CSI: Cyber

Discussion in 'CSI: Cyber' started by Faylinn, Aug 7, 2014.

?

Will you watch CSI: Cyber?

1. Yes, absolutely!

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Maybe, I'll have to wait and see.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Probably not, but I might change my mind.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. No, absolutely not!

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. A.D.A.M

A.D.A.M Rookie

Yes, Cyber repeat had good numbers. I thought it will be around 0.6 but it had 0.9 and more than 5 milions viewers. I think how 22 episodes will be working cause in first 13 episodes were bad episodes so what with 22...

2. Coco Pops 1967

Coco Pops 1967 Victim

I am watching this but it's the worst of all the CSI series ever.

What were they thinking?

Episode 1 was good but so much stuff annoyed me. 3D holograms that you can interact with. Tony Stark must have sold them that.

Not too fussed over the couple drowning in the car, I'd call that karma

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  3. Coco Pops 1967

Coco Pops 1967 Victim

.,,,,, edit

4. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Quite honestly I don't much believe it will be ever aired in my country, especially if ratings are not at the top.
    However here some tv channels tend to pick up less popular shows just trying to entertain the ever digitalized public of young age and always hiding behind their iPhones.

However I'm not huge fan of the cast since I believe I know only one of them.
    This should not be ruler but to me it's important to watch a show with actors I like seeing on screen and so far CSI's have dunnit greatly with their cast.
    This however feels bit shady for my taste.

Haven't even heard of the other mentioned show- Intelligence- but seems like something remotely smart.
    Although I have a bit turned high-end and found myself appreciating some smart stuff (Sherlock, White Collar...) so CSI:Cyber also should fall into the "smartalec" category.

Interesting though..

Edit: the timeslot might not be the worst. I still believe Saturdays are worst if you actually have a life.
    Though if you work at Sundays it's not best time either.
    Fridays are better unless you finish your shift early and don't have a life.

To me- never.
    I work graveyard shifts (finally can use that CSI reference:D) on odd days so there's no room for tv anyway (nor I can watch at work- internet is a nonexistant there unless using data) besides I've finally gotten what they call an RL (real life) which also denies me tv watching unless it's horror movie or occasional White Collar episode on days I've deserved.

So timeslot aimed at the adequate demography is an essential here.

And then one must have a truly unique and/or eye/mind catching storyline to be exciting enough. I believe public is thirsty for fresh stories and someting "wow".

Loved the Tony Stark remark ;)
    That now got me intrigued!
    I watched Agents of Shield on odd days (thanks for app tv3!)
    So if there's enough of sci-fi-ish elements in the show I might be sold for it. However if they still get odd collection of actors to show for it I won't be sold that easily like some other shows with less sci-fi-ish-ness did.

But that's just me. I'm a grown viewer these years and my taste has enhanced over the decades.
    Plus the show should go with my imagination speeds to keep my attention to it. Or sustain enough of H/C and combination of attractive looking intellingent characters/actors.

LOL :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

A show like this is a bit odd, in terms of sci-fi vs realism. Because it is based on real-world stuff (there's usually at least a few articles to find online that are relevant to any plot, however far-fetched it may seem), but they obviously take liberties to make it bigger and more exciting. The other CSIs did the same thing, with some of their technology, but this is the ~CYBER~ version, so it seems more out-there. And because people are so into computers and whatnot, any and all mistakes/exaggerations are received with a lot of annoyance and sometimes even anger from the online/hacker community.

It seems like a tricky balance to keep, basing it on real-world cases and information and potential, but using poetic license to entertain the audience without going too far into fiction land. A show like this tries to appeal to a younger audience, but seems to have trouble getting those viewers to tune in--but with the premise of the show, it also seems to have trouble appealing to the older audience that likes the original CSIs. (My mom, for example, loves the CSI shows, but she has trouble understanding Cyber.) It's interesting, really...

I always kind of feel like I have to defend the cast of this show because people tend to think it's pretty odd! :p Patricia Arquette is obviously talented, but sometimes she does seem like an odd fit for a tech-based version of CSI. James Van Der Beek is always going to be Dawson Leery to a lot of people, no matter what else he does or how he proves that he's a good actor, so I think a lot of people don't take him seriously. (And on Cyber, he's a badass FBI agent named Elijah Mundo, for pete's sake! lol) Then of course you have Shad Moss, aka Bow Wow, and people definitely have preconceptions when you've got a rapper-turned-actor in the cast. I think he's pretty good, though. Peter MacNicol is fantastic, but he's not coming back for season two, so it doesn't seem necessary to say much about him. The other main members of the cast, Charley Koontz and Hayley Kiyoko, aren't actors I'm familiar with from anything else, so I don't know much about any assumptions that might go along with them.

So anyway, it kind of is an odd collection of actors, but I think they're alright. Of course, I think Cyber is best when you don't take any part of it too seriously, so that helps. ;)

Timeslots in the US are kind of strange and complicated, IMO. Hardly anything new airs on Saturday nights, unless the network is burning off remaining episodes of a show they're getting rid of. (Meanwhile, I think Doctor Who and stuff like that airs on Saturday in the UK, which seems strange from my perspective since Saturday is such a dead night here in terms of new TV.) Sunday isn't automatically a bad night (I think Game of Thrones and probably other popular shows do just fine on Sundays), but it doesn't seem to be as popular as some other nights, and with football pushing the schedule back on CBS at the start of the season--it hurt CSI last season, and CSI was much more established, with a dedicated audience. Cyber doesn't have the benefit of 14 previous seasons worth of loyalty to keep people tuning in. And the shows they air it with matter too. I don't know if Madam Secretary and The Good Wife are any better of a fit with Cyber than they were with CSI.

I dunno, timeslots are weird. It matters a lot for some shows, while other shows will do just fine regardless of where you stick them in the schedule. In the case of CSI: Cyber, combined with other stuff (complaints about realism, difficulty finding an audience, etc), it's one more thing to make it more difficult for Cyber to really succeed...

6. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Okay I know of Peter MacNicol from Num3rs and there I realised I've seen him in an old medical drama before, so I know him.
    Patricia Arquette is a heard-only name with no clear picture of her.
    And the rest of names are equally unknown.

However, it takes an episode to judge whether one likes or not. Usually the first episode is what tells whether I would watch or not.

Otherwise I think about the same way.
    After all it's up to viewer's taste. What one would love other might find crap.

And guess timeslots are weird all around the globe.
    But for some people weekends are the great time for tv watching while for others not.

To me tv has become an extra. And if I get to move I'm willing to take part in then radio will become my extra and my G900F only connection to the occasional glimpse at my old passions (and all that in secret),
    But if not then I guess 10€ per month of watching 30-odd channels whenever I'm not at graveyard shift...
    Who knows...

But I would love to get a peek into that Cyber verse...

7. Faylinn

Yeah, people's tastes definitely differ, but I guess that's why it's good there are so darn many shows out there to choose from! Everybody can find something they like. ;)

If you give Cyber a shot, I'd be curious to know how you felt about it. As with any show, I think it took some time to get its footing (and will still continue to do so in season 2), but a first impression is a first impression.

I used to love watching TV, but these days I barely keep up with anything. I only pay attention to the shows that we cover on CSI Files, that's the only stuff I watched last year--and that still feels like a lot sometimes. :p There are so many shows I enjoyed but gave up on because I didn't have the time or the energy to watch them, go figure. lol

8. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Lol, what an irony.
    Just when I posted that Cyber may never see tv screens in my country I came over to my bf's and, voila, they advertised Cyber on one of MTG's channels I don't have at mom's. :D

So if I get to watch it on TVplay app (app for number of MTG's channels for some shows to be watched) I'll let you know my thoughts.
    Though for now I'm not sure if I get to like the cast as much as other CSI's.
    But won't get ahead of myself and wait for a chance to watch it :)

9. Faylinn

Haha, well let us know if you get a chance to watch it! I'm curious to hear your opinion. :)

10. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

I got the chance to watch it! Only it was episode 2.
    Well...
    I liked it. One of seemed either reminding someone else or seen on another show long time ago.

At least it was kind of an interesting watch.
    However I don't really connected all the dots about the "CSI" part in it. I would rather "FBI Cyber" instead, since they are, afterall, an FBI organization.

From all of them I liked Raven (if I got her name correct) lass. She was cool character. And I liked how she replied to the new guy about their boss controlling with who they meet up. It was like "hey, the world's not all about you" kinda like attitude and I think it made the guy feel better.

Kinda like reminding my jealous bf who doesn't let me meet up with my friends bc they are bad crowd for me (protective type I guess, likes to care about the company I am with so I don't do anything "bad" lol). I really felt for him when boss came up to his door and told him to get rid of that hacker girl.

11. Faylinn

I'm glad you got to check it out! I like Raven too--she's not in the first season as much as I would have liked, but hopefully she'll have a bigger role in season two. :D

Yeah, I guess it's because it's a recognizable name/franchise more than anything else. It's also sort of...I dunno, maybe a natural extension of the high tech forensics to jump into computer forensics. (Follow the digital evidence! ;)) With DB joining the crew, I'll be curious to see if season two has more of the traditional CSI vibe or not...

12. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Ha ha, uf DB's there then I may adjust to CSI title anyway lol. He'd be like a logical continue for that franchise line, LOL :)

But yes, whenever I'll be able gotta catch up on this one.
    However, at our new flat it won't happen since there's no internet yet and most likely won't be unless I gather my guts and sneak off to library :D