CSI: NY Renewed For Season 8!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by vegaslights, May 17, 2011.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Here's the Fall CBS schedule courtesy of TVLine.com. The only CSI change is the Mothership moves to Wednesday (bolded are new shows):

2. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

This is good news! Although the show isnt as good as it once was, it deserves the chance to turn it around or at the least give the show a proper send-off.

3. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I'm happy NY's modified roster will continue to get a chance to play.

That said, the only things I was really surprised by was by how many new series CBS picked up, and by one or two of the scheduling choices. That, of course, can still change.

Must disagree about CMSB and LOLA. The network damaged the brand of CM with all the meddling it did on the original series, to the point where they could not rely on that audience to be a significant part of the new show they wanted to launch. They shot themselves in the foot in a bad way. There was no longer enough momentum to support a new series in the way it seemed to require.

Add into that the volume of retooling required, which got it a half-series order. With only 13 eps under it's belt, and with TGW and BB that much further ahead, it was hard to see how CBS could really hope to wring series longevity from SB as a spin-off.

The re-tooling didn't work either; this is where it gets somewhat subjective, but it certainly didn't grab and maintain my attention; in fact, as a casual viewer who gave it a shot, it faded from interest rapidly. It would have required all the more re-working to come back, and with all the new series picked up, I'm not surprised CBS cut their losses and have moved on to some new things (as well as now tinkering with BB).

As for LOLA, it did undergo a drastic makeover, and still didn't find its feet. More subjective opinion here, but I thought it was really surprisingly poor. Despite the talent enlisted. NBC is nearly permanently hobbled for how many times it has shot themselves in the lower quadrants. I'm not surprised this one is gone either.

I agree, the early years remain the strongest, but S7 was, IMO, certainly a step up from the past 3.

I think the whole franchise has struggled, but it's also pretty respectable as a teevee phenomenon. Three series lasting as long as they have? Pretty boggling, given how soon shows can be jettisoned.

I guess I view CSI as the motherwell that's hit a bit of an empty nest syndrome, CSI:Miami as the comic book version (it's pretty difficult for me to view it as a forensic procedural all told :lol:) and I guess I'd call NY the graphic novel version :p.

I think CSI will benefit from the move from Thursday. Not surprised to see TGW go so Sunday, but am sorta "hmmm" on how that whole Sunday line up meshes. I guess CBS like the Friday line up, and hope that tinkering with BB to better fit their mold will further help. A lot of scripted shows on Fridays now.

I'm just happy NY remains one of them, despite nearly being killed by the shift to the death slot. So long as the 3 keep making money to pay for themselves, and until the network manage to gain confidence in what will succeed them in carrying the network forward, I guess they'll stick around. (They're still looking, given H50 wasn't quite the runaway smash they wanted, despite the money that the combo of old/new variants is set to bring in). If this is the year where that transition takes place, it sounds like we'll at least get a full season to wrap things up :)

I would guess (and hope) that NY has been offered a full order, or at least 13 up front with the strong likelihood of a back nine. Why would they cut their profits short, if it's still an earner. I'm a happy, happy camper :p

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Very happy when I saw the news yesterday! This is awesome. :D

5. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Happy that the show is back. I also like that they will still be back-to-back with Blue Bloods. It's a great 2 hours of viewing.

6. byline

byline CSI Level One

I dislike acronyms -- beyond the common, everyday ones -- because they presume that everyone knows what they stand for. After pondering it for a few minutes, I decided that "LOLA" must stand for "Law & Order: Los Angeles"? Part of the reason that's a question mark was because I never referred to that particular series in my post (only "CSI: New York" and "Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior"), and yet you're saying you disagree with me.

I understand your point about the powers that be messing with the original "Criminal Minds" to the point of damaging the brand, but I also think that at least they've made the effort to acknowledge their mistake by bringing back the displaced cast members. However, I don't think the retooling, in and of itself, would be sufficient reason not to develop a spin-off series, especially one that struck me as having so much potential as "Suspect Behavior" did. But that's a fairly subjective argument, one that we could debate ad nauseam and never really come up with a purely objective reason for why one gained a loyal following which the other wasn't able to build.

As for "Law & Order: Los Angeles," I was a faithful "Law & Order" (mothership) viewer and still don't like the fact that NBC canceled that series just as it had hit its dramatic (if not commercial) stride again, though I can understand some of the practical reasons behind its cancellation. So I didn't watch the L.A. spin-off till fairly recently . . . and was surprised at how good it was. Still, that may have been post retooling that they've done, which is possibly a "too little, too late" move. But I do think it's a shame that, given its improvement, it wasn't given more of a chance to develop.

7. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

It wins the good. Iam very happy. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

8. Duckie

Duckie Civilian

How do you know if you have a Nielsen box? Can you buy one?

9. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

My apologies. For better or for worse, it's a habit I seem to have succumbed to (...:shifty: :p).

What I and yet did was somehow brilliantly omit another quote I'd had in my post :p.

That of:
    My bad.

I don't entirely disagree, in that I think Suspect Behavior did have enormous potential, but I think it was never tapped into sufficiently.

The idea of a spin off was interesting, but the pilot itself was pretty disappointing for me. That was one reason I was surprised the show got an order at all. I'd have to guess CBS felt similarly, that the show needed some work and only ordered a half season. Some might argue the casting. I was looking forward to Forest Whitaker. I don't think he was brilliant in the part, I found the character somewhat overly zen and reaching to invest profundity a little to profusely, but I think he could have found a niche. I don't think he actually wound up anchoring the show.

I don't think Suspect Behavior worked the Red Cell aspect enough to make itself more distinct from Criminal Minds. I thought the spin off might branch out the types of investigations the FBI undertakes, given the scope of what it covers. I had hoped that the show might have found a way into homeland security or counter-terrorism, etc., especially given the red cell premise, and how profiling might have fit into that in order to keep within the Criminal Minds realm. As it was, the exit story that Criminal Minds wrote for Brewster's character touched on that element more than the spin off did - a show that self-identified its Red Cell aspect as what would separate it from the original.

I think the casting hadn't settled, I think the show hadn't yet found a distinct flavor. It also felt darker and pushing some aspects to further extremes as a deliberate tactic. I don't think it needed to. I think the show would have needed further and rather significant re-working. That's not a reason not to renew a show at all. CBS is looking to re-work Blue Bloods, for example. CSINY itself underwent a network mandated make-over post S1 (with mixed results; I like a lot about S1 that was subsequently lost :p). But I do think that the 13 ep order Suspect Behavior initially got hurt them here.

With fewer episodes to grow a following, and perhaps just assuming a certain in-built success due Criminal Minds, as a name and also a lead in, I think that CBS was overly relying on the Criminal Minds audience to become part of Suspect Behavior's, despite the backlash they set upon themselves. Without those numbers to bolster the audience Suspect Behavior did manage to garner, and with the show that far behind in episodes produced, perhaps it just wasn't enough for CBS to want to invest further in.

I think the network was caught a little off guard by the (very swift) outcry and general distaste after their initial cuts & changes on Criminal Minds were (rather bluntly) announced (while Joe Mantegna was overseas promoting the show, unawares, no less). I think the back-peddling regarding re-hiring Cook and optioning Brewster, and subsequent general spin about it was about stopping the hemorrhaging; in a way, not renewing Suspect Behavior I view as being part of that, I think it became clear just how far reaching the impact was going to be on the spin-off, which unfortunately came to be judged by a little more than just it's own content as a show.

It all combined to pretty much nullify turning CM into a franchise, despite the early potential. I'm not wholly convinced that the network would be willing to term bringing back AJ Cook and optioning Paget Brewster as an acknowledgment of error, but yeah, it will help mollify and moreover retain the core audience of a show they still very much rely on. That's about all they're likely to admit to :lol:.

I will admit that I don't watch much of any Law & Order shows often anymore. I don't know where things were at on the mothership, dramatically-speaking, which got cut short by its cancellation.

I did wonder at the time if NBC might give the original one more (at least half) season, and was perplexed when they cancelled the one, and then tried to wring one more whole brand new spin-off series out of the name instead. Seemed grasping somehow, I don't know. I guess it was testament to the (apparently stretched thin) development slate they had, especially once Leno's 5 hrs had been redistributed. That, and some internal Wolfe/network haggling that went south, perhaps. I don't know the story. NBC's had an interesting coupla years, anyways :p.

It seemed bold to me to re-work the show so drastically while in-season. That said, there's little doubt that being benched for so long between it's first and second run hurt them in terms of growing an audience; even with the adjustments the show still didn't catch on (enough for NBC's liking anyways). That it got the chance to adjust and try again is still more than other shows got.

(I think Fox's Lonestar is still gonna be the ultimate case study for extremes. I mean, dang :lol:).

Law & Order Los Angeles is also only one of at least a half-dozen shows NBC cancelled. I have no idea if it would have tightened up further, given the chance to continue. With all the internal tinkering and rebuilding the network itself has been undergoing, that may be reflected in some of the choices they've made in looking forward, who knows. It would seem they still haven't completely found a path.

I don't know how it works, but no, it's not something you can buy or initiate. I believe Nielson Media select/sample/contact people randomly to track and gather info :)

-

(Sry for diverting talk from NY)

10. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

YES!!!!! my life is complete for now!! my summer will not be spent in pain or agony or whining because my favorite addic...television show isn't coming back!! i told half my friends. none of them understood what it meant to me. but you all do!! :D :p

11. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

sadly, you can't buy a neilson box. apparently neilson contacts you, not the other way around. D:

12. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Gary on Twitter:

Thanks to everyone for pulling for CSI NY. I am very happy to be coming back for season 8.

Hurray, Hurray, Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::guffaw::lol::guffaw:

13. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I read somewhere that you're not supposed to publicize if you have a Neilson box.

Some cousins of mine had the local equivalent of a Neilson box many years back. I remember they had to key in every half hour or so exactly who in the household (and guests) was watching the channel.

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

Aaaahhhhh, thanks for clearing that up!

Not publicly, for sure . . . but the very fact that they made the correction says something.

Creatively, "Law & Order" had a renewed energy in its last two seasons, but my understanding is that it had become prohibitively expensive to produce, especially when you consider how long some of the cast members had been on the show. I'm sure that the decision to create an L.A. spin-off that could be filmed in California, not New York, and with (I assume) a cheaper cast and crew was strictly an economic one, which is part of why I had no intention of watching it. But, the TV wasteland being what it is, I was channel-flipping one night, came across the L.A. spin-off and surprised myself by liking it. Hubby, also a fan of the mothership but none of the spin-offs, thought it was good, too. But I guess it's probably a case of things coming together too late to save the show.

15. UKFAN

UKFAN Dead on Arrival

I entirely agree with these comments, although for me season 4 was where the programme reached its peak and I know I am going to offend Sela Ward fans, but she really does not have the same chemistry with the rest of the cast like Melina did and sorry it does show and I'm afraid that it made the show that much more boring.

However, every good thing comes to an end and perhaps after season 8 this programme should be put to bed. What I would like to see is Mac go off to New Orleans to be with Stella; Danny and Lindsay start a new life in Montana with Lucy; Hawkes return to medicine; Flack killed off (sorry someone should die and he was the only one I could think off) as for the loveable Adam and Sid and the most boring woman on this planet Jo will stay working in the lab. The End