Being A Southpaw (a.k.a. Left-handed)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by mandy9578, Aug 30, 2007.

1. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I wear my watch on both hands mostly my left hand though! I'm good using both my hands. Can write with both. But since I use my right more left is more sloppy! I am one of the few cases that can use both hands with anything :p Never practised writing with my left and I am able to do it and it is very readable.

My stronger eye is my right one..
    point to one point a little far away and close one of your eyes. then the other.. One will be still at the point you pointed the other won't. The one eye that is still one the point is your stronger eye. I most cases lefties have a stronger left eye and people who are the righties have a stronger right eye...

I snowboard goofy and when I tried skateboarding/surfing I surfed regular :p

I also use my mouse in both hands. especially in school. depends were I have more space :lol:

People who can do both naturally are pretty rare! I can't help it :rolleyes:

ETA: and my feet are the same size!

2. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I think my left eye is better than my right, but I get them mixed up so, I'm not sure. Ashley Tisdale is left handed.

3. nessy

nessy Witness

My left eye is terrible. It's lazy and therefore doesn't work properly. So my right eye was trained to take over. Sucks given that my right eye is also short sighted but the vision in it is correctable unlike my left eye.
    Think it must be down to be a left handed person born to a mainly right handed family that has a history of lazy left eyes. My mum has a lazy left eye too, as does a few of my dad's family.

4. sidlewannabee

A couple of my cousins are left handed.

5. wibble

wibble Corpse

Just a reminder to please try and add more content to your posts (i.e. more than one line). Thanks :)

6. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I wear glasses as well as contact lenses. The grade of my left eye is +0.75 while my right is at +2.75...The vision in my left eye is definitely much better than that of my right...However, I only wear glasses when I read, watch TV and use the computer since I am farsighted...as for my contacts, I can only wear them up to 8 hours per day since my eyes are too dry.

7. PintSizeGenius

PintSizeGenius Lab Technician

I wear glasses. I'm not sure which eye is better for me. But, i've been wearing glasses since i was 7 (8 years). Runs in the family.

8. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I don't wear glasses, not yet anyway :)

Back to the shoes, everyone's feet are slightly different. Trust me I worked for Nordstrom for years ;)
    But if you are either left or right handed, that is the dominate foot as well. I'm not sure whether that has any affect on your feet and their size.

What I can tell you about being left handed, is that I personally, am more creative and emotional. More right-brained. My husband is right-handed and he is more analytical. He's an engineer.

What do other left-handed/right-brained people have to say?

9. PintSizeGenius

PintSizeGenius Lab Technician

I'm left-handed, but have a analytical brain... Okay, i'm just weird :D I'm rubbish at art and drama, although i'm good at music. But i'm much better at science, maths and stuff like that. It's strange coz usually left-handed people are more arty. I dunno, i'm just weird :D

PSG xxx

10. nessy

nessy Witness

PSG, I'm a bit like that too so you aren't alone. I prefer the analytical stuff like science and maths though my maths does leave something to be desired at as i'm not great at it. I used to love drama though but lack creativity in art and completely useless at music.
    However I am quite creative in my thinking, not necessarily in the arts but in how I problem solve and use of logic. Does come in handy especially as I'm training to be a manager at the minute and am supposed to be demonstrating these skills. But the levels do vary between the individual as my friend is also left handed but we display different strengths in these areas. I think it really depends on many factors like nature and nurture.

11. fastfoodjunkie

fastfoodjunkie Rookie

I'm not at all artisitic and I don't like doing drama but I enjoying playing music and I'm quite analytical at the same time. I do wear glasses and I think my left eye is better but it's not by much and my left eye has stayed the same while my right eye is slowly getting worse.

12. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I'm the same way too! I have no artistic bone in my body which is really sad since I've taken art lessons as well as ballet for years...I'm creative in my way of thinking too...When I have to go somewhere for instance, I can come up with different ways of how to get to that particular place...My Mom would say that I think geometrically...I attack problems from different angles, I guess...

Oh yeah...as for my eyes, I just went to my opthalmologist and I just found out that the grade of my right eye went up from +2.75 to +3.00 while that of my left eye remained the same...I couldn't see anything when she had me cover my left eye, everything was blurred...she says my right eye is so weak that my left eye actually saves my right one.

13. sidlewannabee

I have noticed that a lot of people are left handed. Years ago, I didn't know very many people that were left handed. A lot of my teachers now are left handed.

14. nessy

nessy Witness

That's probably cos they used to force previous generations to be right handed if they appeared at all to be left handed. This generation and the next are breaking the mould a bit, good on us all!!

My eye sight is -3.00 in my right eye and I have a balance in my left eye as I don't see much with it. To be honest if I cover either eye up without my glasses I can't see anything at all. Doubt I'd even be able to see enough to put contacts in, which is one of the reasons I don't wear them.

15. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

You notice that there are more lefties nowadays since people are now more liberal in their way of thinking...In my family for instance, my Mom's eldest sister, who was born in the late '30s was forced to write with her right hand, while their youngest sister, who is 19 years younger than the eldest, wasn't forced at all.

Previous generations were forced to write right-handed since being left-handed was seen as 'sinister', sinister being Latin for left hand. :rolleyes: