"Brain Doe" Discussion thread **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Nov 5, 2011.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Great episode! Everyone got a nice moment tonight, and I'm really intrigued by what's going to happen for Catherine.

I really wish season twelve started happening right after Billy left; this season has been amazingly strong.

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Yeah, I'm curious too with the Catherine storyline.

3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

The brain thing was fun, sometimes confusing, but fun lol. I especially liked how giddy Morgan was in autopsy. I liked Doc's reaction to her and it seems he is developing a soft spot for her, it was a very sweet, funny, nice scene between them.

Oh Cath, you're breaking my heart :(. It's impending doom. Though I have to say that if she does take the job it's a nice out for Cath after all the Langston fiasco and her demotion. I really did not want that to be how she was send off. The one thing I really did not like about this episode was her scene with Vartann. The CSI franchise's black hole of relationships strikes again. After all this time we have no idea what's up with them. This was definitely a good moment to clear that up, but nope! Also there was very little Cath :shifty:.

There were some really nice character moments and the end did surprise me so I give this one a solid B. Good episode :).

4. KaiLUxO

KaiLUxO Police Officer

Really liked the episode! Better than the last two. I loved how everyone got some screentime--whether it was a little or a lot.

Morgan and Doc scenes were hilarious.

Hodges had some great scenes with DB and Sara.

Brass was cute as he fathered the boy. My dad called the boy killing his dad for the abuse. I thought it was weird/funny how Brass shared his hitting his dad. That's how I knew the boy did it.

DB and his son lol we're seeing/hearing more of his family than any other cast member.

Cath's scene was bittersweet. I'm glad she seems really keen on taking this new job, just no one wants to see her go :( And that scene with Vartann was awkward and unnecessary! They could've done more with that! We got jipped!

Anyway...nice episode. Some very funny jokes/lines. Enjoyable B :)

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Pretty good episode.
    I liked the character moments more than the actual crime. Maybe I was just tired, but I got confused during the course of the episode with the relationships of the different victims and the brains. It all made sense, kind of, in the end. I figured the kid had killed his father. It seems like over the years we have had just as many kid killers as kid victims. Terribly sad, but not so shocking anymore; which is probably just as sad.

A healthy dose of Sara this week, finally. I liked her scene with Hodges. I think it's fun when Jorja invokes a little of her own personality into Sara. She also had some good scenes with Greg and Nick. And she looked great!

Another phone call from DB's wife; no doubt thrown in there for Smokey's benefit. :lol:
    I admit, I personally would be less annoyed if Sara could get one now and then from Grissom. Seriously.

I really, really like the Sheriff, and I loved her scene with Marg. I like the job offer for Catherine and I hope that is what's planned for her exit.
    I did think her scene with Vartan was awkward, and seemed unnecessary. Maybe it was to show that they have both moved on since they did seem a little cool to each other. Who knows.

A B+ for the episode from me. Much better than last 2 episodes, IMO.

6. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Not a shock on the Cath storyline, as Marg made it known she would be leaving/reducing her role on the show. At least for once it will be a graceful exit.
    As for the case itself..I knew the minute it was a murder the kid was going to be the doer. No sympathy for the dad at all...you reap what you sow sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  7. Liv89

Liv89 Dead on Arrival

This was an awesome episode! At last we got a decent amount of Sara, rather than her being in the background all the time. Some lovely moments throughout including hodges and sara talking about the chicken nuggets, D.B. and his son and Morgan in autopsy. In my opinion its the best episode of the season so far :)

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Of course! :lol: But they've upped the ante now bringing the kid in. ;) It's fine...I get it...DB is a great husband, a great dad....it's been established. I don't need a heavy reminder every week tho.

I like this one. I figured out the brain swap early on, but wasn't sure what the reason was. The kid...saw that coming a mile away with Brass talking to him about his own dad and all.

Liked Morgan's scenes...we need to see more of her in her "natural environment"...not in a crisis situation like the helicopter.

Seemed like the Catherine/Lou scene had a little tension in it...they acted like they weren't more than friends...if that.

I loved the music scene with Hodges processing. :lol:

9. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Pretty good ep, I give it a 86%

Pretty interesting scene with Sheriff Liston and Catherine :) and little Brass backstory

Greg in a suit :drool: and a red tie, my favorite color

Vartann was back :) couldn't tell what's going on with him and Catherine :shifty: hmmmmm

Some good Hodges stuff :) most of him we've seen all season I think

Can't think of anything else

10. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

This is my favorite episode so far this season. It's a bit more gruesome than the usual, not to mention the Criminal Minds episode that aired just right before. :eek: But the whose brain was which was kind of fun to follow.

I love the possibility of move out to move up for Catherine. It's much better that quitting.

11. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

This season has started out very strong. This one fell short. It was so-so for me. Felt like a NY episode instead of CSI original.

Morgan was a bit excited in the autopsy room, but it annoyed me so I tuned her out. She seemed so very hyped up and I couldn't watch her. It seemed a bit of a departure from her character. But that's me.

The killer was easy to spot, as soon as they said the trainers name, I knew (along with a lot of others) that it was him. As the episode was coming to a close, I sort of wanted a CSI twist, but there wasn't one. So that's why I gave this episode less than a stellar review.

The Catherine/Lou scene seemed very out of place. She could have been talking to Nicky for we knew. It seemed like a waste of time if nothing was resolved between them. I guess I'm just looking down the line at the spoilers for her upcoming storyline and ultimate departure. :(

Not my favorite of the season. I give a so-so.

12. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Have to admit that this episode didn't really hold my attention but there was a really nice mix of character moments - classic Hodges moments to boot.

The back story for Brass was a welcome surprise, perfectly portrayed by Paul as usual.

The interaction between Cath and Vartann reminded me of earlier seasons where Vartann would seem to be reaching out to talk to Catherine and she would essentially ignore him as well as barely look at him.

The job offer for Catherine was interesting....
    if she does hook up with FBI guy and take the job then FBI HQ and DC field office won't be far away!

One thing that did occur to me is why they bother bringing Vartann in for such a small scene, would be better if Vartann was the detective for episodes where Paul is absent.

13. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I don't think NY eps are all that bad, all of them anyway...not sure why the comparison there.

Now I have visions of Cath taking the job with the FBI, ending up working with them, and then showing up for a CSI NY episode...it'd be tricky, though, since Jo's the natural one for FBI tie ins. I'd like it, though not as much without Stella around.

I'm starting to wonder about my perception lol. I am never able to pick up on these things as early as the rest of you. It makes me sad. I didn't have any thoughts about the killer that early on...it didn't even click it was a homicide until later, although that part I really should have guessed, it being CSI and all.

14. ThirdMrsGrissom

ThirdMrsGrissom Victim

I'm really enjoying the entire twelfth season so far, and this episode was just as strong (if not stronger) than the first six - although I did really love the season premiere. I really like both of the new characters and Morgan in particular shows new sides of her personality every episode.

Usually, I complain when episodes don't have enough Sara in, what with her being my favourite character, but recently I've been having that kind of experience with episodes without much Cath, because her time's so short. (And as an aside, on the subject of Cath, I've been re-watching season 1 and she's aged incredibly well.) But I'll agree with what others have said about there being some really good scenes with some of the characters such as Hodges, and I'll also echo the comment about Greg in a suit (drool).

As far as the case goes, I'm tired and have a lot on my mind right now so I did get pretty confused towards the end, but I did think it was an interesting one - and I love any kind of gruesome scenes/images in CSI, so I got plenty of that. I reckon the knowing straight away who the killer is is just something that happens when you know the show really well, because you get so much into the mindset of the way the writers think. Occupational hazard of watching too many repeats while eating dinner, I guess.

Overall, no significant complaints, although I'll juyst throw this out there (not necessarily as a bad thing, just an observation): have we ever heard as much about the personal life of any one character during their entire time on the show than we have about DB during his first seven episodes?

15. byline

byline CSI Level One

I really enjoyed this episode, though like others, I found the whole "whose brain is it?" back and forth kind of confusing. I thought there was something significant about the kid, given Brass's interactions with him, but I didn't really think he was the killer. And the shock on Brass's face (perfectly played by Paul) as he knew what the boy was about to say, and tried to stop him from saying it, was classic "CSI"; it really took me back to the early years of the series.

It will be interesting to see where they go with Catherine. I like the idea of her moving up in a "man's world" . . . and I like the sheriff helping her out. As for Catherine and Vartann, I sensed an unspoken awkwardness that would be typical of a couple with unresolved differences. Makes me wonder if they still are not seeing eye-to-eye on what each expects for their relationship, and so that's where they had to leave it.