CSI Jumping the Shark?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Raw_Alex, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Re: GSR, Miniature Killer, Sara in Peril: Jumping the Shark

I don't watch it just for the Grissom and Sara character developments, I watch it for all the other guys too. Like I loved the Greg storyline. Now there was an unrealistic storyline. He wouldn't have been there on his own, etc. It's just silly, but it made for great tv.
    Oh and the Catherine storyline from the beginning of season 7. Nick's far too nice a guy to leave her on her own, in a bar, in a rough city, it wouldn't happen. If he didn't though, the following episodes wouldn't have been so great. You know?
    That's what I love about the show, it's got some great drama, mixed in with great (*cough*) science. :p

2. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

sarahvma said:
    The pilot was an introduction and we got to know Cath has a daughter. Warrick's gamling pertained to the fact that him being a CSI made him privy to information that the judge was able to use. Nick and the detective actually worked a case.

That all pertains to work. Now sara shaving Griss in their livingroom had nothing to do with anything expect showing us the affair. And that's the difference between a soap and a procedural drama.

All the examples you mentioned factored in on their work as CSIs.

3. Grizzom

Grizzom Witness

New shark sighting - Grissom recycles a quote tonight (in A La Cart - see spoiler thread for exact details).

Relevant excerpt from the Wikipedia article about shark jumping: "Recycling of old plots, scripts, characters and continuity points from previous seasons (e.g., Bewitched, Charmed, Three's Company);"

For some reason, this slip bothers me a lot!

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Okay, then. How was Catherine showing up to the apartment of her boyfriend pertaining to the case? How was Warrick hitting on the jazz singer pertaining to the case? How was Catherine and Grissom going to a movie pertaining to the case? How was Greg hitting on lab techs pertaining to the case? How was Nick hanging out with his Texas A&M buddies pertaining to the case?

CSI has always shown irrelevant scenes that have nothing to do with the cases and everything to do with the characters' private lives.

5. Bev

Bev Pathologist

6. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

I think we would not know the characters at all if CSI didn't dwelve into some of their personal life. I don't think anyone is really arguing that we shouldn't get a sight of who they are personally. The problem is when the "personal" part of the show outweighs "the science" that it becomes too informative and pulls CSI away from what it is about. I don't think anything that you have mentioned above has changed "the science" of CSI.

7. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

That is opinion, not fact. I don't see GSR "taking over" the show. But I'm aware that that is my opinion. The fact is that the volume of personal moments has not changed dramatically since the show began, just who they were about.

8. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

Note To ALL:

Since the GSR issue as it pertains to whether it contributes to "CSI Jumping the Shark" is apparently unable to be discussed in a civilized manner then please leave off this particular issue.

As mentioned previous times in this thread, this is NOT the GSR thread; that thread is in Shipper Central. Please feel more than free to continue any "GSR:Yes! vs GSR:No!" in that thread. This applies to all other 'ship-like discussions as well.

Thank you.

9. hellogilbert

hellogilbert Prime Suspect

Just my opinion, overbearing though it may be, but CSI won't see Season 9 if Sara doesn't.

10. Grizzom

Grizzom Witness

Since I can't edit my last post any more (about the repeated line), I just want to take it back. Others have convinced me that much of the show had little jokes about past episodes. The one that really convinced me was when they pulled the checkered uniform out of the go-kart kid's car. I had just seen Leaving Las Vegas that day, so I recognized it immediately.

Thank God, the writers are still on top of some things.

11. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

I don't think CSI will fail to come back for season 9 because JF is missing from the cast. So far CSI is racking in the viewers...which is a good thing. CBS would be crazy to stop a good show that is still getting better ratings than most of the new shows out there. JMO.

However if MH and WP choose to not resign their contracts...perhaps season 9 will not happen.

12. yamanbaia

yamanbaia Dead on Arrival

This people (main cast) would be crazy for wanting to quit, most people just like them BECAUSE they are in CSI, they where B class actors before, and after CSI they'll be "that guy/gal from CSI".

If i hear one of them wanted to quit i would sit with them like a school counsel and go: "ok, so you quit. What happens next? you see? nothing. Just ..nahh no complains, come on be a good boy and don't throw out the best thing that ever happened to your pocket...ok?, good boy!"

13. LaSquisita

LaSquisita Rookie

I have known many actors in my life and there is at least one constant.
    Actors don't become actors so they can get a steady job and make tons of money. If they wanted that, they would have become accountants or stock brokers.
    It is the opportunity to play a variety of roles, to go to different places to work, that make acting exciting.
    Theater/movie people have low tolerances for endless repetition. They want change and challenge in life.
    LaSquisita

14. yamanbaia

yamanbaia Dead on Arrival

That's probably why most of them do not spend their money buying mansions on LA hills, and getting new cars every week once they succeed.
    They are not a different species, they like money just like any other person, or are you telling me that every single thing the CSI cast have done was so as to "explore" and nourish their intellect?
    Eads, Helgenberger, and Dourdan where B-class before, they have already done all the "vie boheme" thing for years, i bet they are quite happy getting a monthly check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.