CSI: NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion - Back in the Big Apple

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Re: CSI: NY Season 5 Spoiler Dicussion - Back in the Big Apple

If the Flack spoilers are true, I've no doubt that Eddie will take the story and run with it and showcase his tremendous range and skill as an actor. If it's done right, it could easily earn him an Emmy nomination, or at least a spot on the names for consideration list that goes out every year. Alas and alack, however, I fear his performance will be overshadowed by the pestilential shadow of the DL Drama Llama, which, blast it, promises to run amok during the second half of the season.

I'm not being deliberately vague, I swear. I just need a chance to separate my thinky thoughts from the avalanche of blindly happy Flack/Eddie fangirl squee. I'm sure I'll be back to espouse a complicated--and probably very wrong--theory later.

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I didn't see anything to suggest it, but there was nothing to say he won't be there. The writers have been good about showing banter between Danny and Flack this season, so I'll try to hope they know a friendship scene in this episode will be well-received. How long have we been begging for Danny to reciprocate since Flack is always there for him? Perhaps our psychic mindwaves have finally made a difference. :p

Well, Adam can get a bit distracted and sidetracked, although he always gets the job done. :p And I believe the upcoming episode with Hawkes' ex-girlfriend might show him to have flaws, so that's good.

Honestly, I haven't seen much about DL in the later spoilers. I'm sure it will be there, though - my guess is they're keeping it all under wraps.

However, since we seem to be getting good stuff for other characters and the baby drama doesn't seem to be overly-present the spoilers that we see (which are just a fraction of the entire story), I'm hoping it won't be as overpowering as we're fearing it will be. Time will tell, but I'm trying to retain some small shred of optimism - especially given that we've seen other interesting stuff.

(I believe the missing USB will be back in 5.10, Stella's encounter with the Greek man comes back up in 5.11, Sheldon will interact with his ex-girlfriend in 5.12, not to mention that Sid should have a little bit of focus in 5.12 because he recognizes the victim, and now we know Flack is going to have a big storyline in 5.13. So that's something decent for a different character in each of the episodes following 5.09.)

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

This is going to be an awesome Flack episode! I am ridiculously excited about it. :D :lol: Shame we won't be seeing it until next year though, such a long time to wait! :lol:

That would be nice, although I won't hold my breath. But yes, Eddie will undoubtedly be awesome, it's great that he's getting a storyline as fantastic as this to get his teeth into. :) At least, I'm thinking it could be really great and show many different sides of Flack.

As Fay has said, the recent spoilers have really given out something for seemingly each of the characters. I'm sure that D/L drama will be, but it certainly looks like everyone is getting a share of the screentime, as well as some great storylines. :)

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Yeah, a CSI actor being nominated for an Emmy seems like a mere wish at this point - but hey, you never know! It would be awesome if this storyline finally got one of our guys (and gals) into the running.

5. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

I honestly dont think that any of the actors are good enough to get an emmy nod. Even Gary isn't as good as he has been in the past. i.e. Forest Gump.
    Don't get me wrong I love the show, but lately I have been watching hoping that something interesting would happen. I'm loosing faith, I think CSI is drying up.

6. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Ah, yes there are those. And Sid has his creepy place and his habit of making....disturbing comments about various things that are 'too much detail'. But he wouldn't be Sid without that. It'll be interesting to see more Hawkes development of any kind, and it's about time they acknowledge he has a sex life! They've acknowledged Sid's before they have Hawkes's.

Continuity, good storylines not just for Mac and Stella but for the criminally underused Flack, Hawkes and Adam, even some focus for Sid, and some interesting conflicts and dangerous situations for and between various characters....the writers seem to be doing well with s5! *crosses fingers* The baby story might even become bearable for me at this rate, especially if Danny is the focus. That Danny is the focus is a liitle sad though. I hoped the storyline might offer the opportunity for Lindsay to develop on her own, away from Danny in a sense (dealing with being pregnant and a single mother, maybe) but no. Why do the writers give Lindsay big storylines then have it focus, apparantly, on Danny? The same happened with the Big Secret storyline in s3, the pivotal court appearance ep was more Danny-focused than Lindsay-focused. He was the one I found myself watching more, at least.:rolleyes: I like my Danny stories, but by rights this should have been more Lindsay's than his.

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I don't think in general the actors are given enough to work with to have a body of work that would garner them Emmy nods, but Carmine has certainly turned in some worthy performances, and Eddie is consistently excellent. I agree that Gary is kind of going through the motions, though his average is above most other people's excellent. :lol: Melina is great, though the episode that gave her a real chance to shine was such a misogynistic piece of crap that I couldn't see it earning her a nod.

It's sad, but at the same time, totally a smart move for the show. Danny is the more interesting character, and the one the show and audience is invested in. Carmine is also the better actor by leaps and bounds. If this story is happening--and it is--this is the smart way to do it.

8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

I think all the contrary.Most of them are talented enough to be included in any nomination. A good actor/actress is not a tv or a cell phone you can switch on and off all the time. if an artist is good, he/she will good permanently by they will be affected by the writing of course and by the influence people (who vote) receive. Some shows are voted and they deserve the voting, but other shows are ignored just for convenience or for any other reason. I remember an assistant producer explained that in a fandom years ago ;)

I worked as Assistant Director a couple of years ago and i can recognize good actors on this show (well most of them). Gary is just GREAT and the best one in my list. Maybe because he got a great development. I hope Stella will get more development in following years because Melina is fantastic (and my favorite all the way)

Debbie :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  9. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

I think CSI NY and Vegas have great actors....CSI:Miami, even though I like most of the actors, they are not at the caliber as say WP, Gary, Melina, George Eads, etc...

10. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

...From spoilers to Emmys??? I love Eddie too, but... :lol:

Not so easy, methinks, no matter how brilliant any of them are :p

NY has an incredibly talented overall ensemble, but regardless, the material always goes a long way to providing what would ever be nominated. We can be awfully tough on TPTB just in here, I don't think it's any sweeter for them on the lots. ;)

When did the original CSI get Emmy nods back in early days? First season they were on? Second? Anything since any of the spin-offs came out? And what did they win for? Whatever the specific awards, mostly a way to acknowledge of raising the bar in crime dramas and pushing forensics forward as a whole new premise. Being the third realization in a long existing franchise probably won't ever NY help in a time when people just take for granted the quality of the show amid so many others out there.

Whatever other politics go into getting and pursuing awards recognition, the talent on NY is certainly more than strong enough to be worthy, but getting opportunity to showcase it is difficult in a large ensemble cast where a) the storytelling is generally spread out over many characters, and b) where, despite the widened focus this season, it's not a character drama but a murder mystery show. A nod for the show as a whole perhaps might be easier to achieve, but even within that, I think the show is more likely to get nods along the lines of FX, stunts, filming techniques and styles and such. That's not in the least a knock on the actors at all. I think they do garner credit and respect, and even went a long way to getting a third show taken seriously at all, and are still really what elevate it even now. But it really would take a stand out overall episode to claw out that sort of recognition, and beyond the cast, the writing, directing and editing would also have to really distinctly stand out for it all to come together.

I am actually really happy and appreciate that they are writing more for each of the characters this season, true to what TPTB actually said their intent is. The characters are what keep me tuning in week after week. Hopefully a solid fan base means as much to all of them as an Emmy might.

And uh, back on topic, as are the spoilers of interesting things to come. :p I'm looking forward to seeing Flack and Hawkes centred storylines, more Sid, more for Stella that hopefully doesn't involve someone assaulting her in any fashion, more Mac that lets him be more human, hopefully some Danny that doesn't only involve fatherhood, and most, most definitely, Adam Ross. :D

11. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

I know CSI got emmy nominations(I believe the emmy's) for the season 5 finale, in directing, and some other nominations for the their first couple of seasons.

I'm just glad we are getting more spoilers about the rest of the team)flack, Hawkes, Adam) other then D/L

12. jolein

jolein Pathologist

Great to see that Flack also gets his time in the limelight.
    This must be a big blow for him.

13. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Am looking for a you tube clip in which Gary Sinise and Melina were rehearsing the arguement for the upcoming episode. Someone said they first saw it on this thread a while ago can anyone remember it or help me find it? It was a "Fall preview vid". I gyess Gary was Flailing his arms all over! We are looking to watch it on another thread. Thank You "Thread friends!"

14. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Dear! I couldn't find the link but here you have the transcription made by Fay

Voiceover: Later in the season, there's major conflict between Mac and Stella.
    Melina: One of our top technicians is gonna be let go because of budget cuts. And Mac's like, 'No, I'm not gonna do it, we'll just get rid of those machines,' and she's like, 'No no, you can't get rid of the machines, we've gotta find another way.'
    Gary: These are valuable employees to him and people that are a part of his staff, and he's very very protective of all of them.

Debbie :D

15. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

I am so pumped about this new Flack storyline! I really hope we get to see Danny supporting him especially since Danny's been in this type of situation ("Run Silent, Run Deep", "On The Job") and Flack has always been there for him. It'd be especially nice to get another scene like we did in "...Comes Around".

I really can't wait to see Eddie's performance too. Knowing storylines like this are ahead of us makes some of the other crap they've been writing much more bearable. :lol:

Poor Flack though, I think this is going to hit him really hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.