CSI Jumping the Shark?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Raw_Alex, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Re: GSR, Miniature Killer, Sara in Peril: Jumping the Shark

No, you have someone responding. Just like you're responding to me.

This is a discussion board. If you want to just post the way you feel without having it discussed, make a blog.

And I'm trying to say stop telling us we can't respond. Once again - discussion board, not a blog.

2. S_Bright

S_Bright Police Officer

Exactly.

Stop watching the show is such a strong argument in the discussion about if CSI has jumped the shark or not. :rolleyes:

3. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

It is if the people who are trying to convince us that the show is awful are still watching it. The question is: if the show has jumped the shark, and it's really bad, why are you still watching?

So if the show truly has jumped, wouldn't you *want* to stop?

4. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

I personally think the rating for the premiere mainly dealt with people tuning in to see if Sara survived or not. I have mixed feelings regarding the episode. I think it was too Sara centered, even more so than Grave Danger when Nick was buried alive. The truth is nothing can compare to Grave Danger...it was just a very well written show, and it reflected so much and we didn't just see Nick suffering, but we got to see how all the others felt regarding his kidnapping.

Back to my point of the season 8 premiere being too Sara centered...I just mean that all we basically saw was how she managed to survive--which to me was way over the top and very unrealistic. I just don't see it raining so much in Las Vegas (in a desert no less) to create such a huge amount of rainfall for her to be drowning under a car. Then she manages to get out from under it--I guess because the lake that she now has around her (even though she is in a desert) has taken some of the weight from the car, and she's able to pry herself loose and swim her way out of it. :rolleyes:

Then you take someone that has repeatedly been known for their intelligence, and reduce her to a complete idiot as she strolls through the desert like she is walking around a park that is shaded. Not only did she walk away from her crime scene...which would have been an easy finding point, but she walks throughout the desert in the heat of the day?!?! To me that isn't something Sara would have done even in her worst circumstances...she is far too smart for that.

I'm personally glad the MCSK s/l is done and over with. It's seemed all that story line really tried to capture towards the end was sympathy for GSR or more support for the couple, and I didn't feel sorry for either of them. I'm glad Sara is okay, and didn't die like that, but I personally think that if she did the premiere would have had a drastic impact. The premiere just failed to capture the personal side like grave danger did. Perhaps the writers didn't want an emotional episode or maybe they failed at doing their jobs. Even the BTK Series that had mixed reviews...had more of a personal touch, and it had a lot of stuff shoved into it.

But...I don't feel the show has JTS because even through all the GSR stuff that I have had to watch...I still do enjoy it. And, I just hope that CSI continues to bring in the ratings...this show is still so huge, and I wonder if CBS really plans on getting rid of it after this season.

5. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

i am not the one telling people to stop watching the show :rolleyes: or saying we shouldn't criticize the show...

And i fail to see how DD showed how Sara 'survived'...she was just wandering around for no particular reason, and STILL needed to be rescued.

6. Waiting

Waiting CSI Level One

xfcanadian,

not sure if you are referencing my comment...

If she never got herself out of the car that was filling will water(even though she was in a desert :lol: ) she would have died. She survived that part by getting out of the flooding car. :rolleyes: Then she walked aimlessing throughout the desert...still surviving until she was rescued. So in essense she had to be rescued as well.

7. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

^ well, i was just adding on to the many plot holes in this eppy...

ah, i see your point...and i guess you could call her wandering around in slow motion surviving...but it really has nothing to do with her being sara...its about how tolerant your body is to heat, how fast your body loses water, etc. It comes down to for the most part to physiology...Overall, she still need to be rescued...with the slow motion cars coming...if it was at night, they could have reused the scene from Grave danger!

I don't see how there was enough water in that hole to lift that car upwards...yeah, when they showed her swimming, i was laughing pretty hard, it was bad :lol:

8. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Re: CSI: Jumping the Shark?

*sigh* Know what I think? Course you do.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, just as everyone is entitled to disagree with opinions, what know one is entitled to is attacking someone for having them, including telling them to leave the board, insinuating they shouldn't post their opinions, or to stop watching the show because of their opinion.

This thread has slightly jumped the shark, and I would appreciate it if it went back on topic, there are two types of debates, one is controlled (this is good) everyone keeps it friendly. Then there is the un-controlled and all that does is cause fights in which someone just might get warned. Not something either Myself or Tally relish doing.

9. Bev

Bev Pathologist

I believe tonights ratings will tell us if CSI jumped the shark or not. If there's a loss of viewers, its safe to assume that some people watched the premiere just to see if Sara lived.

10. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

I thought that was kind of the point of the ep? That's why I was so frantic to watch it. lol :rolleyes:
    o_O Where was it off topic?

11. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

The ratings will go down tonight, but I don't think that it will indicate if the show has jumped the shark. There was a cliffhanger, pushing more people to watch the show live than record it or watch the downloadable version the next day.

It was declared that the show jumped the shark after Season 6. The fact that 25 million people tuned in at all says that they're probably still watching, just that with The Office, 30 Rock and Grey's opposite them, watching live isn't as possible as it once was.

26 million people tuned in to see if Grissom was leaving. Those people left afterwards, but have returned again.

My guess is that 25-26 million people watch CSI regularly, they just don't all watch it live.

12. Bev

Bev Pathologist

Yeah, but if that was the only reason to watch it, doesn't that mean the show has jumped the shark?

Isn't CSI about cases not just the personal lives of a couple of co-workers? I guess not.

13. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

To watch it live, sure. I love House, but I don't really care if I have to watch my friend's tape of it a few days later, rather than right on the day. It's not appointment TV for me. I imagine people feel the same way about CSI. If it's just another random case, they can catch it any time during the week. If it's a big story people at the watercooler might discuss the next morning, I want to see it live.

What I really don't understand about the arguments against GSR is that people talk as though it's the first personal storyline ever on the show, or at least the one with the greatest prominance.

Not true. What did Catherine going home to her daughter at the end of the pilot have to do with the cases? What did Warrick's gambling addiction in Season 1 have to do with cases? What did Nick's date with the blonde detective in Season 1 have to do with cases?

Personal lives have always been a part of CSI. The only difference is that they now involve two CSIs simultaneously.

14. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I agree Bev, it's meant to be about the cases and science with a bit of personal information. But not so much that it takes over and the orgianl reasons have been over looked.

15. Bev

Bev Pathologist

Yup. That's my point exactly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.