CSI: Cyber

Discussion in 'CSI: Cyber' started by Faylinn, Aug 7, 2014.

?

Will you watch CSI: Cyber?

1. Yes, absolutely!

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Maybe, I'll have to wait and see.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Probably not, but I might change my mind.

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. No, absolutely not!

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Since we don't have a forum for the new spinoff (yet!), here's a thread to talk about the show for now. :)

So far, the cast consists of Patricia Arquette, of course, along with Peter MacNicol, James Van Der Beek and Charley Koontz. (Here's the link to all of the CSI: Cyber news on CSI Files.)

Do you have any thoughts about the casting? Are you planning to watch the spinoff? (I've included a poll, for curiosity's sake. :))

With the way they're airing the show (waiting until CSI has finished its season, then putting Cyber in its timeslot), there isn't really an opportunity for a traditional crossover this season--but I'd be curious to see if they might include characters from one show in the other, as a crossover of sorts. Probably not, but you never know!

2. A.D.A.M

A.D.A.M Rookie

Well I think that cast is strong now. I will watch absolutely and I hope that Cyber will return with second season and will be strong in the time slot. Shame that CBS move CSI and Cyber on 10 p.m on Sunday - remember CSI Miami after 8 season from monday to sunday... But I strong believe in new spin-off cause I think it's a good idea for something new ;)

3. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I'll watch anything once. But, I'm still angry over Intelligence getting cancelled, which is what CSI: Cyber should be. :p

4. A.D.A.M

A.D.A.M Rookie

Well I'm still angry that CBS cancel CSI: Miami, but I hope that Cyber will be great cause CSI 14x21 was the second best episode from season 14 for me.

5. Faylinn

Sunday is sort of an odd night--I don't think it's supposed to be a bad spot (Friday is the "bad" night), but with the run-over that pushes the schedule back, it gets irritating. :scream:

I wonder if not having as many repeats will help the ratings? Since CSI is going to run straight through to the spring (with a few weeks off around Christmas/New Year's, I'm sure), it might help the show maintain momentum and give Cyber a nice push...

Splitting the timeslot between the original and the spinoff is an interesting idea, though. We'll see how it works out!

I think Cyber is similar to Intelligence in some ways, but completely different at the same time. I'm curious to see how the whole 'cyber crimes' premise works in a series format, instead of a limited story like "Kitty". Hopefully we'll see some really unique and interesting story ideas, not just the same few (sex) crimes told twenty different ways.

Oh man, I still get nostalgic over CSI: NY and Miami sometimes. But I'm trying not to let my feelings about the cancelled spinoffs affect my feelings about Cyber before it even airs because it's not really fair IMO. I mean, Cyber isn't really CSI: DC or anything like that, it's a different premise, a new spin on the procedural-crime-drama franchise. I think it could be pretty interesting, and I'm always here for keeping the franchise going, so here's hoping it turns out great! :thumbsup:

It doesn't hurt that they've got a few big name actors in the cast already--hopefully they keep it small and focus on just those few people. (Although I'd like to see them add at least one more female character, and I do wish there was someone who wasn't white in the main cast. There might be recurring characters we haven't heard of yet, but I guess we'll see...)

I also hope they have writers on staff who really know their stuff, computer/internet-wise. I think that's one of the issues Cyber will have to overcome to get a decent audience: it'll need to feel authentic, like everybody really knows what they're talking about. The CSIs shows have always taken some liberties with science and technology, and I don't really mind that, but people have a lot of feelings about the internet (considering that some of us practically live on here :lol:). CBS is considered the 'old people' network, and clueless/incorrect/outdated facts and dialogue certainly won't help the show survive. I saw some complaints about "Kitty", like that weird thing where she kept typing a response and the digital woman fell apart. Um... :wtf: I'm pretty sure that's not how it works? It was an interesting visual, but a lot of people aren't going to watch a show that gets everything wrong.

Anyway, this got super long! *backs away slowly*

6. A.D.A.M

A.D.A.M Rookie

You know, I return to CSI Miami and CSI NY cause I wrote a thesis on studies (don't know if you understand what I mean :lol: ) and I wrote about serial killers from drama series like CSI, CSI Miami, CSI NY and Criminal Minds co return to old episodes is exciting, but is sad to, cause I love Miami and CBS you know, they throw a series even when viewers and fans ask them for a short final season... Hope that they will end CSI and Cyber (ewentually) with respect ending :)

7. Faylinn

Yeah, it's nice when the show gets some sort of closure--luckily for CSI: NY, it got several years of maybe-series-finales to end things before the actual end. They had plenty of warning! :lol:

I don't like to think of CSI ending. I'm not sure Cyber can really rekindle the fire the series had in years past, but it would be nice if that were the case. I'd like to think of the franchise lasting for a while yet.

8. A.D.A.M

A.D.A.M Rookie

I think that problem was that CBS still wait, I mean, they don't give a sign something like "listen, after 13,14 episodes you have a good ratings, so we give you another season, but we will wait to announce this some weeks". In this way writers know that they have next season, so they can prepare a cliff-hanger. After season 6 finale from NY they had three one episode case in season finale, when they can put cliff-hanger in 07x22, later they could do something more in 08x18 than only Mac talking with every singel person from the team. But you know, now we can talk "do this, do that". Hope that Cyber will get a good run :)

9. Faylinn

Okay, I'm bringing this thread back since Cyber has an official premiere date. Instead of Sundays as originally reported, the show will debut on Wednesday, March 4 at 10pm ET/PT (CSI's old timeslot).

Scrolling through my previous responses in here, I notice that I was hoping for another female character and someone who wasn't white--since this thread was opened, both of those wishes have been fulfilled! Shad Moss (aka Bow Wow) is on the show as a computer hacker, and so is Hayley Kiyoko. They're both listed as series regulars, but I don't know if that means they'll be in every episode or not. I guess we'll see! :)

10. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Wow, I didn't even realize they had changed time-slots already. :lol: Thanks for letting us know!

That said, I voted that I probably won't watch but I might change my mind. I suppose a more accurate response would be that I'll probably give it a shot and watch the premiere if I remember it's on and maybe a couple more episodes but I'll lose interest and forget it ever existed. :p That's sort of the way I've been viewing television lately anyhow. I'd be very surprised if I became a fan of this iteration (or any new crime drama for that matter).

Kind of sad to think about, but my tastes have changed and it's been so long since I sat down to watch some good ol' CSI. Maybe this will kick-start my fangirling again, I don't know but it seems unlikely. :/

11. Faylinn

I feel you. :lol: I barely watch TV at all anymore, and it's difficult for me to get invested in new shows. (Heck, I can barely keep up with shows I know I like.) I'm going to watch Cyber and see how it goes, though.

I like the fact that it's a female lead, and the cast interactions on Twitter make it seem like they all get along and are having fun. :D

12. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Especially when they tend to get cancelled before they can find their footing. I'm hoping Cyber does get a chance to revive the franchise and gain some new (and existing) fans, even if my own interest is lacklustre for the moment.

I have to admit, I haven't really looked into the cast since the show was announced though I'm not the biggest fan of Patricia Arquette. Here's to hoping it's an ensemble that works well after the kinks are ironed out. There are so many shows on right now that seem poorly and awkwardly cast--at least to me. CSI's usually been pretty good at finding a chemistry that works, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

13. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

I have the strong feeling that CSI: Cyber would be the Phoenix that reborn CSI, but CSI: Las Vegas is alredy dead, CBS have faith in this new spin off that is sure if they change from Sundays (where the show's go to die) to the day where CSI was before. Is sad but for me CSI: Las Vegas is done.

But it will be fun to see this new show came and make me remember the original first 8 seasons of CSI where everything was good and beautiful.

14. Faylinn

15. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I'm not sure. Need to watch other shows but most of them have been on so long or are canceled too soon.