the one to do the movie... I hate that thought too :scream:

Damn why can't they just think for one second on all the CSI fans out there who would love to see a team event, everybody included and no "let's get the old guys back movie" Nick, Cath, Ray, Greg and Riley don't need a burned out Sara back who wouldn't be able to join an investigation anyway since she isn't working for the LVPD anymore... the only one I see back somehow is Grissom who would simply belong in there. But please not as some sort of figurehead together with Ray to get kick the others out of that movie...

I'll see it coming, I'll not see it but we'll get what we want the less :(

8. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

It would be weird to hear them cuss! I know that sounds lame, but I just can't picture them dropping S-bombs and what not. Definitely weird to me! Even weirder would be F-bombs! I'm used to them being so PG-13 with their language. Another thing is that some of the things they can't show on TV can be shown in the movie. I mean, CSI already pushes the envelope of grotesque sometimes, but think of what the movie will contain!

9. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Yeah that wpould be one reason for me to watch the movie :) I would be happy with something like that.

Hearing them cuss would be different... and maybe something I would love to see though because it makes them all so much more human. I mean everybody does it and I'm sure that nobody would hate it ;)

10. GregNickRyanFan

I have to disagree with this. They can write a story where every character is involved equally and getting equal screentime (or nearly equal anyway) and it would be fine. There are plenty of movies that have done this without it seeming "chopped". I think making it focus on only a couple of characters while throwing the other series regulars in the background (like the show does sometimes) would be a HUGE mistake and would be totally unfair to the fans of those characters who get tossed into the background. It should be a team interaction story. I think focusing mainly on one or two characters would NOT make a better story. Variety is the spice of life. :)

Maybe something similiar to the "Grave Danger" episode, because even though it was about finding Nick, it still focused on the other characters too and everyone got a good amount of screentime.

11. alynch

alynch Dead on Arrival

I don't know. I've always felt it's impossible to tell a story without foregrounding certain characters in some way. It's just the natural organic flow of a story to eventually focus on certain characters over others. That's not to say you shouldn't give the more supporting characters something worthwhile to do, but focus on individual characters is inevitable. Even in Robert Altman movies, the gold standard of ensemble storytelling, there are still usually three or four characters that get more attention than the 20 others.

12. GregNickRyanFan

The problem is though that the same characters who get pushed to the backburner on the show are most likely going to be the ones being pushed in the backburner in the movie. In which case I'm not going to spend seven or eight bucks at the theater to see. I'd most likely rent it later and then ffwd through parts I didn't want to see (focus on Ray or GSR or whatever) in which case would probably be a waste of time if Greg, Nick, Cath, etc only get one tiny little scene each in a two/three hour movie. I think a movie at this point would be a big mistake until the writers can better learn how to balance out the screentime on the show, they cannot accurately do it in a movie.

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I know that would make George Eads happy. He always wants them to cuss on the show and says they do it all the time on the set. :lol:

Of course, if they cuss in the movie, you know what else could happen? Oh god, I don't even want to mention it :wtf:, but since it's on my brain and misery loves company: They could a do love scene with Grissom & Sara and since it's on the big screen it can be as raunchy as they want to make it.

Anyways, I still don't know if this is a good idea or not. I don't think it will work. However, I would be interested in seeing exactly how they would pull this off.

14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

And his fans know what would make us happy:devil::devil: but I dare not say it for fear of Destiny and her mighty hose:eek::lol:.

15. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Well I know what you mean :devil: As for the cussing, I would love to see George cussing :lol: And well he can cuss everywhere... at a crime scene... at home... in his bed :devil: No need to go any further I think :devil::devil: