CSI:NY Spoiler Discussion - Bring on Season 6!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I'm a tad confused by the whole new cast member being added, specially a CSI... I could possibly be ok if it was a lab tech seeing as Adam is being used in the field more and more would make sense to bring someone else in... but a new series reg aswell seems a tad wierd.

Its understandable possibly if Anna has said about part time because would give the opportunity but still sounds wierd and there is all this talk about DL and how they cope with the baby and work and juggling life i would actually be pretty pissed if we got none of that and they just left it not that its important but it would generally be nice to see specially as we've seen nothing really of them since they got married other than teh birth.

I still don't get casting a reg over a recurring but if they have outlined it then possibly makes sense.

Its just left me a tad confused and slightly more worried about the teams fate after the shooting now.

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree. Bringing in a new series regular to be a love interest is beyond a bad idea and it is disturbing to me that people immediately jump to that conclusion. It tells me the show is going in the wrong direction and has been for some time.

I also agree that most of the character descriptions make ANY character sound like a Mary/Marty Sue/Stu. The description for Danny used to be one big Itallian-American stereotype, but the character turned out way better than the description (for a while, anyway). I think history shows that if the right actress is cast the character becomes so much more than what the description implies they will be.

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I don't see her as a love interest--I'd actually love to see a character more like Riley Adams on CSI, who is pretty clearly not a love interest for anyone. Flack is in mourning, Danny is married, and while Hawkes needs a love interest, it would be great to see them look outside the lab.

One of the most frustrating things about adding new female characters is that they always get shunted into the "love interest" category. No one assumed that about Adam when he got cast in season two. :p It's yet another of the many disappointments about Lindsay--she was immediately put into that category because of the banter with Danny in "Zoo York."

If they are adding a new female cast member, I hope she won't be a love interest for anyone, at least not right away and really, probably ever.

4. EngleBarn

EngleBarn Rookie

I vvouldn't mind her being a love interest to Sheldon or Adam, but I think they should vvait at least 3 seasons or so, to make it seem natural. I mean, Danny and Lindsay vvere together after almost 2 seasons and them BOOM marriage 2 seasons later. Seems too rushed. If she really is a love interest, I'd like them to drag it a bit, maybe make it seem as to their just perfect friends a little like Mac and Stella (Of course no one can even come close to SMacked, but still)

5. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I have to say I'm surprised that they are bringing in a new CSI and it makes we wonder if they are planning on killing off one of the existing CSIs.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I saw somewhere that Anna has signed on until 2010, so I doubt they're gonna get rid of Lindsay. however, it is possible that she may only be on part time cause both the character and the actress have new babies. So, it's quite possible that this new female CSI is only temporary... sort of like Ronnie Lake on CSI Vegas. Though Ronnie was only in three episodes and I'm not sure if they said "series regular" for her in the casting call. So, it's also possible that like someone else suggested, this new character may be more like Peyton in "series regular" terms, or like Tara on Miami... maybe she'll only be a series regular for one season.

No matter what the case is, I still don't get it. If Emmanuelle was let go for budget problems, it doesn't make sense that they could hire a new series regular. And even still, if they were getting rid of a series regular due to budget problems, it would make no sense to bring in a new series regular because then they'd still be in the same boat money wise. :lol: Unless they were getting rid of a lead character (ie Stella or Mac) and replacing them with a secondary character (ie new girl) who wouldn't make near as much money as Melina/Gary... and if one of the leads were leaving, I think replacing them with a secondary character would be a far better choice than replacing them with some big star (ie Vegas) and then giving them nearly all of the scenes and pushing the surviving regulars to the background (ie Vegas).

Also, I agree about the love interest thing. I really hope they're not adding a new series regular just to be someone's love interest. It's annoying when shows do that. They need to let viewers get used to a new character first before putting them with one of the current regulars.

I also agree that it could be that they are trying to balance out the cast. We only have two females in the cast (of course so do the other two CSIs unless for Vegas you count Wendy who isn't yet in the opening credits with the other regulars). The most females in the opening credits that any CSI show has ever had at one time is three.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  7. Top41

^I've heard about these contract rumors, but I've never seen anything concrete that said Anna was signed until 2010. The only one I've heard about for sure having a contract is Gary, and his goes through 2011. There was an article here a while ago about that. Beyond that, we don't know the state of any of their contracts. And someone can be fired/written out at any time if the story calls for it. Or they can ask to leave. Vanessa Ferlito's contract extended beyond the first season. ;) A contract is more a guarantee for the studio than the actor, really.

Yeah, if Emmanuelle Vaugier really was written out because of budget issues, it seems weird that they'd add another series regular so soon after...unless someone else is departing, too.

I don't think they lied about the reason Vaugier was written out--I mean, you never really have to write out a recurring character, but it definitely provided shock value/a good storyline--because I've definitely heard about CBS cutting back.

I guess that's why I'm a little suspicious of this rumor.

8. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Yeah, I'm a bit suspicious myself, but we'll see.

As someone mentioned (sorry, don't remember who it was), it's possible that this character will be a 'series regular' in the way AJ was a reg in season 4 (and 5, of course) - he wasn't in every episode, but he was under contract.

I wonder if maybe instead of dying, one of the regs will be injured and out of commission for a while - prompting Mac to hire someone (temporarily or otherwise) to take his or her place.

9. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Oh, yes. This is just what the show needs, an aggravating know-it-all that makes Lindsay look absolutely appealing. The phrase Her textbook knowledge eliminates any impression that she's just a rookie... raises ten different alarms. It reeks of yet more pandering to fannish wish fulfillment.

And wasn't Hawkes the resident walking textbook at one point?

Bugger a duck, but this sounds awful. ~readies the heave pail~

And if Emmanuelle did eat a bullet to save the budget, then why replace her with a more expensive cast member?

10. Top41

Yeah, that's a possibility, Fay, though the fact that it's a new CSI sounds a little more serious.

But if it does mean the death or sidelining of a main character, there are really only three possibilities: Danny, Lindsay or Hawkes. The others either aren't CSIs or are Mac and Stella (and it won't be one of them).

ETA:

Could the character really be worse than Lindsay, though? At least the chances are good that they'll get an actress who can, you know, act.

The person could be a newbie, but the fact that Emmanuelle was written out so recently for budgetary reasons makes me a little skeptical of this casting news. *shrug* I guess we'll see. At least it gives us something to talk about over the summer before spoilers start coming out!

11. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

I can´t believe they´ve told Emmanuelle they had to sack her because of budget cuts and now she must sit and watch how they obviously have enough budget to cast a new CSI-member. Not to mention that perhaps another member of the cast will die, and how will they explain this? "Budget cuts" would be a bit of an embarrassing excuse, when there´s already the replacement in the oven. Or maybe they´ve decided for "fresh blood" in the team and that´s why one of the current members might have to go.

12. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I think for Kaye Sullivan (if they stick with that name) it'll really all depend on the actress as to how the character is going to come across, she could be well liked or annoying - it really just depends, so I have no idea how it will work out. We'll just have to wait and see.

The last thing this show needs is another office romance - and that goes for all the CSI franchises for me. It seems like they have to have at least one in all of three of the shows. So I really hope we won't be seeing more of them.

13. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

Judging from the descreption of this new character, she sounds like competition cast-wise for the other two girls, Stella and Lindsay. I would really be highly p... off if they would let Stella die to replace her with this new chick. Because that would suggest to me they would want to kill two birds with one stone: Lowering the budget with a new entry who definitely is cheaper in salary than Melina, plus replacing an older actress with a younger, so-called sexy lab-girl :rolleyes:

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

This news almost depresses me. Like most everyone else, I'm just going to kick back & chill until there's more confirmation, but it does seem to sound like she's replacing a character.
    I just wanted to also add one thing. Not to get everyone's panties in a twist, but when it was said that they'd all return in the new season, it doesn't mean they'll all return alive. No matter who the person is to take the diner bullet, they will have to return in the premier to die & exit (if one is truly leaving the show).....just sayin'.

I like your theory, GNRFan. It's possible Lindsay could just take a step down - she doesn't act as a CSI most of the time anyway - more a labrat.
    But then it still wouldn't make any sense to add a new character when they're struggling with budgets. I'd hate to think that TPTB are that disrespectful that they'd "can" EV for budget reasons only to turn around & add someone new to the main cast - that's just wrong.

15. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Well, this is unexpected. :confused:

But if they really are adding a new cast member, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the other regulars leaving or perhaps going to some type of recurring status. Even laying aside the budget issues, it's hard to see how they can incorporate another CSI into the mix, especially someone who will be more of a lab scientist. It seems like they already struggle at times to give the more lab-oriented staff something meaningful to do in every episode.

Now that Angell is gone, I'd have to go back to my original short list and stick with Lindsay or Hawkes as the other two characters most likely to exit. It's interesting that the description of the potential new cast member seems to have a bit of overlap with both of those characters.

I'm not sure if this is the right time for a change like this, but if they are bringing in a new team member, I'd prefer to see someone with some specialized skills --maybe profiling -- which adds something new to the mix and gives a different slant to some of those logic leaps they make when resolving a case.

As for Emmanuelle Vaugier's situation, it might not have been simply a case of cutting the budget but also a question of how to best allocate the money they have. I don't know how much a longer-term recurring character like EV was making, but if they only have a certain amount of money to spend on recurring and guest stars next season, it could be that they felt it will be better spent on other types of characters as opposed to a second detective.

I was certainly disappointed to see Angell exit because I thought she had potential as a possible regular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.