CSI: Crime Scene Investigation--'Way To Go'

CSI Files

Captain
Synopsis:

Picking up where "Bang Bang" left off, Brass is rushed to the hospital where a surgical team rushes to save his life. Grissom has the power of attorney, given to him several months prior when Brass confided in him about the troubles with his daughter, Ellie. Grissom is called away from the hospital to a crime scene: a man's decapitated body has been found on the train tracks, his head nowhere in sight. Grissom finds a toupee, which could belong to their victim. David Phillips is surprised to pull aside the man's old-fashioned underwear to reveal an unnaturally thin 19 inch waist. Catherine and Warrick are across town at the apartment of Manny Rupert who was clearly living it up before his death: he's surrounded by all sorts of alcohol and drugs. Warrick finds a gun, and Catherine finds the bloody remnants of the mirror, and bullet holes in the wood back of the mirror.

Nick locates the decapitated head by the river, which Dr. Robbins puts with the body in the morgue. He shows Grissom how the man's organs were displaced by whatever he used to shape his waist, and points out that he was killed by a bullet to the chest--not decapitation. Manny Rupert's last night on earth seems to have been a wild one--his blood alcohol was incredibly high, and he had all sorts of drugs in his system. There's evidence of sexual activity in every orifice of his body, and the CSIs take DNA samples in the hopes of discovering the identity of the woman he was with. At the hospital, Grissom authorizes surgery to remove the bullet lodged by Brass's heart and calls Ellie. When Ellie arrives, she's surly and defensive, brushing off Grissom's offer to get her a hotel room. Grissom returns to his lab and studies a book on corsets that reveals men wore them as well. He and Sara go to an old-fashioned clothing store where the salesman, Mr. Phillipe, recognizes their victim as Caleb Carson, who didn't just look the part but acted it. The CSIs go to Caleb's house where they find Civil War era memorabilia. Carson fancied himself a Confederate--a son of the south.

Prints from a soda can in Manny's apartment lead the CSIs to Sindee Houston, a prostitute who admits to being with him the evening of his death. Things were going great until after six rounds of sex she wanted to leave and he got irate. He pulled a gun and fired at her but missed and she got out of the apartment. Sofia questions Gregory Kimble, Caleb's dresser--his prints were on Caleb's corsets. He says he last saw Caleb at a Civil War reenactment of the battle of Gettysburg. A trip to the reenactment field reveals that Caleb challenged another man to a duel after he caught the man talking on his cell phone. The man didn't have real bullets, but Caleb did. Grissom is puzzled when he finds a large pool of blood where Caleb was standing, but Bobby Dawson confirms that the other man wasn't using real bullets. The toupee from the train tracks holds the key--the epithelials on it match Kimble. Kimble says it was an accident--he and Caleb fought over the gun after the man Caleb shot at fled. The gun went off killing Caleb, but Kimble couldn't leave him like that, so he took him to the train tracks and reenacted the death of one of his ancestors, who faced down an on-coming train.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

Re: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation--"Way To Go"

Great review Kristine! Although I didn't like the episode, I always enjoy your reviews. :)

Well, the review was certainly... well written. :lol:

Sounds like this finale didn't go over too well! :lol: What didn't you guys like about it?

*cough*how the ending went*cough*

And the lack of development in the Brass storyline. ugh.

I twasn't even the ending for me, even though I could have lived without it. Sara and Grissom- don't care either way, actually. It ranks up there with Tina and Warrick's relationship! :lol:

It was just a couple boring cases and a side order of Brass. It just wasn't finale material. I mean, I thought it started out with potential but by the halfway mark I was thinking, "Something interesting better happen soon. This is not panning out to be much of a finale." Unfortunately, aside from Brass surviving (YAY! :D ) and a bunch of GSR-ers getting a treat, nothing much of interest happened in this episode. I was looking for another Tarentino finale, I swear, but this wouldn't even have been much of show during the regular season.

I twasn't even the ending for me, even though I could have lived without it. Sara and Grissom- don't care either way, actually. It ranks up there with Tina and Warrick's relationship!

I think Warrick's and Tina's relationship wasn't even hardly brought up during the season. We saw more glances between Grissom and Sara than we did Warrick and Tina thru-ought the whole season. And when I heard that Warrick was getting married, I thought we'd see alot, or hear alot between them. But the most we got was a Yoko Ono comment! :lol:

I agree that the cases were completely routine. I think part of the problem is that there really was no way to top that Tarantino finale, so they decided to go the opposite route and go with a combo of quirky and routine. The drama and excitement came from Brass's predicament and seeing Grissom and Sara together (whether people liked it or not, it was pretty shocking and I think that's what the writers were banking on).

I think they could have done better on the cases, but I think the intention was to show a business as usual episode with a couple of twists. Brass's plight, Ellie's conflict and Grissom and Sara together--I guess these things were the draw. I really liked the personal stuff--Ellie's reaction to Brass being shot was particularly strong--but I think if you didn't, I can see how it would make it a pretty weak episode.

I actually would have liked MORE Ellie and Brass stuff- might have saved us from the tedium of the cases. I have no problem with showing the routine, but don't make it boring! :lol:

I would have liked more Brass and Ellie stuff, too, though I thought they didn't shortchange that story, which was good. I didn't quite find the cases boring--the corset guy was more interesting than the guy who partied himself to death--but they were pretty average.

As I said somewhere else, I understood ONE case to show life kept going on, but the second case about the bender guy just felt like filler. We could have seen more with Ellie and Brass... or even that scene that seems to have been taken out with the emotional Grissom (from the promos... You saw Grissom running, looked like he had been crying... THAT would have been really compelling)... It just felt like they threw in the second case when they had enough material they could have used to show how Brass' condition was effecting everyone.. I wish they'd make a "director's cut" of the finale on the DVD.

BabaOReilly said:
I twasn't even the ending for me, even though I could have lived without it. Sara and Grissom- don't care either way, actually. It ranks up there with Tina and Warrick's relationship! :lol:

REALLY???? It ranked 'up there with Tina and Warrick'?? I don't think so! Sara and Grissom have been eying each other for years! It was awesome to FINALLY see Grissom hook up with her! Even though the finale was fairly anti-climatic (again, like most have said - how could they have competed with last season's Tarantino finale??) - the minute Sara came out in her bathrobe...my jaw hit the floor! I can't wait to see what's up next season!

I went in the episode grading thread yesterday for "Way to Go" and I was actually surprised to see how greatly the fandom is divided on the issue of Sara and Grissom. I don't really ship any couples per se for CSI, but I've always liked the dynamic between Sara and Grissom and figured that at some point (given their mutual attraction) something might happen between them. But I can understand how others might feel differently, and I did find a lot of the posts in the grading thread very enlightening!

ship any couples per se for CSI, but I've always liked the dynamic between Sara and Grissom

*eyes Top*

No, I respect it. It just seemed, that after all these seasons, of Grissom turning her down, forced. And it didn't seem real. And it just ruined the episode even more.

^Chemistry is definitely in the eye of the beholder, that's for sure! I think both Grissom and Sara have loosened up this year, but it would have been nice to see a little more lead up to seeing them together in that room.

Back