CSI: New York--'Sleight Out Of Hand'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Mar 1, 2007.

1. JulieAnne

JulieAnne Civilian

I've been reading these reviews for months, and finally signed up to give my two cents. I agree that the DL scripting has been horrible, it's been much more about looks and gestures than meaningful dialogue. However, I'm hoping that the whole story line is redeemed when the actually hook up - I guess in the next few episodes - and they can be back to their normal selves. They were great together when Anna first joined the show, with all the "montana" jokes, but when romance started to bloom they lost all that. I'm hoping that once they're comfortable with their new relationship that all the emotional strain is gone, and the writers feel that they can go back to being open and candid with each other. I think the storyline is good, but execution has been poor. And I do think that Anna is a good actress, given the right lines to work with. She was a breath of fresh air when she first joined the show.

2. d2400

d2400 Hit and Run

I am definitely not "hating" Anna Belknap's acting. I think what bugs me most is the storyline. Maybe they spent a bit to much time on it or took to long to tie it up. I also just don't think the two of them work on screen. Like I mentioned before, I could see him with that Det. Angell. It's just kind of uncomfortable to watch the two characters together. Not that I dislike the show because of it. The show (the whole CSI franchise in fact) is probably one of the best thing that has been on TV in years. Maybe if they just showed us little bits of it like they do the Mac/Payton thing it wouldn't be so bad. I like the edge that they have given they character of Danny from the start. They kind of lost that in this storyline a bit. But in Carmine's defense, he has always played this character to perfection.

3. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

d2400 , you bring up a good point, with the storyline. I for one am pro-romance for Danny, I just don't feel that Anna has portrayed the character of Lindsay into a equal partner for Danny. Part of it is indeed the writing, it hasn't been up to par for the execution of the romance that I assume they are wanting?

I haven't seen that Anna plays well off of Carmine's character of Danny, and instead of a maturity of Danny, a emasculation of him is what I have found. I guess if I wanted Danny to fall in love with someone or have feelings for another, that the person be of equal caliber to him and can play better off of him. Someone who will make him want to be a better person- but not to lose his personality that makes him so unique and edgy.

Carmine has done an amazing job with his character of Danny, kudos to him for bringing such energy to the show (along with the rest of the amazing cast!) I see the chemistry and energy he has with every other character on the show- all of them. It is real and it works- it just doesn't with Anna- and she is supposed to be his romantic equal? It doesn't make much sense.

4. FrellingBlonde

FrellingBlonde Victim

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, like I said. I'm just sick and tired of the reviewer shoving her opinion down our throats. I GET it. She doesn't like Lindsay. That could not be more clear if she wrote "I don't like Lindsay" on a mallet and repeatedly beat us over the head with it! Find something new to say.

My grandma always liked to say "If all you have to say is how awful someone else is, well, what's so great about you?" For a woman who kept a used kleenex up her sleeve, she was pretty sharp...

5. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Joke or no joke?

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

A review isn't a summary. The summary comes at the top. The review itself is based on the author's opinion. Otherwise, what is the point? If there's a problem with posting a negative opinion over and over again, then is there not also a problem with posting that Flack is a fantastic character over and over again? It might get shoved down someone's throat, after all.

For someone who is on a crusade to end the negativity against Lindsay, you manage to include quite a bit of negativity yourself.

7. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

In the history of these reviews that Kristine has been writing for all three shows, she has -- from what I've observed -- been willing to give credit where credit is due. In other threads on this board, she has admitted to liking Lindsay a little when she first started. Unfortunately, neither the writing nor the acting has been up to snuff where this character is concerned.

Part of the job of writing these reviews is to also highlight those incidences where the acting, directing, writing, etc. are not working. If there has been one thing that has been consistent about Lindsay Monroe this season, it's been that the character was a dead weight on the cast. More than one person has said so, independent of these reviews.

There have been tomes written all over this board on both sides of this. What is it that draws you to the character? Telling the reviewer to "find something new to say" is not a very helpful critique. If you think that the reviews are full of crap and can put forth compelling and articulate reasons why this is so, then by all means, please post them. :rolleyes: If you state them well, and don't turn them into personal attacks against the reviewer, I'm pretty sure they will be well-received. Alternatively, you could also post your own review in this space. You will likely find that it's not exactly the cakewalk that it might appear to be.

8. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

[​IMG]

I liked the review, Kristine. You have a great talent in writing. Keep with it. :)

9. d2400

d2400 Hit and Run

From what I read on other sites etc., I think the consensus is pretty much the same about the dynamic of the Danny/Lindsay match. You can't fault the reviewer for giving doing what she is suppose to be doing (i.e. giving her opinion). I could be wrong but I think maybe they should step away from the romance....okay, maybe just tease us a bit with it :) and stick with the crime solving. Or maybe continue to go into other parts (just a bit) of the characters personal lives besides the romantic aspects (Stella's HIV scare, Danny and his brother etc.) But always focus on the forensics!! The show has still got the best writers on TV though!!!!

10. FrellingBlonde

FrellingBlonde Victim

I'm not on a crusade to end negativity about Lindsay. I never even said I liked her. I'm indifferent to her, she's a fictional character. I'm just saying that the reviewer has made her point, and what could be, like I said, interesting and insightful reviews, are getting to be pretty boring.

Obviously, I have the option of not reading the reviews. But I (usually) enjoy reading other viewers' thoughts about an episode. Until those thoughts become basically the same. exact. thing, week after week.

11. Faylinn

She's a fictional character, we're all complete strangers, and yet we're arguing ad nauseaum over the same thing.

If what the reviewer is discussing is 'the same. exact. thing, week after week,' then how can she be expected to change her opinion from week to week?

I'm done with this discussion. I'm going from forum to forum, and thread to thread, defending the right for someone to have an opinion that isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I have to say, that is getting pretty boring.

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

The whole thing with Lindsay's character is getting 'Sleightly out of hand'ba duh bump. :p There's that like her and those who dont. We just have to live with those who have different opinions of her.

13. Faylinn

Ouch, I think I cringed a little bit. :lol:

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

:lol: Is that a good thing or bad? :lol:

15. Faylinn

It's either bad in a good way, or good in a bad way. :lol: